Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 2, 2007, 08:41 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Widescreen LCD or not?

Well, I had a whole post on this, but the db server must have temporarily died and now there are three non-threads. Anyway the long short of it was, when I make the jump from CRT to LCD, should I really go WS or not. Any detriments/benefits based on my current hw (x1950Pro/C2D 2.77ghz/2gb ram). I know resolution is going to be an issue, but just looking for some recommendations.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
Your f**king pets are being skinned alive.
Your mom's a f**king whore.
You suck at life.
The whole world hates you.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Pr3tty F1y is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I just transitioned from a 19" 4:3 to a 22" WS LCD. The 22" LCD is lit from the sides, which means it creates a sort of sideways hourglass look in very dark or very bright scenes.

The wider screen is nice, since we see in widescreen.

Altogether, it's better to get a WS, since pretty much everything is going that way. If money is tight though, you can get a good 19" 4:3 much cheaper than a 21" or larger widescreen.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 11:28 PM   #3
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Really not a good reason to not go widescreen.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 3, 2007, 05:30 AM   #4
cjl64
The Mod has you....

cjl64 is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

yup... at this point any new LCD/display should be WS. Those that blah blah about 4:3 have just not used WS enough to know its allot better. Just about everyone that complained about the difference to 4:3 compared to 16:9/16:10 eventually grew to love the WS goodness

Also... if you need mod assistance please pm cjl64 for speedy results. :D
cjl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 05:44 AM   #5
infowar
Banned

infowar is still being judged by the masses

i really like my 4:3 although i do not game much. i find it better for reading text and watching tv ratio videos.
when i was making the choice i went through my media and realised very little of it is widescreen. most of the games i play do not support widescreen, but they are old.
infowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:29 AM   #6
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

SD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete stranger

It a catch-22. IMO, In order to get a decent desktop you really need something with at least 1000 pixels high natively. In order to do that you need a fairly large widescreen. If you get a large widescreen you will have to run a very high resolution for gaming if you want to use native resolution. That requires a very nice PC when running the newest games. I am torn on the issue myself and often wonder if a nice 1280x1024 LCD desktop isn't the best compromise for everything.
SD-[Inc] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 01:10 PM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Widescreen. a 1440x900 - 1680x1050 res will be very playable depending upon your qualify/filtering selections.

My stepson's AM2 X2 4000+ w/X1900XT 256 plays Oblivion at high settings on his 19" LG very nicely, 1440x900 res.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 01:41 PM   #8
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

SD-Inc:

Your 8800GTS is more than enough to run games at 1680x1050 on a 21" or 22" LCD.

Just, please...for the earth...get rid of that 200W 19" CRT!
Old Dec 3, 2007, 01:44 PM   #9
clerick
tfw

clerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwards

Once I went widesceen I couldn't foce myself to look at my old 22 CRT. It was just so blurry and crappy compared to the crist and cleap picture that was easy on the eyes.
clerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 07:09 PM   #10
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete stranger

Well, I bit the bullet. Did a little research and got myself a 5ms GTG, 16.7million color 22" 16:10 1680x1050 Acer LCD Panel. Seems to have great specs and reviews and the price was right.

In the end, the purchase was going to be necessary as I didn't feel like hauling my gigantic 19" CRT with me when I move in December (only taking what fits in my car and will furnish my apartment when I get there). Plus it's big enough to double as a decent sized TV until I figure on what type of TV I'm going to buy.

I figure it'll last me for a while (especially when I get my next vid card + yorkfield).

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
You suck at life.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:42 PM   #11
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

SD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bires View Post
SD-Inc:

Your 8800GTS is more than enough to run games at 1680x1050 on a 21" or 22" LCD.

Just, please...for the earth...get rid of that 200W 19" CRT!
Save the planet eh? I drive a compact 4 cylinder stick shift car so that makes up for my energy hog CRT

I do run plenty of games at 1600x1200. But, for games like Crysis and Stalker I need to go all the way down to 1280 or 1024 to have good FPS and AA with High Settings. I love that flexibility the CRT gives me. Plus, this Samsung CRT really does have sharp text and colors. (Even compared to a good LCD). I only use LCDs at work so I do know the good, and bad, that they offer. And, this CRT can compete with them in image quality. I'd say it's even better in games as there is no hassle with scaled resolutions, ghosting, viewing angles, and low refresh rates. I don't really watch DVD movies on my PC. If I did, the WS would be way better. The bigger display area and LCD gives would be nice. But, if I have to deal with the LCD viewing angles issues and banding caused by dithering all that would make me more unhappy the bigger the monitor. (Good ones are still very expensive!) So, I am hanging on to this guy until it starts to show its age. Hopefully LCD tech will improve in the meantime. When the tube finally goes, I have no choice but to take the plunge and get a nice energy efficient LCD. When I do, I will prolly buy an SUV too
Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:47 PM   #12
cjl64
The Mod has you....

Subscriber

for me.. i am a strong supporter of HDTV for a PC LCD. It can be used for all purposes in one area. I dont need an HTPC because my main rig is the one in my living room. I know this is not the scenario for most people.... but i like to have xbox 360, pc, DVD and soon to be HD-DVD all in the same place. 1920x1080 "for me" is very nice on a 42" LCD.

Old Dec 4, 2007, 07:45 PM   #13
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] View Post
When the tube finally goes, I have no choice but to take the plunge and get a nice energy efficient LCD. When I do, I will prolly buy an SUV too
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

(I drive a civic too. 37mpg FTW!)

BTW: I have that 19" monitor in my lab. It's a well-built CRT. It will never die.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:48 PM   #14
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bires View Post
BTW: I have that 19" monitor in my lab. It's a well-built CRT. It will never die.
I hope it gives me a least another year or so because LCD technology needs to still improve before it becomes a "must have" for me.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 12:22 AM   #15
cjl64
The Mod has you....

Subscriber

It's really not that bad in it's current state... OLED would be great but thats to be seen in consumer use for a while still sadly. As far as my HDTV goes i find the black levels to rock... very minimal back light issues as opposed to my 19" ws Hanns-G that in games like fear had really noticable back light issues.

Last edited by cjl64 : Dec 5, 2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 01:55 AM   #16
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Unless a person is running an expensive program that cannot run in widescreen format theres almost no reason to avoid the new format. More screen space is awesome IMHO.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:27 AM   #17
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Well, I have my 22" Acer AL2216W setup and I have to say it's quite nice. Vertically it's a bout an inch taller in display area than my hulking 19" Sony Trinitron CRT, however it still looks smaller to me because it sits lower on my desk. I'm sure it'll just take some getting used to.

Other than that, I have to say at 5ms, this thing doesn't blur any more than my CRT's phosphor blur on high motion, at least as detectable by my eyes. Also no dead pixels, which is a major plus. I got it for $229, but from reading reviews, I think it was only $199 before (doh!), but it's still totally worth it for me. It's got a really nice display, it's HDCP comptatible (if I ever actually care to use it). Only has one VGA and one DVI plug, but that's no biggy for me.

Overall, I'm just getting used to having more screen real estate. Still running a second 15" 768x1024 monitor in portrait mode as it makes using photoshop so much nicer (have all my control palettes on that screen), but I'm quite pleased by this thing and amazed on how well widescreen is supported by most apps (I was expecting to have most 4:3 emulators I use to be stretched to the full 16:10, but thus far I haven't had to use centered timings yet, so I don't know if this monitor supports it).

Now it's time for me to start looking into a beefier videocard so I really can take advantage of the extra pixels

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
You suck at life.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Old Dec 8, 2007, 12:27 PM   #18
stormy13
Radeon R600

stormy13 is still being judged by the masses

Welcome to the world of WS. And for those games that don't have native WS support,

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...Games_List_-_A
stormy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 12:32 PM   #19
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Welcome to the world of WS. And for those games that don't have native WS support,

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...Games_List_-_A
Cool, thanks. Black bars don't bother me much, but the stretching can get ugly at times. I'm just amazed how crap DivX/Xvid look now w/ full screen stretch

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
You suck at life.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER