Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support » AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

Old Aug 24, 2004, 03:42 PM   #241
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
PGHammer
This Olde (AGP) PC

PGHammer is still being judged by the masses

Talking RG-6 is *always* a better choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortus
I tried getting a amplified UHF antenna, but didn't do much better than the ATI antenna. So that was returned. But I changed the cable from the antenna to the card and signals improved for all 5 networks. (66-85%)

I replaced it with RG-6 cable, I believe the one ATI provides is RG-59.
RG-6 is a higher-grade (lower resistance) 75-ohm cable (it's also the preferred sort of antenna installers, CATV/SMATV installers, etc.)

My current cabling run to my AIW and cable modem is composed entirely of RG-6, and I use the same for patch cables.

Radio Shack (also Circuit City, Best Buy, etc., in fact, any store that sells TV sets and/or antennas) carries RG-6 in varying lengths (from short patch lengths to spools from 25 feet up).

If you are going to use 75-ohm cabling (which I recommend), refuse to settle for less than RG-6.
2 GB DDR2-800 (1 GB Corsair CL5 x2)
200 GB MAXTOR DiamondMax SATA
ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCIe
ATI HDTV Wonder (still going strong)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Windows 7 x64
openSuSE 11.1
PGHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 09:36 PM   #242
link993

link993 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut-Butter
Am i the only one who gets artifacts and choppy playback after exporting to HD-MPEG2

I have a perfect picture when playing recorded video in ATI .vcr format, but after exporting to HD-MPEG2 the mpg file is pure crap. It's not my processor (AMD 3200+), because my cpu usage never goes above 23% during playback.
I am having a similar problem, exporting to HD MPEG in the ATI Library causes the video to be choppy and the audio is messed up (sped up and slowed down), however when i watch the .vcr file, it is flawless... I want to be able to cut out commercials and do stuff with my encodes (stuff not in ATI's MMC, like encode with my own program)
link993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:40 PM   #243
Sulik
Radeon R420

Sulik is still being judged by the masses

The choppyness problem when exporting to HD-MPEG2 is was fixed in 9.02
Sulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 26, 2004, 03:16 PM   #244
SpecTP
Radeon R600

SpecTP is still being judged by the masses

Anyone notice a recurring stutter in the sound and a latency in the video and sound sync? I've reinstalled from scratch several times and I still have the same issues. The sound would stutter every few minutes like it was 'stuck' and I see a sync problem with the video and sound from the TV app. The DVD and HDTV app works fine though. I've tried shutting off all of the TV-on-Demand options but to no avail.

GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z87 - i7-4770K | 2x4Gb G.Skill PC16800 DDR3| XFX R9 290 (Cat14.12) | Asus PB278Q | 128Gb OCZ Agility3 SSD | 240Gb Samsung EVO SSD| Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB | Fractal Design R4 | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 | Samsung SH-B123L BD/DVD/RW | W8.1

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 - i7-2600K | 4x4Gb G.Skill PC16800 DDR3| Sapphire HD 7970 (Cat14.12) | BenQ XL2720T | 2x 128Gb OCZ Agility3 SSD | 2TB WD Caviar | Antec Lanboy | Corsair H60 w/S-Flex 120x25 F fans | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 950 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Samsung SH-B123L BD/DVD/RW | W7 Ult

Gigabyte EP45-UD3 - Q9550 oc 4.0 | 2x2Gb OCZ Reaper 8500 DDR2 | Sapphire 6970 (Cat13.6b2)| Dell 2407WFP | 74Gb WD Raptor | 500Gb WD SE16 | 1Tb Seagate | Thermalright XP-90C w/Delta 92x25 3-blade fan | Corsair 650TW | CM 690 case| Creative X-Fi Platinum | Liteon 165H6s DVDRW | WinXP Pro SP3
SpecTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:02 AM   #245
channone

channone is still being judged by the masses

Default Ramdisk

Anyone have any luck using a ramdisk to store the tv on demand data. I would think this would/could stop some of the choppy video.
channone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:58 AM   #246
FlyByNight

FlyByNight is still being judged by the masses

Default Hdtv Wonder Choppy Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecTP
Anyone notice a recurring stutter in the sound and a latency in the video and sound sync? I've reinstalled from scratch several times and I still have the same issues. The sound would stutter every few minutes like it was 'stuck' and I see a sync problem with the video and sound from the TV app. The DVD and HDTV app works fine though. I've tried shutting off all of the TV-on-Demand options but to no avail.
Just google "HDTV WONDER CHOPPY VIDEO" - for fun...

I have exactly the same issues. Some (who actually don't have the card) will be quick to suggest a bunch of garbage.

You are correct: the problem is related to ToD that can't be turned off (like on my RADEON 8500). My CPU is around 100% when HDTV is on and my hard disk light keeps flashing all the time (while I have no problem with my other tuner card).

There has to be a way to turn off this TV-ON-DEMAND thing!
FlyByNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 01:20 AM   #247
FlyByNight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecTP
Check this out

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....highlight=HDTV
Old Aug 27, 2004, 02:56 AM   #248
grog
No longer on Rage3d

grog is still being judged by the masses

ATI Technologies Low CPU usage for me

A read the links but I think we need to clear this one up.

The CPU usage on the ATI HDTV WONDER does require a fair amount of CPU, this is true. But I am suprised by how little is actually used. I know of others who have HDTV PCI cards that fight hard to get the CPU usage down.

The problem is I just don't see it. Maybe it is the PCI transfer bursts that are good on my system, maybe there is some other factors for those who have 100% CPU usage, I don't know what the problem is or why they are having the problem.

It is true I have a Athlon-64 3200+ which is one fast machine. But I can provide data that you may find interesting. See I can enable Cool-'n'-Quite on my Athlon-64. When I do this the processor will stay at 800Mhz instead of 2Ghz unless it needs the power. ASUS also includes a CPU meter to see if the processor demand changes.

The test case included runing with and without Cool-'n'-Quite.
Also the content was 1080i, the OLYMPIC games on tonight.

At 800Mhz my CPU usage was in the mid 50's across the board. The CPU did not go above 800Mhz in the test. You can look at the CPU usage graph to see it is pretty stable across the board.

At 2Ghz I measure 11% with peaks to 20%.

With the head-room I have I just don't see the ATI HDTV WONDER card or the CPU being the cause of high CPU usage. That is unless we are talking about a very under-powered computer. I can see why a 1.3Ghz or better processor is recommend. But a 3Ghz system with a 100% CPU usage? I just can't see that.

By the way, I also am using a Sound Blaster Audigy.

http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvwonder/specs.html

Something else has to be going on.

ASUS K8V Athlon-64 3200+ 1GB-3200+ DDR RAM with Cool-'n'-Quite enabled

ASUS K8V Athlon-64 3200+ 1GB-3200+ DDR RAM with Cool-'n'-Quite disabled

Greg
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:32 AM   #249
FlyByNight

Default Hdtv Wonder Choppy Video

Interesting analysis Greg. Perhaps the time-shift softare is "tuned" for typical computers found on the market (or the *one* they were testing on)? You happened to find the sweet spot at 2GHz.

I still maintain the ToD *has* to be made ON-DEMAND. Then we wouldn't be messing with it. All my other systems (albeit slower than yours) exhibit the same high CPU when this feature is enabled. ATI can't simply expect people to upgrade their entire systems just because HDTV is in town.

BTW I removed my Sound Blaster card and that did not help. CPU still hovers around 100% (with HDTV WONDER).

I am glad you did this analysis; it does look like the high CPU usage problem can be fixed after all.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:47 PM   #250
micnn
Radeon R300

micnn is still being judged by the masses

I am jumping in the thread without reading the whole. While monitoring the cpu/memory usages, you can try and turn on some of the columns... or better yet, use performance monitor (admin tool) and pay attention to the "page fault", "I/O data Operation".... per process. I suspect two possibilities: a race condition where application is doing disk I/O and OS page swapping getting in the way, or a hidden bug inside application. Any responsible software developer (ati where are you?) would not at minimum set loss those symptoms.
micnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 03:36 PM   #251
FlyByNight

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog
But a 3Ghz system with a 100% CPU usage? I just can't see that.
Greg
Just to clear up one thing what is your CPU usage when running full throttle?
Old Aug 27, 2004, 06:15 PM   #252
magius
Radeon R200

magius is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

Couple of things that may help:
- Check your HD setting (BIOS, Windows), verify the DMA and/or transfer settings. In my case, my last BIOS update defaulted my HD transfer to 16-bit, 32-bit should be the way to go.
- CHeck if enabling Fast Writes helps. It shouldn't make that much of a difference but some people report better performance after enabling it.
- Verify that the card is not sharing IRQs with anything major, like your video card, your NIC, your sound card, even with your main HD if you can help it.
- Check the usual BIOS settings, like PCI BUS Master (sp?).

That's the path I followed to solve my issues. I went from 70-85% usage to 30-45% when receiving 1080i with a 3GHz cpu (lower res transmisions score 20-30% cpu usage and lower).

NOW, if someone could tell me how to make the Analog TV app work, I would be extremely thankful.
magius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 08:27 PM   #253
grog
No longer on Rage3d

With Cool-'n'-Quite disabled 11% with peaks to 20%.

By enabling Cool-'n'-Quite I was able to simulate the machine at 800Mhz.
I think the point was made. A Athlon-64 at 800Mhz had not problems and was still not near the 100% CPU usage others have reported.

So you have to ask yourself. Is my system faster than a 800Mhz Athlon-64?

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNight
Just to clear up one thing what is your CPU usage when running full throttle?
Old Aug 27, 2004, 08:47 PM   #254
FlyByNight

Magius:
HD settings OK
Fast writes ON
Only card on PCI bus (tested without Audigy 2)
BIOS settings OK

Micnn:
Hard disk activities/top CPU values correlate with the hiccups. But it is difficult to know what comes first i.e. the disk access OR the CPU hitting 100%.

Greg:
Sorry, I read your earlier post and found the answer to my last question; you see 20% CPU at 1080i.

I do disagree with you regarding TV-ON-DEMAND though. The software *does not* necessarily have to buffer the data to disk. Whether the feed is digital or not, it could remain entirely in RAM up to the point where it is sent to the video card. The extra steps taken to store (and possibly transcode) the raw video to disk and read back to the application isn't necessary if all you care is LIVE programming.

Fortunately, ATI has acknowledged the high CPU/choppy video problem. What the real problem is remains to be seen of course. I bet it's ToD.

Last edited by FlyByNight : Aug 27, 2004 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Aug 27, 2004, 09:26 PM   #255
clemsyn

clemsyn is still being judged by the masses

I just discovered the solution (at least on my computer) for the Radeon HDTV.. The culprit that I found is the Catalyst driver (if you have a Radeon 9600). The driver that came with the CD (4.7 Catalyst) and the 4.8 Catalyst driver has a bug with decoding HDTV 1080i with creates the stutter and high CPU use. I installed OMEGA ATI driver with catalyst 4.6 and everything works perfect!!! No stutters and CPU use goes between 40%-70% (CPU is Athlon XP 2.0ghz with 256 memory).

I suggest you uninstall everything with ATI (Use driver Cleaner)

1. Omega driver (with catalyst 4.6)
2. DAO/MDAC
3. HDTV wonder drivers
4. DTV decoder
5. Multimedia Center

HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YOU!! Good luck!
clemsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 02:28 AM   #256
grog
No longer on Rage3d

ATI Technologies Detail CPU usage data - HDTV/DVD

Performance set to AVG mode.

All tests we allowed to run for about 5 minutes for better sampling.

You can click on the 'clickable thumbnail's' for the larger sized pictures.

Note: The CPU usage will be more than normal due to using the enhanced performance counter.

Even so my DTV live viewing after five minutes was still ~21% CPU usage.

CPU IDLE TIME
-------------
Processor (%Idle-time 99.230) (%Processor-time 0.770)
System (File Read Bytes/sec) : 7275.893
System (File Write Bytes/sec) : 3146.949

DTV LIVE (DTV PLAYER)
-------------------------------
Processor (%Idle-time 78.472) (%Processor-time 21.528)
System (File Read Bytes/sec) : 4647.410
System (File Write Bytes/sec) : 1846094.819

DTV PLAYBACK (MMC MEDIA PLAYER)
Processor (%Idle-time 77.344) (%Processor-time 22.656)
System (File Read Bytes/sec) : 1893017.267
System (File Write Bytes/sec) : 800.453

DTV PLAYBACK (Windows DirectX SDK GraphEdit) <= Filters done by hand
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Processor (%Idle-time 79.808) (%Processor-time 20.192)
System (File Read Bytes/sec) : 1905650.556
System (File Write Bytes/sec) : 850.479

DVD PLAYBACK (MMC/DVD+ PLAYER) : Roxy Music
Processor (%Idle-time 94.255) (%Processor-time 5.745)
System (File Read Bytes/sec) : 2105.704
System (File Write Bytes/sec) : 827.567

DVD PLAYBACK (Media Player 9) : Roxy Music
Processor (%Idle-time 54.561) (%Processor-time 45.439)
System (File Read Bytes/sec) : 966148.160
System (File Write Bytes/sec) : 1164.504

DTV PLAYBACK (MMC MEDIA PLAYER) + MPG-DVD PLAYBACK (Media Player 9)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Processor (%Idle-time 26.405) (%Processor-time 73.595)
System (File Read Bytes/sec) : 530205.179
System (File Write Bytes/sec) : 1753769.245

Yes I ran both Windows Media Player 9 and DTV at the same time and it was smooth.

Bottom line. DTV never transfers more than a modern drive should be able to handle with ease.

Everything is there, look at the graphs to see the results.

Best data I think I can give right now.
While the amount of disk activity is higher than MMC/TV it is by no means high enough to cause player issues.

Also the CPU usage is low. In fact my testing has shown the amount of CPU usage is even lower than playing regular DVD's with Windows Media 9.

Greg
Old Aug 28, 2004, 08:49 AM   #257
doctj
Radeon R520

doctj is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog
With Cool-'n'-Quite disabled 11% with peaks to 20%.

By enabling Cool-'n'-Quite I was able to simulate the machine at 800Mhz.
I think the point was made. A Athlon-64 at 800Mhz had not problems and was still not near the 100% CPU usage others have reported.

So you have to ask yourself. Is my system faster than a 800Mhz Athlon-64?

Greg
Does your cpu stay stuck at 800 mhz with cool n quiet enabled? Then Asus must be implementing it differently from MSI. In my case it automatically dials the cpu from 800 anywhere up to 2150 mhz (also have dynamic overclock enabled) depending on the applications running.

HTPC: Athlon XP 1500, MSI KT133A, 512 SDRAM, Samsung SD-816 DVD, Win2K SP4, All in Wonder Radeon 32 MB DDR- MMC 9.01, Remote Wonder, Chaintech 710 Infocus X1, Onkyo 770.
doctj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 11:45 AM   #258
micnn
Radeon R300

micnn is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNight
Magius:
HD settings OK
Fast writes ON
Only card on PCI bus (tested without Audigy 2)
BIOS settings OK

Micnn:
Hard disk activities/top CPU values correlate with the hiccups. But it is difficult to know what comes first i.e. the disk access OR the CPU hitting 100%.

Greg:
Sorry, I read your earlier post and found the answer to my last question; you see 20% CPU at 1080i.

I do disagree with you regarding TV-ON-DEMAND though. The software *does not* necessarily have to buffer the data to disk. Whether the feed is digital or not, it could remain entirely in RAM up to the point where it is sent to the video card. The extra steps taken to store (and possibly transcode) the raw video to disk and read back to the application isn't necessary if all you care is LIVE programming.

Fortunately, ATI has acknowledged the high CPU/choppy video problem. What the real problem is remains to be seen of course. I bet it's ToD.
Use performance monitor (perfmon.msc), select the process and its attributes for monitoring. The process has to be running during configuration. Compare the timeline results again system's attributes or other suspicious processes. Hopefully that will reveal useful clues. My 1st intuition is the paging and this is related to the quality of software.

Economically speaking it's OK to use disk to buffer data. It needs to be done right, and give users the option to disable it. Just my 0.02...
micnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 01:47 PM   #259
PGHammer
This Olde (AGP) PC

Red face NO Signal Strength?

I just got my HDTV Wonder Friday, and right now I'm confused.

I connected the included antenna to a length of RG-6 I already had and positioned the antenna between the screen and glass of my basement's window (directly behind the PC), yet DTV shows *no* signal strength at all (which, naturally, means I get no channels showing up). Also, my Audigy 2 ZS emits no sound, despite being detected in Device Manager.

My AIW 9700 Pro (which has problems with analog TV (failed to initialize the video)) is at IRQ 16, the HDTV Wonder is at IRQ 20, and the ZS is at IRQ 22.

Is an HD signal more directional than a standard signal? Also, why would DTV initialize, yet analog fail to?

On another note, you can *not* mulTView the AIW and HDTV Wonder with a single monitor (I have the Rage Theater Video Capture as the default).

I have *not* applied SP2 as of yet.

I am seriously puzzled mainly by the *no signal strength* issue, since I do *not* live in a valley (and a portable TV works just fine with its own antenna) and am less than 30 miles from the transmitters.
ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCIe
Windows 7 x64
openSuSE 11.1
Old Aug 28, 2004, 02:28 PM   #260
FlyByNight

Default Another Solution to High CPU Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsyn
I just discovered the solution (at least on my computer) for the Radeon HDTV.. The culprit that I found is the Catalyst driver (if you have a Radeon 9600). The driver that came with the CD (4.7 Catalyst) and the 4.8 Catalyst driver has a bug with decoding HDTV 1080i with creates the stutter and high CPU use. I installed OMEGA ATI driver with catalyst 4.6 and everything works perfect!!! No stutters and CPU use goes between 40%-70% (CPU is Athlon XP 2.0ghz with 256 memory).

I suggest you uninstall everything with ATI (Use driver Cleaner)

1. Omega driver (with catalyst 4.6)
2. DAO/MDAC
3. HDTV wonder drivers
4. DTV decoder
5. Multimedia Center

HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YOU!! Good luck!
I also found a workaround that works on my system. Through Device Manager I disabled ACPI. **** WARNING **** Do not attempt this if you are not willing to pay the price: all devices will basically stop working on your first reboot. After driver re-installation etc, my sound, TV, HDTV, wireless keyboard, mouse and network were fine again... Media Player still does not work - but so what.

After disabling ACPI, I was able to watch HDTV with the latest Catalyst/MMC driver and apps. No more [major] video glitches. HDTV WONDER has a truly amazing video quality at 1080i.

My 1.7GHz CPU now hovers around 60% in 1080i. Although I can now enjoy my HDTV like I had hoped, CPU utilisation is STILL way too high for prolonged viewing. I will now need water cooling.

High CPU *is* caused by ToD and this option must be made optional. Final.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 03:16 PM   #261
grog
No longer on Rage3d

ATI Technologies HDTV/DVD - CPU usage and CPU demand

To answer the question, no the CPU is not stuck at 800Mhz, if fact it will change very quick on demand up to the full 2Ghz on my system.

I guess the only way to show this effect is to provide even more data.
This time around we are going to plot CPU frequecy against CPU usage.

The %Percent of CPU usage has been scaled on the graphs by 100 while the CPU usage is scaled by 1.

The graph is ploted from 0-10000, so the 2Ghz line on the graph is also 20% for CPU usage.

All tests we allowed to run for about 5 minutes for better sampling.

You can click on the 'clickable thumbnail's' for the larger sized pictures.

Note: The CPU usage will be more than normal due to using the enhanced performance counter.

DTV Performace Graph - 1080i (Cool-'n'-Quite disabled)CPU=2Ghz
-------------------------------------------------------------
< play >

<record >

DTV Performace Graph - 1080i (Cool-'n'-Quite enabled)CPU=800Mhz-2Ghz
--------------------------------------------------------------------
< play >

< record >

DTV Performace Graph - 720p (Cool-'n'-Quite disabled)CPU=2Ghz

DTV Performace Graph - SD480i (Cool-'n'-Quite disabled)CPU=2Ghz

MMC/TV+ Performace Graph - Record DVD - (Cool-'n'-Quite enabled) CPU=800Mhz-2Ghz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQ on my plots:

Q: Why do you sometimes see less than 20% and at other times more than 20%?

A: The tools used do put some demand on the system. The enhanced performace tool does use more CPU than the task manager for example.
Also the content has a lot to do with CPU usage. Remember, HDTV signals are MPG encoded, so the less content, the less CPU usage.

Greg
Old Aug 28, 2004, 04:51 PM   #262
link993

Default Cut Commercials?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this question:
Has anyone been able to cut commercials out of files recorded by the HDTV Wonder? I have tried working with the HD MPEG output, but those MPEG files seem only usable by ATI's software (they aren't standard files).
Old Aug 28, 2004, 05:47 PM   #263
Peanut-Butter
Radeon R100

Peanut-Butter is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by link993
Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this question:
Has anyone been able to cut commercials out of files recorded by the HDTV Wonder? I have tried working with the HD MPEG output, but those MPEG files seem only usable by ATI's software (they aren't standard files).
I have tried MPEG2VCR and it works great. Also, i sent a sample HD-MPEG2 video to Pegasys and they told me their "TMPGEnc MPEG Editor" can edit the file with no problems. But it won't be released til mid Sept.
TMPGEnc MPEG Editor

Last edited by Peanut-Butter : Aug 28, 2004 at 05:51 PM.
Peanut-Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 06:36 PM   #264
link993

Thank You, Peanut-Butter, I have been looking all over for such a program.
I have one more question, if you dont mind, do you know if the HDTV Wonder recognizes the Broadcast Flag? I see a unlocked pad lock symbol when watching the olympics with EAZYLOOK, is this the broadcast flag? (I hope that lock is something else, but i have just begun to play with EAZYLOOK for the first time). Thanks again
Old Aug 28, 2004, 07:42 PM   #265
skinsfan39

skinsfan39 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

I connected the included antenna to a length of RG-6 I already had and positioned the antenna between the screen and glass of my basement's window (directly behind the PC), yet DTV shows *no* signal strength at all (which, naturally, means I get no channels showing up).
Did you try moving the antenna in various direction to find the optimal position? When I first connected mine I only got 2 stations but by trial and error now get around 19 channels (just by finding a good direction to point it). Try the antenna site listed earlier and it'll list how many channels you should get and what direction you should point your antenna, etc. I haven't tried a compass to fine tune mine yet.

Edit: Here is the link posted by Peanut-Butter earlier. Very helpful link:

http://www.antennaweb.org/

Last edited by skinsfan39 : Aug 28, 2004 at 07:44 PM.
skinsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 09:16 PM   #266
PGHammer
This Olde (AGP) PC

Red face Making Sure *all* Devices Are Installed (HDTV Wonder)

The problem I'm running into with my HDTV Wonder is making sure *all* the drivers that are supposed to be installed *are* installed.

I have been getting only *some* of the drivers to install each time.

Which drivers *should* be installed, and is there a certain order I should try to *hand-install* to make sure I get them all installed?
ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCIe
Windows 7 x64
openSuSE 11.1
Old Aug 28, 2004, 09:45 PM   #267
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

Here is what I have installed with my HDTV Wonder (drivers):
ATI DTV Wonder Analog Audio Capture Device
ATI DTV Wonder Analog AV Capture Device
-ATI DTV Wonder Analog AV Crossbar Device
-ATI DTV Wonder Digital and Analog Tuner Device
ATI DTV Wonder Digital BDA Capture Device

Hope that helps
Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:13 PM   #268
skinsfan39

skinsfan39 is still being judged by the masses

Manually, I did it in the order the website shows for the download steps.

Instructions:
  1. Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 and Windows Media Encoder 9.0 must be installed prior to attempting to install MMC.
Notes:
  1. Install ATI Multimedia Center 9.02 (MMC) as follows (rebooting as prompted):
1. DAO
2. HDTV Wonder Drivers
3. DTV Decoder
4. MMC

When installing from the CD, I ran the custom install and deselected ATI display driver, control panel and directx and I think hydravision.

Edit: I do every one of them every time even though that probably isn't needed.

Last edited by skinsfan39 : Aug 28, 2004 at 10:17 PM.
skinsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:47 PM   #269
PGHammer
This Olde (AGP) PC

Red face DTV still DOA; however, all the drivers are in place...What Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEMan4k
Here is what I have installed with my HDTV Wonder (drivers):
ATI DTV Wonder Analog Audio Capture Device
ATI DTV Wonder Analog AV Capture Device
-ATI DTV Wonder Analog AV Crossbar Device
-ATI DTV Wonder Digital and Analog Tuner Device
ATI DTV Wonder Digital BDA Capture Device

Hope that helps
Now I have the five listed drivers installed.

However, DTV still won't initialize.

Everything else works (analog TV is using the AIW, DVD works, EPG, again using the AIW, works). Only the DTV applet is OOO (Out Of Order).

Addendum: Fixed the Out Of Order signage and got DTV working. Wound up having to add a signal amp (dug out an old four-place powered distribution amp I had bought from Radio Shack pre-cable) to the mix (and figured out a novel way to hang this indoor 'tenna: hanging from the basement ceiling).

No WRC-DT, but I do have WUSA-DT (Gannett CBS affil that 'casts in 1080i primary and 480i 24-hour Doppler Radar secondary), WJLA-DT (Albritton Communications ABC affil with720p primary and 480i secondary) and WTTG-DT (FOX O&O, also 720p primary, but no secondary at present). The primaries all have chop, but the secondaries don't.

However, processor usage, even with the chop, is amazingly low (very seldom above twenty percent, even at 1080i, and it's been as low as eight percent @ 1080i).

If I can fix the chop problem, I'll be a happy camper.
ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCIe
Windows 7 x64
openSuSE 11.1

Last edited by PGHammer : Aug 29, 2004 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Changes
Old Aug 29, 2004, 12:19 PM   #270
PGHammer
This Olde (AGP) PC

ATI Technologies Chop and Signal Strength

I *finally* got my DTV probs solved. Mostly.

Right now, my biggest problem is *lack of signal*.

Except for WJLA-DT (ABC affil) I get the DC HD *majors* (WUSA-DT, WRC-DT and even WTTG-DT). At 1080i, I'm not using much in the way of CPU (usually around twenty percent, with dips as low as a mere eight percent).

I am using the antenna included with the HD Wonder.

The problem is that I'm in the basement, which faces the *wrong direction* (the towers, while less than twenty miles away, are all towards the front of the house, while the basement faces rearward, so the signal has to travel the structure of the house).

Is an indoor antenna *precluded* with this sort of location?
ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCIe
Windows 7 x64
openSuSE 11.1