Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:30 PM   #301
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Samsung.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:33 AM   #302
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwalker View Post
Why can't you use Swiftkey? These guys seem to be using it on their iPhone: http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/30/85...e-apple-fleksy
Swiftkey sucks balls on iOS.

Waiting for an update to get it to at least last gen Android version.

Also force touch doesn't work with Swiftkey yet.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2015, 09:47 AM   #303
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Swiftkey sucks balls on iOS.

Waiting for an update to get it to at least last gen Android version.

Also force touch doesn't work with Swiftkey yet.
Yeah there are some things that are annoying with SwiftKey. I find the whole third party keyboard thing on iOS annoying actually. Randomly it decides to switch back to the stock keyboard, so I have to switch back to SwiftKey, and sometimes SwiftKey is even shifted so the space bar is halfway off the screen. They really need to work on the 3rd party keyboard implementation in iOS.

I'm not having a real hard time with the stock keyboard though, I had been using Fleksy on Android, so I was already used to tap typing again. I might try Fleksy on iOS, see if it doesn't drop back to the stock keyboard like SwiftKey does...
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:21 AM   #304
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Yeah there are some things that are annoying with SwiftKey. I find the whole third party keyboard thing on iOS annoying actually. Randomly it decides to switch back to the stock keyboard, so I have to switch back to SwiftKey, and sometimes SwiftKey is even shifted so the space bar is halfway off the screen. They really need to work on the 3rd party keyboard implementation in iOS.
Yep, one of my pet peeves really. The stock keyboard is fine for hunt and peckers but the lack of a gesture keyboard is shocking.

I dunno what apps you use, but many apps, including some of the most popular apps, have their own ridiculous keyboards for some reason. And on the 6s+, they are zoomed in so the ****ing thing takes up half the damn screen and is all blurry.

Terrible design decision to allow this to happen by Apple.

Quote:
I'm not having a real hard time with the stock keyboard though, I had been using Fleksy on Android, so I was already used to tap typing again. I might try Fleksy on iOS, see if it doesn't drop back to the stock keyboard like SwiftKey does...
The stock keyboard is great if you don't gesture type. If you gesture type, it feels like going back to using a feature phone from a smart phone. Gesture is so much more convenient and faster. And if the new version of Swiftkey were allowed, I could dock it one side or the other of the screen and it would be so much easier to one hand the device.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 09:18 AM   #305
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

I think you can go into settings and remove the stock keyboard if you have a 3rd party installed. It doesn't really remove it but it stopped it from randomly coming back when I was trying to use Swiftkey. I eventually gave up and just use the stock one now. The ability to use force touch on it as a trackpad is a game changer for me. I love that feature.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:11 AM   #306
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I think you can go into settings and remove the stock keyboard if you have a 3rd party installed. It doesn't really remove it but it stopped it from randomly coming back when I was trying to use Swiftkey. I eventually gave up and just use the stock one now. The ability to use force touch on it as a trackpad is a game changer for me. I love that feature.
Oh wow, I didn't know about that until you mentioned it here. That's pretty cool. I've found moving the cursor by tap to be kind of tough, that really fixes that issue.

Some things I want from Android:

Notification light. Every morning when I wake up, the sun isn't out, it's pitch black in my room, with my Android phone finding my phone by my bed was easy because the notification light was going off. Being able to tell without waking the phone that I have a notification is definitely a nice thing.

Soft keys. Force touch and gestures kind of make up for this, but the back gesture isn't universal, sometimes I have to use the back key in the upper right hand corner, which is fine but until I learn where that's necessary it's going to keep bugging me. On another note, I hated the back/app switcher buttons on the Note, as they were always active, so I found myself pushing back or menu when I never intended to. I far prefer to have a row of soft keys at the bottom of the screen that retract when not needed.

App drawer. Having all the apps on the home screen isn't awful, I have stuff I don't need immediate access to placed in folders and out of the way, but the launcher is pretty lacking in this regard. You shouldn't be forced to keep all apps on your launcher, there should be an app drawer. It's such a simple thing. I can work around it though, so it's not a big deal, but it's something I'd really like them to fix.

Program management. Android had an Applications section in Settings where you uninstalled everything. Uninstalling everything from the launcher is pretty weird to me. I have also been trying to move apps around and accidentally hit that X...

Opening notifications from the lock screen. Is there something I'm missing here, or is this just not possible? With my Note I could unlock the screen with the power button, select the notification I wanted to open, then used the fingerprint scanner, and it would unlock with that app open.

5 icons on the bottom bar of the launcher. This one is a bit nitpicky, I understand why they stick with 4, because there's only 4 on the top part of the launcher, but I'd love to be able to just cram one more in there.

I can't think of anything else right now. I really like this phone, as the Apple fanboys say, (most) everything just works. I think overall, it's a better experience than Android has become, but needs some tweaking still. I don't see myself returning this phone, or even switching back to Android unless Android significantly changes, especially on the battery life front.

Pretty shocked I like this phone this much, but it's really good. I'm glad I waited this long though, because I don't think I'd be this happy with previous versions of iOS or the iPhone.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:55 AM   #307
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Quote:
Oh wow, I didn't know about that until you mentioned it here. That's pretty cool. I've found moving the cursor by tap to be kind of tough, that really fixes that issue.

Notification light. Every morning when I wake up, the sun isn't out, it's pitch black in my room, with my Android phone finding my phone by my bed was easy because the notification light was going off. Being able to tell without waking the phone that I have a notification is definitely a nice thing.

Soft keys. Force touch and gestures kind of make up for this, but the back gesture isn't universal, sometimes I have to use the back key in the upper right hand corner, which is fine but until I learn where that's necessary it's going to keep bugging me. On another note, I hated the back/app switcher buttons on the Note, as they were always active, so I found myself pushing back or menu when I never intended to. I far prefer to have a row of soft keys at the bottom of the screen that retract when not needed.

App drawer. Having all the apps on the home screen isn't awful, I have stuff I don't need immediate access to placed in folders and out of the way, but the launcher is pretty lacking in this regard. You shouldn't be forced to keep all apps on your launcher, there should be an app drawer. It's such a simple thing. I can work around it though, so it's not a big deal, but it's something I'd really like them to fix.

Program management. Android had an Applications section in Settings where you uninstalled everything. Uninstalling everything from the launcher is pretty weird to me. I have also been trying to move apps around and accidentally hit that X...

Opening notifications from the lock screen. Is there something I'm missing here, or is this just not possible? With my Note I could unlock the screen with the power button, select the notification I wanted to open, then used the fingerprint scanner, and it would unlock with that app open.

5 icons on the bottom bar of the launcher. This one is a bit nitpicky, I understand why they stick with 4, because there's only 4 on the top part of the launcher, but I'd love to be able to just cram one more in there.

I can't think of anything else right now. I really like this phone, as the Apple fanboys say, (most) everything just works. I think overall, it's a better experience than Android has become, but needs some tweaking still. I don't see myself returning this phone, or even switching back to Android unless Android significantly changes, especially on the battery life front.

Pretty shocked I like this phone this much, but it's really good. I'm glad I waited this long though, because I don't think I'd be this happy with previous versions of iOS or the iPhone.
I was surprised I liked it as much as I did as well. I echo most of the same complaints that you have. The OS for the most part really does "just work". I just hope we get some more customization options in the future.

I bolded the last part because I think your absolutely correct. Only in the last few iterations has the OS become flexible enough that the average android user can switch over and not feel like it's hell on earth.

I actually returned my G4 last week and went back to the 6s for my personal device again even though I have a 6s through work.

As much as I loved being able to customize things again the experience is just all over the place. Some days battery life is good, others its awful. The apps still aren't as good as they are in iOS and I found myself really missing the swipe gestures from iOS for navigating through menus/websites. Also I think a fingerprint reader has become mandatory for me and the 6s' works almost everytime.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:12 AM   #308
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I was surprised I liked it as much as I did as well. I echo most of the same complaints that you have. The OS for the most part really does "just work". I just hope we get some more customization options in the future.

I bolded the last part because I think your absolutely correct. Only in the last few iterations has the OS become flexible enough that the average android user can switch over and not feel like it's hell on earth.

I actually returned my G4 last week and went back to the 6s for my personal device again even though I have a 6s through work.

As much as I loved being able to customize things again the experience is just all over the place. Some days battery life is good, others its awful. The apps still aren't as good as they are in iOS and I found myself really missing the swipe gestures from iOS for navigating through menus/websites. Also I think a fingerprint reader has become mandatory for me and the 6s' works almost everytime.
My lady has a G4, and it's a good phone, but it feels like a toy compared to my Note and my iPhone.

I love that the 6s/+ fingerprint reader works from any angle. The Note was very rigid in the angle you could scan your fingerprint, you basically had to do it one orientation, or program another finger if you wanted to unlock from a different angle. Pretty crappy really.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:24 AM   #309
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:

Just slide to the notification to the right and it will ask you to put your password in or just unlock using touchid and it will open the app. Or if you have to notification pull down unlocked for the lock screen pull it down and just tap whatever notification and it will open the app.

Surprised you like the phone so much with as much hate you have had for apple for the longest time.

One of the reasons I stick with Apple is cause it just works and I get tired of fixing ****(do it all day for work) so I just want something that will consistently work without effort.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:28 AM   #310
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Just slide to the notification to the right and it will ask you to put your password in or just unlock using touchid and it will open the app. Or if you have to notification pull down unlocked for the lock screen pull it down and just tap whatever notification and it will open the app.

Surprised you like the phone so much with as much hate you have had for apple for the longest time.

One of the reasons I stick with Apple is cause it just works and I get tired of fixing ****(do it all day for work) so I just want something that will consistently work without effort.
Like I said, I don't think I would have liked past iterations this much. The 6s/6s+ are the kind of phones Android users could switch to comfortably, almost the perfect storm of features.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:12 AM   #311
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:

I just want to point out, Nexus > Samsung in terms of UI and overall cohesiveness and performance

The battery life is the big difference for me, and I agree with you there. Outside of that, I'd drop this thing in a heart beat if the next Nexus comes out with greater efficiency and wireless charging.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 01:43 PM   #312
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

iOS 9.2 is out now.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2015, 01:49 PM   #313
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I just want to point out, Nexus > Samsung in terms of UI and overall cohesiveness and performance

The battery life is the big difference for me, and I agree with you there. Outside of that, I'd drop this thing in a heart beat if the next Nexus comes out with greater efficiency and wireless charging.
I'm well aware of this, and I'm very familiar with vanilla Android. I don't have a preference at this point.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 07:35 PM   #314
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Phone has been off the charger just over 12hrs now and I'm still at 58% in my more normal usage type day. I could just about make it two full work days on a charge. That's what I'm talkin about!
Old Dec 9, 2015, 09:33 AM   #315
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Quote:
Phone has been off the charger just over 12hrs now and I'm still at 58% in my more normal usage type day. I could just about make it two full work days on a charge. That's what I'm talkin about!
Sounds like what I got with my 6+. I was able to go a full 2 days in a pinch if I had to. The best part is that I could leave everything on. Wifi BT location etc etc... Always got stellar battery life.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:00 AM   #316
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Yes it is amazing. And everything works too. The only good Android phone I had was the Galaxy SIII and it was only good because I put a 7,000mAh battery in it. It would get super hot using the wifi hotspot or anything that used the CPU. I like my TSMC 6s Plus iPhone far more than any Android phone. Facetime is really good and I cannot believe Android has nothing like that built in. Being able to call wifi only ipad's ipod touch ect is really nice. So you can call grandpa without trying to tell him how to install Skype or Hangouts and setting it up. If I ever get the dev bug again I'll buy a used iPhone 6 and jailbreak it. But I think I'm done with those days.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:09 AM   #317
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Yes it is amazing. And everything works too. The only good Android phone I had was the Galaxy SIII and it was only good because I put a 7,000mAh battery in it. It would get super hot using the wifi hotspot or anything that used the CPU. I like my TSMC 6s Plus iPhone far more than any Android phone. Facetime is really good and I cannot believe Android has nothing like that built in. Being able to call wifi only ipad's ipod touch ect is really nice. So you can call grandpa without trying to tell him how to install Skype or Hangouts and setting it up. If I ever get the dev bug again I'll buy a used iPhone 6 and jailbreak it. But I think I'm done with those days.
Android usually comes with Hangouts, which has video calling that works quite well. Also works with iPhones, unlike Facetime working with Android...
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:20 AM   #318
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Android usually comes with Hangouts, which has video calling that works quite well. Also works with iPhones, unlike Facetime working with Android...
Not always and you have to set it up. With Facetime you call the appleid email address and their device will "ring" I have shocked a few older Apple iPad product owners that didn't know about it. One has an android phone and Hangouts is installed but they never configured it. I view this as someone buying a phone and being expected to configure a phone to take voice calls, then configure it for MMS, then configure it for SMS etc.

FYI, I do use Hangouts on my iPhone.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:21 AM   #319
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Here's a question for whoever may know... I use iTunes on the PC now for listening to podcasts at my desk... When I start a podcast on my phone it syncs to my iTunes, so that I can pick up where I left off at the PC... If I do the opposite, listen on the PC then switch to my phone, it doesn't seem to be syncing, so my phone doesn't pick up where I left off... Is there a setting I'm missing or is this just an anomaly with iTunes?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:25 AM   #320
ATi VGA Wonder

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204207

Did you follow all of those steps? I plan on playing around with wifi sync soon. Is that what you are doing?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:20 AM   #321
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204207

Did you follow all of those steps? I plan on playing around with wifi sync soon. Is that what you are doing?
No wifi sync at my work, only at home. iTunes is syncing properly via my phone being on LTE, but not back to the iPhone. Keep forgetting to bring my cable to set up wifi sync at work. I'll try the setting mentioned in a moment, odd that it wouldn't be on by default.

EDIT: "Sync playback information across devices" is checked already, so something isn't working...

EDIT2: I talk about this here, then hop in the car for lunch and my podcast synced to the right time Maybe it takes a minute to hit the phone, I dunno.

Last edited by Elysian : Dec 9, 2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:21 PM   #322
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Thursday will be two weeks. Have no inclination to send this phone back, it's great.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 09:31 AM   #323
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Thursday will be two weeks. Have no inclination to send this phone back, it's great.
Welcome to the Dark Side

Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:05 AM   #324
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Quote:
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:00 AM   #325
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2016, 05:34 PM   #326
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

9.3 Beta further fixes some of the visuals glitches and quirks that are an everyday occurrence for the 6s+, but what I really liked was the f.Lux feature Apple implemented. Hoping they will now open up the api to let f.Lux actually on the store, but either way, it's much easier on the eyes from dusk till dawn (my setting).

Unfortunately we still don't have the ability to get to the carousel with a force touch push from the right side of the screen. That remains a left side of the screen feature only, currently. /facepalm
Old Jan 18, 2016, 03:52 PM   #327
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Is Elysian on a ****ing iPhone? Did I miss some announcement?
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2016, 05:14 PM   #328
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
He wasn't happy with what he had. I had just picked up a 6s+. He had some questions. I answered them. Some other kindly folks answered other questions. He picked one up and he has liked it to this point.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 05:27 PM   #329
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
He wasn't happy with what he had. I had just picked up a 6s+. He had some questions. I answered them. Some other kindly folks answered other questions. He picked one up and he has liked it to this point.
Plus the fact that the iPhone 6S/6S+ outperforms every Android device on the market.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 09:36 AM   #330
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
The battery life on the Note 5 wasn't cutting it (Google the cell radio big, which STILL hasn't been fixed) and the iPhone had the kind of battery life I wanted, so I decided to give it a shot since there was a two week return period. Found that I really liked the phone, so here I am. FWIW I don't think I would have liked the iPhone much before iOS 8 or 9.