Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Nov 18, 2004, 04:30 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
IdiotBoy
Gay Lakers

IdiotBoy is still being judged by the masses

Default This is screwy!!1!

Ok, can anyone explain what is happening here?

About 12 folks from my office, 2 from our sister company's office, and 2 friends of co-workers all are in a fantasy football league.

This league is run through a website where we can view scores and stats and pick up and drop and trade players and set our lineups for the week.

Well, starting on Tuesday, no one here was able to access the site. At first I though, "oh there's just something going on with the host, it'll be back by tomorrow at the latest."

Well, now it's Thursday afternoon, and still no one here can access the website to set their lineups.

Here's the bizarre part. The 4 outsiders, as well as my computer at home, can access the page with no problems at all!!1!

My office uses NO filters or software firewalls. Only a hardware firewall. The firewall's settings haven't been changed in forever....so it can't be that. Plus, it isn't set to ban access to anywhere, anyways.

The website host says that they are not blocking any IPs. But they have had some calls in the past couple days about it...and for some reason seem to think it has something to do with Norton A.V.

We use Symantec Enterprise here...and it's only for virus protection. NOT for internet security.

I can access the site from home, so I'm not worried. But some people in the office don't have computers at home and need to set up their lineup from here at work.

Soooooo...WTF is going on??!? Can anyone shed some light on this? Or at least maybe point me in a direction to look for the problem?

-the Gallbladderless Daddy-
IdiotBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 04:43 PM   #2
roofy
Chopper Dave

roofy is still being judged by the masses

first off, try doing the following,

1) check your /etc/hosts file in windows (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts, use wordpad to open)
and see if any domain names are set to wierd addresses
2) do a traceroute to www.sitename.com, see if it is able to resolve the name into an ip
3) if not, go home, ping the site, get the ip and try tracerouting the ip from the office
in my class, we were expected to learn how to use linux in an hour.
roofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 08:22 AM   #3
IdiotBoy
Gay Lakers

IdiotBoy is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofy
first off, try doing the following,

1) check your /etc/hosts file in windows (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts, use wordpad to open)
and see if any domain names are set to wierd addresses
2) do a traceroute to www.sitename.com, see if it is able to resolve the name into an ip
3) if not, go home, ping the site, get the ip and try tracerouting the ip from the office
1. already checked that...and there's none in there except for "127.0.0.1 home"

2. tracert just gets me about 13 steps out...same with tracert on the IP address

It's sounding to me like their DNS is ****ing up. Here's my tracert result:

EDIT: I didn't want to freely give away the address, because the site isn't very well protected. Anyone can change anyone else's rosters, lineup, etc. It's retarded, I know...I'm not the one that set it up....

-the Gallbladderless Daddy-
IdiotBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 19, 2004, 08:24 AM   #4
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Its possible they've changed hosts and your business isps DNS server hasnt caught up yet.
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:26 AM   #5
roofy
Chopper Dave

roofy is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyhed
Its possible they've changed hosts and your business isps DNS server hasnt caught up yet.
nah its mandatory that root servers update every 5 minutes as opposed to 24 hours as it was before...
in my class, we were expected to learn how to use linux in an hour.
roofy is offline   Reply With Quote