Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Jun 4, 2002, 04:06 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ekin
Radeon R200

ekin is still being judged by the masses

Default Slow loading in SOF2???

anyone here have problems with each level taking forever to load??? for some reason, everytime it goes to a new level it takes about 3-4min for the bullet to fill all the way and finally load. After it loads though, the game itself runs smoothly with no problem. Cant figure out why it takes so long. Heres my system spec

WinXP Pro
Dual P3 1ghz
512mb @ cas2
ATI Radeon 8500 (6071 w/ opengl patch)
SB Live Value

.. the thing is, my friend who's on a different system (athlon 1.2/512mb, win98, Radeon 64DDR VIVO), it doesnt take nowhere near as long as mine does to load a level. it loads pretty quick but gameplay wise isnt as smooth as it is on mines though. Any idea why it takes so long to load???
Old Jun 4, 2002, 06:42 PM   #2
Ole
Radeon R300

Ole is still being judged by the masses

...same here...
And everywhere else I had a look it wasn`t different.
Great game....
Old Jun 4, 2002, 06:48 PM   #3
RVachon
Radeon R300

RVachon is still being judged by the masses

It's a WinXP thing I think...I get the same thing in NASCAR 2002. Entering the track seems a bit slower on XP than it does in Win98.

Ray
AMD XP2500+ Barton o/c to XP3200+ specs (11x200) | Abit NF7-S V2.0 | 1 GB Corsair DDR PC3200 | WD 200 GB SATA 8 MB Buffer| Hercules Game Theatre XP Sound | Radeon 9800 Pro w/ Silencer 3 | Dell 19" Trinitron | WinXP Pro SP2 |
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 5, 2002, 02:54 AM   #4
GotoDengo

GotoDengo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by RVachon
It's a WinXP thing I think...I get the same thing in NASCAR 2002. Entering the track seems a bit slower on XP than it does in Win98.

Ray
It's not a WinXP thing. I have the same problem running SOF2 w/ my Radeon 8500. I did not have this problem a week ago with my old GF2. It's this, combined w/ the awful performance in GTA3 (starts fine, quickly drops to 15-20 fps, much lower than my GF2 ever dropped) that has me wondering if I've made a mistake.

I'm awfully tempted at this point to wash my hands of ATI altogether, as this experience has not been a good one.

Goto Dengo
Old Jun 5, 2002, 04:02 AM   #5
ReneSDK
Radeon R300

ReneSDK is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation

Well if you haven't notized this game is made by Raven Software who also made Jedi Knight 2, one thing these 2 games have in common are insanely long loading times on R8500 cards....

This just goes to tell me that both games are very badly (loading time wise) optimized for Radeon 8500 cards and their drivers....
Club3D Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (Catalyst 4.9)
Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB
LG GSA-4040B DVD+/-RW
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX (USB 2.0)
Samsung SyncMaster 152S 15" monitor
Windows XP Pro SP2
DirectX 9.0c
Old Jun 5, 2002, 11:22 AM   #6
BlackBirdSR
Radeon R600

BlackBirdSR is still being judged by the masses

The new OpenGL Driver for SOF2 even increased loading times for those two games.

the bad boy is Texture Compression.

you have some way's to get around those long load times though.
First you can disable Open GL texture compression and prepare for some really slow gameplay.

second, you can lower Texture quality in game one step and decrease level load times significantly.
apparently the fast texture compression option that did help with JK2 and the old opengl driver does not seem to help anymore,, at least with SOF2.

if there's any other method to decrease level load times (solving the problem with texture compresseion) feel free to post here.

thx

Special thanks to all Catalyst Beta Testers as well.
Old Jun 5, 2002, 01:44 PM   #7
GotoDengo

GotoDengo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by ReneSDK
Well if you haven't notized this game is made by Raven Software who also made Jedi Knight 2, one thing these 2 games have in common are insanely long loading times on R8500 cards....

This just goes to tell me that both games are very badly (loading time wise) optimized for Radeon 8500 cards and their drivers....
Why is responsibility always laid at the feet of the game maker? GAME after GAME has trouble on the 8500--that tells me it's ATI's problem. One of these days they're going to get it right. But it hasn't happened yet.

GotoDengo
Old Jun 5, 2002, 04:22 PM   #8
Sanjuro Makabe

Sanjuro Makabe is still being judged by the masses

Smile Long Load Times Problem

Well this isn't really a fix but more like a way to avoid long load times, if you set the textures to "very high" then it'll take really really long to load a level. I had that problem in Win2k, now I am using WinXP just to find out if it's a Win2k thing, but it still happened. So I used a lower textures setting like "medium" or "high", it did make loading alot faster...ever since I installed the SOF2 opengl patch, the loading was a lil faster on medium or high, rite now I'm using high, loading of any level takes less than a minute...which is acceptible...hope this helps
Old Jun 6, 2002, 02:14 PM   #9
uni1313
Radeon R200

uni1313 is still being judged by the masses

Only use texture quality very high if you have a 128 mb videocard. I used to have the same long loading times with a Radeon 64 mb DDR VIVO when using very high. Wen i changed it to high loading times are less than a minute.

Uni1313
Belgium
Old Jun 6, 2002, 04:26 PM   #10
BennyBoy
Radeon R520

BennyBoy is still being judged by the masses

I to have the same problem

I have everything thing on max settings (no shadows) and it does take a while to load (system is siggy).

However once u are in game the graphics look mint and game play is very nice

Need to play the game a little more though, not even past the first level

How do u c your FPS in SOF 2 ?

Thanks