Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support » AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:08 AM   #511
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
skiguy411

skiguy411 is still being judged by the masses

Has anyone figured out how to watch the local PBS station in HD? I get no video or sound, but ~83% signal strength. Other than this I dont have anymore problems.

Thanks!
skiguy411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 09:04 AM   #512
digital_one

digital_one is still being judged by the masses

So the PBS station problem with the HDTV Wonder is national, I'm in South Florida and the Miami PBS does the same thing. 91% signal but no video or audio, although the West Palm Beach is perfect.

To view those "troubled" station, find out what is the actual channel they transmit and added manually in the Channel List.

For example, the Miami PBS real channel is 18, but they remap to 2-1,2-2,2-3,.etc. I added manually channel 18 and it works then.

check for the real channel here:

http://www.hdtvpub.com/local/localarea.cfm
digital_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 09:04 AM   #513
digital_one

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiguy411
Has anyone figured out how to watch the local PBS station in HD? I get no video or sound, but ~83% signal strength. Other than this I dont have anymore problems.

Thanks!
So the PBS station problem with the HDTV Wonder is national, I'm in South Florida and the Miami PBS does the same thing. 91% signal but no video or audio, although the West Palm Beach is perfect.

To view those "troubled" station, find out what is the actual channel they transmit and added manually in the Channel List.

For example, the Miami PBS real channel is 18, but they remap to 2-1,2-2,2-3,.etc. I added manually channel 18 and it works then. The 2-1,2-2..etc channels comes with 91% signal but no video or audio

check for the real channel here:

http://www.hdtvpub.com/local/localarea.cfm
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 30, 2004, 09:17 AM   #514
Andrew 1961
Radeon R420

Andrew 1961 is still being judged by the masses

Although this may be a work-around it is NOT the fix. The FCC mandated some changes to DTV broadcaster's PSIP streams to be 'dynamic' and something about one of the PIDs too. These changes are causing havoc on DTV tuners as the broadcasters can't figure the RIGHT way to implement them. Do we know if others, with STBs and NOT the ATi card, are having issue with these specific stations? Usually a rescan of the stations, or a more severe 'clear station memory and rescan' is required. And, CALL THE STATION and ask them what's been done, and explain your problem. This DTV stuff is all so new that they may not realize you no longer have service.

See if we can do this research, contact the station, and report back -- THANKS.
ATi AIW 9600 XT; KD7-RAID; HDTV-Wonder; 2x 512MB Kingston ValuRam; AMD 2500+ (OC'd to 3100+) w/retail HSF; Antec TruPower 430; 5 case fans (2x 80mm exhaust driven by PS & 1 slot fan, 80mm & 120mm intake); WD 80GB; 2x WD 250GB RAID-0; 2x WD 160GB RAID-0; 2x WD 250GB; LiteON DVD-ROM on USB2; LiteON DVD D/L R/W; ATi Remote Wonder II, Electro-Home TiRA2
WinXP-SP2; Catalyst 5.4 w/CCC & ATICVPatch; MMC 9.06.1; RW 3.01; Girder 3.3
Andrew 1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 05:12 PM   #515
Skid
Radeon R300

Skid is still being judged by the masses

It's certainly a problem in my area. The ABC station switched to the new PSIP yesterday, and there have been problems locking and tuning the station ever since on HDTV Wonders, Samsung and Sylvania tuners, HD Tivos and Dish 811s, among others.

The station's only advice is to rescan, which doesn't help. In my case 8-1 and 8-2 show up and register 88-90 on the signal strength meter, but no audio or video.

Deleting and manually adding the stations does NOT make a difference.

Does anyone know where in the registry the channel lists are kept? Maybe removing all traces of the old PSIP info and starting fresh would help. (I'm sure everyone here can appreciate why I'm not anxious to scrub the drivers and MMC and do a fresh install.)
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 12:56 PM   #516
french

french is still being judged by the masses

Hi all-I had the same problem, but with fox fort myers fla. channel 36, I woul rescan and it would show 100% signal but no picture or audio but it worked fine before.This was a major problem since the playoffs are starting soon, so I was preparing for reformat this morning when I thought I would try one more time so I checked to see what the real station number is and they list fox as 35 and 36 so I opened up channel listings in set up deleted 36 and added 35 and sure enough it worked----thanks for the post digital one you have saved the playoffs for me.

Last edited by french : Dec 31, 2004 at 04:14 PM.
french is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 05:17 PM   #517
skiguy411

skiguy411 is still being judged by the masses

Ok, so I tried adding the channel manually, but it only lets me do 59. How do add two number channels?
skiguy411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:02 PM   #518
french

you just need to add 59 and it should add the 1 if it has a signal.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:29 AM   #519
Inkog

Inkog is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by french
you just need to add 59 and it should add the 1 if it has a signal.
I believe he can remap the "main" channel/signal to 59-1, but not any sub-channels (59-2, 59-3, ect.). I cannot figure out a way either . Luckily, my local (Louisville, KY) stations are mapping their channels correctly.
Inkog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:40 AM   #520
nickerbocker

nickerbocker is still being judged by the masses

Guys I have a problem here in the twin cities where I tune in 5-1 and 5-2, easylook freezes and wont change channels....this only happens with the channels listed. Why is this happening?

Oh one more thing, how do I go about updateing my drivers...ect...what order do I install them. I cant seem to find any installation notes on ATI's Web site...they have seemed to have stoped updating this bug filled software. I might just return my card, I love HD and thats the only thing holding me back, but If I have to force the software to close everytime I watch I wont hold on to it.

srry for the *****ing but I need some assistance, and I know that ati's tech support like all support today is some arab dude reading a FAQ sheet, and has no real knowledge of the product. Sigh...
nickerbocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:25 AM   #521
french

To update your drivers go here http://ati.com/support/drivers/winxp...2&submit=GO%21 then just follow 1-4, these are for xp. You must have original cd that came with your tuner in one of your drives for step 3 dtv decoder to validate itself also on step 3 make sure you install it with the web wizard it wont install if you download it to your computer and install it later install it at ati website.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 02:45 PM   #522
digitalmn

digitalmn is still being judged by the masses

Default tvod

how did you turn off your tv on demand? i would really like to know how.

interesting comments about PBS getting lost in miami, My PBS in orlando is also lost now. but on the bright side, WB18 in orlando has never worked, always a signal with no a/v after reading about the pbs problem i check it and viola! i got wb18, i hate losing the nice pbs docu's but wb18 has a lot if HD stuff i have been missing.

ive also been reading a lot of stuff here and on avs and have yet to post. my situation is as follows.
msi nforce2ultra MB, amd2600+ with radeon 9600pro/256, xp sp2.

ive removed all other h/w i have it working best so far. with all latest drivers i had severe cpu usage issues with 1080i, 720p worked, i dropped ONLY the decoder file back to 9.02 and now its sort of acceptable, all 720p is fine, and 1080i now works, and it less glitchy, it basically looks like a computer playing a wmv9 file when its not fast enuff to decode it. it's prolly playing about 75% of the frames. you really notice it when the screen is scrolling by, like a football kickoff, or any camera pan. but the audio doesnt really hiccup so its watchable. so 720p great, 1080i dont work right. these are all the orlando florida stations im watching, im all 90+ % signal with all towers in same spot 20 miles away, i have the wonder antenna mounted on my roof. with a 50 foot rg6 cable.
digitalmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 09:18 PM   #523
halcy
Radeon R100

halcy is still being judged by the masses

I've noticed that when watching HDTV every couple minutes ATI's player will seem like it's re-detecting the format being broadcast and in the upper right corner itll show 1080i or 720p for a second and everything will hiccup, ive got nearly full signal as im only 10 miles from the broadcast points... anyone else getting something similar to this?

Also wondering if there is anyway to record the full digital sound (sometimes broadcast in dolby digital), and the full size video (1080i or 720p) into an XVID? I recorded an hour of CSI at 1080i and ATI's .vhq or whatever file it is was only around 500 meg that seems pretty low for an hour of 1080i... thoughts?

Thanks!
halcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 09:24 PM   #524
Inkog

Inkog is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcy
I've noticed that when watching HDTV every couple minutes ATI's player will seem like it's re-detecting the format being broadcast and in the upper right corner itll show 1080i or 720p for a second and everything will hiccup, ive got nearly full signal as im only 10 miles from the broadcast points... anyone else getting something similar to this?
Yes, I get the same "re-detecting" about every 10 min or so. Bugs me somewhat also, but it does not affect my recordings.
Inkog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 09:45 PM   #525
halcy
Radeon R100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkog
Yes, I get the same "re-detecting" about every 10 min or so. Bugs me somewhat also, but it does not affect my recordings.
I wish I could say the same, when I looked at my recording it had effected my recording.. there were slight pauses and jerks in the spots where it did the redetecting...
Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:07 PM   #526
Chris000001
Radeon R200

Chris000001 is still being judged by the masses

It happens every 5 minutes for me. I've uninstalled everything but my network trying to fix it. That'll be the next thing I'll try. If it works I'll let you all know, but I don't think that's the problem.

Some specs for in case we all have something in common:
P4 3.0 HT prescott (LGA775)
Gigabyte 8i915p duo pro (rev 1.1) motherboard
c-media 9880 integrated audio
ati x700 pro
1 GB (2x512MB) ddr2-533
2 sata 80 gig hitachi-raid 0
2 ide 120 gig western digital-raid 0

I disabled my network, it didn't help.

9.02 works fine.

Last edited by Chris000001 : Jan 3, 2005 at 06:09 AM.
Chris000001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:36 PM   #527
digital_one

That's a bug with the new MMC 9.03, it didn't happen with 9.02
Old Jan 3, 2005, 12:41 AM   #528
halcy
Radeon R100

They need to get that crap fixed they've had over a month since the last release...

Has anyone been able to transcode ati's files into XVID preserving the Dolby Digital encoding? Also wtf is up with their playback library not having the option of digital passthru?
Old Jan 3, 2005, 01:09 AM   #529
Melted Rabbit
Radeon R300

Location: Lord Howe Island Olympus Mons, Independent Republic of Mars
Melted Rabbit is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerbocker
Guys I have a problem here in the twin cities where I tune in 5-1 and 5-2, easylook freezes and wont change channels....this only happens with the channels listed. Why is this happening?
Yeah, you aren't the only one with problems with channel 5-1 and 5-2 with the HDTV wonder in the twin cities. The DTV app will lock up and refuse to respond when I try to tune these stations. I end up having to end task and restart DTV. Thus far I have been unable to fix the problem. I am a ways away from considering calling KSTP, but I guess we will see though.
Melted Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 06:20 PM   #530
terpfan1980

terpfan1980 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmn
how did you turn off your tv on demand? i would really like to know how.
That's just it, I really don't know how I did it. I think it was during the install/initialization process when I turned off the option for "Preserve TV On Demand sessions...." or some such box, but I really don't know for sure.

I wound up doing an ATI Software Uninstall followed by re-installing everything, and that finally got me working again. TV on Demand is working again, though I'm still miffed that ATI (or whomever they are contracting with) hasn't fixed the Guide+ s/w so that it feeds into the "whats on now" info so I can really see what is on and better yet, schedule a recording in a non-manual way. Argh.
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:49 PM   #531
digitalmn

digitalmn is still being judged by the masses

Default detect

Quote:

Also wondering if there is anyway to record the full digital sound (sometimes broadcast in dolby digital), and the full size video (1080i or 720p) into an XVID? I recorded an hour of CSI at 1080i and ATI's .vhq or whatever file it is was only around 500 meg that seems pretty low for an hour of 1080i... thoughts?

Thanks!
yep 9.03 gave me that same thing every few mins it seemed, drove me nuts, same with my other glitches it was removed by just installing only the 9.02 decoder.

on a side note the Orlando Florida PBS channel is working again. and i still gained the WB18. things are looking better for me, just need to remove the endless stuttering on all 1080I channels and id be happy.
digitalmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 01:52 PM   #532
Andrew 1961
Radeon R420

Quote:
They need to get that crap fixed they've had over a month since the last release...

Has anyone been able to transcode ati's files into XVID preserving the Dolby Digital encoding? Also wtf is up with their playback library not having the option of digital passthru?
I thought the Pass Thru was supposed to work -- it does! First, you have to have recorded a station WITH DolbyDigital audio. Then, I had to play around with the Audio Tab on FilePlayer WHILE one of those DD programs was playing back. First time it gave me a C++ error and shut down, but when I reopened the file via the Library the setting had remained and DD audio was, in fact, passing to my Yamaha 995 audio receiver via SPDIF.

Do you have a local broadcaster that DD shows on your audio receiver?
ATi AIW 9600 XT; KD7-RAID; HDTV-Wonder; 2x 512MB Kingston ValuRam; AMD 2500+ (OC'd to 3100+) w/retail HSF; Antec TruPower 430; 5 case fans (2x 80mm exhaust driven by PS & 1 slot fan, 80mm & 120mm intake); WD 80GB; 2x WD 250GB RAID-0; 2x WD 160GB RAID-0; 2x WD 250GB; LiteON DVD-ROM on USB2; LiteON DVD D/L R/W; ATi Remote Wonder II, Electro-Home TiRA2
Old Jan 5, 2005, 04:03 AM   #533
PimpDawg

PimpDawg is still being judged by the masses

Hey guys,
Wow, this card has some of the worse drivers ever. After a reformat and numerous attempts at installing the card it has finally worked for me out of nowhere kinda...
I'm currently using the newest drivers off ATI's site which has MMC 9.03.
I have a BFG 6800GT OC running driver ver 66.81. 66.93 made my full screen media play weird so i stuck with 66.81. I have a fresh copy of XP with SP2 installed.
The problem I'm getting is that after about a minute of watching tv with mmc, it locks up. I have to ctrl+alt+del and kill it then restart and have the same thing happen again. Anybody have a clue what could be going wrong?
I'm just so happy to get everything finally installed properly that I dont want to mess up the actual install of it. But if it keeps on freezing on me then its pretty useless as well.
I might just break down and get MCE 2005 since it has a pvr for hdtv but that would mean I'd have to buy an analog tuner like the 150MCE which is another $70.
PimpDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 07:40 AM   #534
tristancarton
Radeon Sea Islands

tristancarton is still being judged by the masses

I thought I was the only one. Nice to know other people are having this problem as well. Make sure all of you having this problem send a problem report into ati on the issue.

Lastly digital mm, I think you stated that by installing the 9.02 decoder with the 9.03 multimedia center the problem is fixed. Is this correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris000001
It happens every 5 minutes for me. I've uninstalled everything but my network trying to fix it. That'll be the next thing I'll try. If it works I'll let you all know, but I don't think that's the problem.

Some specs for in case we all have something in common:
P4 3.0 HT prescott (LGA775)
Gigabyte 8i915p duo pro (rev 1.1) motherboard
c-media 9880 integrated audio
ati x700 pro
1 GB (2x512MB) ddr2-533
2 sata 80 gig hitachi-raid 0
2 ide 120 gig western digital-raid 0

I disabled my network, it didn't help.

9.02 works fine.
Primary: dfi ut250gb / a64 mobile 3400 62w clawhammer / 3x512mb pdp xbl tccd / WD 120Gb 7200 8Mb x2, RAID0 / 250Gb WD 7200 8Mb external / Sound Blaster 2 ZS Plat. / HDTV Wonder / 2xTheater 550 pro / Pioneer dvr105 / Pioneer dvd115 / Visiontek x800xt / Antec 550w Truepower / Logitech z680 / IBM p260 21" FD Trinitron x2 / Windows XP-MCE2005, Legal Version

Secondary: dell xps m170 / 2.0 Ghz pentium-m / 1024mb / 120Gb 5400rpm / 7800 gtx go / 1920x1200 trubrite
tristancarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 03:56 PM   #535
Andrew 1961
Radeon R420

So what video card are you all using/finding works well?

I'm trying to assess my system's performance bottleneck. I recorded Leno the other night just fine in Native, but there are times when it just stutters and chops that I can't figure out why. I found that by placing the DTV into Pause my CPU usage drops from 37% to <6% but playback quality is not reliable. It could be the video card, but I've not decided for sure -- that's why I'd like to know what you all are using.

I'd like to stick with the ATi and am considering a 9600 Pro -- what do you think?
Old Jan 6, 2005, 06:50 PM   #536
PoolShark

PoolShark is still being judged by the masses

^^

DTV is Is using a lot of system resources, your OC might not be able to deal with it.

The Vid card doesn't have a lot to do with your HDTV wonder performance, its more of a CPU and R/W with your disks dependent peice of hardware. I don't know how well the record option works for everyone else in DTV, but I basically can't use it. I find that Preserving the TV on Demand is the only reliable way to record DTV. Which makes scheduling impossible, but I can't do that anyway since I'm using a SATA array and MMC is to backwards to recognize a not so recent hardware development.
PoolShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 09:52 PM   #537
nanjil3

nanjil3 is still being judged by the masses

Default mmc 9.03 in hdtv wonder - no recording in regular tv

hello:

i installed mmc 9.03 for hdtv wonder. now the rcording is grayed out in regukar tv. any clues?
nanjil3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:46 PM   #538
fnord185

fnord185 is still being judged by the masses

Angry 2nd HDTV card going back..

When this card first came out I bought it and tried for a week to get it working. I ended up returning it.

I foolishly thought than in the past 6 months maybe ATI would have gotten their act together enough for the card to work in my system. I've read a majority of the posts here and tried just about everything--short of reinstalling windows which was beyond my pain threshold.

What a frustrating problem. It seems like such a decent idea and has good features on the card but I just can't make it work. My current problems include no analog tv at all (even though I tried the path ENV fix) and the DTV barely functions at all. The only way I seem to be able to get picture and sound is by continually screwing around with the audio settings. That lasts only until I change channels.

I made the mistake of waiting on hold with ATI today for an hour. Never talked to a tech. Can't wait to get that phone bill.

My configuration:

P4 2.8
Win XP Sp2
Nvidia 6800GT
Asus IC7-G (with this combo, you need to set AGP to 64 Megs in bios for the graphics card and HDTV card to not conflict on boot)
9.03 version of all the ATI crappy software.

Anyway, I doubt this will help anyone but if it saves someone from wasting a weekend on this thing it'll make me feel a little better.

Fnord

Last edited by fnord185 : Jan 17, 2005 at 05:53 PM.
fnord185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 03:04 PM   #539
Cypher87

Cypher87 is still being judged by the masses

Don't waste you time - getting the thing to work with nvidia Geforcw series is like getting blood from a stone. I ended up builting an entire SECOND system based on a Radeon 9800 just so I could use it. I have no problems when using it with the Radeon 9800 - tons of problems with the GeForce 6600. You can fool with it all weekend and, after many hours of frustration, you might be able to get it to work to some degree, but not completely. Also - do NOT use the 9.03 drivers, they do not work AT ALL with the GeForce 6600 (from my experience). It worked best by downloading and installing all the latest drivers except MMC 9.03 - use 9.02.

Last edited by Cypher87 : Jan 17, 2005 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Added Info
Cypher87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 03:49 PM   #540
PGHammer
This Olde (AGP) PC

PGHammer is still being judged by the masses

Default It is *not* a national PBS issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiguy411

Thanks!
I do *not* have that problem with WETA-DT (HD primary, three SD secondaries), and never have.

Oddly enough, I actually have the HDTV Wonder working in XP SP2 with the 8500DV (no, I'm not joking, so get your jaw off the carpet). The AIW 9700 Pro is being RMAed (cooling fan literally fell off), so I have the 8500DV temporarily back in the system. A channel rescan picked up both cable and OTA channels (the other input on the HDTV Wonder is not in use), so I sense a *tuner conflict* is why there are issues with the 8500DV; this AIW is the only one with a non-Philips tuner (instead, it uses the digital MicroTune MT-2032)). Display of known HD channels with PSIP *does* work.
2 GB DDR2-800 (1 GB Corsair CL5 x2)
200 GB MAXTOR DiamondMax SATA
ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCIe
ATI HDTV Wonder (still going strong)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Windows 7 x64
openSuSE 11.1
PGHammer is offline   Reply With Quote