Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Feb 9, 2016, 08:40 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Replaced Fitbit with Apple watch

After destroying two Fitbit trackers with water exposure and just losing one out of its own damn holster I decided to go water resistant and wrist.

I know the Apple watches have been on sale a lot lately and they were 25% off this past Sunday so I picked one up. I got the 42mm because it seems the batter is larger.

I restrict the notifications that come up on my iPhone so my watch doesn't get many. I also turned off the feature where the watch face comes on if you raise your arm toward your face. I also turned off the "Hey Siri" feature. I did not dial back the heart rate feature to save power.

I took the watch off charge at 5:30 am yesterday and put it back on the charger at 11:30 pm. 18 hours and still at 76% power isn't that bad.

I didn't make any phone calls on the watch but I did use Apple pay once to try it out.

It is kind of neat you can set your iPhone up for WiFi calling on Sprint, [email protected] and T-Mobile then turn your cell phone off and make/receive calls over WiFi with your watch.

To date I have blown more money on Fitbit devices than my Apple watch. I hope this lasts for at least couple years.

If I had an Android device I would have tried the LG Urbane, another IP67 rated device.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:15 PM   #2
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Apple watches are not waterproof so you're still in the same boat.

You can also get a Sony Watch 3 (Android Wear works with iOS, I have my Moto360 connected to my iPhone 6s+) because that IS waterproof. The rest of the Wear devices are only water resistant.

OR, you could get a WaterFi.

http://smile.amazon.com/Waterfi-Wate...waterfi+fitbit

http://smile.amazon.com/Waterfi-Wate...waterfi+fitbit

You can also get an Apple Watch that has been water proofed:

http://waterfi.com/

I have a Flex. No issues so far. Already had a smart watch so didn't need to get anything fancier. The VivoSmart was my actual first buy but guess what, the app doesn't work properly on iPhone 6's. So there's that.

But, it's water proof:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into...rod154886.html
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:49 PM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

IPX7 isn't water proof, but for most purposes it should be considered as such. I think you're splitting hairs.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 9, 2016, 01:51 PM   #4
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
IPX7 isn't water proof, but for most purposes it should be considered as such. I think you're splitting hairs.
The Fitbit's similarly are hearty in resistance to water and most people I work with wear them in shower and some swim with their Flex's.

And yet here we are in a thread where the OP has had issues with water damage to other devices.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 02:40 PM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
The Fitbit's similarly are hearty in resistance to water and most people I work with wear them in shower and some swim with their Flex's.

And yet here we are in a thread where the OP has had issues with water damage to other devices.
I can't find a rating for FitBit's, but IPX7 literally says it can be submerged for up to 30 minutes. You're splitting hairs here, probably just so you can recommend against Apple. Hell, he already has the Apple Watch, and nowhere in his posts does it say he's looking for suggestions.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2016, 05:33 PM   #6
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post

It can be placed in a 3 ft deep bucket of water for half an hour. It meets my needs. Consumer Reports tested it out.

The Charge HR appears to have less water resistance than the plain Charge. And the display at the store when I got the Apple watch reflected that as well. Fitbit has conflicting information on their devices but no need to go into that. And there are a lot of complaints out there as well.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 06:53 PM   #7
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Hell, he already has the Apple Watch, and nowhere in his posts does it say he's looking for suggestions.
I don't mind the discussion. There is always next time.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 07:25 PM   #8
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I can't find a rating for FitBit's, but IPX7 literally says it can be submerged for up to 30 minutes. You're splitting hairs here, probably just so you can recommend against Apple. Hell, he already has the Apple Watch, and nowhere in his posts does it say he's looking for suggestions.
Many devices can be submerged for a period of time. You aren't supposed to move it around, which is where a lot of the water penetration comes about from. This is why IPX7 doesn't cover activities with moving water such as swimming. Showering does not entail total submersion with pressure so it's fine.

The recommendations I made were for items that were specifically waterproof. I have no idea why you are getting so antagonistic about this.

@ Guest, enjoy the watch and I hope you have no issues with it
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:09 PM   #9
lviz
On my way

lviz is still being judged by the masses

Now that this discussion had broadened into waterproof/water resistant devices, I might add a few words about my recent choices.

I'd also been looking for a real waterproof smart device to track my daily activity recently. I had used a Polar Loop for some time, but it was annoyingly large for what little it could do. I considered proper smartwatches and smartbands, and ended up getting a Garmin Viviactive. The thing's not only waterproof, but able to measure distances when swimming in a pool along with other training computer capabilities. With its current price here (150 € without HR strap), it is very hard to beat.

It's got integrated gps and limited smartwatch capabilities (phone alerts and a very limited selection of apps). In no way does it compete with proper smartwatches, but it's quite a competitive choice for most smart-type fitness bands. It doesn't have an optical HR monitor, but the performance of those is not there yet for my use anyways, so no big deal. I use a HR strap when training for proper HR feedback.

I charged the device on Sunday afternoon, and have used it continuously since, and done an hours session of lap swimming. It still has about 80 % charge left. It seems that I may get a bit over a week's use per charge. Gps drains its battery pretty fast, as should be expected.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:17 PM   #10
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lviz View Post
It doesn't have an optical HR monitor, but the performance of those is not there yet for my use anyways, so no big deal. I use a HR strap when training for proper HR feedback.
According to Consumer Reports the Apple watch was OK, I assume most others would too. Do you not trust the green LED type monitors?

Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:33 AM   #11
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

They need stable contact, right? Basically, sit or stand still while trying to capture pulse. If the watch moves too much, you lose the pulse?

The HR on Galaxy S6 works better than the one on my Withings for instance.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 01:40 AM   #12
lviz
On my way

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
According to Consumer Reports the Apple watch was OK, I assume most others would too. Do you not trust the green LED type monitors?

As said, it's not there yet for my use. They are good for general use where HR info is nice-to-know kind, but not exactly reliable for doing e.g. HR based interval training. Optical HR monitors produce variable results, see for example this review by DC Rainmaker. DC Rainmaker has covered the subject quite extensively for devices he's tested. In any training use optical HR is still not as accurate as HR strap based monitoring, even though the tech is improving fast. So the reliability of optical HR monitoring really depends on the needs of the user. I like the idea of optical HR, but it'll have to develop still before I will adapt it.

Edit, had a look at what DC Rainmaker had done with Apple Watch regarding water resistance. The results are impressive. It can withstand quite a lot.

Last edited by lviz : Feb 10, 2016 at 01:50 AM.
lviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2016, 08:25 AM   #13
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Oh great... another device with a tiny battery to charge every night. I'll stick with my Citizen Eco-Drive and automatic mechanical watches, thanks.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2016, 09:06 AM   #14
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I currently have a Fitbit Charge -- I like it because I use the app for tracking meals, my runs etc -- it lasts about 7 days before I have to charge it up for 30 mins. I am just finding it is too basic for what I want in a fitness tracker.

I have been doing quite a bit of research on wearables lately (once I hit my next goal I am allowing myself to purchase a new device). I am looking at a Garmin Forerunner 235 -- more of a pure running watch. I really like all the Garmin and Jawbone products too, nothing wrong with Fitbit stuff either.

If you’re an Apple fan, someone who is interested in basic health and fitness monitoring (in conjunction with a fully featured smart watch), or an early adopter of new technology, the Apple Watch is definitely worth considering. If you are looking for a device that will provide in-depth health and fitness tracking, for the moment you may be better off with one of the dedicated activity trackers like a Garmin.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:23 AM   #15
ATi VGA Wonder

Sazar, I figured you would be all over the Apple Watch since you are a big fan of inductive/wireless charging.

That is far beyond what I would expect from the Apple Watch. I will not be doing that. I don't plan on washing it off with my pressure washer either...

From the HR link:

Quote:
Apple Watch: While a fair bit more expensive than the Vivosmart HR (by about $100 right now), this unit definitely does a better job at 24×7 HR, but is equally mixed when it comes to sport. Of course, the main appeal of the Apple Watch is the apps, but it does come at the price of being iOS-only. Further, the battery life is about 24-36hrs, versus 4-5 days for the Vivosmart HR.
I assume sport is beyond a standard aerobic workout. I did not think it had motion issues. I know if you have anything that optically blocks the green light, like tattoos, will cause issues. I wonder if band type can cause a differing experience (metal vs a snug sport band)

Concerning the non HR aspects: using the watch with the phone can help accuracy with distance etc but this holds true with most products.

Another thing I didn't mention was the Apple Care Plus is something I purchased and I have an Apple Store near me so if smash the display I have to pay a fee to have it replaced but for all other issues I can swap it out on the spot. It means a lot to me.

Last week my wife replaced a water damaged ipod, 100% our fault but I wasn't involved in any of it, and it was $29 to do it. If we did not have Apple Care it would have cost $89 which is still a lot cheaper than buying a new iPod Touch 6th gen 64GB. I need to tell Lupine about this some day. A very good experience, the replacement is in a Lifeproof case. This is just an example of being able to easily obtain service for the product.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 05:34 PM   #16
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:

That is a super interesting video. The SW3 is supposed to be waterproof and it failed their test. Very interesting.

And note, in the testing, they aren't moving the way around, which is what causes the pressure changes and leads to ingress of water. BUT your watch should hold up for most anything apart from swimming/diving it seems
Old Feb 10, 2016, 05:36 PM   #17
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Sazar, I figured you would be all over the Apple Watch since you are a big fan of inductive/wireless charging.
I am waiting to see what the Gen 2 brings to the table.

I am not a huge fan of the Apple watch aesthetics. Even though my Moto360 is ancient in wearable terms, it looks significantly better than the Apple watch. Plus it still counts steps, heart rate, provides notifications, and other stuff.

I think the new Watch is supposed to come out in March or so, therefore I guess I'll wait and see what happens there. Fingers crossed that there will be a round version this time.

If not, I might just hang tight to see whether Android Wear for iOS gets better. As it stands, I absolutely loathe iOS and will most likely be switching back to a Nexus by the end of the year. But there is no denying that the hardware is pretty solid.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 07:26 PM   #18
ATi VGA Wonder

Totally off topic but I do agree with IOS being a tad off. IOS isn't the best but Google Maps, Drive and Hangouts run great on my iPhone.

I still play around with my LG G Stylo and NFC based Yubikey for multifactor authentication. You cannot do that with Apple hardware because they have not opened up the NFC to developers yet. So far that is the only thing I find disappointing. Lastpass and Duo have Apple watch apps I've been messing with, I need to read up on the security of this stuff.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:53 AM   #19
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Check out reviews of options here: http://www.wareable.com/

The Microsoft Band 2 is considered the best fitness tracker for running.
vitocorleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2016, 02:30 AM   #20
lviz
On my way

Some curious design solutions on that MS Band 2. What's that blob on the wristband? Anyone tested it, can it be comfortable?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 03:07 AM   #21
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Note: Wrist HRM is not a reliable method for everyone due to physiological differences.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2016, 07:03 AM   #22
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
Note: Wrist HRM is not a reliable method for everyone due to physiological differences.
What is the best method for personal evaluation of a wrist HRM? Use a blood pressure device that measures pulse? Use a finger pulse/blood oxygen device? Use a chest strap HRM?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 05:05 PM   #23
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
What is the best method for personal evaluation of a wrist HRM? Use a blood pressure device that measures pulse? Use a finger pulse/blood oxygen device? Use a chest strap HRM?
The last one is the best method.

The good fitness trackers are pretty solid and usually within a few beats of the chest monitors.

As an aside, I gave my Fitbit to the lady and got another Vivosmart since I found a workaround and... I love it. This thing is so awesome. Plus waterproof