Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support » AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

Old Sep 3, 1999, 08:57 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
footrot_flats

footrot_flats is still being judged by the masses

Smile Broadcasting from LAN to Internet

POST DATE OF THIS SHOULD BE 5/27/2001

Re. my broadcasting from my AIW machine, which is not the machine that has the second NIC for my cable modem. Using Win 2K, and playing around, I was able to eventually set up an Internet Connection Sharing Service for my AIW broadcast. So, from the internet, I can drill down to my AIW (broadcasting using WM Encoder), even though it is not the primary internet connection machine on my LAN.

Also got it working for FTP and TELNET. BlackIce seems to let the video get through port 8080, even if I have it on 'cautious' - FTP and Telnet need trusted addresses, however.

Next test - having my brother in New Zealand watching my TV in New York!

Please post here if detailed instructions are needed.

Last edited by footrot_flats : Sep 3, 1999 at 09:14 AM.
footrot_flats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2001, 08:25 AM   #2
hojbjerg

hojbjerg is still being judged by the masses

Cool Windows Media 7.1 Broadcasting with AIW

Last night I downloaded the Windows Media Encoder 7.1 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ad/default.asp), because I was going to play around with Windows Media Encoding.

I realized that the Windows Media Encoder can be setup as a broadcaster of live video and sound. This caught my attention, so I wanted to try to broadcast from my Radeon AIW card. But it didn't work - when trying to start the broadcasting it came out and said that the video device was not working correctly.

Did anyone try to play around with this?

I would love to be able to broadcast TV from one system to another.

Thanks
Jens
hojbjerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2001, 09:42 AM   #3
mentalv
Radeon R300

mentalv is still being judged by the masses

lamentably ati is being lazy and has a problem reported on their site for a couple of months now and they dont seem to care enough to fix it... you should also get problems with chillcam(any version) and others... i am sick of the card... for sure my last ATI product..
mentalv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 17, 2001, 09:53 AM   #4
hojbjerg

Unhappy Windows Media 7.1 Broadcasting with AIW

I just searched the ATI site and there is a problem reported very similar to what I saw. It is problem report: 3692 (http://support.ati.com/infobase/3692.html).

Any work arounds?
Old May 18, 2001, 11:31 AM   #5
Rik
Radeon R700

Rik is still being judged by the masses

Unhappy

What I don't get is that Windows Movie Maker in WinME works well with the Radeon, and this must surely be just a slimmed-down version of the Media Encoder.
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2001, 10:10 AM   #6
hojbjerg

Default Reply from ATI

So I guess it is the VFW vs. DirectShow issue in win2k - so who is going to bend over and support the other standard?

ATI reply:

Thank you for contacting ATI Technical Support Canada.

In regards to WINDOWS MEDIA ENCODER REPORTS ERROR :

ATI Technical support has seen a similar issue before we have included some information below. Unfortunately the Windows Media encoder does not support any of our Radeon based applications or any of our product in the Windows 2000 environment. Our drivers are using Direct Show support in the drivers and Windows Media Encoder uses Video for windows support.

Should you require any further information or assistance, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Please quote your ATI Customer Number, 1075977CSC, in any future correspondence.

Regards,

Michel Dupuis
Technical Support Canada
ATI Technologies, Inc.
Old May 21, 2001, 11:58 PM   #7
mentalv
Radeon R300

mentalv is still being judged by the masses

Default its soooo great....

when companies start playing around with customers about which has the fault... i hate this and no matter what no one says ATI should make the VFW drivers either way... then again i think M$ pays them more than we do.... :/
mentalv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2001, 04:45 PM   #8
Whammamoosha
Radeon R300

Whammamoosha is still being judged by the masses

Default Whammamoosha

Not that I have a cozy room for ATI in my heart, but... one issue we cannot blame ATI for is this one.

Microsoft is forcing all developers to use DirectShow instead of VFW, whereas they didin't update their own video-processing package.

By the way, Microsoft's media-file extensions are: ASF = Argh Sniff F*ck, WMF = What a Mother F*cker!

Peace

-- Whamma
Old May 23, 2001, 11:12 AM   #9
hojbjerg

Smile Windows Media Encoder and DirectShow

I am not sure that Windows Media Encoder 7.1 doesn't support DirectShow if it is either through a wrapper or not. I did find someone talking about a program in DirectX SDK called AMCAP, which should do some initialization to the AIW board, and thereby make it possible to start up Windows Media Encoder and use the AIW as input source.

I'm at work right now, but I'll try to download the DX SDK tonight and give it a run.

Let's hope that Windows Media Encoder 8.0 will work better with the AIW card - anynody got any information at WME 8?
Old May 23, 2001, 09:16 PM   #10
hojbjerg

Smile It works - just run amcap

I figured it out. You just need to download the latest DirectX SDK, and run the program called amcap.exe in preview mode while you have Windows Media Encoder running.

Then everthing seems fine!!!

I am now broadcasting live video from my Radeon AIW card - cool!
Old May 24, 2001, 03:14 AM   #11
footrot_flats

Default WMCAP also lets WM Encoder see AIW

Also, with WMCAP.EXE running in preview mode, WM Encoder can now see the ATI AIW Radeon. WMCAP.EXE is part of Windows Media Encoder 7 Tools, appearing as 'Windows Media Capture Utility' in the menu.

WM Resource Kit can be downloaded from:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...s/resource.asp
Old May 24, 2001, 03:39 AM   #12
footrot_flats

Default further infro from last post

Tips:

1. Make sure that WMCap stays running in preview mode.

2. Make sure that your sound card is also checked in the WMCap 'Devices' list.

3. Exciting stuff! What this all means:

a. Capture directly to WMV.

b. Broadcast Video/TV/etc to your LAN!!

(on my system, on another computer, with the AIW machine called MYAIW, for example)

On another LAN computer, run Windows Media Player, and under the file menu, choose 'Open URL', and type in (eg) http://MYAIW:8080.

Although I haven't tried it, in theory, if your AIW machine is your primary internet connection (and firewalls are off), you could allow anyone on the internet to watch what your AIW is seeing!

Enjoy!
Old May 24, 2001, 10:26 AM   #13
hojbjerg

Smile Live broadcasting

I didn't try the WMCAP program but it sounds like it the same program called in AMCAP in DX SDK.

The broadcasting works great. Last night I had a friend watching TV from NY in FL - and that was even through my firewall. If you have firewall you simply configures the firewall to do a port forwarding on port 8080 to the machine behind the firewall which run WME.

I guess one of the possibilities would be to capture directly in Windows Media Format 8 - and thereby get the advantages of WMF8.

--
Jens
Old May 24, 2001, 01:34 PM   #14
Les

Les is still being judged by the masses

Smile

Here is another way of doing it. Start up WM Encoder then start Ulead Video Studio and put it in capture mode with the source you want to view. WM Encoder will then encode without the usual error.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2001, 02:48 PM   #15
footrot_flats

Default Broadcasting from LAN to internet question.

My AIW based computer gets to the Internet through Internet Connection sharing under W2K. My internet connection is on a Pentium Pro 200 machine, with two NIC's - one for the Cable Modem, the other for my LAN.

I know how to broadcast from the PP200 to the internet using WM Encoder (my_internet_ip:my_port).

Does anyone know how I can broadcast from the AIW machine, across the LAN then through the PP200?
Old May 24, 2001, 02:54 PM   #16
hojbjerg

Default Shared internet connection

I would suggest that you go out and buy a cheap cable modem router.

For instance on http://dealnews.com/ they list this router: http://www.egghead.com/category/inv/...7/03278194.htm for approx. $60 after rebate.

Then you get a firewall also.

Unfortunatly I don't know Win2K does the internet sharing - if you uses NAT also and if it can be setup to do port forwarding - just as the router can.

I myself has the SMC Barricade 4 port. You can find that one for approx. $100.

--
Jens
Old May 27, 2001, 03:26 PM   #17
footrot_flats

Default time test only

time test only
Old Jul 26, 2001, 09:39 PM   #18
aLTeReGo

aLTeReGo is still being judged by the masses

Question Ok.... Now what?

Following the instructions posted above "Obviously posted by someone smarter than I" I am able to view Live TV from anywhere in the world with my ATI Radeon card and Windows Media Encoder. But now for an obvious question, now what? Does anyone know of a method of changing the channel remotely? I don't mean infrared, but like over the internet via TCP/IP. Possibly a web interface or something?
aLTeReGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2001, 03:38 PM   #19
mitchie
Radeon R300

mitchie is still being judged by the masses

I did all the suggestions and downloads in this thread, but can't get it working. WM Encoder either hangs or gives an error message saying somewhat of an active filter already being used . Suggestions?

Last edited by mitchie : Jul 28, 2001 at 03:40 PM.
mitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2001, 08:15 PM   #20
mkraft
Radeon R520

mkraft is still being judged by the masses

I got passed the error message in WM encoder, but it doesn't seem to work.

If I load WMCAP first then WMEncoder appears to hang when I click start. It completely stops responding and I have to kill it off using CTRL-ALT-DEL.

If I load WMEncoder first and then load WMCAP, when I click start I get an error message saying the audio device is in use.

Either way I can't record or broadcast.

Is there something I'm missing?

Update

Well I got it to work, but it wasn't easy and I'm not sure if I could reproduce it. I ended up opening WMEncoder, then WMCAP, trying to broadcast, then closing and reopening WMEncoder and finally it worked. But its a pain and I wish it worked right off the bat.
Win XP Pro SP2, DX9.0c, Pentium III 600 (133 FSB), 256 megs ram (133 CS/3), TekRam P6Pro-A+ (Via Apollo Pro133 [Via 4.43v 4in1]), ATI Radeon AIW 7200 AGP [Catalyst 4.8, MMC 9.0.2], SB Live! value [5.12.01.0244], Maxtor 40 Gig (3 NTFS partitions), IBM 31 Gig (Fat32)

Last edited by mkraft : Jul 30, 2001 at 08:40 PM.
mkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2001, 10:49 AM   #21
trywing

trywing is still being judged by the masses

Unhappy I have tried with both amcap and wmcap

I have tried both the amcap and wmcap ,sure I get the preview playing, but I go to the other computer and enter the url (http//any1:8080)in the windows media player I get "unable to connect, you may not be connected to the network". The thing is they are connected because I can browse other files. Maybe I am doing something wrong. anyone out there please help. Under the capture menu should I check start capture? I dunno, If I didnt know this could be done it wouldnt drive me crazy. If someone could help pleez let me know. email [email protected] icq 121885207
trywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2001, 10:47 AM   #22
BDrew5
Radeon R100

BDrew5 is still being judged by the masses

Default Silly Question...

Um, is this creating a wrapper for VFW use? In other words, is it getting around the DirectShow-only driver set???

Thanks!
BDrew5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 02:28 PM   #23
TheShaz
Radeon R100

TheShaz is still being judged by the masses

Unhappy No dice- HELP!

Windows Media Encoder 7
Windows Media Resourse Kit - WMCAP.exe

AIW Radeon 8500DV 6.13.10.6071
ATI MMC 7.7.0.0

Athlon 2000 XP
512 meg 2100 DDR Ram

Sat output going into the AIW thru the s-video & stereo jacks.

OK, I've tried to open wmcap 1st and have the PREVIEW running. Then open ME7 and try the broadcast thru the ATI, when I get to the main screen I get "not supported" and if I try to go ahead and encode it just ends up hanging.

Also on a side note, I can get wmcap running just fine, but when I close it I get a error.

There has to be a better way, I have been looking high and low. During the Lewis/Tyson fight I had it on my "modified" sat receiver I hang in Yahoo chat room sometimes and had the fight on my web cam(funny Yahoo can use WDM & AIW just fine) but the only problem was no audio. I had over 35 people watching Tyson getting his ass kicked out of him.

To the brainiacs - HELP !

TheShaz
TheShaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 01:51 AM   #24
Veazer
Radeon R420

Veazer is still being judged by the masses

Try the old WME version 4.1, I have had far greater success with it. It is not easy to find, it is buried deep in the resource kit. WME 7 seems to miss a frame now and then but good old 4.1 is great. There is an old thread about this here:

http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.p...eadid=33614971

'ganstalin' explains how to find wme 4.1 towards the end of the thread. If you have any trouble, let me know and I will try to help out.

They should have posted explicit instructions for both WME versions as a "sticky" post long ago.
Veazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 11:32 AM   #25
TheShaz
Radeon R100

TheShaz is still being judged by the masses

Smile Thank You - It works

Funny thing I downloaded version 4 and didnt even know it

It works like a charm, I hope MS fixes the bug in Version 7, the interface on Version 7 looks nice.

I'm playing with different bit rates but the HUGE thing is the damn thing sees my video card.

Thanks for the help

TheShaz
TheShaz is offline   Reply With Quote