Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

View Poll Results: How effective of a solution will AMD's upcoming 4X4 be?
It will be faster than Intel's best. 7 25.00%
It will be about equal to Intel's best. 9 32.14%
It will be slower than Intel's best. 9 32.14%
I'm a non-voting felon. 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 8, 2006, 02:23 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

AMD 4X4 predictions...

How effective of a solution will 4X4 be? Vote...

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 02:49 AM   #2
cjl64
The Mod has you....

cjl64 is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

I would think it would be faster. This is the first CPU refresh we have seen from AMD since the intel C2D was released. AMD is not about to sit there and take that. AM2 kinda sucked as it did not impress much with the DDR2. Plus the new 4x4 from Intel is supposed to me more like 2 C2D placed together. AMD has been very good about getting it right the first time with direct communication of CPU and memory. But time will tell. I would like to see AMD back on top. Not to mention Nvidia needs to working on their CPU to help bring new competition to the mainstream.
cjl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 03:20 AM   #3
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

I don't really understand why people are even semi-excited by this.

It's already obvious it has lost to C2Q before it's even been released, not to mention the retarded price tag involved.

AMD is gasping at straws here.

Seriously, a niche product which doesn't really even have a niche.

Sorry to sound harsh, but i don't think i'm gonna be too far off.

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 8, 2006, 08:27 AM   #4
a12ctic
Rage3D Veteran

a12ctic is still being judged by the masses

I dont see why they cant just paste the chips together unttil they finish quad like intel does.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 09:03 AM   #5
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post

It's already obvious it has lost to C2Q before it's even been released, not to mention the retarded price tag involved.

Old Nov 8, 2006, 03:58 PM   #6
FloppyDonkeyDick
4870x2 RIP

FloppyDonkeyDick is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

I think those words, need some professional backing, IE some links to actually results. Right now it sounds like your grasping at straws.
FloppyDonkeyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 04:30 PM   #7
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

He doesn't have to link anything if you've been keeping up with the roadmaps. Initial 4x4 offerings are all current gen FX chips simply mounted on a 1207 pin design and NOT Barcelona. A dual core, dual socket machine is a waste of space until Barcelona in comparison to Kentsfield. Only place for a dual socket rig will remain workstation/server (where Opteron/FX still holds the memory bandwidth advantage and the apps to use it) and 4x4 won't take off for enthusiasts until it REALLY is 4 cores on a socket (aka Barcelona aka K8L) and dual sockets. Your looking at platforms that will give minimal support to a future processor. New chipsets will come out around the time of Barcelona's launch making any first gen 4x4 setups functional, but obsolete comparatively.

I'm putting ALOT of hope into Barcelona, but realistically I only expect it to bring AMD on par core for core performance-wise against Intel. But even equality will be great news and I'll take that if that's what we get.

Last edited by moshpit : Nov 8, 2006 at 04:34 PM.
moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:43 PM   #8
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Well I expect the 4X4 to at least be on par with the best single chip solution Intel can throw down. I also have hopes that it will be at a suprisingly low price point.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:58 PM   #9
Hell_Razor
h3lln1nj4

Hell_Razor is still being judged by the masses

well, i think amd won't be far off, provided some results of course.

their high end x2 and fx are not out yet, just like ati and nvidia. the battle will start when all the cards are on the table.
Hell_Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:03 AM   #10
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
Well I expect the 4X4 to at least be on par with the best single chip solution Intel can throw down. I also have hopes that it will be at a suprisingly low price point.
Describe "on par". If you mean efficiency in handling 4 total threads without bandwidth restrictions, okay, I'll agree with you and go one further in saying that there's no question that even the first gen 4x4 will be memory bandwidth king. If you mean almost ANY other facet of the enthusiast computing experience (total performance at launch, power per watt, temperatures, pretty much anything I can think of) then I cannot agree with you at all. First gen 4x4 chips have next to nothing to improve IPC over current gen X2/FX series chips beyond the DDR2 controller getting a few minor tweaks. So total execution power of the 4 Intel cores will exceed the 4 cores available to a 4x4 first gen system. And performance per watt is on the Intel side too.

As I said, I'm waiting on Barcelona for AMD to dig in it's heels and stop Intel's dominance in the performance sector right now (not counting workstations/servers - that's too debatable as AMD is still doing really well there...). I'm looking forward to the time when I can rotate that C2D in my sig down in favor of a 4x4 Barcelona rig fed by at least 4Gb DDR3

Last edited by moshpit : Nov 9, 2006 at 12:09 AM.
moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:19 AM   #11
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

When I say on-par I mean that I think they will be able to deliver equal gaming experiences as Intel. 4X4 seems designed with gaming in mind and I think that it will have success there. It will also likely give Intel a good run for the money in 3DSM and other 3D ap's IMO.

Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:24 AM   #12
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
When I say on-par I mean that I think they will be able to deliver equal gaming experiences as Intel. 4X4 seems designed with gaming in mind and I think that it will have success there. It will also likely give Intel a good run for the money in 3DSM and other 3D ap's IMO.
In 3D rendering apps, maybe, but not likely in games designed for 4+ threads like Alan Wake and Crysis, no I wouldn't agree. There will be at least a small disparity in Intels favor in these games due to it's superior core performance. It's not until AMD beefs up it's FPU performance that it'll reach par in that area.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 01:24 AM   #13
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

But the way that it communicates with the dual videocards is supposed to increase gaming potental. I'm not sure exactly how that works, but the set up sounds good. So maybe it could beat an SLI set up with a single Intel Chip...

Old Nov 9, 2006, 04:43 AM   #14
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

I'm an AMD guy and I agree with this. Why not just buy 1 single part which holds 4 cores, instead of AMD's solution which is to have more sockets with more crap to do the same job?
Old Nov 9, 2006, 04:45 AM   #15
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

I don't know... I thought it had something to do with how the 4 parts communicate. Maybe with how the CPUs and GPUs interact. There IS room for improvement there and since gaming is largely GPU bottlenecked then this might very well prove a good use of hardware.

Also, anyone know of when 4X4 is supposed to arrive??? Sometime before Intel's Quad core I assume...