Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Sep 3, 2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
MadMartigan
Radeon Southern Islands

MadMartigan is still being judged by the masses

Default MMOFPS+Offset Engine + Tribes 1/2 lead designer = Firefall

Sounds awesome

link
Quote:
Duke Nuke Forever isn't the only long-in-development game being given a public showing at PAX Prime 2010 today. Developer Red 5 Studios, which launched five years ago, finally announced its game today. It's called FireFall and as we first reported a few weeks ago it is indeed an online team based first person shooter. The sci-fi themed game will be free to play with microtransactions available for purchasing optional in-game items.

FireFall takes place on Earth 200 years in the future where humans are fighting off the Melding, "a hostile energy storm that engulfs most of our home planet." Humans also have to deal with an opposing enemy called The Chosen. Players will be able to customize their characters and even swap and trade items on the fly. Fans of the Tribes game franchise might be interested to know that Scott Youngblood, the lead designer for Tribes 1 and 2 is now the lead designer for FireFall. The game is due for launch in late 2011 but sign ups to beta test the game are now being accepted on the game's official web site.

for more media (screens + videos) head to official website.

A scarab is captured; ink is released.
Life is taken; and Age is given

D`ni
MadMartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

OH, PLEASE BE GOOD!

Tribes was the best. Only a game like it could tear me away from TF2.

(I registered.)
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 06:36 PM   #3
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Love the style of the game. Definitely has the scale of tribes, but playing like tribes is a different story.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:16 PM   #4
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Wow, this could be freaking awesome, and may just knock Combat Arms off of the top of the F2P Fps list!!

The only down side i could see to this is the gun play, it looks a lot like the tribes/unreal style of weapons, which can be goode for sure, but i hope their are some quasi traditional projectile firearms too!

EDIT: after checking out the gameplay vid on the site, i now see it is more mmo than fps, and that there is both a fps and tps view which is cool. I am a little worried this will kill whats left of global agenda though, but at least it won't hurt combat arms.

I do find the lack of soft particles a bit weird though, i mean every single shot or video from project offset had them.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?

Last edited by theshadowcult : Sep 3, 2010 at 10:37 PM.
theshadowcult is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:39 PM   #5
Drift3r
Radeon R600

Drift3r is still being judged by the masses

Looks like global agenda mixed with badlands gameplay wise.
Drift3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Neoauld
Radeon R300

Neoauld is still being judged by the masses

I signed up, reminds me a bit of Global Agenda, hopefully they do better!
Neoauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:00 PM   #7
ALaz502
I listen to Slayer.

ALaz502 is still being judged by the masses

There's a lot of former blizzard employees on this one too.

Too me it looks like World of Warcraft + Tribes + Borderlands + Unreal Tournament 2004 mashed into one awesome game.
ALaz502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 03:40 AM   #8
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Did you see how large that map was in the game-play video

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 05:52 AM   #9
Jaws of Life
Radeon Evergreen

Jaws of Life is still being judged by the masses

I am definitely interested. If it's like BorderLands but with secure characters and more RPG element--like upgrades--it will be a a purchase from me.

However 2011, boo. >< Unless it's early 2011.
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-M Pro| CPU: Intel i5-2500 @ 3.3ghz : 8gb DDR3 Kingston RAM| VGA: Nvidia Gigabyte 896mb GTX260 | HDD: 2x640gb WE SATAII | Case: Thermaltake ARMOR | PSU: Coolmaster Silent Pro M700 | Sound: SB X-FI Xtreme | OS: Vista x64 SP2 Home Premium | Monitor: Black Widscreen LG 24" LCD
Jaws of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 03:45 PM   #10
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

this is the first fps mmo that seems it could be great and fun!

How do you sign up for the beta? the link only takes me to the forum sign up which I did... then what?

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood

Last edited by badboy : Sep 4, 2010 at 03:47 PM.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 07:07 PM   #11
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

The art style sort of reminds me of Tribes, but does it have jet packs?
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 08:02 PM   #12
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
The art style sort of reminds me of Tribes, but does it have jet packs?
Watch the game-play walk through.

But to answer the question, they have jet like things on their feet that seem to act in a similar fashion

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 09:12 PM   #13
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
this is the first fps mmo that seems it could be great and fun!

How do you sign up for the beta? the link only takes me to the forum sign up which I did... then what?
The beta hasn't actually started yet, but i did the same, hopefully we will actually be able to sign up for it soon.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:12 AM   #14
Fricfrac
Pain Train Productions

Fricfrac can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFricfrac can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFricfrac can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
The beta hasn't actually started yet, but i did the same, hopefully we will actually be able to sign up for it soon.
From what I understand, once you register on the forums, you're automatically signed up for the beta.

Cinematic trailer:

Fricfrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:09 AM   #15
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Well, that is goode because i don't have to make another account, but it seems weird, i guess it must be an open beta, or they will simply pick randomly from the forum accounts?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:24 AM   #16
Fricfrac
Pain Train Productions

Fricfrac can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFricfrac can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFricfrac can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Well, that is goode because i don't have to make another account, but it seems weird, i guess it must be an open beta, or they will simply pick randomly from the forum accounts?
From the Firefall forums:

"Originally Posted by Sumner:

This game is in closed beta, no? If it is, when were the keys release? If possible, where can I get a key?"

Response from Red 5 Studios employee (not sure if it was a developer or a PR rep):

"Firefall is not yet in closed beta. Keep an eye on our website to see when we announce the start date for beta testing. By registering on the forums, you're automatically signed up for beta, though, so you're good to go there."

Hopefully we will hear more as the closed beta nears.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:47 AM   #17
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweet, i was just going to go over and check after this, you save me the trouble!
Old Sep 5, 2010, 06:10 PM   #18
Yceman
Radeon R600

Yceman is still being judged by the masses

I also signed up.
The gameplay video was interesting, might be worth to check the game out
Yceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 09:51 PM   #19
BobbyRPI2712
Radeon Arctic Islands

BobbyRPI2712 is still being judged by the masses

Wow this looks cool, is there PvP in this or just like kinda massive co-op type gameplay? Looks fun.

BobbyRPI2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:29 PM   #20
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

It is a normal MMO type game, so there is sure to be PvP
Old Sep 6, 2010, 01:40 AM   #21
Sobek
Radeon R700

Sobek is still being judged by the masses

It looks awesome but unfortunately MMO = no deal as far as I'm concerned.

If it's like Guild Wars though - a Once-off purchase - that might be OK. But what about joining servers and the like... If that's 'classic', ie; You browse a list, select your server and play, that would be ace. None of this joining different 'worlds' or whatever bull****.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 01:57 AM   #22
Hunter_Killers
Radeon R200

Hunter_Killers is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
The sci-fi themed game will be free to play with microtransactions available for purchasing optional in-game items.
Something I'm definately looking forward to now.
Hunter_Killers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 03:27 AM   #23
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
It looks awesome but unfortunately MMO = no deal as far as I'm concerned.

If it's like Guild Wars though - a Once-off purchase - that might be OK. But what about joining servers and the like... If that's 'classic', ie; You browse a list, select your server and play, that would be ace. None of this joining different 'worlds' or whatever bull****.
It's a micro transactions game, so the game is free, but if you want the fluff, that will cost small one time payments.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 03:45 PM   #24
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

SD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Watch the game-play walk through.

But to answer the question, they have jet like things on their feet that seem to act in a similar fashion
That was impressive. I wonder how they will be able to pull off the model for this game. Free-to-play/open world Massive Multiplayer? It seems like day one there will be some pretty long waits to get into the game. I am very interested to find out...
SD-[Inc] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 04:29 AM   #25
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

I have been playing Global Agenda lately, and i have to say, if it doesn't change up sometime soon this is going to blow it out of the water completely.

It's free to play, better looking, in a better engine, it has a similar gameplay mechanic with a large open world with first person view as well as third perosn, the only thing this game does not do better is the agency (guild) combat, and that is only because we have not see any of it yet!
Old Sep 8, 2010, 04:56 PM   #26
Fricfrac
Pain Train Productions

Walkthrough (w/developer commentary + lots of details/information):

Part 1:

Part 2:
Old Sep 8, 2010, 06:28 PM   #27
CoolNitro
Radeon Volcanic Islands

CoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete stranger

It looks nice but I wonder about the game play from the vids so far from what I can gather most missions as it would be are centered around going somewhere placing a thumper device then staying alive for a number of waves I guess there has to be more to it then that but it seams to be a core part of the game as seen in the trailer, and if it ends up being mainly that it will get old fast.

Okay forget what I just said I just watched the weapon vids Fricfrac posted, it seams quite nice I like the whole things happen at random times but I only hope that a few retards can't spoil things for an entire server, like say 5 people jumping into those turrets and not shooting the large creature. Since it's going to be free to download and play maybe with micro transactions I guess it won't hurt to give it a go.

Last edited by CoolNitro : Sep 8, 2010 at 06:41 PM.
CoolNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 08:17 PM   #28
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Count me in, looks like a bigger world version of borderlands. Definitely give this a go since its free when it comes out.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 01:14 AM   #29
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pretty surprising, that it wont be out for another full year at least, as it looks pretty solid already!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:01 AM   #30
Martin3
Radeon R700

Martin3 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Pretty surprising, that it wont be out for another full year at least, as it looks pretty solid already!
They just showed a tiny section an of entire world they have to build. But the combat does look pretty fluid, maybe it'll be the first MMO that doesn't fall on it's face at launch.

Martin3 is offline   Reply With Quote