Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Sep 25, 2019, 02:33 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Default So Quest is getting Rift support... cool!

Oculus announced that they'll be adding support for Quest to run Rift games over a USB cable. It'll be in a software update coming out later this year. imo, this makes the Quest the ultimate VR solution.

... Also finger tracking.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-q...uest-and-more/

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580

Last edited by SubCog : Sep 26, 2019 at 12:18 AM.
SubCog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:14 AM   #2
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

I'm pretty interested in this. Wireless beatsaber + wired sims that need the PC power.

Wish they used a thunderbolt 3 port on the Quest, meaning we could have FAR more bandwidth than USB C.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2019, 02:08 PM   #3
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
Wish they used a thunderbolt 3 port on the Quest, meaning we could have FAR more bandwidth than USB C.
Yup. Although they say it works pretty well, as they use fovial rendering... basically the edges of the image are lower resolution than the middle. Sure, it'd be better with more bandwidth, but think this sounds like a reasonable compromise.

I expect next year they'll have a Quest+ that supports wifi 6, and that'll solve everything.

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:30 AM   #4
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Cool video comparison between the Rift S and Quest. Shot through the lense. You can really see how soft the image quality in the Quest is compared to Rift S.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Nov 21, 2019, 07:43 PM   #5
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

The biggest problem with the Quest is it's only 72 Hz, which in my opinion is far too low of a refresh rate.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:18 PM   #6
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Jet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
The biggest problem with the Quest is it's only 72 Hz, which in my opinion is far too low of a refresh rate.
The Rift S is only 80hz. Would those 8hz make a difference? Obviously the Index is better at up to 144hz but I'm not even considering that because money.

I'm seriously considering the Quest right now because of the option for both a PC-free experience and PC games with the link cable. Family can use it and I can use it... graphic specs also seem better with the Quest, but maybe I don't understand how these things are reported:

Quest: PenTile OLED 1440 × 1600 per eye @ 72 Hz
Rift S: Fast-switch LCD 1280×1440 per eye @ 80 Hz

I just don't see why I would even consider a rift at this point.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2019, 05:48 PM   #7
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Well I heard some people say that they can run Rift games on their Quest even with AMD cards, despite Oculus saying that you can't. So I tried myself, with my RX580, and actually it works mostly well.

I had some trouble at first, but it turned out to be problems with my usb cables. I had bought a 4 pack of usb 3.0 cables from Amazon, that includes a 10ft, 2 x 6ft, and a 3ft. The 10ft wouldn't register at all, so I tried the 6ft, although it had all kinds of horrible stutter and would crash. Just for kicks I tried my 3ft cable, which turns out to work great! Except I can barely move my head at all. I need to order a longer, higher quality cable.

Image quality is surprisingly good, and there's no lag at all. Occasionally it will get choppy for a few seconds, but it's pretty clear that something's wrong then... maybe that's the unsupported GPU? Hopefully they'll have better support soon.

So far I've tried Lucky's Tale, Google Earth, and First Contact, and they all work great. It's the home screen that runs choppy though, I wonder why?

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:38 PM   #8
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Jet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
Well I heard some people say that they can run Rift games on their Quest even with AMD cards, despite Oculus saying that you can't. So I tried myself, with my RX580, and actually it works mostly well.

I had some trouble at first, but it turned out to be problems with my usb cables. I had bought a 4 pack of usb 3.0 cables from Amazon, that includes a 10ft, 2 x 6ft, and a 3ft. The 10ft wouldn't register at all, so I tried the 6ft, although it had all kinds of horrible stutter and would crash. Just for kicks I tried my 3ft cable, which turns out to work great! Except I can barely move my head at all. I need to order a longer, higher quality cable.

Image quality is surprisingly good, and there's no lag at all. Occasionally it will get choppy for a few seconds, but it's pretty clear that something's wrong then... maybe that's the unsupported GPU? Hopefully they'll have better support soon.

So far I've tried Lucky's Tale, Google Earth, and First Contact, and they all work great. It's the home screen that runs choppy though, I wonder why?
Hey, thanks for this! I don't have an AMD card but expect I'll pickup a quest during or after Black Friday (just waiting to see if there will be deals). I do have a cable on order.

You probably ordered a cable already, but this is the one that Oculus recommends until they have their own cable option: https://www.anker.com/products/varia...sb-30/A8167011
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:52 PM   #9
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
Hey, thanks for this! I don't have an AMD card but expect I'll pickup a quest during or after Black Friday (just waiting to see if there will be deals). I do have a cable on order.

You probably ordered a cable already, but this is the one that Oculus recommends until they have their own cable option: https://www.anker.com/products/varia...sb-30/A8167011
Yeah, Quest really is a no-brainer at this point... absolutely the best value in VR you can get.

All the good usb cables are sold out everywhere. It's funny 'cause USB 3.0 has been out for years, but I guess nobody's ever really cared about cables until now?

A guy on facebook mentioned that he's been using an active booster cable, and it works well, so I've ordered the same one.
We'll see how it works... it's 16ft, so if it's good it'll give me a ton of range. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Today, 12:34 PM   #10
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quest is getting support for AMD cards this week. Yay for me, with my RX580!

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-v12-update/
Oculus Link is the feature which allows Quest to act as a PC VR headset via a high quality USB 3.0 cable. It launched last month, but didn’t support AMD graphics cards– until now. Facebook lists the following card families as now supported:

AMD 400 Series
AMD 500 Series
AMD 5000 Series
AMD Vega Series
The 200 and 300 series are unsupported, but Facebook is “working directly with AMD to support as many of their cards as possible by the time the beta period ends.“

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro