Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Mar 4, 2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default So how bad will I get owned at this next interview?

I got through to the second wave of interviews for an entry level web developer position. This time he said I should expect to be on site for two hours.

First thing I thought of is they're going to have me code a bunch of stuff in front of them on MS VS, and if that's the case I'm terribly afraid. At the same time, it's an entry level position and they can't expect me to know that much. I'm a bit rusty (I pick things up in this nature VERY quick) and certainly won't be good with having people watch over me.

Or do you think it could just be talking and showing me around?

Bah. Tonight after I lift I'm going to try to do some small pages and get back into things a bit.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.

Last edited by ice : Mar 4, 2008 at 01:56 PM.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 02:24 PM   #2
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Good luck!
Old Mar 4, 2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Uber_Tiny is still being judged by the masses

GL man, hope it works out for you.
Uber_Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 4, 2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Darkz0r
Italian Brazilian Rager

Darkz0r can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDarkz0r can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
I got through to the second wave of interviews for an entry level web developer position. This time he said I should expect to be on site for two hours.

First thing I thought of is they're going to have me code a bunch of stuff in front of them on MS VS, and if that's the case I'm terribly afraid. At the same time, it's an entry level position and they can't expect me to know that much. I'm a bit rusty (I pick things up in this nature VERY quick) and certainly won't be good with having people watch over me.

Or do you think it could just be talking and showing me around?

Bah. Tonight after I lift I'm going to try to do some small pages and get back into things a bit.
I suppose they will show you around AND "test your skills".
If you showed them your portfolio or something and prove you coded those stuffs then they might just show you around and talk a bit. If they feel insecure with the conversation they might ask for some sample or w/e.

Anyways, if you need to do something just say you are a bit rusty but will pick it up quickly and are studying already. =P
Old Mar 4, 2008, 02:37 PM   #5
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkz0r View Post
I suppose they will show you around AND "test your skills".
If you showed them your portfolio or something and prove you coded those stuffs then they might just show you around and talk a bit. If they feel insecure with the conversation they might ask for some sample or w/e.

Anyways, if you need to do something just say you are a bit rusty but will pick it up quickly and are studying already. =P
Well I did make a powerpoint with some pages I made while I was in college, so who knows. I hope if they "test" me it's not for very long. I really hope I get this job though, I need out of Walgreens in a big way.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 02:41 PM   #6
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

AMD

Alot of the time in interviews they are not seeing if you can answer or do something correctly, they are watching to see how you do it and what your thought process is.

You wouldnt have a second interview if they didnt feel you where able to do the job.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:00 PM   #7
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debello View Post
Alot of the time in interviews they are not seeing if you can answer or do something correctly, they are watching to see how you do it and what your thought process is.

You wouldnt have a second interview if they didnt feel you where able to do the job.
I suppose but I just feel still like I'm can't do what they want. I always feel that way though.

Does anyone who works in this area know what an entry level person is expected to know? I looked over my college book and the stuff they have seemed rather easy, or I could remember how to do it if I had to. For some reason I just keep thinking they're going to want me to do too much stuff that I can't do.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:33 PM   #8
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

good luck. Just remember, you don't have to be good... just a little better than the other applicants.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:37 PM   #9
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Just be ready to drop your pants and bend over if it starts to go poorly.

Nobody can resist hiring someone that willing to get reamed in the ass.

Cowzrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:11 AM   #10
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
I suppose but I just feel still like I'm can't do what they want. I always feel that way though.

Does anyone who works in this area know what an entry level person is expected to know? I looked over my college book and the stuff they have seemed rather easy, or I could remember how to do it if I had to. For some reason I just keep thinking they're going to want me to do too much stuff that I can't do.
I guess for entry level ,they will test if you can do validation (javascript), populate controls, read/write from database etc.

Good Luck.
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:56 AM   #11
Corum Jhaelen Irsei
Banned

Corum Jhaelen Irsei is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowzrul View Post
Just be ready to drop your pants and bend over if it starts to go poorly.

Nobody can resist hiring someone that willing to get reamed in the ass.

Manches pants +5 ftw!!!

In rememberance of GG
Corum Jhaelen Irsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:30 AM   #12
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance Kid V2 View Post
I guess for entry level ,they will test if you can do validation (javascript), populate controls, read/write from database etc.

Good Luck.
Eh, that doesn't seem too bad, I've done them all at one point or another. Question is if I can remember how to do them, if not I can learn again in a day, and I'll just have to reiterate that I'm a very fast learner.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 09:30 PM   #13
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Well I survived. They didn't have me code anything, just look at some written logic flowcharts and whatnot, and answer the questions on paper.

The interview lasted just over two hours and then I got a tour of the place. I met with the IT Manager, CIO of the company, Network Administrator, and part of the dev team.

Honestly, I can't think of more than two things that I should have done differently. I felt very at ease and everything seemed to go well, I feel as if I've done all I can do. They said they're just starting the second wave of interview and I should get a call from them to inform me of their decision in a week or two.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 09:49 PM   #14
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

GL!

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 09:51 PM   #15
Java Cool Dude
With my family

Java Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Well I survived. They didn't have me code anything, just look at some written logic flowcharts and whatnot, and answer the questions on paper.

The interview lasted just over two hours and then I got a tour of the place. I met with the IT Manager, CIO of the company, Network Administrator, and part of the dev team.

Honestly, I can't think of more than two things that I should have done differently. I felt very at ease and everything seemed to go well, I feel as if I've done all I can do. They said they're just starting the second wave of interview and I should get a call from them to inform me of their decision in a week or two.
What are you? French?
Java Cool Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 09:56 PM   #16
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude View Post
What are you? French?
I confused

I have the little test they gave me here, and I got 2/3 correct, should have been 3/3 but I misread the damn flowchart. Pisses me off.

I said 6 because I read that "COUNTER > 5" as "SUM > 5". The answer is 15, which is easy now that I realized what I read wrong. I'm thinking of emailing the HR guy to let him know that, just because it pisses me off that I knew the logic but just misread it because it was the first question and I was frazzled.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:07 PM   #17
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Don't email him.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:19 PM   #18
ice
Rage3D Spammer

And...

Does that mean call him instead or don't say anything? He'll be out of the office all day tomorrow and so will the IT Manager who I spoke with. I figured an email would be ok so he'd get it when he got back and could easily show the IT Manager since I never got his contact info.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:42 PM   #19
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
And...

Does that mean call him instead or don't say anything? He'll be out of the office all day tomorrow and so will the IT Manager who I spoke with. I figured an email would be ok so he'd get it when he got back and could easily show the IT Manager since I never got his contact info.
Just leave it IMHO.Don't mail. You did good (2/3) is not bad.

Let us know!
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:01 AM   #20
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Just leave it IMHO.Don't mail. You did good (2/3) is not bad.

Let us know!
I suppose, it just pisses me off that I got the logic part down and just slipped up one simple stupid mistake, I wanted them to know that that's all I did and I understand the main part of the question. Stupid damn mistake.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 01:37 AM   #21
Java Cool Dude
With my family

Java Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
I confused
I am sorry I am stupid!
It doesn't help that I grew up speaking French where I sounds like E in English, so when you said CIO I thought you really meant CEO...
Just forget the whole thing =-/
Java Cool Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 04:06 AM   #22
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I suppose, it just pisses me off that I got the logic part down and just slipped up one simple stupid mistake, I wanted them to know that that's all I did and I understand the main part of the question. Stupid damn mistake.
Yes.. I have done the same and you know what.. we are all human! Just learn from it... next time double check... tripple check the wording
Old Mar 7, 2008, 09:47 AM   #23
ice
Rage3D Spammer

I double checked the problem to make sure I did it right, but I didn't think I'd be dumb enough to substitute another word in so I didn't bother checking that part

Quote:
I am sorry I am stupid!
It doesn't help that I grew up speaking French where I sounds like E in English, so when you said CIO I thought you really meant CEO...
Just forget the whole thing =-/
I thought it had something to do with that A lot of people think I mean CEO when I say CIO.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:38 AM   #24
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I double checked the problem to make sure I did it right, but I didn't think I'd be dumb enough to substitute another word in so I didn't bother checking that part

I thought it had something to do with that A lot of people think I mean CEO when I say CIO.
Any news yet?
Old Mar 7, 2008, 02:26 PM   #25
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Any news yet?
Nope, they said it would be a week or two until they called me back with their decision, as they just started "wave 2". They always seem to say that no matter what though.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 02:17 PM   #26
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Nope, they said it would be a week or two until they called me back with their decision, as they just started "wave 2". They always seem to say that no matter what though.
keep looking, don't wait for them. You might just find a nice job before these guys get back to you!
Old Mar 8, 2008, 02:27 PM   #27
Encyclopedia_b
Purveyor of OFN

Encyclopedia_b is still being judged by the masses

you should always send some sort of thank you correspondence

you could include a ps at the end with the correct answer ... but i doubt the hr guy would know what you were talking about:

thanks,
ice

ps-15
Encyclopedia_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 05:00 PM   #28
grog
No longer on Rage3d

grog is still being judged by the masses

Just send something like this next time you email him:

Code:
/*
 * $ g++ flowchart.cpp -o flowchart
 * $ ./flowchart
 * Sum is 15 Counter is 6
*/
#include <iostream>
main(){
  int sum;
  int counter; 
  for(sum=0, counter=1; counter <= 5; sum+=counter, counter++);
  std::cout << "Sum is " << sum << " Counter is " << counter;
}
If he replies that you got the answer wrong on the test you can play dumb and say... really I was sure I checked "15"...

Last edited by grog : Mar 8, 2008 at 05:03 PM.
grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 05:07 PM   #29
Tyler582
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Tyler582 is still being judged by the masses

GL bro. I got in for my med school interview I've been waiting all year for tomorrow morning. Wish me luck too!
ASUS UL30-VT A1 13.3" Notebook w/64GB SSD
Tyler582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 05:49 PM   #30
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclopedia_b View Post
you should always send some sort of thank you correspondence

you could include a ps at the end with the correct answer ... but i doubt the hr guy would know what you were talking about:

thanks,
ice

ps-15
Already in the mail. I didn't think it would be right to mention the test in the thank you though, if I send anything I'll email it.

I really hope I get it.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.