Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and technical support forum for legacy ATI technology such as Rage, Rage Fury and Rage MAXX.

Old Dec 6, 2000, 11:46 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
superj

superj is still being judged by the masses

Question

I have such a problem. I sure hope somebody has the time and a anwser to help me out.I AM AT THE END OF MY ROPE! I have a CompusaPC Laptop "AMERINOTE". It is a cheep laptop I know, but I like it. It has a Pentium II cpu with 128 Mb of ram and 6 gig HD. The video card is why I am here. The video card is a Rage LT pro agp 2x . The laptop has a tv out s-port. When the laptop was first sold it was designed to use windows 98,it can do that. I however am trying to use Windows ME. MY upgrade efforts are not going so well. After I format and install a fresh full version
of WindowsME. It finds every thing and has its own driver for every thing. This is great except With out the ATI software (as far as I know) I can not make use of the tv out S-port. So If I try to install the win98 driver for the Rage under windows ME, tv out works how ever by installing the driver It some how causes the machine to freeze while in suspend or hibernate mode. I kind of need these options since it is a laptop and battery power is of concern. What can I do???? I tried to get Compusa to help me, their service proves
worthless thus far. They told me they will not make a updated driver to support the rage under win me. I have tried w98_rpro_4_11_2628_en from the ati website. and I tried w82560en also from the ati website. I also tried FDv3 from the rage3d web site. All of these are suppose to work under WINME but I got the same results with them all suspend freezing.
I am so lost. I do not know where to turn now. The only driver that allows suspend mode to funtion under WINME is the one that WINME auto installs when it first boots. But I can not use TV out that way (this will not do). Thanks for all your time. AND EVEN IF I DO NOT GET HELP . I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY THANKS
FOR THIS WEBSITE "IT RULES".
JASON "superJ"
superj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2000, 05:52 AM   #2
Ishman
Radeon R300

Ishman is still being judged by the masses

1. Make sure that you do a clean install before changing drivers.

2. Try to switch to where the video is on the TV only. Sometimes the might help.

3. Try the dell driver or some others.
Search this sight for TV out and you might obtain better info.

Ishman
Ishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2000, 12:23 PM   #3
superj

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Ishman:
1. Make sure that you do a clean install before changing drivers.

2. Try to switch to where the video is on the TV only. Sometimes the might help.

3. Try the dell driver or some others.
Search this sight for TV out and you might obtain better info.

Ishman
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for your reply Ishman.
I will respond to your comments in order

1.I always do use a clean install. most of the time I even go so far as to format first just to make sure. (a little extream but true)

2.The Tv out always works fine when I have the option to use it. The problem is when I use the WINME driver and do not install ati's software. I can not find any place to swith on the s-port with out ati's software.The tab for switching display's is just not there. And the computer works great with WinME drivers but as soon as I install the ATI software I can not use suspend mode or hibernate. So right now I must choose,
WINME DRIVERS NO OPTION FOR TV out S-PORT, or.....
ATI DRIVERS TV OUT WORKS GREAT BUT NO SUSPEND MODE OR HIBERNATE BECAUSE IT WILL GO INTO A ETERNALL SLEEP AND NOT AWAKEN.

3.I like the idea of looking for a DELL or similar laptop that may have the same video card. Where to begin looking though??? I will find that one tuff.(ANYTHING AT THIS POINT IS WORTH A TRY)

Thank you for your ideas and if you ar ANYBODY can offer any additional suggestions please do not hold back.
THANKS AGAIN
Jason.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 7, 2000, 10:26 PM   #4
Slaykill
Radeon R700

Slaykill is still being judged by the masses

Here is a link to download the Dell M6.11.69-T07 driver, it just might be worth a try. One of the things it specifically does is correct problems with s-video tv-out on Inspiron 7500 or 5000 notebooks using the mobility-P or mobility-M running Win98 or WinMe. It's possible that it may work for you, but be prepared for the worst just in case.

Dell M6.11.69-T07, A04

No need to format, but I would do a clean install.
Slaykill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2000, 12:22 PM   #5
superj

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Slaykill:
Here is a link to download the Dell M6.11.69-T07 driver, it just might be worth a try. One of the things it specifically does is correct problems with s-video tv-out on Inspiron 7500 or 5000 notebooks using the mobility-P or mobility-M running Win98 or WinMe. It's possible that it may work for you, but be prepared for the worst just in case.

Dell M6.11.69-T07, A04

No need to format, but I would do a clean install.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have downloaded and tried the driver you provided a link to. all to no avail. The result was the same result I got with all the other drivers I had. The s-port option was there and working but STANDBY (suspend or hibernate)will freeze once it goes into that mode. Right away I had some concerns with the driver you suggested anyway.
1. I do not have the MOBILTY I have the rage pro LT.
2.I do not need improved support for the tv out option. I am not haveing trouble with the S- port (perhaps you already gatherd that,I hope)

The problem is that the Driver that came wtih the AMERINOTE(compusapc)was designed for WIN98. Now I am using WINME. When I first install WINME It has a "generic" driver that works for the laptop. Of course the generic windows driver does not have the software needed to make the "tab" I click to ingauge the Tv-out. SO once i install "any" driver I gain full tv out support avery time but the problem is that I lose suspend mode. Well I can go into suspend but the comp will not awaken.

I will say spcifically what tab I need in order to change a swicth and start the connected tv up through the s-port.

RIGHT CLICK ON ANY BLANK SPOT OF THE DESKTOP

LEFT CLICK ON THE "PROPERTIES" OPTION IN THE MENU

CLICK ON THE "SETTINGS" TAB IN THE DISPLAY PROPERTIES

NOW CLICK THE "ADVANCED" BUTTON

NOW THIS IS WHERE I HAVE A MISSING TAB WITHOUT THE ATI SOFTWARE. GENERIC WINDOWS ME DRIVERS DO NOT HAVE THE SOFTWARE INCLUDED TO MAKE THE TAB I NEED NOW

THAT TAB IS "DISPLAY"

THE IN THE "display" box there is a picture of a "TV" and "LCD display" and a "EXTERNAL MONITER" each of those options have a check box that can be checked or unchecked to enable or disable.

WITH OUT these options I can not use the features. But I CAN NOT find a driver that includes these features and does not disrupt the use of suspend mode.

THANK YOU MUCH
PLEASE HELP!!!
JASON

Old Dec 11, 2000, 09:20 AM   #6
Slaykill
Radeon R700

Slaykill is still being judged by the masses

I have a feeling that there is no driver that will do what you want. To put it simply, you want a driver that has the "displays" tab and also lets you resume from standby or hibernate without crashing. The way Windows does sleep/standby/hibernate has caused problems for a lot of people, especially laptop users who need it the most to conserve battery power.

I guess you'll have to keep looking for other drivers...although if you have truly have an LT Pro and not a Mobility then you'll have a harder time of it. You could try this Microsoft driver search page by entering "rage lt pro" and looking in "displays". That pulls up a whole bunch of drivers.
Slaykill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2000, 08:20 AM   #7
apurohit

apurohit is still being judged by the masses

Maybe this is all a BIOS/hibernate problem? Sometimes the BIOS and hibernate functions are the ones causing the problem - which is why I never use hibernate - only standby.

I have the ATI Rage Pro LT on my laptop and standby works fine. I also have the Display and other icons you mention - they installed with EVERY ATI driverset I used. Are you disabling the additional ATI files in the startup group? These are needed because they generate the extentions for the control panel/display windows. When they load, they leave the "ATI" icon in the system tray...

In summary, my S-Video and standby work fine. Oh, my laptop is a Micron Transport ZX with Win98SE. Micron had some SVideo issues when this laptop was released, so they have an updated, S-Video-fixed driverset on their website. Interestingly enough, it's an older version than ATI's or anyone elses: 4.11.2045. And, according to the ATI website, the drive should be "ATI2DRAA.dll" when mine is "ATI2DRAB.dll". Oh well, it's a work computer, so I don't care - these drivers seem fine for the most part.

Ashwin
apurohit is offline   Reply With Quote