Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:01 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ChrisW
Radeon Evergreen

ChrisW is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation NV30 still not taped out!

OK, I'm reposting this since it's obvious nobody read it the first time. It seems the NV30 is still not taped out as of August 15. Don't believe me??? Listen to nVidia themselves:
NVidia Conference Call
Just skip to 21:39 and listen to them dodge the question! If it hasn't taped out by now, when will it???
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:07 AM   #2
Hellbinder
Nothing but the Truth

Hellbinder is still being judged by the masses

Is that from Aug 15th? or is that the call from a week or so ago...

I have read from pretty good sources that it finally taped out on monday... a few days ago..
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:10 AM   #3
ChrisW
Radeon Evergreen

It is from the conference call yesterday.

Link
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:25 AM   #4
ChrisW
Radeon Evergreen

Some interesting things from it so you don't have to listen to the entire thing (like I did):

Doom3, Unreal Tournament 2003, and Half-Life 2 will be releases at the same time.

He refuses to talk about NV28 as it has not been announced...yet. This leads me to believe it may be the mistery card released next week.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:28 AM   #5
JohnnyAssSlappr
Radeon R520

JohnnyAssSlappr is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Some interesting things from it so you don't have to listen to the entire thing (like I did):

Doom3, Unreal Tournament 2003, and Half-Life 2 will be releases at the same time.

He refuses to talk about NV28 as it has not been announced...yet. This leads me to believe it may be the mistery card released next week.
Are you referring to the AGP 8x referred to over at [H]? If thats so, it sounds like they are rushing to get something out so it will have some competition with the 9700. Man Nvidia sounds like they are getting desparate.

If the NV30 isn't even taped out yet, they are gonna be hurting.
P4 2.4C @ 3.3 275FSB ~ Asus P4C800-E ~ 1024MB OCZ Gold PC4000 @ 440mhz ~ eVGA 6800 GT @ 430/1.17 ~ 2x80GB WD SE ~ Dell P1130 21inch ~ Water cooled CPU/GPU 31-40C load ~ Modded AMS gtower w/ Antec True Blue 480W PSU

SSHHHH...
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:32 AM   #6
Braham
Radeon R700

Braham is still being judged by the masses

Well, I listened, and while I actually dont think its a question he should answer directly under normal circumstances, I think he should this time just to get it off his back, if it really has taped out.

but the impression i got was that he just didnt want to answer, since he tried to redirect focus off to the actual product becoming available, and not to worry about tapeouts. I got the impression that the gpu data is at the foundry, but chips are not coming back yet, at least in enough quantity to make it official.

you have to remember that working chips may be coming back, just not at a rate that any company would say is good enough for production.

but one thing is certain, NVidia is have some sort of trouble, and you can tell they've been looking into other foundries.

--Braham

<edit>
to clear things up a bit, things are obviously still in the development stage, and they just arent ready to let the public know mutch yet.
</edit>

Last edited by Braham : Aug 16, 2002 at 10:36 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:37 AM   #7
ChrisW
Radeon Evergreen

If you turn the volume up real loud, you will notice he said "We have a couple of test chips". That doesn't sound too promising to me.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:42 AM   #8
The Mighty Whitey
Hi

The Mighty Whitey is still being judged by the masses

AnandTech NV30 preview from a couple days ago said numerous times the chip had recently taped out. I've heard no reports otherwise, so I tend to beleive him.

Then again, I don't really give a damn if it has or it hasn't. I getting a 9700 as my next card either way.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:42 AM   #9
woolfee
Radeon R520

woolfee is still being judged by the masses

So Anand was fed misinformation? The plot thickens...
256mb Corsair PC2100 DDR
Soundblaster Audigy
IBM Deskstar 60 GXP (40 gig)
Liteon 16xDVD
Antec Midtower (2 case fans)
Hitachi 751 Superscan Elite 19" Monitor
this sig was automatically shortened to meet the 10-lines max rule
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:54 AM   #10
Doomtrooper
Radeon Arctic Islands

Doomtrooper is still being judged by the masses

Anandtech is told whatever they want guys, we are talking about a Review website not investors. Anand will talk to PR folks and they will tell him whatever he wants to hear..

Q: Will it be faster than a 9700 ??

A: Based on our models since we don't have working silicon we can confidently state that Nv30 will be faster than a 9700.

Honestly I think even @ .13 micron the Nv30 might not be as fast, the R300 has been on the blocks a long time..so long they had time to do the layout similar to a CPU and hand tune it.
Nvidia doesn't have the luxury, they are rushing and I would be surprised if the Nv30 releases any higher than 300mhz on a process that is delivering 15% yields on low tech chips and we are talking 120 million transistor part here (more than the upcoming CPU fabs from AMD and Intel)...not to mention the cost of the R&D here.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:59 AM   #11
Someotherdude
Radeon Evergreen

Someotherdude is still being judged by the masses

If they lie to Anand, it's just a "misunderstanding," but if they lie to investors, they go to jail.

But stating that they expect Nv30 to be a Christmas product, they can mean Christmas of any following year.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 11:12 AM   #12
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

The call took place on the 15th, it is stated early on in the call.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 11:12 AM   #13
Hellbinder
Nothing but the Truth

well..

I think i am finished at Beyond3d... I posted this information and pointed out that a *coupple* sites had just mislead everyone again....But it got locked two seconds after I posted.. I wonder if im banned.. I am afraid to check

I just dont see why you cant point out how totally dishonest they are. To have Anand and voodooextreme post those Nv30 Vs R300 comparrisons only 5 days before the official reviews go live, and 2 days before Ati's big party at quake con..

What makes me really sick is that guys like Ed will post 3 articles about ATi.. but Thinks this total whoring of Nvidia and its non exsistant chip is toitally legit????

This is why I get totally pissed when people at this site, tell people like me to calm down, that its no big deal.. that I am out of line.. whatever... Try standing for whats right once in a while, and calling the kettle black.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 11:17 AM   #14
jjjayb
Rage3D Veteran

jjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

You would believe Anand over the Ceo himself talking to the investors? That's the funniest thing I've heard all week.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 11:28 AM   #15
LLB
Radeon R420

LLB is still being judged by the masses

Listening to the conference call, he clearly states that test chips exist. That means that if one defines "taping out" as sending the data to the fab, it has been done. You could not have test chips if it had not.
He may seem to be dodging the question, but it's ludicrous to think that he would flat out lie and state that silicon exists if it didn't.

LLB
Old Aug 16, 2002, 11:30 AM   #16
Hellbinder
Nothing but the Truth

you are right.... so at least something.. exsists....
Old Aug 16, 2002, 11:31 AM   #17
Doomtrooper
Radeon Arctic Islands

No taped out is mentioned later where they state R&D costs will be significant in Q3 due to the number of tapeouts...
Working silicon that is full of bugs doesn't mean final tapeout and from the a earlier conference call in early summer they stated they have gone through a record number back then...final tapeout would be the key here.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 11:33 AM   #18
alexsok
Radeon R300

alexsok is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
you are right.... so at least something.. exsists....
Believe it or not, the final tape out has occured, and if not, will occur by the end of this month!

They will make it to the XS as they say they will!
Old Aug 16, 2002, 11:35 AM   #19
Hellbinder
Nothing but the Truth

based on what... just becuase you want it to be that way???

If that were the case the CEO would have been much more non evasive about the subject.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 11:36 AM   #20
lovswr
Radeon R520

lovswr is still being judged by the masses

Talking

Ok I posted this in the wrong thread before so here it is in the right place now

Ok got my answer, from the conference call, 15 aug at 1700 EST at nvidia's website at the 21:45 minute mark. The CEO was asked directly has the NV30 been taped out yet. He gave a classic "non-answer" answer. In other words, NO, THE NV30 HAS NOT TAPED OUT YET!

Here is small transcript of the pertinent part:

FORUM MODERATOR: First question is from Mr. Tim Mahone

NVDIA CEO: Go ahead Tim

FORUM MODERATOR: Mr Mahone, Your line is now open

TIM MAHONE: ......question for you on the NV30, uh ah..has it taped out yet? And a... if so when did it?

NVDIA CEO: Uhmm, I think the most important thing for you to focus on....is when is NV30 going to be on the market, & we are very uh uh.. very confident that will be in time for the Xmas season & the most important thing that we ....blah, blah blah

The long & short of it is, the MAN was asked directly if the part was in a physical form on a analyst teleconference call. The CFO of nvdia said at the begininng of said call that they would be providing forward guidance according to SEC rules. Also (I did not know this) she said they did not have to meet the AUG 14 CEO certification date until Sept 11 because the nvdia fiscal year ends in Jan. In other words & especially in light of the recent financial troubles I think the NVDIA CEO is telling the truth when asked direct questions. Furthermore he was asked by other analysts about the NV30 & he continued to dance (he is very skilled at that & quit a cocky bastard to boot!) with an aplomb that would do Fred Astaire proud. I say again. NV30 has not taped out as of the time of the conference call, but they fully expect to pull it out of their asses between now & Xmas!
XP Pro SP2
Vantec TMD Aeroflow
Infineon CAS 3 3400 2X256
Maxtor 4D040H2
WDC WD1600JB-00FUA0
Radeon 9800 Pro Catalyst 4.8
nVidia MCP2 onboard audio
Acer 50X CD
Lite-On 52X/32X/52X CD-RW
Lite-On 8X/4X/12X/40X/24X/40X DVD-RW/CD-RW
Old Aug 16, 2002, 11:38 AM   #21
Philibob
Radeon R420

Philibob is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
How far into the conference is this?
Old Aug 16, 2002, 11:53 AM   #22
Hellbinder
Nothing but the Truth

Now i am convinced that the guy is smoking crack.. Maybe Nvidias CEO is a moron...????

Ut 2003 is only a few weeks away.. like September 30th.. for Retail.... Half-life 2 has not even been talked about anywhere yet... and Doom III is a half a year away... Unless they are suddenly trying to move the release to before Chrismas this year....
Old Aug 16, 2002, 11:57 AM   #23
Doomtrooper
Radeon Arctic Islands

He mentions Unreal II not Unreal Tournament II and if these game developers are waiting to launch only for NV30..we have a problem here folks.
One of the investors even mentions rumours of DOOM 3 shipping for Xmas..of course only rumours.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 11:58 AM   #24
AndyPski
ATI Guru

AndyPski is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by LLB
Listening to the conference call, he clearly states that test chips exist. That means that if one defines "taping out" as sending the data to the fab, it has been done. You could not have test chips if it had not.
He may seem to be dodging the question, but it's ludicrous to think that he would flat out lie and state that silicon exists if it didn't.

LLB
A test chip is not necessarily an NV30 - it is common practice to tape out a chip of some description to test the process and the tools, which may well be what is being referred to here since at the same time they are stating that NV30 has not taped out.

- Andy.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 12:00 PM   #25
Philibob
Radeon R420

Philibob is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Philibob

How far into the conference is this?
I'll answer it myself as I've just finished listening to it. Just after 45mins.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 12:01 PM   #26
ChrisW
Radeon Evergreen

I know it was mentioned at least twice in the speech but I'm not going to listen to it again to find out where. He said he didn't know when these games would be released but he said "the sooner the better". Also, it was not implied that these games would be released at the same time as the NV30 but these games would be announced for released simultaneously.

Last edited by ChrisW : Aug 16, 2002 at 12:13 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 12:08 PM   #27
alexsok
Radeon R300

alexsok is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
based on what... just becuase you want it to be that way???

If that were the case the CEO would have been much more non evasive about the subject.
Based on things I'm not allowed to talk about, but that surely won't satisfy u....
Old Aug 16, 2002, 12:12 PM   #28
ChrisW
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
Originally posted by alexsok
Believe it or not, the final tape out has occured, and if not, will occur by the end of this month!
Well, which is it?
Old Aug 16, 2002, 12:13 PM   #29
GoldenTiger
Banned

GoldenTiger is still being judged by the masses

ANANDTECH had an NV30 article saying it HAS TAPED OUT NOW. Don't spread 4-week-old conference calls that are NOW NOT TRUE. Stupid fanATIc...
Old Aug 16, 2002, 12:27 PM   #30
The Mighty Whitey
Hi

The Mighty Whitey is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenTiger
ANANDTECH had an NV30 article saying it HAS TAPED OUT NOW. Don't spread 4-week-old conference calls that are NOW NOT TRUE. Stupid fanATIc...
THE CONFERENCE CALL WAS FROM YESTERDAY!

nVidia officaly stated its earnings, after market hours