Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Oct 2, 2013, 08:30 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoz View Post
Care to elaborate?
Sure - just a single post though so as not to derail.

1. Inconsistent. Why can Alyx knock out 5 combine hand to hand and Gordon gets taken out with one hit?

2. Why can't Gordon run without his suit?

3. Where are his hands? Suspension of disbelief destroyed. Too much focus on the grav. gun's capabilities while leaving a pretty important detail out. Hand models are far from undoable.

4. Having to use a specific weapon to kill snipers. Really tacky and cheap. More on that below.

5. NPCs crowding player in close confines during battle absolutely ruined the experience. Couldn't kill them to clear room either iirc.

6. Barney nagging like there's no tomorrow. "To the roof!" over and over and over...very irritating.

7. Striders - awesome antagonist for sure, but again, can only damage them with specific weapons...or was it only RLs? Don't remember, but there's some powerful weaponry in that game, so this doesn't make sense. The battles with the giant ant-lions are a good example - they could be damaged by anything and everything you could pick up with the grav. gun or shoot. The prison battle was great fun - sinks and all.

I'm going to leave off there. The game does have it's pluses for sure, but the above was enough to relegate it to 'meh' status for me.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:00 AM   #32
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwood View Post

1. Inconsistent. Why can Alyx knock out 5 combine hand to hand and Gordon gets taken out with one hit?

3. Where are his hands? Suspension of disbelief destroyed. Too much focus on the grav. gun's capabilities while leaving a pretty important detail out. Hand models are far from undoable.

4. Having to use a specific weapon to kill snipers. Really tacky and cheap. More on that below.

5. NPCs crowding player in close confines during battle absolutely ruined the experience. Couldn't kill them to clear room either iirc.

6. Barney nagging like there's no tomorrow. "To the roof!" over and over and over...very irritating.

7. Striders - awesome antagonist for sure, but again, can only damage them with specific weapons...or was it only RLs? Don't remember, but there's some powerful weaponry in that game, so this doesn't make sense. The battles with the giant ant-lions are a good example - they could be damaged by anything and everything you could pick up with the grav. gun or shoot. The prison battle was great fun - sinks and all.

I'm going to leave off there. The game does have it's pluses for sure, but the above was enough to relegate it to 'meh' status for me.
Those are pretty minor and nit picky to be honest.

The only one i agree with is the friendlies blocking your way.

I replayed the game a week ago, and it's still one of the top FPS ever made. Currently going through EP2, lots of fun.
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:40 AM   #33
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Those are pretty minor and nit picky to be honest.

The only one i agree with is the friendlies blocking your way.

I replayed the game a week ago, and it's still one of the top FPS ever made. Currently going through EP2, lots of fun.
To each their own.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:14 PM   #34
Ancient76
Rage3D Veteran

Ancient76 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAncient76 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

8. Stupid story started with first HL. You are Gordon Freeman, theoretical physicist who suddenly acts like Rambo.
In HL2 story doesn't exist, but it's not surprising when you see mistakes in first HL.

9. Very poor AI.

10. Very linear. Especially after you played Far Cry.
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:33 PM   #35
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient76 View Post
8. Stupid story started with first HL. You are Gordon Freeman, theoretical physicist who suddenly acts like Rambo.
In HL2 story doesn't exist, but it's not surprising when you see mistakes in first HL.

9. Very poor AI.

Well, wasn't going to post about it again, but I had to +1 that. I'll stop now, sorry OP.

EDIT: OT - I did lose interest in HL3 simply due to the time that's passed, but I really do hope it lives up to, or surpasses fan's expectations.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:40 PM   #36
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled with

I don't think it's possible for me to lose interest in the HL series.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 01:25 PM   #37
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasef View Post
I don't think it's possible for me to lose interest in the HL series.
In all fairness anything official from Valve would help immensely .... They are the ones who rolled out the episodic model for HL after all, yet nary a statement when they failed to deliver.

I do understand wanting to avoid a barrage of questions, or another leak...but just something....dunno.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 01:31 PM   #38
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

9. Very poor AI.

Story is very good actually, but if you want a good story read a book.

AI was ok, nothing amazing.

Its a sequel to a linear corridor shooter what did you expect? The Elder Scrolls?
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 01:47 PM   #39
Ancient76
Rage3D Veteran

Ancient76 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAncient76 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Story is very good actually, but if you want a good story read a book.

AI was ok, nothing amazing.

Its a sequel to a linear corridor shooter what did you expect? The Elder Scrolls?
I have explained what is wrong with story. It's stupid and doesn't make sense. And it doesn't need to be on a level of a book.

Remember videos and hype about the best AI before game was out. Compare it to the Far Cry AI.

It is a sequel and it makes sense. But after Far Cry experience i couldn't play HL2. New standards! I have hardly finished HL2.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 02:14 PM   #40
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Exciting news, if its true. Can't wait to see what they've been working on.

Surely, for it to be something special and live up to the franchise, many gameplay advancements will have to be made, and will have to be a "next-gen" title. Both HL 1 and 2 still hold up OK if played now but certainly are dated when compared to more recent, open world type games and game engines. This long of a wait better see a much more significant jump both in gameplay depth and technically than HL1 > HL2 was.

First and foremost, they had better be developing this for Source Engine 2.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 02:20 PM   #41
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
I have explained what is wrong with story. It's stupid and doesn't make sense. And it doesn't need to be on a level of a book.

Remember videos and hype about the best AI before game was out. Compare it to the Far Cry AI.

It is a sequel and it makes sense. But after Far Cry experience i couldn't play HL2. New standards! I have hardly finished HL2.
Not every game has to be like FarCry in terms of openness. There are games (like FarCry) for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 02:21 PM   #42
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I can't wait for the ability to sell crowbar skins for real money, or whatever crazy monetizing scheme they can come up with.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 02:25 PM   #43
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
I can't wait for the ability to sell crowbar skins for real money, or whatever crazy monetizing scheme they can come up with.
Also for its multiplayer aspect, since Valve said they are no longer going to do pure SP games. Yey nextgen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 03:32 PM   #44
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

So I am guessing this is a strategically timed intentional leak by Valve. Anyone not think so?

Just seems like too much of a coincidence right after the announcement of the Steam Machines.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 03:58 PM   #45
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
In all fairness anything official from Valve would help immensely .... They are the ones who rolled out the episodic model for HL after all, yet nary a statement when they failed to deliver.

I do understand wanting to avoid a barrage of questions, or another leak...but just something....dunno.
Yeah, but I've learned not to hope for such things as official information from Valve

Still really hope they actually are working on HL3 though. And that it's not TOO far off.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 09:14 PM   #46
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Half life 2...enemy soldier's AI was abysmal compared to HL 1....
NIGELG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:16 PM   #47
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
1. Element of surprise
2. Game mechanic
3. Hands? Gravity gun shows his hands, most weapons show hands. Crowbar...has hands. Edit: OHHH you mean no hands when you pick up things. Bleh seriously. Why is there no nose when you look down? What can't you see the rims of his glasses?
4. Nades, nade launcher, rollermines, exploding barrels? Many games have enemies which can only be killed specific ways.
5. Ok, valid
6. wtf lol?
7. combine rifle alt fire or RPG primarily. Can use explosive barrels too. They have hard armor so it makes sense they don't just take bullets.

conclusion, u crazy son

Last edited by nutcrackr : Oct 2, 2013 at 11:20 PM.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:29 PM   #48
lukilla
Radeon Northern Islands

lukilla is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post
Half life 2...enemy soldier's AI was abysmal compared to HL 1....

They gave some good fights, in the jail they were tough
lukilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 08:01 AM   #49
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
1. Element of surprise
2. Game mechanic
3. Hands? Gravity gun shows his hands, most weapons show hands. Crowbar...has hands. Edit: OHHH you mean no hands when you pick up things. Bleh seriously. Why is there no nose when you look down? What can't you see the rims of his glasses?
4. Nades, nade launcher, rollermines, exploding barrels? Many games have enemies which can only be killed specific ways.
5. Ok, valid
6. wtf lol?
7. combine rifle alt fire or RPG primarily. Can use explosive barrels too. They have hard armor so it makes sense they don't just take bullets.

conclusion, u crazy son
I know that.

Like I said, to each their own. If you enjoyed a mediocre game, that's cool.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 09:11 AM   #50
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
I know that.

Like I said, to each their own. If you enjoyed a mediocre game, that's cool.
Did you play the game when it was released, or some time after?
Old Oct 3, 2013, 09:15 AM   #51
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post
Did you play the game when it was released, or some time after?
Both actually. Day of release, then got back into it a couple years later with a bunch of mods including a co-op mod, can't remember the name of that one though.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 09:28 AM   #52
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

Far Cry 2 bored the **** out of me after just a couple of hours. They fixed it with patches and some changes over the years, but I still get bored stiff, because I don't care about the character.

Gordon Freeman though, his character I DO care about, because you are he

Also, the Cinematic mods out there make the game so much more difficult, so much more atmospheric, I love it
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 09:35 AM   #53
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

Gordon's destroyed pretty much everything there is to destroy by his lonesome I'd say he's pretty badass.

Quote:
If he's wearing a suit, it makes sense he can't be sprinting around if the suit doesn't have power. Without the suit, sure, he should be able to sprint.

Quote:
Happens in many games. It's annoying the first time, but it added to the tactical challenge

Quote:
The AI is not bad and makes you have to improvise on the hardest difficulties. Not as hard as Half Life

Quote:
If you play with developer commentary on, you'll note they had to implement certain prompts to help folks get out of some situations because, unfortunately, some folks didn't know what to do in some places. It's possible Barney is nagging because otherwise some people wouldn't go up the stairs.

Quote:
You can damage them with a energy balls as well, but RL's are probably the easiest way to kill them

Quote:
To each their own

I grew up with the game so I love it. Lots of nostalgia there for me. But I don't expect everyone to like what I do

Also, Cinematic Mods have allowed me to complete probably 20 odd run-throughs of the game. No other game, save for Civ 5, have I ever played that many times from the beginning in SP mode.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:28 AM   #54
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Both actually. Day of release, then got back into it a couple years later with a bunch of mods including a co-op mod, can't remember the name of that one though.
OK, just don't agree at all it was a mediocre game. I've come to realize you seem to be quite picky with the games you like though, so maybe that's it.

For me, it was an absolute blast to play when it was released. Probably one of, if not the greatest shooter I've ever played at that time. This news of a possible HL3 announcement looming, kind of makes me want to fire it up and play through again which would be my 4th time I believe.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:56 PM   #55
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post
OK, just don't agree at all it was a mediocre game. I've come to realize you seem to be quite picky with the games you like though, so maybe that's it.

For me, it was an absolute blast to play when it was released. Probably one of, if not the greatest shooter I've ever played at that time. This news of a possible HL3 announcement looming, kind of makes me want to fire it up and play through again which would be my 4th time I believe.
That's about the size of it.

Saz - you spent entirely too much time on that post.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:58 PM   #56
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Saz - you spent entirely too much time on that post.
Took less than a minute, I type fast when I am not fact checking
Old Oct 3, 2013, 01:14 PM   #57
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Took less than a minute, I type fast when I am not fact checking
Old Oct 3, 2013, 01:37 PM   #58
Ancient76
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrygian View Post
Not every game has to be like FarCry in terms of openness. There are games (like FarCry) for that.
I agree. That's why another game "The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay" is also one of my favorite. It's from the same year.

But when i saw Far Cry and effort that developers have put in it, i was literally shocked! Nothing similar has ever been released before. Crytek has showed to both Valve and id Software how to make FPS, and not some stale corridor shooter concept.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 01:46 PM   #59
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
I agree. That's why another game "The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay" is also one of my favorite. It's from the same year.

But when i saw Far Cry and effort that developers have put in it, i was literally shocked! Nothing similar has ever been released before. Crytek has showed to both Valve and id Software how to make FPS, and not some stale corridor shooter concept.
It's a shame that Crytek has just made turds ever since.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 01:51 PM   #60
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Crytek has become the new iD Software.