Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support » AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

Old Dec 16, 2004, 07:07 AM   #481
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
PGHammer
This Olde (AGP) PC

PGHammer is still being judged by the masses

ATI Technologies HDTV Wonder and XP MCE 2K5: YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancarton
Gary,
Guide Plus doesn't support the hdtv portion of the hdtv wonder right now. I do believe that windows media center 2005 does though.(supposedly mce 2005 works much better than mmc at support and picture of the hdtv wonder)

For some odd reason ati has yet to implement the software downmixing options for 6 speaker systems. I would guess they just don't want to spend money on each dd5.1 decoder license they would have to implement with this. If your soundcard supports dd hardware decoding you can pasthrough to it and have the soundcard downmix.(that is what i do with my cards) Although I have to turn my dx sound acc to basic to get the passthrough to work right. If it doesn't you are stuck with dolby pro logic.

MEC 2K5's guide *does* work with the HDTV Wonder (personally tested and proven). It takes a modified version of the ATI MCE Software Decode Kit to use an HDTV Wonder and an AIW in the same system, though (stop by http://www.xpmce.com for details and several posts from me on the subject).

Regardless of which Windows XP I've run, I've always had my A2ZS handle all DD decoding chores (speakers are Creative Inspire 5300s). In fact, after I buy a *much* bigger HD, I'll be putting MCE 2K5 back on this box (I went temporarily back to XP Pro SP2 for other reasons, not because of any issues with MCE 2K5 itself). My big quibble (yes, I said *quibble*) is t6hat there is no way to detect a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal is present in either Media Center or ATI's DTV (or even in ATI DVD for that matter).
2 GB DDR2-800 (1 GB Corsair CL5 x2)
200 GB MAXTOR DiamondMax SATA
ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCIe
ATI HDTV Wonder (still going strong)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Windows 7 x64
openSuSE 11.1
PGHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 01:44 AM   #482
LegolasX21E

LegolasX21E is still being judged by the masses

Thanks Tristan and Grog, I guess im gonna need a new mobo processor combo. Any suggestions for a good mobo CPU combo for the HDTV Wonder? Spending $200 max
LegolasX21E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 03:20 PM   #483
tristancarton
Radeon Sea Islands

tristancarton is still being judged by the masses

you are going to have to buy a cpu/motherboard/memory combo due to most of the newer processor not using sdram.(what your celeron uses)

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4296754
and then this
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-219&depa=0

this is a good deal on a cheap upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegolasX21E
Thanks Tristan and Grog, I guess im gonna need a new mobo processor combo. Any suggestions for a good mobo CPU combo for the HDTV Wonder? Spending $200 max
Primary: dfi ut250gb / a64 mobile 3400 62w clawhammer / 3x512mb pdp xbl tccd / WD 120Gb 7200 8Mb x2, RAID0 / 250Gb WD 7200 8Mb external / Sound Blaster 2 ZS Plat. / HDTV Wonder / 2xTheater 550 pro / Pioneer dvr105 / Pioneer dvd115 / Visiontek x800xt / Antec 550w Truepower / Logitech z680 / IBM p260 21" FD Trinitron x2 / Windows XP-MCE2005, Legal Version

Secondary: dell xps m170 / 2.0 Ghz pentium-m / 1024mb / 120Gb 5400rpm / 7800 gtx go / 1920x1200 trubrite
tristancarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:29 PM   #484
PoolShark

PoolShark is still being judged by the masses

I shouldn't have reinstalled, because now the analog TV will not start.

I really only want to use it for analog signal however every time I have it somewhat installed I go to run the TV program and it says that it's "UNABLE TO START TV" I had it running a while back before the fresh install.

in the settings it has a tab that allows you to select your capture source however it comes out as "No Default" and Driver "unsupported" which after I've tried almost everything on ATI's website I haven't had any luck. Their website says that it's a Multimedia Setup Problem that I was to uninstall their software and reinstall it but that does nothing. It doesn't seem to see the capture card in their software. But it has installed all 5 devices that it should in the hardware devices with no apparent errors. I've moved the PCI cards around, attempted reinstalling software drivers and MB BIOS is up to date. Nothing has worked so far. I'm just throwing this out here to see if anyone else has ever had this problem and could help.

edit: I've tried MMC 9.0 - 9.03
PoolShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:13 PM   #485
digital_one

digital_one is still being judged by the masses

Same thing is happening on a freshly new XP install, the analog WDM capture is not showing up in the configuration, but is showing fine (no yellow question marks) in the Device Manager. Digital Tuner works.
This is with the WHQL 4.12 Catalyst, before I had the Beta 4.12 and it was working fine.
digital_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:19 PM   #486
PoolShark

^^

I've seen a few posts in this thread and forum concerning this, but no solutions. Hopefully someone will share.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:15 AM   #487
grog
No longer on Rage3d

grog is still being judged by the masses

Go into the device manager and delete the items.
On reboot the items should be found and configured as required.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_one
Same thing is happening on a freshly new XP install, the analog WDM capture is not showing up in the configuration, but is showing fine (no yellow question marks) in the Device Manager. Digital Tuner works.
This is with the WHQL 4.12 Catalyst, before I had the Beta 4.12 and it was working fine.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:05 AM   #488
digital_one

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog
Go into the device manager and delete the items.
On reboot the items should be found and configured as required.

Greg
Yes in device manager they are found and are working, but not in any analog capture software (virtualdub, etc). Also in MMC configuration TV, TV capture source only option is NO default Driver (unsupported).
Old Dec 19, 2004, 04:08 PM   #489
Inkog

Inkog is still being judged by the masses

add this entry to your path variable:

;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers

your TV should start fine after this, provided the drivers are installed properly.
Inkog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 09:57 PM   #490
PoolShark

Its odd that when running File Monitor to try and debug this:

MMc will look for varius driver componets and report them not found. These driver componets are right where they should be. I have no idea why MMC can't find them. I also have no idea why on a fresh install with everything up to date this would happen. Perhaps I will just whipe it again and start fresh.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:48 AM   #491
SpecTP
Radeon R600

SpecTP is still being judged by the masses

I ran into this problem as well. I haven't figured out what's causing it except that I did narrow it down to some conflict with XP SP2. I've deleted my OS partition and reinstalled XP over a dozen time to try and isolate the problem. I've settled on using XP SP1 and 9.03. Maybe when I get a few days free, I'll try reinstalling SP2 and try to see if the tv tuner will still work. In any case, try not installing SP2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolShark

I really only want to use it for analog signal however every time I have it somewhat installed I go to run the TV program and it says that it's "UNABLE TO START TV" I had it running a while back before the fresh install.

in the settings it has a tab that allows you to select your capture source however it comes out as "No Default" and Driver "unsupported" which after I've tried almost everything on ATI's website I haven't had any luck. Their website says that it's a Multimedia Setup Problem that I was to uninstall their software and reinstall it but that does nothing. It doesn't seem to see the capture card in their software. But it has installed all 5 devices that it should in the hardware devices with no apparent errors. I've moved the PCI cards around, attempted reinstalling software drivers and MB BIOS is up to date. Nothing has worked so far. I'm just throwing this out here to see if anyone else has ever had this problem and could help.

GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z87 - i7-4770K | 2x4Gb G.Skill PC16800 DDR3| XFX R9 290 (Cat14.12) | Asus PB278Q | 128Gb OCZ Agility3 SSD | 240Gb Samsung EVO SSD| Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB | Fractal Design R4 | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 | Samsung SH-B123L BD/DVD/RW | W8.1

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 - i7-2600K | 4x4Gb G.Skill PC16800 DDR3| Sapphire HD 7970 (Cat14.12) | BenQ XL2720T | 2x 128Gb OCZ Agility3 SSD | 2TB WD Caviar | Antec Lanboy | Corsair H60 w/S-Flex 120x25 F fans | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 950 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Samsung SH-B123L BD/DVD/RW | W7 Ult

Gigabyte EP45-UD3 - Q9550 oc 4.0 | 2x2Gb OCZ Reaper 8500 DDR2 | Sapphire 6970 (Cat13.6b2)| Dell 2407WFP | 74Gb WD Raptor | 500Gb WD SE16 | 1Tb Seagate | Thermalright XP-90C w/Delta 92x25 3-blade fan | Corsair 650TW | CM 690 case| Creative X-Fi Platinum | Liteon 165H6s DVDRW | WinXP Pro SP3
SpecTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 01:18 PM   #492
digital_one

This worked for me for MMC 9.03 Analog Capture,

Path :

;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers

Thanks

Last edited by digital_one : Dec 20, 2004 at 01:24 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 06:50 PM   #493
atiisasob

atiisasob is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolShark

PoolShark, I noticed that you ran into the same exact problems as I have with this HDTV wonder card.
I have an X800 Pro built by Ati card with the newest 4.12 drivers. After installing each new Hdtv wonder driver in order, i can only get the DTV to work and not the analog. I receive the same message as you when trying to open TV.
Also, i used to be able to receive channels 7-1 and 7-2 which are the ABC afilliates in my area (S.F.) This is the only channel that doesn't come through.
After doing Ati's pc-check, it thinks that i dont have a Radeon card installed, and that direct x 9.0 is not installed correctly. Wierd as hell. This is with a clean install of XP and all updates.

MSI K8N Neo 2 Plat, Athlon 3200+ @ 2.4, 2 X 256 OCZ REV 2, X800 Pro, 200GB Maxtor SATA

Is this a driver issue with the Nvidia chipset? I noticed that when installing Nvidias IDE drivers, these caused error messages when starting DTV and also with DVD playback. Avoiding installing these eliminated these problems. BTW, i installed this card with another MSI 939 board, Via K8t Neo 2 FIR. Everything worked fine on this board. Kinda sux cause the Nforce chipset killed Vias in so many benchmarks on a number of reviews which is why i made the switch.
So i was hoping that there may be a solution if anyone has encountered these probs on a similar rig. I would also like to know if the path variable entry solved these issues.
atiisasob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 07:47 PM   #494
banshee740

banshee740 is still being judged by the masses

Default HDTV Wonder and TV Wonder Pro

Can I have both cards installed at the same time?

I love the HDTV Wonder after reading several posts with screenshots. However I would also like to have a card that supports Dscaler for regular TV.
banshee740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:49 PM   #495
digital_one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttriplett
Poolshark, I have the same problem with my local PBS which I think is 1080i. It used to work fine but I think my problem started when I upgraded to the lastest drivers/software off the ATI website.

Guys, could this be a decoder problem?
Same problem here in south florida with the PBS station, I get 91% signal strength but no video or audio. I think it has to do with the station PSIP.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:22 PM   #496
ttriplett

ttriplett is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_one
Same problem here in south florida with the PBS station, I get 91% signal strength but no video or audio. I think it has to do with the station PSIP.
You may be right. Did yours used to work and then stop? Can you receive other channels that multicast besides PBS?
ttriplett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:41 AM   #497
digital_one

Yes I can receive other channels including local PBS in West Palm Beach, but the PBS from Miami has this problem. I kind of solved this, the station remaps the channel as 2-1,2-2,2-3,and 2-4 when I do a scan, but if I do a add a new channel and choose the 18 (which is the real channel frequency according to http://www.hdtvpub.com) the signal is excellent with 91% strength.
Other people in avsforum get the channel ok with an OTA Receiver, it has to be the way they map the channel.
This is the first since I put an outside antenna to get the Miami station since I'm in West Palm Beach.

I can only enter manually 18-1, but I don't know how to make 18-2,18-3 and 18-3. I tried playing with the windows registry entry of ATI Multimedia but with no luck.

Last edited by digital_one : Dec 23, 2004 at 12:43 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 04:38 PM   #498
PoolShark

In regard to all my problems:

"No 1080i channels" has been solved by kicking my pc. I have informed ATI of this fix, and expect it to show up in their knowledge base shortly.

"No analog TV" has been solved by ATI HDTV Guru "Grog"

As for the " DMA Warning Box" it will not go away <= Please help

Last edited by PoolShark : Dec 24, 2004 at 04:42 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 10:45 AM   #499
jliger99
Radeon R200

jliger99 is still being judged by the masses

Can someone recommend an indoor HDTV antenna? I'm one of the lucky ones, in that the hardware and software seem to be working well for me. My problem is that I can't seem to get ANY signal for the DTV whatsoever (analog works great).

I suspect an amplified antenna would probably work well...
Old Dec 25, 2004, 03:06 PM   #500
Monte
Radeon R200

Monte is still being judged by the masses

I installed the HDTV Wonder into a new XP Pro machine. Had the DTV could not initialze problem. I did the instructions on the website to install that one program first and then the others and now it works.

So far when I run DTV it is always recording for the live television pausing feature. So far I tried it with 9.01 which came on the CD. Is there a way to disable that if newer versions don't change that automatically? I don't need to have a constant recording stream. I just want to watch stuff and record when I want to record.

BTW I am running it on my Shuttle mini computer on a get this
AMD 650MHZ CPU
256MB RAM
On Board Pro Savage video card with 32 MB of video RAM that is shared with system RAM
Also an ancient 2GB WD hard drive.

So it runs on old stuff. just choppy

Last edited by Monte : Dec 25, 2004 at 03:12 PM.
Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 03:20 PM   #501
tristancarton
Radeon Sea Islands

tristancarton is still being judged by the masses

wow. you actually are getting decent watchable high def with a 650 mhz cpu, onboard videocard, and 256 of ram?

about the constant recording stream. no you can't disable it at the current point in ati's drivers and no one has figured out to "hack" disable it yet. however you can turn it down to only 5 minutes in the initialization menu. you aren't the only one complaining about this however it may fall on deaf ears at ati due to the way they implemented the decoding in this product.(software with a delay as opposed to hardware realtime)
Primary: dfi ut250gb / a64 mobile 3400 62w clawhammer / 3x512mb pdp xbl tccd / WD 120Gb 7200 8Mb x2, RAID0 / 250Gb WD 7200 8Mb external / Sound Blaster 2 ZS Plat. / HDTV Wonder / 2xTheater 550 pro / Pioneer dvr105 / Pioneer dvd115 / Visiontek x800xt / Antec 550w Truepower / Logitech z680 / IBM p260 21" FD Trinitron x2 / Windows XP-MCE2005, Legal Version

Secondary: dell xps m170 / 2.0 Ghz pentium-m / 1024mb / 120Gb 5400rpm / 7800 gtx go / 1920x1200 trubrite
tristancarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 03:50 PM   #502
Monte
Radeon R200

I'm only getting free over the air stuff so I have to wait for something good to come on to actually see if it's decent. Right now only 480i stuff is airing. I'll see if setting to 5minutes helps because there's no room on the 2gb drive. But it works and that's the big thing.

I just tried 9.03 and no good.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 04:45 AM   #503
Monte
Radeon R200

Okay what a hassle. I tried going back to 9.01 and DTV didn't work. I tried a lot of stuff, but probably the one thing that would have worked. I reinstalled XP+SP1 and got it all installed and still didn't work. Then I reinstalled DTV Decoder or whatever it was on the faq. Not the first method, but the second one. Weird how I had to do it a different way on the same machine.

So now I got it back to working here's what I found out. Only the 480i channels show up. The other channels I can hear and record. The 480i channels look about as good as my AIW 9600xt. The Analog tuner looks maybe as good as my USB 2.0 Wonder. Neither are as good as my AIW. I can record the 1080 and 720 channels and watch the recordings, but they are choppy as hell. So my attempt to make just something to watch HDTV didn't go quite as well as I had hoped. I'm guessing putting in a DirectX 9 compliant video card and faster CPU would fix it all, but well that's not the point.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 08:29 AM   #504
nanjil3

nanjil3 is still being judged by the masses

Angry problems with mmc 9.03

hello:

I checked my installation and foudn that I had all teh requirements (i.e latest hdtv decoder etc) for mmc 9.03. So I installed 9.03 wihtout uninstalling 9.02. This time 9.03 installed wihtout complaining and without forcing me uninstall 9.02 first! huuray!! yes ?!!

Now problems. The dtv splash screen still said 9.02. (while regular tv splashed 9.03). But then I found this new digital video recorder tab under settings. However only one setting "native" seemed to work "properly" if at all. If I switch to any other settings I get garbage noise for sound. Even the "native" recodings ply only the ati player. The windows media player plays it for a while and crashes.

did anybody see this? In thsi case I rather wish I had kept the 9.02 (knowing ati I am sure I won't be able to go back!)
nanjil3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 05:08 PM   #505
grog
No longer on Rage3d

DTV should show 9.03 as well.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanjil3
hello:

I checked my installation and foudn that I had all teh requirements (i.e latest hdtv decoder etc) for mmc 9.03. So I installed 9.03 wihtout uninstalling 9.02. This time 9.03 installed wihtout complaining and without forcing me uninstall 9.02 first! huuray!! yes ?!!

Now problems. The dtv splash screen still said 9.02. (while regular tv splashed 9.03). But then I found this new digital video recorder tab under settings. However only one setting "native" seemed to work "properly" if at all. If I switch to any other settings I get garbage noise for sound. Even the "native" recodings ply only the ati player. The windows media player plays it for a while and crashes.

did anybody see this? In thsi case I rather wish I had kept the 9.02 (knowing ati I am sure I won't be able to go back!)
Old Dec 26, 2004, 06:59 PM   #506
Monte
Radeon R200

So I put the card into my Windows 2000 computer. I installed the drivers and reinstalled 9.03 Everything ran, but DTV could not scan the channels. Crashed everytime about 30% of the way through. Installed 9.01 from the CD and everything works. Not sure what the big difference between the two are. I'll probably try 9.02 later.

So far I'd say the quality is okay. My AIW is pretty good so the HDTV shows I have seen so far aren't really worth the small upgrade in quality. I'm using the antenna and not a dish or anything fancy. Jeopardy in DTV isn't any more exciting.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 01:08 AM   #507
Monte
Radeon R200

9.02 seems to work. Getting the bug where the DTV control shows the wrong one. IE the windowed mode control shows in Full screen mode and vice versa.

Getting jerky video, but that appears to be due to getting at best 66% signal strength 99% of the time. Might help with a better antenna.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 08:22 AM   #508
jliger99
Radeon R200

jliger99 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliger99
Can someone recommend an indoor HDTV antenna? I'm one of the lucky ones, in that the hardware and software seem to be working well for me. My problem is that I can't seem to get ANY signal for the DTV whatsoever (analog works great).

I suspect an amplified antenna would probably work well...
Never mind. I went to www.antenna.org, and it turns out that I need a roof-mounted antenna where I live, so until I can convince my wife, I'm left with just the analog...
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:15 AM   #509
terpfan1980

terpfan1980 is still being judged by the masses

Somehow during installation or soon after, I found a way to turn off "TV on demand" for my HDTV Wonder.

I'd like to go back and turn it back on, as I resolved the earlier problems (signal strength wasn't high enough) that were keeping me from getting stutter free HDTV on my system.

How do I get TV-on-demand streaming enabled again?

Also, I think I know the answer to this (which should become part of an FAQ at ATI's site darn-it!), but is there no way to use the "Whats on now" feature with the HDTV wonder because the Guide+ data doesn't work for the HDTV wonder?

I saw the earlier note about MCE's guide data working, and may go that route, but wasn't sure about that either.
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:17 AM   #510
grog
No longer on Rage3d

You could try my cheap method.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost...&postcount=274

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliger99
Never mind. I went to www.antenna.org, and it turns out that I need a roof-mounted antenna where I live, so until I can convince my wife, I'm left with just the analog...