Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 20, 2018, 07:08 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default How do I block these carrier flash(?) messages?

Everyone once in a while, my carrier will send these flash messages to my iPhone. When the message is received, there no alert sound nor any vibration. The screen stays on until I tap on Cancel or Accept. If my phone is in my pocket, I have no way of knowing if I have received these messages and it can be quite easy to accidentally tap on Accept while taking out the phone from my pocket. If I tap on Accept, it will immediately deduct the amount for the advertised "deal" in the message. I think their main idea behind this is to get people to accidentally tap on Accept unknowingly. How do I stop this cheap scam-like tactic?

Some examples:

Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100 with 2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850 rpm fans | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:58 AM   #2
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I've never seen anything like that. I do get offers, but they come via text msg only. Is there no way to opt out?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:21 AM   #3
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Typically, you cannot unless you root your phone or switch carriers.
Mahjik is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 22, 2018, 03:30 PM   #4
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Have you tried calling your carrier?
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2018, 04:49 PM   #5
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Have you tried calling your carrier?
That, or if you may have a box under your account settings that you have checked that tells them it is okay for them to send you special offers etc.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2018, 07:04 AM   #6
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Never heard of this before. Who's your carrier? Is this a cheap plan that is subsidized by in-your-face ads? If so you might not be able to disable them. As said above, call your carrier.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:23 AM   #7
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Didnt even know iPhones could get a push message like that Carrier looks sleazy as hell.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:28 AM   #8
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I had a quick google and it seems the US doesnt allow ads like this.

A solution that may work is dialing *121*46#. It turns those ads off for certain countries.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:50 AM   #9
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, this is a cheap plan. It's a pre-paid plan with no data. I just use Wi-Fi for data/Internet.

The carrier is Etisalat. I'll try to contact them about it.

I tried dialing *121*46# but it said "Invalid Service".

Lastly, why would Apple even allow such a thing on iOS?
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100 with 2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850 rpm fans | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:23 PM   #10
Athena
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I think you answered your own question with "Yes, this is a cheap plan"
Apple is not controlling you to put the phone on the cheap plan. Would you rather they block your cheap plan? Or are you hoping they would allow you the cheap plan but block the the Carrier the ad money they need to pay for the plan you have by blocking the popups?
I would suggest a different, maybe not so cheap plan, with out the popups.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 06:06 AM   #11
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I think you answered your own question with "Yes, this is a cheap plan"
Apple is not controlling you to put the phone on the cheap plan. Would you rather they block your cheap plan? Or are you hoping they would allow you the cheap plan but block the the Carrier the ad money they need to pay for the plan you have by blocking the popups?
I would suggest a different, maybe not so cheap plan, with out the popups.
These are the carrier's own deals that the carrier itself is forcing in my face. They don't get any ad money for these ads (unless they like paying themselves for these ads). Who says iPhones only deserve high-end plans?

Also, my question was not answered. Why would Apple even allow these kind of ads/pop-ups on iOS? Unless these types of messages are meant for something else and the carrier is abusing the system.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 08:58 AM   #12
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Also, my question was not answered. Why would Apple even allow these kind of ads/pop-ups on iOS? Unless these types of messages are meant for something else and the carrier is abusing the system.
Look at it another way, why would Apple block anything that wasn't a security concern? All that would do is alienate carriers from using their devices which they aren't going to do.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 02:42 PM   #13
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Look at it another way, why would Apple block anything that wasn't a security concern? All that would do is alienate carriers from using their devices which they aren't going to do.
I don't want to start an argument but I can already think of a few things that Apple "blocks" that are not likely to be security issues/concerns. For example, iOS only supports MP4 video files and you can only transfer media onto iOS devices through iTunes.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 03:44 PM   #14
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
For example, iOS only supports MP4 video files and you can only transfer media onto iOS devices through iTunes.
That's a user limitation, not a carrier limitation.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 07:09 AM   #15
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I get this crap as well and don’t know wtf to do. If you do find a solution let me know what up.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2018, 09:41 AM   #16
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I get this crap as well and don’t know wtf to do. If you do find a solution let me know what up.
Why don't you ask this at http://xda-developers.com/ ?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2018, 09:14 AM   #17
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled with

I'd be pissed as well if someone tried selling me 192kbs wtf