Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Mar 8, 2003, 09:02 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razors
Radeon R300

Razors is still being judged by the masses

Red face NVDA has ATI Trapped

If you can afford the best why buy a 9800 Pro? (see below) and if like most of us you have a more modest budget why buy a 9200 DX8 when you can buy a GFX5200 DX9 for less? (and lets face it better driver / game support)

http://www6.tomshardware.com/busine...dc_2003-04.html

What was perhaps more impressive however, was the fact that he shared a little sneak preview glimpse of the next generation product that they are working on. With the GeForceFX just starting to make its way into the channel (according to Nvidia), they already have the next generation GPU up and running. It is so far along in fact that they show a brand new version of the "Dawn Demo", but with a special twist. This time, not only Dawn was prancing around on the screen, but her three sisters as well. Of course it didn't take a rocket scientist to see the amount of potential graphics power that this next generation product could be packing. While he declined to release any additional details, he said "We are not ready to give up the performance crown and out next generation product will take performance to another new level when it is released and continue Nvidia's as the performance leader." Nvidia is clearly he is very serious about recapturing the performance crown and of course this is a good thing.
Razors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 09:08 AM   #2
JohnnyAssSlappr
Radeon R520

JohnnyAssSlappr is still being judged by the masses

Link doesn't work genius.
P4 2.4C @ 3.3 275FSB ~ Asus P4C800-E ~ 1024MB OCZ Gold PC4000 @ 440mhz ~ eVGA 6800 GT @ 430/1.17 ~ 2x80GB WD SE ~ Dell P1130 21inch ~ Water cooled CPU/GPU 31-40C load ~ Modded AMS gtower w/ Antec True Blue 480W PSU

SSHHHH...
JohnnyAssSlappr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 09:08 AM   #3
epicstruggle
Radeon R300

epicstruggle is still being judged by the masses

Hmm, interesting. Ati is king of the hill, but NV has built a wall to surround Ati. Well that wall might be made of paper mache if they are comparing the 5200 with the mx series of cards
correct link:
tomshardware

later
FireFly, one of the best sci-fi shows ever. :)
epicstruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 8, 2003, 09:31 AM   #4
Doomtrooper
Radeon Arctic Islands

Doomtrooper is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: NVDA has ATI Trapped

Quote:
Originally posted by Razors
If you can afford the best why buy a 9800 Pro? (see below) and if like most of us you have a more modest budget why buy a 9200 DX8 when you can buy a GFX5200 DX9 for less? (and lets face it better driver / game support)

What was perhaps more impressive however, was the fact that he shared a little sneak preview glimpse of the next generation product that they are working on. With the GeForceFX just starting to make its way into the channel (according to Nvidia), they already have the next generation GPU up and running. It is so far along in fact that they show a brand new version of the "Dawn Demo", but with a special twist. This time, not only Dawn was prancing around on the screen, but her three sisters as well. Of course it didn't take a rocket scientist to see the amount of potential graphics power that this next generation product could be packing. While he declined to release any additional details, he said "We are not ready to give up the performance crown and out next generation product will take performance to another new level when it is released and continue Nvidia's as the performance leader." Nvidia is clearly he is very serious about recapturing the performance crown and of course this is a good thing.
Come back after the reviews, you fail to list the 9600 Non Pro which is in the $100-$130 range, the 9200 is doing just fine if you want to list lame ass Nvidia slides:

Doomtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 09:34 AM   #5
Hanners
Zetsubou Sensei

Hanners is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
If you can afford the best why buy a 9800 Pro?
Why not?
Old Mar 8, 2003, 09:34 AM   #6
MuFu
should be at a lecture

MuFu is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
What was perhaps more impressive however, was the fact that he shared a little sneak preview glimpse of the next generation product that they are working on.
Next generation product? My hairy a$$hole...

MuFu.
MuFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 09:51 AM   #7
Hanners
Zetsubou Sensei

Hanners is still being judged by the masses

Just for people's interest, here is a video showing that 'multiple Dawn' demo running.

It's hard to make out what's being said while it's running, but I don't hear anything about a next generation nVidia product, and I very much doubt they have working silicon of such a product.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 09:53 AM   #8
DDM_Reaper20
Radeon R600

DDM_Reaper20 is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Re: NVDA has ATI Trapped

Quote:
Originally posted by MuFu
Next generation product? My hairy a$$hole...

MuFu.
Well, at least that wouldn't need a molex connector...
Old Mar 8, 2003, 10:01 AM   #9
Doomtrooper
Radeon Arctic Islands

This kid is just spamming the boards, he was over on Nvnews doing the same thing.

/ignore
Old Mar 8, 2003, 10:02 AM   #10
Targon
Radeon R520

Targon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Let's see, if you can afford the best. Do you consider the Geforce FX Ultra, which isn't even available the best? The thing has a fan on it so large, it's obvious it's a SLOWER card that's been overclocked to even become competitive with the 9700 pro. The 9800 pro is even higher performance.

The 9200 is a DX 9 card, the 9000 and 9100 are DX 8.

Do you even know what the actual performance will be of one of those new Geforce cards? I sure havn't seen a Geforce FX current generation available, let alone the next generation. The performance crown is currently held by ATI, NOT Nvidia. A product that only has engineering samples available doesn't count when it comes to leadership. To say that Nvidia has the crown at this point would be like saying that the AMD Athlon 64 is the highest performing PC CPU. If they have it in development, that's nice on paper, but until it's available, it won't be accepted.

As for the next generation, I'm not claiming Nvidia won't be able to reclaim the performance crown, but with the Geforce FX, they sure havn't done it. Their next gen product MAY be able to do it, but ATI probably has THEIR own next generation product in the works too. I don't call a "next stepping" version the next generation. I'm talking Radeon to Radeon 8500 to Radeon 9700. The Radeon 9800 is NOT the next generation, it's an updated version of the 9700. The NV31 and 34 by the names arn't the next generation either, they are improved versions of the NV30. Next generation would be the NV40, and I SERIOUSLY doubt that's anywhere near ready.
Targon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 10:07 AM   #11
digitalwanderer
Dangerously Mirthful

digitalwanderer is still being judged by the masses

Default ROFLMFAO~~~~~~~~~

YEAY!!!!!

Now that someone can actually GET an FX the nVidiots are gonna be coming out in force!

I hearby declare it open season on all nVidiots anywhere on the internet, with the exception of nVnews since they're being so cool and all.

Bubbles Phenom II X4 965 BE, Gigabyte MA790FXT-UDP5, 2x2GB Corsair XMS3, ATi Radeon HD 5970, ADA885, Corsair 620hx, 200GB, 200GB, CD/DVD burner
Blue Phenom X4 9950 BE, Asus A8A32-MVP, 2x1Gb Crucial PC8500, ATi Radeon HD 4870, ATi 650 Theatre Pro, 250GB, 500GB
Darkstar Phenom II X4 955 BE, Asus M3A32-MVP, 1x2Gb Kingston HyperX PC8500, 512MB Radeon 5870, DVD, 80GB, 160GB
Fluffy Phenom II X4 940 BE ,Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H, 2x1Gb Corsair Dominator PC8500, ATi Radeon HD 4970, 250GB, QuickCam
Bertha Inspiron 1705 UXGA, C2D T5200 (1.6Ghz), 2Gb DDR2 @ 533, 256Mb ATi Mobility X1400, 120Gb 5400, CD/DVD burner
Baggo Dell Inspiron 8200, P4 1.8Ghz, 1-1/2Gb PC2100, 32Mb GeForce2 Go, 120Gb HDD

digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 10:20 AM   #12
spike700
Rage3D Veteran

spike700 is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Re: NVDA has ATI Trapped

Quote:
Originally posted by Targon
Let's see, if you can afford the best. Do you consider the Geforce FX Ultra, which isn't even available the best? The thing has a fan on it so large, it's obvious it's a SLOWER card that's been overclocked to even become competitive with the 9700 pro. The 9800 pro is even higher performance.

The 9200 is a DX 9 card, the 9000 and 9100 are DX 8.

Do you even know what the actual performance will be of one of those new Geforce cards? I sure havn't seen a Geforce FX current generation available, let alone the next generation. The performance crown is currently held by ATI, NOT Nvidia. A product that only has engineering samples available doesn't count when it comes to leadership. To say that Nvidia has the crown at this point would be like saying that the AMD Athlon 64 is the highest performing PC CPU. If they have it in development, that's nice on paper, but until it's available, it won't be accepted.

As for the next generation, I'm not claiming Nvidia won't be able to reclaim the performance crown, but with the Geforce FX, they sure havn't done it. Their next gen product MAY be able to do it, but ATI probably has THEIR own next generation product in the works too. I don't call a "next stepping" version the next generation. I'm talking Radeon to Radeon 8500 to Radeon 9700. The Radeon 9800 is NOT the next generation, it's an updated version of the 9700. The NV31 and 34 by the names arn't the next generation either, they are improved versions of the NV30. Next generation would be the NV40, and I SERIOUSLY doubt that's anywhere near ready.
The 9200 is a dx8.1 card, it is just a 9000 that supports agp 8x.
nv31 and 34 are the mainstream and budget version of nv30. nvidia will most likly kill ATi in budget card sales due to the facts that thiers cliams dx9 support but what good is ps2.0 if it can only render at 2fps? i highly doubt that nv35 will be much more than a revamped nv30, if they do give it 8 true pixel pipes it would be a new generation with the latest revision of thier dustbuster. nv35 will be to the 9800pro what nv30 was to the 9700pro, marginally faster with inferior IQ
spike700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 10:24 AM   #13
Doomtrooper
Radeon Arctic Islands

The 9600 NP will be priced competetively with the 5200, why is everyone listening the Nvidia PR crap here, ATI states in the launch video quite clearly the 9600 NP is their low end entry DX9 card and depending on board makers will be in $100 range.

So 9600 NP is $90-$100
5200 is -$80

Wow 10 bucks
Old Mar 8, 2003, 10:26 AM   #14
Doomtrooper
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
The 9200 is a dx8.1 card, it is just a 9000 that supports agp 8x.
Until reviews are complete we need to keep these assumptions to just speculation, that above graph shown on the launch video shows possibly ATI has changed the AA to MSAA, as its beating a Gefore4 MX by alot with AA on.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 10:27 AM   #15
Brent
[H]ard|Video|Gawd

Brent is still being judged by the masses

performance is one thing, but what about iq

ati is still the king of aa/af right now
Old Mar 8, 2003, 10:31 AM   #16
Doomtrooper
Radeon Arctic Islands

How did your test go with application settings used for AF Brent, did it affect the FX scores in any way vs. balanced.

Last edited by Doomtrooper : Mar 8, 2003 at 10:36 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 11:43 AM   #17
mulciber
Radeon Arctic Islands

mulciber is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Doomtrooper
The 9600 NP will be priced competetively with the 5200, why is everyone listening the Nvidia PR crap here, ATI states in the launch video quite clearly the 9600 NP is their low end entry DX9 card and depending on board makers will be in $100 range.

So 9600 NP is $90-$100
5200 is -$80

Wow 10 bucks
Is the $90-100 MSRP? Link me to that, I'd like to see it.

Thanks
[13:45:19] <Mulciber> PEACE TO ALAH! *explodes in crowd of children*
[13:45:47] <Hanners> lol
[13:45:52] <Robotzombie> clockwork knows all about exploding onto a crowd of children

mulciber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 11:47 AM   #18
Doomtrooper
Radeon Arctic Islands

Watch the video, Rick Bergman specifically says Non Pros will be in the 100 range with AIB's.

Why would that be so hard to believe, we are talking a smaller Die size here with no Molex Connector
Old Mar 8, 2003, 12:05 PM   #19
digitalwanderer
Dangerously Mirthful

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent
performance is one thing, but what about iq

ati is still the king of aa/af right now
Oh yeah? And what do YOU know about that you little fanATIc?!?

I think IQ is a subjective thing, not an absolute! Maybe some of us LIKE a bit of blur to our image, it covers up all the jaggies and AF seperation bands!

You loyalists and your crazy talk, all based around sheer OPINION!

(Sorry, it's a slow weekend and it looked like this poor fool was just too outgunned so I decided to switch teams for this debate. All respects and props to ya Brent, I'm just funning.)

Bubbles Phenom II X4 965 BE, Gigabyte MA790FXT-UDP5, 2x2GB Corsair XMS3, ATi Radeon HD 5970, ADA885, Corsair 620hx, 200GB, 200GB, CD/DVD burner
Blue Phenom X4 9950 BE, Asus A8A32-MVP, 2x1Gb Crucial PC8500, ATi Radeon HD 4870, ATi 650 Theatre Pro, 250GB, 500GB
Darkstar Phenom II X4 955 BE, Asus M3A32-MVP, 1x2Gb Kingston HyperX PC8500, 512MB Radeon 5870, DVD, 80GB, 160GB
Fluffy Phenom II X4 940 BE ,Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H, 2x1Gb Corsair Dominator PC8500, ATi Radeon HD 4970, 250GB, QuickCam
Bertha Inspiron 1705 UXGA, C2D T5200 (1.6Ghz), 2Gb DDR2 @ 533, 256Mb ATi Mobility X1400, 120Gb 5400, CD/DVD burner
Baggo Dell Inspiron 8200, P4 1.8Ghz, 1-1/2Gb PC2100, 32Mb GeForce2 Go, 120Gb HDD

Old Mar 8, 2003, 12:07 PM   #20
Doomtrooper
Radeon Arctic Islands

The old Digital Wanderer from the past has returned
Old Mar 8, 2003, 12:17 PM   #21
Someotherdude
Radeon Evergreen

Someotherdude is still being judged by the masses

The latest word from someone at ixbt on the beyond3d forum are that both the Nv31 and Nv34 are essentially 2x2 configs. Would that mean only half of the ps2.0 power of the already weak ps2.0 power of the Nv30? If so, then they would suck their own [email protected]
Someotherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 12:21 PM   #22
Doomtrooper
Radeon Arctic Islands

Yes I've been watching that thread, I'm more concerned about some comments from Nvidia employees over there leaning towards the comments 'who cares PS 2.0 is the key to DX9' which is a lie, Vertex Shader 2.0 is also needed to render any Shader with any speed, the feature has to be useable to really be considered supported.

I know the NV34's vetex pipeline is hacked up bad.

Last edited by Doomtrooper : Mar 8, 2003 at 12:25 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 12:41 PM   #23
RichyBoy
Radeon R700

RichyBoy is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
"We are not ready to give up the performance crown and out next generation product will take performance to another new level when it is released and continue Nvidia's as the performance leader."
It seems nobody told the poor deluded fool that his company somewhat fumbled the performance crown six months back, and have yet to show any serious attempt at reclaiming it save their own trash-talking (which judging by the GeForce FX isn't worth the metaphorical paper it's printed on).

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer

Sorry, it's a slow weekend and it looked like this poor fool was just too outgunned so I decided to switch teams for this debate.
Well let's face it, the poor sod didn't do much to help himself in the credibility stakes by horribly mangling the name of the company he's evangelising in the thread title.
Athlon 64 3500+ / Abit Fatal1ty AN8 / 2x512MB Corsair PC3200 DDR RAM / 256MB Abit Radeon X700 Pro / Soundblaster Audigy 2 with Creative Inspire 6700 6.1 speakers / 2x Seagate SATA Barracuda ATA V 80GB / Samsung 16X DVD-ROM drive / Phillips CD-RW 1610A / 480W Tagan Whisperquiet PSU / Thermaltake Xaser II A5000B+ case / Win XP Home Edition (SP2) / DX9.0c
RichyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 01:16 PM   #24
digitalwanderer
Dangerously Mirthful

Quote:
Originally posted by Someotherdude
The latest word from someone at ixbt on the beyond3d forum are that both the Nv31 and Nv34 are essentially 2x2 configs. Would that mean only half of the ps2.0 power of the already weak ps2.0 power of the Nv30? If so, then they would suck their own [email protected]
Yeah? Like the 9600 won't?!?! Let's just see ATI try and match nVidia with playing the games "the way they were meant to be played"!

Can you say drivers? Let's talk about drivers....

Old Mar 8, 2003, 02:14 PM   #25
Psionic
black hole sun

Psionic is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
(and lets face it better driver / game support)
Quote:
Sorry, not a valid argument anymore.
Psionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 02:20 PM   #26
euan
Radeon Arctic Islands

euan is still being judged by the masses

Talking

Quote:
Yeah? Like the 9600 won't?!?! Let's just see ATI try and match nVidia with playing the games "the way they were meant to be played"!

Hey dig your exactly like a guy who we used have to live with at school. We'd be playing football (soccer), then all of a sudden he's switch teams, and start scoring own goal if the other team was loosing badly.
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music...." -- - Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation, Inc, 1989
euan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 02:25 PM   #27
quattro
Radeon R520

quattro is still being judged by the masses

wanderer, where is you famous "cheesy balls" comment????
quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 02:47 PM   #28
Lone Wolfe
Radeon R300

Lone Wolfe is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

hmm lemme see didn't nvidia show off a dawn demo like last year and there hardware that suppose to run it has just recently been release, and it only being mediocre, yet this dillusional kid is talking about the next gen card showing the next dawn demo.
Lone Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 02:56 PM   #29
voodoo5
Radeon R520

voodoo5 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

please spare us with the driver BS, it's old news my friend, ATI'S Catalist drivers are solid as a rock, where have you been, and the way it's meant to be played slogan is getting old also from Nvidia, since the R300 is the king of graphics at the moment, get a life, do you by any chance work for Nvidia, cause only an Nvidia emplyee would be making such a fool of themselvs, now get lost and go crawl under that rock you call Nvidia.
2048MB PC5300 DDR2 667 mushkin
Toshiba 16x40 DVD
Pioneer 16X16 DVD-RW+RW Burner
VisionTek ATI HD4870 512MB GDR5
Pioneer PRO-110FD PDP
this sig was automatically shortened to meet the 10-lines max rule
voodoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 03:03 PM   #30
shurleydude
Radeon R700

shurleydude is still being judged by the masses

If catalyst drivers are solid as a rock, why are ATi fanboys expecting some nice performance increases via drivers, yet at the same time stating the GeForce FX will likely get 10% more at most. It's a double edged sword for the ATi fanboys.
512 MB Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR RAM
80 GB Seagate Barricudda HD
shurleydude is offline   Reply With Quote