Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:16 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
borat
Radeon R700

borat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Nintendo 3DS 2017

The forum search can't seem to process the term '3DS' so I went back and found old threads manually. I thought having 1 large thread might work better maybe?

I have some old questions but I'd mostly like to focus on current 3DS news, including sales, hence the title.

First old question: I read in a thread here that a particular game won't run better than 30 fps unless it was run on a NEW 3ds with the 3D disabled. Is this common at all? I have the old 3ds and I don't mind it's obvious drawbacks, but if there are games that can be played on both, but run better on the NEW 3ds, that would annoy me. The NEW 3ds too too expensive for me still...
borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:48 PM   #2
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Yes there are games that run better or look better, there are even games that can only do 3d on the new 3ds.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:48 AM   #3
borat
Radeon R700

borat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They can have their own games, but I don't care for that at all! Except for the 3d part. I leave 3d off anyway...
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:50 AM   #4
borat
Radeon R700

Are any of the Kirby games any good? Frankly, I'm surprised this franchise is still around. I haven't played one since the first Kirby on Gameboy...
Old Mar 16, 2017, 06:48 PM   #5
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat View Post
Are any of the Kirby games any good? Frankly, I'm surprised this franchise is still around. I haven't played one since the first Kirby on Gameboy...
I'm in the same boat. The only Kirby game that I've played is dreamland for the gameboy. I did love the crap out of that game.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:56 AM   #6
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

They are good games, if you like Kirby definitly worth a pickup.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2017, 04:18 PM   #7
TenFour
Radeon Northern Islands

TenFour is still being judged by the masses

If you plan to use 3D, I would save up and get the New 3DS. I like using 3D, and I specifically sold some games so I could sell my 3DS and buy a New 3DS, and I am happy with my decision. The eye-tracking 3D is very much worth it.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2017, 05:04 PM   #8
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
If you plan to use 3D, I would save up and get the New 3DS. I like using 3D, and I specifically sold some games so I could sell my 3DS and buy a New 3DS, and I am happy with my decision. The eye-tracking 3D is very much worth it.
How much does it help with the crosstalk?

Last edited by BababooeyHTJ : Mar 17, 2017 at 05:24 PM.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2017, 08:10 PM   #9
borat
Radeon R700

Quote:
I definitely plan on getting one eventually, but I wanna try it first. Haven't gotten around to going to a store yet... On most games I keep it off, but it was really good with Mario 3D Land.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:08 PM   #10
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Same here and for Amiibo support. I love the 3D effect and the new 3DS is almost near perfect. I am actually replaying some older 3DS titles like 3D Mario Land as its so much better with working 3D.

EDIT: Monster hunters is also pretty neat on New 3DS especially with the nub support. Though, using the "nub" is well not that pleasant.

MSI Z87M Gaming|Intel i7 4770k |16GB DDR3 PC3 12800|XFX RX470 4GB | 6TB HDD |Windows 10 Pro
Laptop
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Windows 10 Pro
VR
HPWMR / PSVR
Consoles
Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBONEX|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.

Last edited by jimmt : Mar 17, 2017 at 11:15 PM.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2017, 02:46 AM   #11
borat
Radeon R700

I don't know what to think about Mario Sports Superstars...

I like the Mario Golf World Tour demo, and I've liked simple tennis and baseball games in the past...but I don't know anyone else with a 3DS so if the single player isn't very good, it's a wash for me.

Also, horse racing?!?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 09:34 AM   #12
borat
Radeon R700

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yikes that Mario Sports game got destroyed by the critics...(avg rating about 55%) I guess I'll get Mario Golf World Tour after all...

Speaking of which, do Nintendo franchise games ever go on sale? I don't believe I've ever seen one discounted...

Also, why the heck can't you get DS games through the eshop?? Seems like an easy way for Nintendo to make some $$$$....
Old May 10, 2017, 06:15 AM   #13
borat
Radeon R700

Oops, I think what I meant was why can't I buy pre DSi titles on the eshop?!? They could have made that happen!

Also, another new Fire Emblem? I still haven't begun this series. I think I'm gonna get the remake of Shadow Dragon on DS and start there unless there's a better place to start? (Yet another DS game I'm gonna have to get on ebay cause the eshop is garbage for DS!)
Old May 11, 2017, 08:41 AM   #14
TenFour
Radeon Northern Islands

TenFour is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat View Post
Oops, I think what I meant was why can't I buy pre DSi titles on the eshop?!? They could have made that happen!

Also, another new Fire Emblem? I still haven't begun this series. I think I'm gonna get the remake of Shadow Dragon on DS and start there unless there's a better place to start? (Yet another DS game I'm gonna have to get on ebay cause the eshop is garbage for DS!)
I didn't start playing Fire Emblem until last year with Awakening. I think I put about 50 hours in. I wanted to complete everything, and even bought some DLC, but a lot of the extra stuff requires a ton of grinding to be able to beat.

Then I saw the sequel was actually a simultaneously-released trilogy and decided I'm just done with the series. It's fun, but the games are overlong to the point of becoming tedious towards the end.

So I would recommend starting with one of the more recent ones. If I had started with a DS one, that would have been the only one I played, instead of one with better graphics and more interesting gameplay. They mostly all take place in completely different eras, so it's not like you won't get the story if you jump in on a later title. Sort of like the Zelda games--supposed to be the same world, but only very loosely connected in terms of story.

I can't believe there's already a new one out now when they just released three of them a year ago.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017, 08:52 PM   #15
borat
Radeon R700

Quote:
They mostly all take place in completely different eras, so it's not like you won't get the story if you jump in on a later title. Sort of like the Zelda games--supposed to be the same world, but only very loosely connected in terms of story.
That's really good to know actually!

I might still buy Shadow Dragon on DS first, cause it's just gonna get more expensive the longer I wait, but I might play one of the current ones first if there's a sale.....not sure yet.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 02:25 PM   #16
hazindu
I put the zin in Hadu!!!

hazindu is still being judged by the masses

I rarely used my 3ds or payed attention to the platform because I despised the hardware so bad. I have an original. Last year, my 3ds, ds, gameboy game collection turned up during a move, so I'd been thinking about getting a new 3ds xl, and a few weeks ago I finally got a new 2ds xl. It's much better than the old layer cake block thing.

Anyway, I'm playing through DQ8 right now. I enjoyed this game on PS2 back in the day, but my ps2 didn't last long, and I never got a PS3. I intended to get one, but backwards compatibility got dropped and I lost interest. Anyway, I ordered DQ7, Bravely Second, and Mario Maker on Greyish Blue Friday, so my new toy will get some use.

Also, I've heard there are apps that let you do video capture with a pc through a USB charging cable. Has anyone tried one of these?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 04:05 PM   #17
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazindu View Post
I rarely used my 3ds or payed attention to the platform because I despised the hardware so bad. I have an original. Last year, my 3ds, ds, gameboy game collection turned up during a move, so I'd been thinking about getting a new 3ds xl, and a few weeks ago I finally got a new 2ds xl. It's much better than the old layer cake block thing.

Anyway, I'm playing through DQ8 right now. I enjoyed this game on PS2 back in the day, but my ps2 didn't last long, and I never got a PS3. I intended to get one, but backwards compatibility got dropped and I lost interest. Anyway, I ordered DQ7, Bravely Second, and Mario Maker on Greyish Blue Friday, so my new toy will get some use.

Also, I've heard there are apps that let you do video capture with a pc through a USB charging cable. Has anyone tried one of these?
Video capture requires you to softmod your console, you can brick it if **** goes south but that's rare, one specific CFW will let you stream to your pc, video only so you need an aux cable to stream the audio, not sure if I can post the name of it but you can easily find it on google with the search "3ds streaming without capture card"
Old Nov 29, 2017, 06:28 AM   #18
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I like the 3D too and the New 3DS is worth it. I agree the eye tracking is MUCH improved. To me the 3D gives it more depth and actually improves graphics (AA for example when it's on). If you don't like the 3D then get the new 2Ds. It's very much a new 3Ds without the 3D and the aesthetics is quite nice. My wife and 7yr old has one. Up until the switch became a household item the DS's were the most played items in the house. All 5 of us have one (3 3Ds's and 2 2Ds's)

The games I am playing pretty heavy right now is the new Metroid, Donkey Kong country Returns 3Ds, and Yoshi Wooly World. VERY Good games in my opinion.
MSI Z87M Gaming|Intel i7 4770k |16GB DDR3 PC3 12800|XFX RX470 4GB | 6TB HDD |Windows 10 Pro
Laptop
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Windows 10 Pro
VR
HPWMR / PSVR
Consoles
Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBONEX|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2017, 09:49 PM   #19
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

I was skeptical at first, then Return of Samus was released and I nabbed a Samus edition New 3ds XL. It's amazing with the 3d on and I've noticed some improvements in game play in other titles over the 2ds.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2017, 07:15 PM   #20
borat
Radeon R700

There's an eshop sale right now and it's the first time I noticed Nintendo franchises discounted (without having to pay gold coins...) Sadly there isn't a whole lot but it's still pretty unique. Got Dr. Mario Miracle Cure for $6 or something.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 04:02 AM   #21
borat
Radeon R700

Which 3ds games play well on the old 3ds, that can be found pretty easily at Gamestop or similar stores?

Even though I'm old, my family still insists on getting me xmas presents and 3ds games are really the only convenient thing for them to get me.

I'm interested in the new Metroid remake, but if the 3d is really important maybe I'll wait until I upgrade. I've already played Donkey King Reruns on the Wii and Yoshi Woolly World has a better framerate on the new one so I'm definitely gonna wait until I upgrade.

I already have Mario kart, Super Smash Bros and New SMB 2...
Old Jan 9, 2018, 02:03 PM   #22
hazindu
I put the zin in Hadu!!!

I finally got Super Mario Maker 3d. I almost bought a Wii U for this game several years ago, but thankfully it came out on 3ds. Unfortunately, none of my close friends have the game, as it would probably be a lot of fun to make each other levels. You are probably assuming that I just make a bunch of troll levels, but I've actually never: made an autoscroller, used hidden blocks, or made a swimming level. Also, I have to play test my own levels so the difficulty can only be as hard as I can handle.

I finished DQ8 mid December. It had been so long since I played it on PS2 that it was actually a pretty fresh experience.

I started DQ7, but couldn't really get into it. I think I've just heard\read too much about it over the last 20 years. If I had gone into it blind, I probably would have gotten more out of it. They advertised the game as "long" and "slow". Imagine if the UFC booked Clay Guida vs Danny Castio with the tag line "Do you like split decisions? Neither of these guys is likely to finish!" Sure, lots of great fights go to decision, but I don't want to watch one knowing it's going to from the start. What was I talking about.. Oh yeah, couldn't get into DQ7.

Currently playing Bravely Second. I love the saving turns through defending mechanic from Bravely Default, and I love having to look at available job skills to figure out how to deal with the bosses, but I just despise the characters and story. It looks like they took the blandest goody two shoes and then tried to add 'tude' and 'sass' afterworlds. The result is a jumbled mess of extra wordy frivolous fluff with very little relevant information getting across. I recommend skipping all text (x, a), turning off random encounters and just playing it boss rush style. The first game looked like it was scraping the bottom of the desperation barrel for job ideas, so it's no surprise that the second one contains middle age cat lady, and cake maker who ONLY does gay weddings as combat relevant jobs.

I heard rumors that Atlus is remaking Radiant Historia? Also, what does everyone think of the Metroid 2 game?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 07:34 AM   #23
borat
Radeon R700

Since getting the 3DS I've acquainted myself with Japanese franchises much more, and hazindu, just about everything you mentioned is something I'm now vaguely aware of.....

Speaking of which, I got my first Fire Emblem game, FE Echoes Shadows of Valentia. It's a remake of the 2nd ever FE game, from the NES, so I figure it's as good a place as any to start. As expected, it's a lot of grinding, but part of that is because I'm playing on Hardcore and Classic modes...

Damn, that'd be neat to play Mario levels made by someone I knew! Might even buy the game just for that!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 05:24 PM   #24
borat
Radeon R700

Are those Wario Ware games no good for single player? It's the only new game since Metroid I've had any interest in....
Old Aug 24, 2018, 01:34 PM   #25
hazindu
I put the zin in Hadu!!!

Perfect Chronology is turning out to be one of the most satisfying RPG experiences I've had in a long time. I had the original Radiant Historia on DS, but I didn't get very far into it and it's been so long I don't remember why. Apparently, they fixed whatever I didn't like though.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:05 PM   #26
borat
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazindu View Post
It's much better than the old layer cake block thing.
You mean the folding aspect?