Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:46 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default Picking up a new hobby

I decided to pick up a new hobby. Going to play the Violin. I start taking lessons from a music major Graduate student this coming Thursday. She already teaches my son to play the violin and she has been impressive.

I know that in my mind while I am learning I'll sound like this

but in reality will sound like this:

But really, I am excited to do this new hobby. Wish me luck
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:57 AM   #2
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Good luck. Keep at it and you'll be posting your own widely-viewed videos.

jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2019, 03:25 AM   #3
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Recipe for disaster.
Once she fiddles with your bits.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 17, 2019, 03:48 AM   #4
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Old Mar 17, 2019, 05:08 AM   #5
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuku2 View Post
It would be great to play like him one day.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Last edited by curio : Mar 18, 2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 09:06 AM   #6
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Lettuce with a violin. Looks like a recipe for salad.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2019, 01:42 PM   #7
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

I played for about 15 years when I was younger. It's one of the best sounding instruments and there are some cool things you can do (especially with the electric violins).

It can be rewarding to play, if you play it well, as it's not an instrument that just anyone can pick up. I love it when songs add string arrangements.

https://youtu.be/T7lpp6HYm7o?t=332
Mahjik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2019, 03:44 PM   #8
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The learning curve is high with pretty much any instrument, but if your instructor's good, they should be able to guide you in the more efficient paths over a lot of the difficulties. Just keeping after it is most of the battle, really, if you can get yourself to practice regularly and are diligent in trying to notice and correct your mistakes, you will progress pretty quickly.

My adult students have almost always been pretty quick learners - they're usually coming to it because they're interested, so they actually put in the time and it really does pay off. It can be harder with a kid that hasn't learned that working hard for a while will lead to improvement, but it's something they learn as they get better as well.

Even if it seems like it's really hard, or you're not doing it right, or you don't know what to even do - try to simplify the problem so you can be successful on the isolated bit, then incorporate more until it's complete - if you're putting in the time and the quality of your work is good (nothing to do with the quality of your current performance ability), you will get better, and when you start to notice it, you'll be more motivated to continue.

P.S. bassoon is better
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64

HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2019, 08:29 PM   #9
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

When I started playing guitar it was about 5-8 hours a day.
That's how I could play the whole Master of Puppets tape within 1 year of playing.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 02:35 PM   #10
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJMasta View Post
The learning curve is high with pretty much any instrument, but if your instructor's good, they should be able to guide you in the more efficient paths over a lot of the difficulties. Just keeping after it is most of the battle, really, if you can get yourself to practice regularly and are diligent in trying to notice and correct your mistakes, you will progress pretty quickly.

My adult students have almost always been pretty quick learners - they're usually coming to it because they're interested, so they actually put in the time and it really does pay off. It can be harder with a kid that hasn't learned that working hard for a while will lead to improvement, but it's something they learn as they get better as well.

Even if it seems like it's really hard, or you're not doing it right, or you don't know what to even do - try to simplify the problem so you can be successful on the isolated bit, then incorporate more until it's complete - if you're putting in the time and the quality of your work is good (nothing to do with the quality of your current performance ability), you will get better, and when you start to notice it, you'll be more motivated to continue.

P.S. bassoon is better
My teacher is going to be teaching me through the Suzuki Method, with the little I gathered about this method, I think it might be a good fit for me.

I do have the advantage of how my work is, in that I have massive amount of down time, so I can use some of that to practice. I'll be taking my Violin to work every day, and we even have a portable music stand.

I decided to rent a violin, it is a Rent to Own that I am doing and 100% of my payments go towards to owning the Violin, 0% interest, I got an $800 new Yamaha Student Violin. I am paying for an Insurance+Maintenance+repair of $5.77 a month, it covers theft, accidental/non negligence damage, repairs and maintenance on the Violin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuku2 View Post
When I started playing guitar it was about 5-8 hours a day.
That's how I could play the whole Master of Puppets tape within 1 year of playing.
I don't know if I will be able to practice 5 to 8 hours a day.

My ultimate goal though is to play this
Quote:
Old Mar 18, 2019, 02:54 PM   #11
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Sweet man, good luck to you.
I played for about 8 years. My ending years I was in a strolling strings troop.

We would walk around while playing, I was very young, not married yet and very shy. It was around valentines day so we had a special song and a rose tucked in the cummerbund. When we got a certain spot the piano would randomly cut out and the nearest couple we would stop playing the violin and kneel and sing to the lady and present the rose. Needless to say I lost my voice I had such bad stage fright. So I did my best to mouth the words. The husband was like come on boy speak up and the lady was in tears telling him to pip down I was clearly doing my best. I gave her the rose, she hugged me and I ran out of the building. I have never played again. I still had dreams of that horror 20 years later.

I sold my violin a some years later to my baby sister that went on to become an award winning composer. It was a 1st gen copy of a strat made in West Germany. Very rare. I do miss it, and when I listen to certain classical and fiddling music I find my fingers moving still to this day. My sis keeps trying to give the thing back saying she will not give up till I play again. ^_^ Love that girl.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 03:10 PM   #12
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
I decided to rent a violin, it is a Rent to Own that I am doing and 100% of my payments go towards to owning the Violin, 0% interest, I got an $800 new Yamaha Student Violin. I am paying for an Insurance+Maintenance+repair of $5.77 a month, it covers theft, accidental/non negligence damage, repairs and maintenance on the Violin.
With my dad being a musician, he got a used violin for me when I started (from Claude "Fiddler" Williams). It was pretty beat up. Given how many instruments I had been through by then, I don't blame him. After about 8 or so years of playing (I did get a new bow early on), my father asked me if I wanted a new violin. I kept the old one as it had character.
Mahjik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2019, 01:00 PM   #13
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Sweet man, good luck to you.
I played for about 8 years. My ending years I was in a strolling strings troop.

We would walk around while playing, I was very young, not married yet and very shy. It was around valentines day so we had a special song and a rose tucked in the cummerbund. When we got a certain spot the piano would randomly cut out and the nearest couple we would stop playing the violin and kneel and sing to the lady and present the rose. Needless to say I lost my voice I had such bad stage fright. So I did my best to mouth the words. The husband was like come on boy speak up and the lady was in tears telling him to pip down I was clearly doing my best. I gave her the rose, she hugged me and I ran out of the building. I have never played again. I still had dreams of that horror 20 years later.

I sold my violin a some years later to my baby sister that went on to become an award winning composer. It was a 1st gen copy of a strat made in West Germany. Very rare. I do miss it, and when I listen to certain classical and fiddling music I find my fingers moving still to this day. My sis keeps trying to give the thing back saying she will not give up till I play again. ^_^ Love that girl.
Good memories. And your sis sounds like a good lady.
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2019, 03:11 AM   #14
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Guitar and piano here. Haven't played for years. Started with guitar when i was around 8. Stayed with accoustic guitar because it fits my needs/desires the most. Had to save up my money a few years to get a better one, but it was worth it. Music is something very special.

Have fun the violin, Lettuce.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote