Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 11, 2018, 03:02 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default Thinking about an S8+

My PH1 is on the fritz and I can score a brand new unlocked S8+ for $532 with full warranty.

It's one of the few that I can still use on T-mo > no one else can match what I get for service for the price...

Whatcha think? Worth it?

Cheers guys
Old Oct 11, 2018, 03:06 PM   #2
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
My PH1 is on the fritz and I can score a brand new unlocked S8+ for $532 with full warranty.

It's one of the few that I can still use on T-mo > no one else can match what I get for service for the price...

Whatcha think? Worth it?

Cheers guys
How old is the PH1? No way to get it fixed? Sad how short the life spans of some phones are.

The S8+ is a good phone, from what I understand. I've got the S9+ and love it, but I hear it's not a huge improvement over the S8+.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2018, 03:32 PM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

Whatcha think? Worth it?

Cheers guys
Can't get a warranty replacement on the PH1?
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 11, 2018, 04:10 PM   #4
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
How old is the PH1? No way to get it fixed? Sad how short the life spans of some phones are.

The S8+ is a good phone, from what I understand. I've got the S9+ and love it, but I hear it's not a huge improvement over the S8+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Can't get a warranty replacement on the PH1?
I can yes, I'm just bothered as heck that it's apparently dying on me so quickly. So I'm thinking of using it as an excuse to buy something that's a bit more established and ~$500 isn't that bad.

I'm going to try another reset first and sleep on it for a day or two first...I just don't want to be caught without a phone if it goes belly up.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
I can yes, I'm just bothered as heck that it's apparently dying on me so quickly. So I'm thinking of using it as an excuse to buy something that's a bit more established and ~$500 isn't that bad.

I'm going to try another reset first and sleep on it for a day or two first...I just don't want to be caught without a phone if it goes belly up.
Any manufacturer can have faulty phones, I'd try to get it replaced under warranty, no one likes to spend $500 when they don't have to. I've had my fair share of **** from Samsung.

edit: Hell, if you're that bothered, get it replaced under warranty then sell the replacement for $300-400.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 07:01 PM   #6
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Any manufacturer can have faulty phones, I'd try to get it replaced under warranty, no one likes to spend $500 when they don't have to. I've had my fair share of **** from Samsung.

edit: Hell, if you're that bothered, get it replaced under warranty then sell the replacement for $300-400.
Too true - been through some Samsungs myself.

I just reset it again and there was an update waiting, 264mb -Android P-PPR1 which I'm hoping might be security and bug fixes. Pie hasn't been good for me lol.

I think your suggestion makes more sense. I'll see if this is still acting up and just use the warranty if it is. Thanks for the feedback
Old Oct 11, 2018, 08:31 PM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Too true - been through some Samsungs myself.

I just reset it again and there was an update waiting, 264mb -Android P-PPR1 which I'm hoping might be security and bug fixes. Pie hasn't been good for me lol.

I think your suggestion makes more sense. I'll see if this is still acting up and just use the warranty if it is. Thanks for the feedback
If I was buying a phone that's not an Essential, it'd probably be a Pixel 2. I just don't trust Samsung.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 04:04 AM   #8
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
If I was buying a phone that's not an Essential, it'd probably be a Pixel 2. I just don't trust Samsung.
I've been pricing them, the XL though. I'm not a huge fan of samsung either, but the price is right.

I still can't use my photos app after that update last night, instant crash, and between buying windows and doors and siding for my house, body work on the truck and updating a bathroom LOL....just not the best time to buy an overpriced phone.

I was hoping the update and reset would fix some of that. If the OS itself starts crashing on me again today I'm just going in and doing a warranty swap.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 07:09 AM   #9
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Is there a way to clear the cache partition? That usually clears things up on Samsung phones when things go wonky.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2018, 07:44 AM   #10
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I've been pricing them, the XL though. I'm not a huge fan of samsung either, but the price is right.

I still can't use my photos app after that update last night, instant crash, and between buying windows and doors and siding for my house, body work on the truck and updating a bathroom LOL....just not the best time to buy an overpriced phone.

I was hoping the update and reset would fix some of that. If the OS itself starts crashing on me again today I'm just going in and doing a warranty swap.
Which Photos app? I use Google Photos on mine without a hitch.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 07:56 AM   #11
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Which Photos app? I use Google Photos on mine without a hitch.
It's google photos. Sometimes I can browse, but mostly it just stops working, especially right after taking a photo. I've submitted crash data numerous times for it.

Textra is another - this is the one that (rare but often enough) causes the whole OS to crash, freezing and/or rebooting the phone, so I'll be trying others there as well.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 07:57 AM   #12
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Is there a way to clear the cache partition? That usually clears things up on Samsung phones when things go wonky.
I don't know, but I'll search it up. Thanks

edit: No cache partition, but it looks like 3rd party apps can wipe app cache if the menu doesn't support it.

Last edited by Lazy8s : Oct 12, 2018 at 08:03 AM.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2018, 08:05 AM   #13
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Have you tried restoring the phone from a stock firmware? Probably more work than you should have to put in, but just an idea.

You can download the Fastboot files here:

https://www.essential.com/developer/current-builds

You'll need the ADB toolkit, which you can find here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2588979

And you'll need the Essential ADB drivers, here:

https://support.essential.com/hc/en-...ssential-Phone

I can help more if you decide to try this route, feel free to PM.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 08:08 AM   #14
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Have you tried restoring the phone from a stock firmware? Probably more work than you should have to put in, but just an idea.

You can download the Fastboot files here:

https://www.essential.com/developer/current-builds

You'll need the ADB toolkit, which you can find here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2588979

And you'll need the Essential ADB drivers, here:

https://support.essential.com/hc/en-...ssential-Phone

I can help more if you decide to try this route, feel free to PM.
I haven't but I really appreciate the offer. I grabbed the power adapter on the way out the door this morning intending to trade it in under warranty though.

If they have none in stock or offer me a crap phone in return (heard of that happening) I might give this a shot. Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2018, 07:46 AM   #15
Lazy8s
One day at a time

I deleted my samsung apps because my craptastic samsung watch died and it's been working perfectly since.

Dodged a bullet.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 07:54 AM   #16
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I deleted my samsung apps because my craptastic samsung watch died and it's been working perfectly since.

Dodged a bullet.
So Samsung was your problem all along
Old Oct 15, 2018, 07:55 AM   #17
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
So Samsung was your problem all along
Can't win with that damn company No more samsung for me. I hear the new fitbits work great on Android lol.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 07:58 AM   #18
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Can't win with that damn company No more samsung for me. I hear the new fitbits work great on Android lol.
I have an Ionic, my wife has a Versa, and we both love them. The only thing I wish it had was a 'find my phone' feature.

edit: We both get 4-5 days battery life on ours, which is better than pretty much any smartwatch out there.

Last edited by Elysian : Oct 15, 2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 09:00 AM   #19
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
I have an Ionic, my wife has a Versa, and we both love them. The only thing I wish it had was a 'find my phone' feature.

edit: We both get 4-5 days battery life on ours, which is better than pretty much any smartwatch out there.
I just pulled up to BB lol. I'm grabbing the Versa most likely. I don't need GPS on the watch and every single review I read mentions that stellar battery life.

Bye bye sammy, lesson learned.