Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Jan 24, 2018, 05:56 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
5 cards is not deep end but 6 is?
Based on experience, yes
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2018, 07:17 AM   #32
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide is still being judged by the masses

Yah my Titan xp are around 1900 core now but definitely NOT quiet lol
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2018, 07:51 AM   #33
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

What type of effect will this have on GPU lifespan
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 24, 2018, 07:55 AM   #34
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
What type of effect will this have on GPU lifespan
None whatsoever.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2018, 08:05 AM   #35
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Not sure if I want to get into the mining tbh. I have the hardware already granted not as much as I did earlier but I do have 5 gpus 3 1080ti + 2 txps, and getting another 2txps is whatevers. The electricity will still work out but in a way I feel like I would make more offing the cards I have on hand then I will in the time I mine with them till the next gen drops lol.

As in if I just sold these in a jacked up market and started mining with the next gen of gpus it would come out better than if I waited till next gen to drop and just mined during that time.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2018, 08:14 AM   #36
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
5 cards is not deep end but 6 is?
It's the equivalent of going "all in" during a poker game. It's a risk, a gamble. If you aren't prepared to lose it all, I'd advise against it. Especially if you don't understand everything you're getting into. Just having someone build a mining rig without understanding what you're dealing with seems foolish.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 08:19 AM   #37
Riptide

I wouldn't do anything with a credit card if you can't pay it off immediately or close to it. Just my opinion anyway.

And yah if you keep the GPU cool and have good air flow it should have little effect on the life span.

Nobody knows when Volta comes out however if it comes out soon the 10 series cards are going to have an immediate drop in value. Miners and gamers will also be trying hard to get them so stock will be short again and over time as the additional hash comes online from the new cards the 10 series are going to trend down on profitability.

It is actually in the miners best interest that Volta doesn't come out real soon if you just bought a 10 series card. Since there is more to PCs than mining however I hope it does come out because I want to get one and game on it.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Old Jan 24, 2018, 08:22 AM   #38
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

As long as you keep the hardware cool and keep the fans at a constant RPM you'll be fine. Having the fans constantly change speeds and running the fans at 100% will shorten the life of the fans on the card. Running the GPU at full load isn't going to kill it. Running it at full load at 80C+ will.

I personally run my cards at 100% power limit, hell my Titan Xp's are running at 120% power limit because I know the VRM's, memory chips, and the core are all being more than sufficiently cooled with full cover waterblocks. Just on my Titan Xp's it costs me a whole $4 a month to run them at 120% power limit over 100%. That's really the only reason people reduce power limits down to 80% or so, cost of power. I pay $0.06 kw/h
Old Jan 24, 2018, 08:28 AM   #39
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Did some quality of life changes today. Setup remote desktop to my Titan Xp rig so I can change things without having to physically be in front of it. Setup the mining programs to start with windows and to automatically start mining. Also downloaded an app on my phone (VNC Viewer) that allows me to see my desktop and control it remotely from my phone. This is incase the mining program goes down. I also setup alerts on nicehash's website to send me an email if a worker stops responding for greater than 10 minutes.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 08:30 AM   #40
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I wouldn't do anything with a credit card if you can't pay it off immediately or close to it. Just my opinion anyway.

And yah if you keep the GPU cool and have good air flow it should have little effect on the life span.

Nobody knows when Volta comes out however if it comes out soon the 10 series cards are going to have an immediate drop in value. Miners and gamers will also be trying hard to get them so stock will be short again and over time as the additional hash comes online from the new cards the 10 series are going to trend down on profitability.

It is actually in the miners best interest that Volta doesn't come out real soon if you just bought a 10 series card. Since there is more to PCs than mining however I hope it does come out because I want to get one and game on it.
As far as Volta is concerned - I feel that those of us mining on 1080 Ti's and Titan Xp's wont be impacted as much as those on slower cards. The difficulty will ramp up once Volta cards start to get out in the wild but not so much that 1080 Ti's and Titan Xp's are not profitable anymore.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 08:42 AM   #41
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
As far as Volta is concerned - I feel that those of us mining on 1080 Ti's and Titan Xp's wont be impacted as much as those on slower cards. The difficulty will ramp up once Volta cards start to get out in the wild but not so much that 1080 Ti's and Titan Xp's are not profitable anymore.
That's my predicament lol. Sell off the ti and xps now? or mine with them and sell them when volta is out. Selling right now I make a small profit.

Old Jan 24, 2018, 08:47 AM   #42
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Or continue to mine with them when Volta releases and just expand your mining operation to include Volta cards
Old Jan 24, 2018, 08:53 AM   #43
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Or continue to mine with them when Volta releases and just expand your mining operation to include Volta cards
Hmm didnt consider that lol. Good point guess I need to get some more gpu blocks.

Old Jan 24, 2018, 09:01 AM   #44
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Hmm didnt consider that lol. Good point guess I need to get some more gpu blocks.
Could potentially earn enough Bitcoin to pay for some Volta cards
Old Jan 24, 2018, 09:02 AM   #45
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Could potentially earn enough Bitcoin to pay for some Volta cards
Just talked to my buddy. Said I could keep my rig at his company server room. Essentially 0 electricity cost. Guess Im building a huge rig tonight.

Old Jan 24, 2018, 09:16 AM   #46
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Old Jan 24, 2018, 09:26 AM   #47
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

You guys are nuts. I'd just be happy with a 2nd 1080Ti

I'm a little jealous.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 09:44 AM   #48
Riptide

Been tempted to push tdp up and get more hash out of my 1080ti setup upstairs. Just not sure if that crosses the line as far as actually hurting the lifespan of the GPU or if it nukes the warranty.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Old Jan 24, 2018, 09:45 AM   #49
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Been tempted to push tdp up and get more hash out of my 1080ti setup upstairs. Just not sure if that crosses the line as far as actually hurting the lifespan of the GPU or if it nukes the warranty.
Just watercool it

Old Jan 24, 2018, 09:46 AM   #50
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
How important is system memory? I plan on having 4 cards per rig. I can't be building some awkard mining rack as it needs to go into a case that I can easily transport there and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

nvm. Realized I have enough ddr3 to make it work on a x79 platform lol.

Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:07 AM   #51
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
I was hoping to push my power target back up to 120% since I have no issues keeping these cards cool at a low'ish fan speed. However, I keep hearing about how much more power it'll draw.

So, is it worth it or not? Has anyone actually done the testing to compare the hash rate/mBTC mined vs power draw/cost?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:52 AM   #52
Riptide

Water cooling costs more money. I'm done spending it for a while lol

You can use whattomine calcs they include power.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:31 AM   #53
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

What methods and research are you guys doing to determine which algorithms to mine for highest production?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 01:54 PM   #54
Riptide

Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Old Jan 24, 2018, 02:20 PM   #55
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Thanks, I was actually just looking at whattomine. I'll check out Bitcointalk next.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 06:47 PM   #56
Riptide

Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Old Jan 24, 2018, 07:26 PM   #57
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Where are the other 6 cards?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2018, 07:49 PM   #58
Riptide

Four cards and two CPUs.

One miner client instance can drive many GPU/CPU. In this case you are seeing two CPU clients open (one CPU each) and two GPU clients open with two GPU each.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Old Jan 24, 2018, 08:25 PM   #59
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Just saw a couple newegg autonotifys

Went to amazon. I ate the tax but

3x 1080 ti strix @ 799

So I got 8 cards to mine with guess I am gonna give it the good ol try lol

Last edited by nycdarkness : Jan 24, 2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 08:49 PM   #60
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

How did you get them for $799?