Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Jul 26, 2004, 01:08 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
subferno
Radeon R100

subferno is still being judged by the masses

Default Pick a Graphics Card for a Console Gamer

Between an Nvidia 6800 Ultra and ATI X800 XT Platinum, which would you pick for a person who came from a console gaming background?

I currently have an ATI 9700 Pro but I dont really know that much about computer graphics technology.

I understand that both cards are a definite jump from a console, but which card would provide the most obvious and visually noticeable eye candy for graphics. I am not a graphics pro so I wouldnt be able to notice the subtle frame rate differences, filtering, etc.

I am building a system to prepare for D3 and HL2 just like most people. I understand that neither brand completly dominates the other, according to the various bench marks. But is there a card that is more balanced? I basically need a "Jack of all trades" type card or at least a card that doesnt really suffer tremendously under certain testing benchmarks.

Many Thanks,
Sub
subferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 01:13 AM   #2
phial
no things

phial is still being judged by the masses

not quite sure, last gen ATi cards have always had higher minimum frame rates (which is what really matters)

the 6800GT is a damn good card tho, and at a good price. better than the x800pro, which is priced comparably. if i was you, id wait a while once we get more info on how these new cards perform in games, becasuse we dont actually know which is better overall (we have mostly benchmarks that dont reflect real life gamig situations)
Old Jul 26, 2004, 01:22 AM   #3
DarkSithPro
Radeon Evergreen

DarkSithPro is still being judged by the masses

Honestly you cannot go wrong with either card. Both have their ups and downs. Flip a coin.
DarkSithPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 26, 2004, 02:59 AM   #4
Hamidxa
Banned

Hamidxa is still being judged by the masses

XT Platinum for a TON of reasons.

Dont question me ( i can give you actually a pages worth of answers, just take my word for it and save me the trouble of rewriting everything i have already half a dozen times in the last week, and save yourself the trouble of reading it).

XT Platinum is the BEST card OVERALL (being the key word), no 2 ways about it.
Hamidxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 03:31 AM   #5
Dacs
Rage3D Veteran

Dacs is still being judged by the masses

What do you expect guys from an ATI forum to tell you?
Dacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 10:33 AM   #6
Snarfy
Radeon R420

Snarfy is still being judged by the masses

that 9700 will last you for a while more. If i were you, i'd let the dust settle from all of the latest generation of fud from ATI and Nvidia (they both do it, dont try to deny it), then pick the card which does better in the games that you like to play.

Basically, unless you CANT stand not having the very very best card, find out if doom 3 runs OK on your 9700 (it should, the alpha ran relatively well on a ti4600 of mine, before i bought a 9800xt) let the prices go down, let HL2 benchies come out, see if this Opengl driver we've been hearing about is any good...etc

Dont waste your money, man. Right now, no one really knows for sure which card is better...

Tally ho, competition!
Snarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 10:56 AM   #7
Tyler582
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Tyler582 is still being judged by the masses

I'm no expert, but I enjoy all the games I play on my 9500Pro which is worse than your 9700Pro so I would hold out unless you have a lot of money, then get the ATI card .

Welcome to PC gaming, you'll never go back.

-Tyler
ASUS UL30-VT A1 13.3" Notebook w/64GB SSD
Tyler582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 12:29 PM   #8
Let_Me_Live
Radeon R600

Let_Me_Live is still being judged by the masses

Well Subferno, why not just get an X800pro VIVO, and mod it to a XT PE? Its fairly simple, and the rate of the mod actually working is EXTREMLY high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let_Me_Live
*flexes e-penis...* wait a minute... oh I dont have one

Sometimes I have the most horrible dreams. Or maybe they are real. Do dead men dream?
Let_Me_Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 10:38 PM   #9
reholli
Radeon R420

reholli is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let_Me_Live
Well Subferno, why not just get an X800pro VIVO, and mod it to a XT PE? Its fairly simple, and the rate of the mod actually working is EXTREMLY high.
And does that mod replace the ram chips? An XT PE comes with faster ram and no mod changes that. Yes, if fortunate you can turn on the 4 disabled pipes and overclock because that's the point I suppose, but the card does not become an XT PE, even with a PE bios.
reholli is offline   Reply With Quote