Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Operating Systems
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Operating Systems Discussion topics on operating systems including all iterations of Windows, Linux, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

Old Apr 24, 2006, 02:02 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
PreservedSwine
When's dinner?

PreservedSwine is still being judged by the masses

Default Top 10 Windows XP tips of all time

Don't know if this is a repost, but I fpund a couple of these very usefull)

Link
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government—lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry
PreservedSwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 05:11 PM   #2
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

this was the worst tip ever.

Tip 7: Run two displays on the same PC.

no **** einstein

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 05:34 PM   #3
a12ctic
Rage3D Veteran

a12ctic is still being judged by the masses

1: Dont used the internet, could lead to virus's

edit: WILL LEAD TO VIRUS'S
2: dont use the master acount make a really gimped user acount
3: NEVER USE INTERNET EXPLORER FOR THE INTERNET (if you need to use it)
4: dont bother with the freeware, only opensource operating systems have good freeware
5: Buy ms office!!! JUST KIDDING GET OPENOFFICE ITS FREE AND BETTER
6: Buy a valid key, and be prepaired to buy more, you can only install this 200$ product on 1 computer!
7: Research open source operating systems for a more flexable and smooth operating system
8: If you have problems call one of our 3erd world contry tech support sweat shops to talk to somebody who barly knows english!
9: Buy windows xp pro so that setting up your internet is user friendly!
10: Make sure to use driver disks, a new version of windows is only released every 5 years and MS cant provide updated drivers, or drivers period.
a12ctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:15 PM   #4
PreservedSwine
When's dinner?

PreservedSwine is still being judged by the masses

relax, it's not supposed to be the holy grail...

i found these two usefull, however...

Quote:
Tip 6: Force unresponsive applications to close at shutdown.

When it comes to balky PCs, few things annoy us more than the moment when we try to shut down Windows and it tells us it can't because some crashed application isn't responding, and that we have to do it ourselves by clicking the End Now button.

This registry hack changes that. Here's how it works.

1. Launch RegEdit (select Start > Run, type regedit and click OK) and browse to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

2. Find the string called AutoEndTasks. Right-click it, select Modify from the pop-up menu, and change the data value from 0 to 1. (If you can't find this string, create it by selecting Edit > New > String Value and set the data value to 1.)

3. Close RegEdit and reboot.

Tip 5: Automatically optimize your hard drive.

One of the keys to system performance is an optimized hard drive. Typically, you optimize your hard drive using Windows' Defrag utility. But there's a great registry hack that will force Win XP to automatically optimize the location of files when your PC is idle. Here's how it works.

1. Open RegEdit and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
OptimalLayout

2. Find the string called EnableAutoLayout, and change its data value to 1. (If this string doesn't exist, create it and set the value to 1.)

3. Exit RegEdit and reboot your PC. Done!
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government—lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry
PreservedSwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 07:26 PM   #5
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i suddenly remembered to defrag and create a restore point

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote