Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support » AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

Old Oct 17, 2004, 01:21 PM   #361
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Skid
Radeon R300

Skid is still being judged by the masses

My local NBC affiliate broadcasts digital SD upconverted to 1080i in 16:9 widescreen. It's not true HD, but looks noticeably better than their normal stretched 480i feed.
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2004, 04:14 PM   #362
grog
No longer on Rage3d

grog is still being judged by the masses

ATI Technologies Export required

The .vcr files are not playable by anything other than the library.
You have to save the file in HD MPEG format if you want to watch the content as it was originally recorded.

Export DTV recording using Library

Just export with full DTV resolution

Select were to place the new MPEG file

Export is quick but may take some time with a large capture.

Now we can play the file.

Display size is set to 50% in this example.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid
Went through two aborted installs, one clean with new files, one clean with CD. The first claimed it couldn't find the hardware, the second blue screened and I couldn't load Windows until I did a system restore.

Finally got the new files to go on by deleting all the yellow exclamation points in device manager and pointing Windows to the WDM drivers on reboot.

ATI really should be ashamed, I've been doing this dance with their drivers since my first Mach 64 card. Once the software installs, the cards work great.

On to my current problem. DTV reception is fine, and I can record manually with good results.

Last night I recorded all four hours of the NASCAR race. This morning I find 18 gigs of .vcr files in my MMC folder, and the library contains an entry for "NBC12 HD Movie" corresponding to the start time.

But the player gives me an errors, saying the file can't be opened. In the MMC folder are numbered .vcr files. All are grayed out except the first, which is the smallest at 3kb. Double-clicking on any of them gives me an error.

Any suggestions on how to salvage or convert this recording?
Old Oct 17, 2004, 04:29 PM   #363
Skid
Radeon R300

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the file got corrupted somehow, it won't play and it's not giving me any export option.

I'll try again with today's Skins game.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 17, 2004, 08:12 PM   #364
bradk_1749

bradk_1749 is still being judged by the masses

Im very pleased with my purchase, and i love this card/remote to death.. the only problem is, I can't seem to get ABC.. The first night I was able to see Jimmy Kimmel Live, but now when I go to ABC( past 3 days ) I get a "no signal" read.. my attena arrangement changed, but i've rotated it in all directions and still don't get squat..

anyone else in Cincinnati?
bradk_1749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2004, 09:38 PM   #365
timgurnsey

timgurnsey is still being judged by the masses

Could someone send small sample?

Hey, I've been looking at getting one of these and would like to test to see what programs work with the HDTV file format (Like Nero and Vegas in particular). If anyone could send me a file like under 20mb or in increments of 20mb I would really appreciate it. If it has Dolby Digital 5.1 sound even better. I'm guessing most programs will accept normal 720x480 MPEG2 created from the ATI software so I'd like to try a larger one either from a 720p or 1080i stream if possible. Thanks alot everyone. I've looked over all the pages of this post and have learned alot about HDTV wonder.

timgurnseyATwalla.com
substitute @ for AT

THANKS
timgurnsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 12:26 PM   #366
Skid
Radeon R300

Funny, I'm having problems doing just that.

I have no "layout" button in Media Library, so I can't burn DVDs directly from the ATI software. I tried a manual install of AuthorScript from the SAS folder on the CD and get an "ATI card not found" error. Of course I have two of them in my PC, the HDTV Wonder and a Radeon 9700 Pro. Clean installs (and reinstalls) of the updated drivers and MMC don't give me the error, but no joy either.

Meanwhile Nero doesn't want to open or transcode my files when exported either as HD MPEG or High-Quality DVD.

Two questions:

Anybody know how to force the install of AuthorScript?

Are there simple directions for burning a DVD with Nero or a workaround for this file issue?
Old Oct 18, 2004, 02:28 PM   #367
doctj
Radeon R520

doctj is still being judged by the masses

Default dtv did not initialize

Still trying to install my hdtv without reformatting and I get the "dtv did not initialize". When I run system check it tells me the capture drivers are not installed but in device manager the capture drivers are listed with no yellow marks. Any ideas?

HTPC: Athlon XP 1500, MSI KT133A, 512 SDRAM, Samsung SD-816 DVD, Win2K SP4, All in Wonder Radeon 32 MB DDR- MMC 9.01, Remote Wonder, Chaintech 710 Infocus X1, Onkyo 770.
doctj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 07:56 PM   #368
grog
No longer on Rage3d

ATI Technologies

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4586.html

Code:
HDTV WONDER - DTV Player Failed to Initialize the Video error message

The information in this article applies to the following system 
configurations:

* HDTV WONDER
        * Windows XP
        * DTV Player

In certain environments, the following error may occur upon 
starting the DTV Player:

"DTV Player failed to initialize the video"

TV Player (running analog TV) is not affected.

It is believed that this issue occurs should Windows XP Service 
Pack 1 not be installed prior to the installation of software from 
the HDTV WONDER installation CD. 
It is highly recommended that Service Pack 1 be installed first. 
There is also a required DTV fix to address DTV Player that must 
be installed.

In addition, to allow for full functionality of the HDTV Wonder product, 
a DirectX 9.0 hardware compliant display card is required. For example, 
a RADEON 9500 series product or higher. Please check with your graphics
card manufacturer to confirm if your display card is DirectX 9.0 hardware
compliant.

Users have reported the following steps to correct this issue:

1. Ensure to upgrade to Windows XP Service Pack 1
       2. Uninstall ATI Multimedia Center from Add/Remove Programs
       3. Run the CUSTOM SETUP off of the installation CD, 
           and select ONLY the DTVQFE from the list. 
            Restart when prompted.
       4. Run the full install (EASY SETUP) from the installation CD.

* Install the DTV Decoder manually using the following steps:
              o Browse the CD to the Install\Decoder folder
              o Double click on the Setup file to start the install

INFO-BASE# 4586
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctj
Still trying to install my hdtv without reformatting and I get the "dtv did not initialize". When I run system check it tells me the capture drivers are not installed but in device manager the capture drivers are listed with no yellow marks. Any ideas?
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:32 PM   #369
Ominous1

Ominous1 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitslizer

also anyone find a fast MPEG2 transcoder ala DVD2one/dvdshrink(or rejig?) that work with the ATI's HDTV mpeg2 format? Most of the transcoder I tried tend to crash although it may have to do with the artificats problem I mention above? since Small(couple seconds) recording the exported to HDTV MPEG2 seem to get transcoded ok...
I convert all my shows into 720p Xvid using Xmpeg.

Last edited by Ominous1 : Oct 19, 2004 at 12:38 PM.
Ominous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 08:11 PM   #370
timgurnsey

timgurnsey is still being judged by the masses

16:9 and Dolby Digital 5.1

I have a couple brief questions that I've had trouble finding the answer to.

1. Is the 16:9 aspect ratio preserved when creating DVD file from ATI software? I read a review that said the software automatically converted to 4:3 but I thought someone said newer version of software fixed this.

2. Is Dolby Digital 5.1 sound preserved on HDTV recordings, DVDs burned from ATI software, and MPEGs exported from ATI software? I would like to have this original 5.1 sound on m home theater setup after burning my hdtv clips to DVD.

Thanks alot.
timgurnsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 03:32 PM   #371
doctj
Radeon R520

doctj is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog
http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4586.html

Code:
HDTV WONDER - DTV Player Failed to Initialize the Video error message

The information in this article applies to the following system 
configurations:

* HDTV WONDER
        * Windows XP
        * DTV Player

In certain environments, the following error may occur upon 
starting the DTV Player:

"DTV Player failed to initialize the video"

TV Player (running analog TV) is not affected.

It is believed that this issue occurs should Windows XP Service 
Pack 1 not be installed prior to the installation of software from 
the HDTV WONDER installation CD. 
It is highly recommended that Service Pack 1 be installed first. 
There is also a required DTV fix to address DTV Player that must 
be installed.

In addition, to allow for full functionality of the HDTV Wonder product, 
a DirectX 9.0 hardware compliant display card is required. For example, 
a RADEON 9500 series product or higher. Please check with your graphics
card manufacturer to confirm if your display card is DirectX 9.0 hardware
compliant.

1. Ensure to upgrade to Windows XP Service Pack 1
       2. Uninstall ATI Multimedia Center from Add/Remove Programs
       3. Run the CUSTOM SETUP off of the installation CD, 
           and select ONLY the DTVQFE from the list. 
            Restart when prompted.
       4. Run the full install (EASY SETUP) from the installation CD.

* Install the DTV Decoder manually using the following steps:
              o Browse the CD to the Install\Decoder folder
              o Double click on the Setup file to start the install

INFO-BASE# 4586
Greg
Tried that fix before I posted and it hasn't worked.

HTPC: Athlon XP 1500, MSI KT133A, 512 SDRAM, Samsung SD-816 DVD, Win2K SP4, All in Wonder Radeon 32 MB DDR- MMC 9.01, Remote Wonder, Chaintech 710 Infocus X1, Onkyo 770.
doctj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:17 AM   #372
digital_one

digital_one is still being judged by the masses

It's been 3 days of non-stop trying to get the HDTV Wonder to work. I was having freezes and crashing because of the High CPU (99%) due to MMC. I read somewhere else to use Catalyst 4.6. I tried it and now the CPU load is about 20% to 40%. Will check tonight to see if primetime HDTV runs smooth. I was using the latest CAT 4.10 which crash the system when a broadcast of 1080i would come on.

Here are my PC specs

Asus A7N8XE-Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
1GB in dual channel mode
Capture Drive (4 ATA133 Maxtors in Raid 0 mode)
Radeon 9800 pro video card
Windows XP sp2
digital_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 03:28 PM   #373
tjdmobile

tjdmobile is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up Finally works for me

Well, it has taken a full week of tweeking, system is finally working. Quick specs:

(Pretty modest system)

Intel 845GRG with P4 @ 1.8ghz
512 MB RAM
HD Wonder
GeForce 4/440MX (64 Megs AGP)
19" Monitor
New Aria "Cube" case

Only PCI in the system:
HDTV Wonder
VIA Firewire card

I will go over my experience which differs in some areas, but mimics other's experiences.

Started with a clean install.
Downloaded and installed latest "Nvidia" drivers. - Reboot
Popped HDTV card in and powered up. On logging in, allowed new hardware wizard to install correct drivers for PCI card from original CD.
Used the ATI installation CD in "advanced" mode. Loaded EVERYTHING.
Once system was finished with that (2 cups of coffee later), installed the 4 files provided on ATIs website (in order). Rebooted.

When things came back up, loaded DTV app. Like expected, it found all my channels (12). In the wizard, specified a 30 minute limit on the buffer. Selected the drive for that buffer, etc. Now the card works like a charm.

Okay, that sounded TOO easy, right? well that's just what I did after 2 days of pulling my hair out trying to install this thing. Being a long time ATI customer , I knew what to expect in terms of a nightmarish install. First things I did to reduce this:

1. Video card: Raise the performance quality in "properties" (mhz, of course!) - it's screamin for a 440.
2. MOST IMPORTANT!!!! Install 2nd hard drive: Exclusive hard drive on secondary IDE BY ITSELF. This is the drive I specify in my buffer settings. No matter how many ways I tried, video is choppy when it shares the hard drive with the system folders. Save yourself HOURS of headache, and make sure you place an isolated high speed hard drive on your system. I bet that well over 50% of you will reduce the choppiness. This is a trick from my old AIW, trying to capture AVI!

3. For the other 50%, there is something else wrong. Let me tell you a story about my ATI Video cards. I have an AIW Radeon (not even 7500, the original 7100 with ONLY 32MB DDR, by-the-way). Pop it in (with drivers on HDwonder CD), it works FINE! Purchased the Radeon 9600se from CC yesterday. Popped it in, screwed around with drivers for 2 hours (old, new, original, etc). No go. studdering like crazy. Couldn't get it to work to save my life. Well, put the Nvidia back in, back in heaven....good picture quality at 100%.

Now - realize that I don't get down that low in CPU Usage - while recording (well, anytime it's running), I am at 50% - 70%. Not bad (high enough that opening a new application "pauses" the Wonder. However, I can use the web with HDTV in the background in "medium" view. Additionally, the AIW Radeon is at about the same CPU speed, so I wonder if the card really makes that much of a difference? Like I said, the 9600se was choppy as heck, and still (again) around 70% CPU. Hmmm. All figures are for true 1080i res, not 480i

If I get bored, I might find out how it works in the old Duron 1ghz with 512 RAM. Rather - if I am insane enough to take it out of a working system!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

TJD

Last edited by tjdmobile : Oct 21, 2004 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Another thought...
tjdmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 02:34 AM   #374
Ominous1

Ominous1 is still being judged by the masses

I suggest using a RAID 0 setup to capture the video.
Ominous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 11:11 AM   #375
rbV5
Crossfire enabled

rbV5 is still being judged by the masses

I just got my MCE 2005 rig up and running. Now that its available publically, I thought I'd give it a shot.

My initial impression is that MCE 2005 seems very polished indeed. My AIW 9700pro tuner isn't supported out of the box (don't have the "encode" drivers, I hadn't intended to use the AIW, its awaiting the X800XT I have on order)

I'm using the HDTV Wonder and dual eHome Wonder cards (one with FM) and they are supported (windows update has the HDTV Patch). I use the YPbPr output to my Widescreen display where I run MCE (It works on the secondary screen fine...but you lose your mouse for the Primary screen (My CRT) big bummer here for using your PC and MCE at the same time)

So far I'm impressed. The PQ is very good both with HD, and the analog tuners (haven't tried the analog tuner on the HDTV Wonder yet however)
Gaming PC: XP MCE 2005:ATI X1800XT 512MB(x2):ASUS A8R-MVP:Sapphire Theatrix 550pro:ATI HDTV Wonder:AMD64 X2 [email protected]:2GB 3200 A-DATA Ram:NEC 3550a DVD burner:160GB Seagate SATA:200GB WD IDE:60GB Maxtor IDE:22" Mitsubishi CRT:17" analog Rosewill LCD:55" Philips RPTV:Logitech MX1000:Logitech z560:Sennheiser HD 212pro

Bedroom PC: XP MCE 2005:ATI X1800XL:MSI MS-7093 RS480M2:ATI eHome Wonder:ATI HDTV Wonder:1GB Kingmax PC3200 DDR:NEC 1300A DVD Burner:Viewsonic N2750w 27" LCD:Seagate 200.0 GB SATA:Logitech MX1000:Logitech X-530
rbV5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 03:06 PM   #376
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

Do you have any pics or screenshots?

Old Oct 22, 2004, 04:35 PM   #377
rbV5
Crossfire enabled

MCE 2005
Here's a shot of the Program Info page (check out the original air date!)
eHome Wonder(x2) + HDTV Wonder

Let me know if there's ashot you want to see specifically
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mason.JPG (30.5 KB, 319 views)
Gaming PC: XP MCE 2005:ATI X1800XT 512MB(x2):ASUS A8R-MVP:Sapphire Theatrix 550pro:ATI HDTV Wonder:AMD64 X2 [email protected]:2GB 3200 A-DATA Ram:NEC 3550a DVD burner:160GB Seagate SATA:200GB WD IDE:60GB Maxtor IDE:22" Mitsubishi CRT:17" analog Rosewill LCD:55" Philips RPTV:Logitech MX1000:Logitech z560:Sennheiser HD 212pro

Bedroom PC: XP MCE 2005:ATI X1800XL:MSI MS-7093 RS480M2:ATI eHome Wonder:ATI HDTV Wonder:1GB Kingmax PC3200 DDR:NEC 1300A DVD Burner:Viewsonic N2750w 27" LCD:Seagate 200.0 GB SATA:Logitech MX1000:Logitech X-530
Old Oct 22, 2004, 04:44 PM   #378
rbV5
Crossfire enabled

MCE 2005
Here's a shot of the Program Guide Showing SDTV and DTV listings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Program Guide.JPG (50.5 KB, 317 views)

Old Oct 22, 2004, 05:07 PM   #379
rbV5
Crossfire enabled

Got tuner? I do LOL

MCE 2005
Here's a shot of my backplate
AIW 9700pro + eHome Wonder(x2) + HDTV Wonder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tuners.JPG (42.7 KB, 320 views)

Old Oct 22, 2004, 05:10 PM   #380
rbV5
Crossfire enabled

Stacked tuners
Attached Images
File Type: jpg In the Case.JPG (71.7 KB, 312 views)

Old Oct 22, 2004, 07:31 PM   #381
grog
No longer on Rage3d

OMG

Great setup there....... Really great setup!!!!

OMG-OMG

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbV5
Stacked tuners
Old Oct 22, 2004, 07:53 PM   #382
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog
OMG

Great setup there....... Really great setup!!!!

OMG-OMG

Greg
Old Oct 22, 2004, 07:59 PM   #383
rbV5
Crossfire enabled

MCE 2005

Recording 2 analog + 1 digital at once. The DTV was SD however. I'll check my cpu use next time. All 3 recordings came out nice, good audio and in sync. The PQ is really nice even on the analog as well. The skip feature is great, it really works nice to blow through the commerials.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg record 3.JPG (14.5 KB, 303 views)

Old Oct 22, 2004, 08:12 PM   #384
rbV5
Crossfire enabled

Here's a screenshot from Cops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cops.JPG (26.4 KB, 292 views)

Old Oct 22, 2004, 08:20 PM   #385
rbV5
Crossfire enabled

Here's a screenshot from RealTV (these are the 3 that were recording together)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RealTV.JPG (24.0 KB, 288 views)

Old Oct 22, 2004, 08:21 PM   #386
tristancarton
Radeon Sea Islands

tristancarton is still being judged by the masses

Ehhh. You have 4 analog tuners and one hdtv tuner in your machine.(all ati!) lol. Amazing post rbv5. Decisions decisions decisions. (I get my 2000/xp/server2003 for free from my university but not mce 2005)

Any chance you could check to see if the analog part of the hdtv wonder works in mce 2005? Secondly I know you said a windows update for mce2005 gives support for the hdtv wonder. Did you install any ati hdtv drivers before the windows update?

BTW - Additional props for posting all of this.

Postscript - Additional, additional props for posting all of this.
Primary: dfi ut250gb / a64 mobile 3400 62w clawhammer / 3x512mb pdp xbl tccd / WD 120Gb 7200 8Mb x2, RAID0 / 250Gb WD 7200 8Mb external / Sound Blaster 2 ZS Plat. / HDTV Wonder / 2xTheater 550 pro / Pioneer dvr105 / Pioneer dvd115 / Visiontek x800xt / Antec 550w Truepower / Logitech z680 / IBM p260 21" FD Trinitron x2 / Windows XP-MCE2005, Legal Version

Secondary: dell xps m170 / 2.0 Ghz pentium-m / 1024mb / 120Gb 5400rpm / 7800 gtx go / 1920x1200 trubrite
tristancarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 08:42 PM   #387
rbV5
Crossfire enabled

Here's the shot from Anderson Cooper.
Quote:
Any chance you could check to see if the analog part of the hdtv wonder works in mce 2005? Secondly I know you said a windows update for mce2005 gives support for the hdtv wonder. Did you install any ati hdtv drivers before the windows update?
Yes, first when I booted up, I put the HDTV Wonder Install CD when it asked for drivers..then to Windows update. I'll test the analog tuner on HDTV Wonder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anderson Cooper.JPG (41.3 KB, 283 views)

Old Oct 22, 2004, 08:57 PM   #388
rbV5
Crossfire enabled

Alright. The analog tuner of the HDTV Wonder does not work with MCE, HOWEVER, both The analog tuner and the AIW tuners work with amcap!! (and I'm sure any other direct show application)

So basically, every tuner is up and running on my rig.

Old Oct 22, 2004, 09:36 PM   #389
tristancarton
Radeon Sea Islands

tristancarton is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbV5
Alright. The analog tuner of the HDTV Wonder does not work with MCE, HOWEVER, both The analog tuner and the AIW tuners work with amcap!! (and I'm sure any other direct show application) So basically, every tuner is up and running on my rig.
Answers on demand. I kind of like this. Thanks for checking this out for me. There may be another person on the block with mce2005, an hdtv wonder, and an ehome wonder in a few weeks. Again thanks.
Primary: dfi ut250gb / a64 mobile 3400 62w clawhammer / 3x512mb pdp xbl tccd / WD 120Gb 7200 8Mb x2, RAID0 / 250Gb WD 7200 8Mb external / Sound Blaster 2 ZS Plat. / HDTV Wonder / 2xTheater 550 pro / Pioneer dvr105 / Pioneer dvd115 / Visiontek x800xt / Antec 550w Truepower / Logitech z680 / IBM p260 21" FD Trinitron x2 / Windows XP-MCE2005, Legal Version

Secondary: dell xps m170 / 2.0 Ghz pentium-m / 1024mb / 120Gb 5400rpm / 7800 gtx go / 1920x1200 trubrite
tristancarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 08:37 AM   #390
rbV5
Crossfire enabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancarton
Answers on demand. I kind of like this. Thanks for checking this out for me. There may be another person on the block with mce2005, an hdtv wonder, and an ehome wonder in a few weeks. Again thanks.
I'd wait for the Theatrix, or another card with Theater 550 if I didn't already have the eHome wonder cards since they should be here soon. I did get one OEM and the other refurbed, so I've got about $110 US into both cards..not bad for 2 analog + FM tuners and they do work well however.

My 350watt enermax is doing quite well powering the whole thing I might add, I also have 3 hardrives and a NEC DVD Burner in the mix.