Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jan 30, 2019, 05:30 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Default Robocalling and number spoofing

Will it ever end? <sigh>
Old Jan 30, 2019, 05:55 PM   #2
Bitey
Radeon Northern Islands

Bitey is still being judged by the masses

Not while telcos still profit from scammers.
Bitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2019, 06:33 PM   #3
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

The most common spoof though is same phone number except the last 4 digits. So I put a tasker rule on my phone to drop any phone number matching mine with a wildcard for the last 4 digits. I have another rule that sends any number that is not on my contact list straight to voicemail.

T-mobile has actually gotten better at detecting spam and spoof calls. About 80% of the spam I get now easily identified as they inject something like "scam likely" as the caller ID. I made another tasker rule with caller ID string matching so those get dropped as well.

Lastly, I play the disconnected number tones at the beginning of my voicemail message. This causes the majority of spam to drop the call and keep my voicemail clean. So now pretty much all I get is rare second or two long voicemail with nothing on it.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 30, 2019, 08:33 PM   #4
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I just instantly hangup on any number i dont recognize.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2019, 09:27 AM   #5
Hardwood
Radeon Evergreen

Hardwood is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post

Lastly, I play the disconnected number tones at the beginning of my voicemail message.
What?? Please enlighten me.

OTOH, I found the best cure for nuisance phone calls is to change my phone number. I changed from Telus (mobile) and Shaw (land line) to Koodo for both and haven't had one nuisance call in the last 4 or 5 months. YEAH!
Come to think of it, nobody calls me. YEAH x2
<---Computer #1 in System Specs Button

Computer #2) MSI A88X-G45, AMD A10-7850K, IGP, AMD 2x4GB 2133 Ram (R938G2130U1K), Antec 750w True, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB WD Black, Win 10pro x64
Computer#3) GA-MA790FX, AMD 955, Thermaltake 550w, ASUS HD5870, Win10pro x86
Hardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:44 AM   #6
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Call screening on the pixel 3 has helped me a ton.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:37 AM   #7
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwood View Post
What?? Please enlighten me.
When you record your "leave a message at the tone" or whatever voice mail greeting, record just the disconnection dtmf tones at the very beginning, and then record your regular intended message. Just about all automated and robo calling software detect these tones. It drops the call and marks your number as disconnected. These automated call services have a limited amount of ports/lines they can use at a time to dial out to a victim, so keeping lines available by dropping bad numbers is a priority.

DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2019, 08:30 AM   #8
Hardwood
Radeon Evergreen

Hardwood is still being judged by the masses

Wow, great! Thanks!
<---Computer #1 in System Specs Button

Computer #2) MSI A88X-G45, AMD A10-7850K, IGP, AMD 2x4GB 2133 Ram (R938G2130U1K), Antec 750w True, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB WD Black, Win 10pro x64
Computer#3) GA-MA790FX, AMD 955, Thermaltake 550w, ASUS HD5870, Win10pro x86
Hardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:56 AM   #9
Athena
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I had this when it was free and now that it is 99 cents a month I support them just to get back at the scum that bother me at all hours of the day.

https://jollyrogertelephone.com
Old Feb 5, 2019, 09:33 AM   #10
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Outbound caller ID is set by the originating phone system, so no. It should be as simple as the carrier blocking calls where your outbound caller ID number is one not associated with your account.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2019, 01:26 AM   #11
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled with

It was getting really bad for a while, was getting 3-5 a day for a couple months last summer. It's calmed down since then. When it started becoming a daily thing and I just happen to be in front of the computer, I would stick my phone in front of the speaker and play this for them, very loudly.

I got sick of doing that everyday, so I installed an app "Calls Blocker" from XDA and it's blocked pretty much all spam calls, and what does manage to get through Google Fi handles the rest by marking them as spam.
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote