Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 22, 2006, 07:14 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
DrCR
Iwaki MD20Z

DrCR is still being judged by the masses

Headphones Gaming Headphone Recommendations? Music Must be Good too Though

Went to a lan party a few weeks ago. First time, and I had a blast. One thing though -- It seemed the guys with better headphones had an edge on me. I'm using a pair of Labtec Elite-820 Headphones I've used for years. Spent ~$10Max. They were actually a bit of an upgrade over my even cheaper pair lol.

One extra criteria: I'd like to get a set that excells in music, not just gaming. I listen to classical and acapella, so stupid artificial bass for the headthumpers esp. at the expense of the rest of the range won't impress me in the least, quite the contrary. (Yeah, I'm a classical weirdo. )

So, any suggestions on a good set of headphones? The sound card in use is Asus's A8N5x onboad Realtek ALC850.

Thanks,
DrCR

Old Jul 22, 2006, 07:19 AM   #2
vazel
Banned

vazel is still being judged by the masses

Can't go wrong with Sennheiser.
vazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 07:30 AM   #3
{WOR}lock
Vault Dweller

{WOR}lock is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazel
QFT
{WOR}lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 22, 2006, 07:31 AM   #4
Roxen
Drunk sexy prick

Roxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I'm loving my Icemat Siberias for pretty much anything, excellent for competitive gaming, and I'd say they do well in music/movies as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836508101
Old Jul 22, 2006, 07:37 AM   #5
Ghost_™
Exit 2006, Novi Sad

Ghost_™ is still being judged by the masses

You guys mind providing a link on some good sennheisers ?
Ghost_™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 07:44 AM   #6
{WOR}lock
Vault Dweller

{WOR}lock is still being judged by the masses

Any of these;
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...p?transid=cat4

Would be a nice set of headphones.

Last edited by {WOR}lock : Jul 22, 2006 at 09:07 AM.
{WOR}lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 07:54 AM   #7
DrCR
Iwaki MD20Z

I seriously looked at the Sennheiser HD600. I heard some solid ratings of them from classical audiophiles.

Can't go with an open design though. I'll also go ahead and set a price cap of $100AbsoluteMax.
DrCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 08:26 AM   #8
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

You don't need to go as high as the 600 series. Even the HD201 sounds pretty good. I'm not exactly an audiophile, but I appreciate quality sound (I hate bloated, over-emphasized bass that many think is "good" sound). I'll go out on a limb and say the 201s will most likely be much better than what you currently have. If you go more expensive, you'll probably find better Sennheisers. Just keep moving up the price ladder until you reach the pricepoint and design you're looking for.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 08:41 AM   #9
Shoey Peachew

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Audio-Technica ATH-A500

Sennheiser 555 and 595
Old Jul 22, 2006, 08:44 AM   #10
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

I have the Logitech Premium USB Headset 350 and I love them for both gaming and music. In fact, they stay connected to my PC 24/7 and I hardly use my pc speakers anymore. My wife has the non USB version she uses on her laptop.

EDIT (links)
Mine
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10013
wife
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10011

Jim
Asus TUF B450M-Plus Gaming |Ryzen R7 2700X |16GB DDRR DRAM 3000 |MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB | 6TB NVMe/HDD |Windows 10 Pro
Laptop
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Windows 10 Pro / OpenSuse
VR
HPWMR / PSVR
Consoles
Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBONEX|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.

Last edited by jimmt : Jul 22, 2006 at 08:46 AM.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 09:00 AM   #11
seeker010
chaotic evil

seeker010 is still being judged by the masses

are you an gamer first, or audophile first?
if you just want some decent cans hd-201, 202 and 212 are all decent enough. if you want some great cans hd555 is the minimum.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:20 AM   #12
Floruro
Mr.Ayahuasca

Floruro is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey Peachew
Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Audio-Technica ATH-A500

Sennheiser 555 and 595
Yupp. I have the DT770 pro 80 ohm. It needs an amp to shine though, regardless of impedance. And the burn in time imo at least 150 hours.
Just go here and search DrCR : http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/
Your questions have been done do death there.

For classical though maybe go sennheiser 555/595. An amp is also not necessary then.
Floruro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:29 AM   #13
GRimm862
Banned

GRimm862 is still being judged by the masses

Ive got some sick bose headphones i picked up from my buddy for free there like 150 dollar headphones... FOR FREE! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...303043?ie=UTF8
GRimm862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:49 AM   #14
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I have some 'gaming' Sennheisers and they are top notch for my uses
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:05 PM   #15
DrCR
Iwaki MD20Z

If I was willing to lay out the green, I would go for Beyerdynamic 770 or 990. But I've decided to hold at least near to my $100Max.

Thanks for the link Floruro. Off to peruse the site...

After checking out that site I'm now shying towards the A500s - but I found they stink at music. Looking to see how the K81DJs fair in gaming...

Thanks,
DrCR

Last edited by DrCR : Jul 22, 2006 at 12:37 PM.
DrCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:37 PM   #16
zenkmander
Person

zenkmander is still being judged by the masses

Yep, I have Sennheiser's HD595 'phones, and they are amazing. They're expensive, though, but you get the quality that you pay for, trust me!

- An excerpt from No Exit, a dialogue by Jean-Paul Sartre.

"I expect to pass through this life but once. If therefore there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being let me do it now and not defer or neglect it as I shall not pass this way again."

- William Penn
zenkmander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 01:07 PM   #17
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird sings

Etymotic Research http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.aspx ER-4's are great for gaming where you need to hear absolutely everything.

Footsteps are heard from miles away even while you are shooting a weapon, or artillery is going off around you. I've noticed that with these things I can hear helicopters constanly in Battlefield 2 - not just when they are near. I've actaully been able to distinguish between the sounds of the AH-1Z and the Mi-28 and I can tell where one is at almost all of the time.

For music they are pretty good as well, but there's other ones with more bass. If you are on a plane or in an area where you really need to drown out everything around you these are perfect.

A lot of people like noise cancelling headphones, but after a while your ears sweat and they mess up your hair. Also noise cancelling 'features' usually add a 'hum' to cancel out the noise and this in itself drowns out the quality of the music. With the ER-4s they are basically earplugs with speakers in them so no quality is lost.

If anyone does get themself a pair - please know that it will take some getting used to. For about two weeks of regular use they may be actually painful to wear - but once you are used to them you'll find you don't want to use any other headphone.

Commercial over.

Also the Radio Shack Pro35A's are kick ass (go on sale for $19.99 in September usually... normal price is $39.99) if you want to stay on a budget. They put out an extremely good sound quality and they have an inline volume adjust. I've sworn by these headphones all my life and I still do. For music in a normal environment these are by far the best out there. Everyone I've met that's tried them were amazed at how good they sound, and I swear they sound better than any Sennheiser or Bose headphone I've tried.
Crawdaddy79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 01:35 PM   #18
Vorpal
Radeon R700

Vorpal is still being judged by the masses

Unless you have good money, spending more then $170 on a pair of headphones is just wrong.

I looked into 6 months ago. For the best bang for you buck (and under $150) these headphones are the #1 hands down winner. I love my pair and expect to still be using them 10 years from now.

SENNHEISER HD555 / $125.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826106392
Vorpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 09:49 PM   #19
Cyssa101
I See You!

Cyssa101 is still being judged by the masses

I've got these...

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...ransid=newHD-1

Have had them for 2 years and they are still an awesome piece of equipment! Can't go wrong for the price either.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:09 PM   #20
grog
No longer on Rage3d

grog is still being judged by the masses

I have these.

SONY Studio Monitor MDR-V700DJ PlugStraight, Gold-plated, stereo UniMatch plug with fixed miniplug and detachable phone plug Connector Circumaural DJ Headphones - Retail

$93.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...C-pr1c3grabb3r

Input Impedance 24 [email protected] 1 kHz
Maximum Power Handling: 3,000mW

I heard the SENNHEISER sets and I heard the Sony set above and I picked the Sony. Thing is I wanted to drive my Creative Zen Nano as well as use them with my Computer system. The SENNHEISER sets I looked at were less efficient then the Sony set. The difference does not matter much on my Computer system but on my Creative Zen Nano the max volume level was just too low. The lower Input Impedance on the Sony is the difference.

I also personally found the Sony unit to sound better overall.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826106392
SENNHEISER HD555 3.5mm
Input Impedance 120 ohm
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:15 PM   #21
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCR
Went to a lan party a few weeks ago. First time, and I had a blast. One thing though -- It seemed the guys with better headphones had an edge on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:19 PM   #22
confusedsoul
Radeon Sea Islands

confusedsoul can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyconfusedsoul can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I use the Sennheiser PC-150's. I wanted a set with a mic for gaming, and these are not only affordable, but a very good set of phones that are cool (temperature) to wear, and get extremely loud without distorting through the whole spectrum! They go pretty low as well!
Old Jul 23, 2006, 03:50 AM   #23
Ulysses 31
Radeon Northern Islands

Ulysses 31 is still being judged by the masses

Intel Core i7 6950X @ 4.3Ghz \ 2x GTX 1080 8GB SLI \ 128 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3333 Mhz DDR4 \ Asus Rampage V Edition 10 \ ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q \ Asus Claymore \ SupremeFx \ Logitech Z-5500 5.1 \ 2x Samsung 1TB 2x Samsung 2TB \ In Win D-Frame 2 \ Corsair AX1200 Watt \ Windows 10 Pro x64
Ulysses 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:42 PM   #24
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazel
I must quote this man for truth. I bought 3 middle-end Sennheiser headphones. Killer moozak and gaming sound. About as good as can be from a headset.