Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Oct 31, 2015, 01:00 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Just Picked up an OLED TV

Wow,
This thing looks amazing with everything. Still more expensive then I would like but I decided to go with a 1920x1080 55" OLED rather then a 4K LCD. Figured we are still a few years away from 4k gaming and I want to try out new tech rather then more resolution. Now using it as my main PC monitor. Since the tech is new dont know how its going to hold up or if it is going to have issues with burn-in/IR. But I can say the blacks are better then any LCD I have ever seen. With the blacks being so good the color pops off the screen. Games look great on it as well. If you want the 4k 55" its going to cost you $3k, not willing to pay that for a TV/Monitor in my case. I picked up the latest LG 55EG9100 with a credit card bonus of $250 for $1250.
Nascar24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2015, 01:11 PM   #2
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Sounds pretty sweet. I'm hoping my plasma will last long enough for 70"+ OLED TVs to be in a reasonable price range.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2015, 01:15 PM   #3
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 31, 2015, 01:43 PM   #4
Nascar24

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
Sounds pretty sweet. I'm hoping my plasma will last long enough for 70"+ OLED TVs to be in a reasonable price range.
Yea what I preferably would have liked to have is the 65" 4K OLED but that thing costs $5K at the moment. I'm sure in the next year or 2 they will come down to reasonable prices. It appears LG has a lock on the screens at the moment, I see Panasonic is using the LG OLED screen for one they are releasing soon, but that one is going to cost 7K or more for a 65"
Old Nov 1, 2015, 06:44 AM   #5
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

TV's tend to drop price fairly fast, so I'm gunna wait about 2-3 years before I buy one.

I currently have a 55" LG 1080P screen that for now is pretty damn good quality.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2015, 08:40 AM   #6
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
TV's tend to drop price fairly fast, so I'm gunna wait about 2-3 years before I buy one.

I currently have a 55" LG 1080P screen that for now is pretty damn good quality.
Same here. I have a Samsung 60" LED that once it's calibrated has a great picture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:58 AM   #7
DigitalDemon
Flaccid Flexor

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Quote:
I was eyeing the 65" 4K oled a couple months ago when it was $8k. The next week it dropped to $5k. In the next few years we should be able to to buy one at a reasonable price.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2015, 12:02 PM   #8
Nascar24

Quote:

Same thing here, Have an LG 55" 1080P that I cant say I was unhappy with, Just had a $250 credit burning a whole in a credit card so I bought it. Definitely cant match the blacks of this thing with an LCD, seems as if the TV is off when you have an all black screen. it was either a 4k LCD screen or an OLED 1080P screen, I opted for the OLED as everybody was raving about the picture quality. LG 55" went out to my front room and my old 47" JVC rear projection went into a bedroom, probably never to be used again.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 12:04 PM   #9
Nascar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
I was eyeing the 65" 4K oled a couple months ago when it was $8k. The next week it dropped to $5k. In the next few years we should be able to to buy one at a reasonable price.
Yea, I would suspect as well the price of these will be more reasonable in the next 2 years. I dont think the price I paid was bad even though it is only a 1080P screen, I dont think 4k was worth double at this time.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 09:55 AM   #10
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Next TV or monitor I buy in the next 3 or so years will hopefully be of a matured OLED technology. No early adopting here.

I am actually surprised prices are already that affordable. Good to see.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2015, 02:09 PM   #11
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

LG is the only manufacturer that's doing OLED. The Panasonic OLED runs has an LG panel too. Samsung dropped out of the game in favour of smaller devices.

I've been waiting for OLEDs to drop in price, fix preliminary issues (like rough gamma gradations), and gain the full 4K feature set (high framerate, DCI-p3 or better colour, and HDR). I guess I'll still be waiting a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2015, 06:34 PM   #12
Nascar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
LG is the only manufacturer that's doing OLED. The Panasonic OLED runs has an LG panel too. Samsung dropped out of the game in favour of smaller devices.

I've been waiting for OLEDs to drop in price, fix preliminary issues (like rough gamma gradations), and gain the full 4K feature set (high framerate, DCI-p3 or better colour, and HDR). I guess I'll still be waiting a while.

Yea 4k 55" OLED for 3k is far to much for me and the preferable 65" 4k for 5K is still way to much, and I'm noticing the 65" is having many strange issues as far as a yellow staining look on many panels, all the current 4K LG panels are HDR ready.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 02:39 PM   #13
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Next TV or monitor I buy in the next 3 or so years will hopefully be of a matured OLED technology. No early adopting here.

I am actually surprised prices are already that affordable. Good to see.
What I really want is an OLED monitor. Current LCD/LED tech still lags behind the image quality of a good CRT, especially in terms of black level. I hope the backlight on my monitor lasts another 2-3 years to get me through until then.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:45 AM   #14
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
What I really want is an OLED monitor. Current LCD/LED tech still lags behind the image quality of a good CRT, especially in terms of black level. I hope the backlight on my monitor lasts another 2-3 years to get me through until then.
I'm going to disagree with that. The colour and motion performance on a good LCD should outdo practically any CRT.
Quote:
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Old Nov 6, 2015, 08:16 PM   #15
FiggyG
Radeon Caribbean Islands

FiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
I'm going to disagree with that. The colour and motion performance on a good LCD should outdo practically any CRT.
Nope on all counts. LCD doesn't have geometry distortion issues. Way worse in response, color quality, contrast.
FiggyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2015, 07:03 AM   #16
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Contrast possibly, but response times depends on monitor, colour nah, not with good high end LCD's.

I've owned 24" iiyama high end CRT, they aren't that great, I think people wear rose tinted glasses.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2015, 08:49 PM   #17
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggyG View Post
Nope on all counts. LCD doesn't have geometry distortion issues. Way worse in response, color quality, contrast.
Unlikely. New LCDs hit roughly DCI-p3--some may be better. Hell, I'm using a native 8-bit panel, none of my CRTs even got close to this much colour fidelity. Either way, the IEEE disagreed with you even back in 2002.

As for motion, people confuse the refresh speed with the display's latency. Seeing as the lowest I've heard an LCD go on latency is about 30 ms, I'd imagine CRTs would be better. For the refresh speed, you can get 120 or 240 hz LCDs now--CRTs have to put up with ghosting as much as LCDs do due to their luminance layers.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Nov 14, 2015, 01:17 AM   #18
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Also important to remember that, much like LCD's, not all CRT tech was created equal. A good aperture grille CRT should out class, or match, TN, IPS and VA LCD's for viewing angle, refresh rate's, response time, input lag and contrast. LCD is always going to be sharper and has the potential for better color.

But there is a caveat. None of the LCD's can match a CRT on all fronts in one tech. They all make a compromise some where(Viewing angles, Contrast, Input Lag, Response times, colour etc etc). It's not so black and white.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:48 AM   #19
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Also important to remember that, much like LCD's, not all CRT tech was created equal. A good aperture grille CRT should out class, or match, TN, IPS and VA LCD's for viewing angle, refresh rate's, response time, input lag and contrast. LCD is always going to be sharper and has the potential for better color.
And quality also varied between Graphics cards. I recall a few of the cards having substandard VGA output.

Quote:
But there is a caveat. None of the LCD's can match a CRT on all fronts in one tech. They all make a compromise some where(Viewing angles, Contrast, Input Lag, Response times, colour etc etc).
I think response times were the only big one fore me and these days the LCD response times are a lot better than when I first switched. Even 10 years ago, the good LCD's could match the color and contrast of good CRT's, and lower quality CRT's were garbage. Input lag varied a lot between panels, but seems to be pretty good these days. Viewing angles have never been a problem for me, but I always look at my monitor strait on.

Personally, I was super happy to switch from CRT to LCD. My first panel was a Dell 2405 FPW. Though the response rate wasn't as good as the CRT it replaced, it blew the CRT away in every other respect.

Quote:
It's not so black and white.
It's grey to grey?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 01:34 PM   #20
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
I think response times were the only big one fore me and these days the LCD response times are a lot better than when I first switched. Even 10 years ago, the good LCD's could match the color and contrast of good CRT's, and lower quality CRT's were garbage. Input lag varied a lot between panels, but seems to be pretty good these days. Viewing angles have never been a problem for me, but I always look at my monitor strait on.
Better contrast.... sorta. VA's can get really dark, can even dip into Plasma territory, but they can't go as dark as Aperture Grill CRT's can. At least without local dimming(which is far from a perfect solution). They can however go way brighter.

Quote:
Personally, I was super happy to switch from CRT to LCD. My first panel was a Dell 2405 FPW. Though the response rate wasn't as good as the CRT it replaced, it blew the CRT away in every other respect.
Same display I jumped to. That thing was awesome.

Quote:
It's grey to grey?
Well played sir

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote