Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking Discuss Radeon tweaking, modding, and overclocking practices. Want to post your benchmarks scores? This is the place!

Old May 7, 2003, 02:20 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Quade2000
Radeon R300

Quade2000 is still being judged by the masses

Default Video all screwy PLEASE HELP !!

Everything has been fine till this morning. I Installed the new "MasmoBench" video/cpu benchmark util, I found this morning @ Warp2Search.net. Ran the benchmark, got a respectable 918 score. Rebooted and headed off for a Tribes2 session, that went on for about an hour and was fine until I exited the game. There were strange vertical lines on the taskbar and some artifacting on the icons. So far I have reduced my FSB back to 133 from 150. There never was an O/C on the videocard. Set all my voltages and DDR timings to LAME. (the letters are all screwy while typing this, really affects text) Removed Rage3Dtweak. Ran the DriverCleaner1.4 found @ DriverHeaven. And have now re-installed fresh un mod Catalyst3.2. Haven't done the controlpanel yet, as nothing has been solved yet. I then proceeded to take the card out, and noticed it was a little hotter then I'd like. So I pulled the HSF off and noticed the imprints left in the AS3 showed there was not full cntact, about 80% was contacting. So I proceeded to pull the shim off!! Sucker came off way way easier then I thought! And let me tell you, that shim was not on there even! I bet alot of others would say the same, after inspecting the glue directly under the shim. And I don't know what that compound was, but it was not the most solid substance to scrape off!! I also noticed what looked like some sort of sweat trailing along the minute groves in the HSF bottom and a little around the GPU core!! Where does that moist substance come from, the AS3?? Cleaned everything off till passed the magnifying glass inspection, then masked/insulated the areas around the core with clear tape. I put new ultra-thin coat of AS3 and put the HSF back on. Pulled off again to check the AS3 imprint, was 100%. I've just reached in and touched it, it's much cooler then before! So, here i am looking at some really choppy text, the rest of the browser window is fine. This web page is fine except for it's text and some white chop lines in the all the smilies icons. If I grab this window and shake it around, it moves in slow motion and it leaves vertical lines all over the desktop. There is a choppy grey box that appears now and then around the mouse pointer. I hope that's enough for someone to recognize the problem. Help.........
SAP Radeon 9500NP 128
SBLive Value
WD 80G - Maxtor 20G

If striked at, survival instinct says strike back..
Open your eyes, look around.
Mother Nature's throwing the punches now!

Last edited by Quade2000 : May 7, 2003 at 02:41 PM.
Old May 7, 2003, 03:46 PM   #2
Quade2000
Radeon R300

OK, with everything else still turned down, I turned off AGP FastWrites and now the artifacting, grey box around pointer, funky text, ect. are all gone. So I installed the control panel. Went in and looked, all is @ defaults. Now I still have the slow-mo effect. When dragging windows or scrolling web pages it's pathetic. Gonna load a game now and see what happens....Tribes 1 I guess...BRB
SAP Radeon 9500NP 128
SBLive Value
WD 80G - Maxtor 20G

Old May 7, 2003, 05:06 PM   #3
TiTaNiUm
Radeon R420

TiTaNiUm is still being judged by the masses

Doing All that work to your card is going to be helpful.. But if all was fine Before you loaded that Benchmark in..then Id have to say Its the benchmark Program Screwing up your system...If you Removed it ..and alls the same, then thats not it..,if you hav'nt removed it..i would....

Im heading over 2 warp to get that bench..im curious of your issue
wanna see what it does on my system...AND im gonna Beat yer score

Last edited by TiTaNiUm : May 7, 2003 at 05:18 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 7, 2003, 09:04 PM   #4
Quade2000
Radeon R300

Formatted the friggin computer! Fixed it right up good! All is going well now, just getting all my sh*t back in. I think my Windows had just been through too much with all my prior experimenting and the benchmark just threw it over the top. Anyone else try that MasmoBench thing? I'm not suggesting you do, just asking?
SAP Radeon 9500NP 128
SBLive Value
WD 80G - Maxtor 20G

Old May 7, 2003, 09:14 PM   #5
TiTaNiUm
Radeon R420

TiTaNiUm is still being judged by the masses

Well i couldnt find it.. NOW i dont wanna find it
Glad things are good again...It must have been that Benchmark...
I feel yer pain.. ive had to reload many megs of programs after a simple..Well lem'e see what this does.....AAAAAH CRUD
Live And Learn
Old May 7, 2003, 10:19 PM   #6
Quade2000
Radeon R300

Well, the benchmark was quite good really, was much more representative of what happens in games. I'm not sure it was what actually did me in. That's just the last real stressfull thing I remeber doing on the card. The last thing i did was play Tribes2. Anyway it's at Warp2Search
SAP Radeon 9500NP 128
SBLive Value
WD 80G - Maxtor 20G