Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 14, 2018, 01:14 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Why do people keep spending this crazy amount of money on these things? This is getting absurd. No phone is worth that much money.
Quote:
I'll never spend more than $500 on a phone. That's what I spent on my Essential, and it's fantastic. The prices for Apple and Samsung and Pixel are just ridiculous. I spent more than that on my 6s+, but I was also able to sell it for $300 or so when I was done with it. Phones shouldn't cost as much as a nice Surface Pro.
I bought a swiss army knife of phones. I'm not proud of spending $1360 on a phone, but I think I got my money's worth. The phone does give me a PC like an experience and lots of conveniences. Everything I do on my PC I now do on my phone.
I very much would like a Surface pro, but due to lifestyle changes, it doesn't sense for me to use one. I think it's the same for many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
The X was a huge change for the iPhone. They took away the iconic home button, added FaceID, and for the first time put in OLED in an iPhone on top of all the little things they always polish up.

I felt like the X that I have now is probably the most problematic of all iPhones I have ever had. It feels like the software just doesnt have to polish that iPhones usually do. Its just the little things that add up.

This new max will be the same exact thing just a bigger screen. Anyone buying this phone should know its just an S version so theres really no new game changing features.
You don't think the Neural learning stuff is gaming changing? The chip sounds like a big upgrade.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w

Last edited by 0091/2 : Sep 14, 2018 at 01:56 PM.
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2018, 01:49 PM   #32
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
I bought a swiss army knife of phones. I'm not proud of spending $1360 on a phone, but I think I got my money's worth. The phone does give me a PC like an experience and lots of conveniences. Everything I do on my PC I now do on my phone.
I very much would like a Surface pro, but due to lifestyle changes, it doesn't sense for me to use one. I think it's the same for many people.

You don't think the Neural learning stuff is gaming changing? The chip sounds like a big upgrade.
That remains to be seen for me personally. The X has it already it learns things that you do and the way you type(text suggestions) but its nothing ground breaking that I couldnt live without. If it becomes more useful in the XS could be a game changer but as of right now not really. They are opening it up for devs to take advantage of but whether or not devs use it in a meaningful way remains to be seen.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2018, 02:06 PM   #33
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
That remains to be seen for me personally. The X has it already it learns things that you do and the way you type(text suggestions) but its nothing ground breaking that I couldnt live without. If it becomes more useful in the XS could be a game changer but as of right now not really. They are opening it up for devs to take advantage of but whether or not devs use it in a meaningful way remains to be seen.
They're using machine learning to enhance your photography. I'm not sure if that's cloud based or not. It wouldn't change the way you use your phone but it does improve things you do on it. If you take that much photo in your life.

You'll appreciate the improvement on phone a lot more If you live in China. Apple emphasizes the phone AR capabilities. AR and VR is huge in China. So I've been told.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 14, 2018, 02:36 PM   #34
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

They put a whole show on how they are doing this and that in the background while taking photos but the end result will only be marginally better than an iPX in reality.

As far as AR goes, I have never been to china and I dont know what they do there with AR but I havent used AR in any meaningful way at all on my phone. I tried some terrible games and some apps that use it to show landscapes of places you been but nothing worth it. I dont know why Apple is pushing AR so hard cause I have yet to see it be useful anywhere in my own life.

Old Sep 14, 2018, 07:51 PM   #35
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Tell you one thing guys - I do miss my Apple watch. I just reset my Samsung gear again as it was almost unusable after the last update. I want an Apple watch back - but I won't buy another Apple phone.

sigh
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:23 AM   #36
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default Apple ups service pricing

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#6fedbe317f26

Quote:
This week Apple AAPL -1.18% launched its new iPhones to much fanfare and looking closely at the iPhone XS (details), iPhone XS Max (details) and particularly the iPhone XR, this is deserved. That said, Apple also made a second, quieter announcement shortly after the launch and it will be greeted with a lot less enthusiasm…
What Apple announced was its updated Service Pricing to cover the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, and the user response has been hostile. While the iPhone XS retains the same extortionate costs for screen repair ($279) and “Other damage” ($549) as the iPhone X, these have been pushed up to an astonishing $329 and $599 respectively for the iPhone XS Max.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:41 AM   #37
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Come on man. At what point does the consumer finally tell them to **** off.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:50 AM   #38
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
They put a whole show on how they are doing this and that in the background while taking photos but the end result will only be marginally better than an iPX in reality.

As far as AR goes, I have never been to china and I dont know what they do there with AR but I havent used AR in any meaningful way at all on my phone. I tried some terrible games and some apps that use it to show landscapes of places you been but nothing worth it. I dont know why Apple is pushing AR so hard cause I have yet to see it be useful anywhere in my own life.
that's the problem, you don't find it useful anywhere in your life (like me).

Apple's solution is to MAKE it your problem, because, that's the apple way.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:51 AM   #39
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Astonishing, isn't it?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:01 PM   #40
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Took 11 iPhone generations for them to finally record in stereo sound. Bravo, Apple.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:03 AM   #41
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
Took 11 iPhone generations for them to finally record in stereo sound. Bravo, Apple.
Actually more

Did the note 9 just get speaker stereos?

Point is every company lags behind in something and catches up later.

Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:09 AM   #42
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Pre ordered 20 iPhones and watches.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2018, 02:59 AM   #43
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
i wouldn't be surprised at all if you really did

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2018, 04:04 AM   #44
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Default remember this? yeah, didn't age well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2018, 06:57 AM   #45
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
Actually more

Well, Apple iphone has multi-mic arrays for years which is used for audio recording and phone calls but not video. Will Apple implement it for their previous iPhones? You have to ask why the **** not.

Note 9's stereos speaker is software. It's using the earpiece which the note 8 also has. You can make it do the same thing on note 8 if you rooted it.

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Sep 18, 2018, 08:50 AM   #46
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Well, Apple iphone has multi-mic arrays for years which is used for audio recording and phone calls but not video. Will Apple implement it for their previous iPhones? You have to ask why the **** not.

Note 9's stereos speaker is software. It's using the earpiece which the note 8 also has. You can make it do the same thing on note 8 if you rooted it.
Rooting/jailbreaking doesnt count. If it aint there out the box it aint there.

Old Sep 18, 2018, 09:23 AM   #47
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Actually more

Stereo speakers in Samsung phones started this year, yes. They started in iPhones in 2016, so not that far behind. Stereo recording has been a thing since 2013 with the S4, bit of a bigger deal IMO to ignore such a simple feature all that time.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2018, 09:40 AM   #48
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
Rooting/jailbreaking doesnt count. If it aint there out the box it aint there.
My point was it's all software. There's no hardware limitation.
If you think like that then you're part of the reason why it took this long to add stereo video recording to iPhones.

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Sep 18, 2018, 09:45 AM   #49
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Only 20?

You really must have some sort cash shortfall.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:06 AM   #50
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
Stereo speakers in Samsung phones started this year, yes. They started in iPhones in 2016, so not that far behind. Stereo recording has been a thing since 2013 with the S4, bit of a bigger deal IMO to ignore such a simple feature all that time.
Both are a big deal. Id say stereo speakers are more important than stereo recording(we arent making full feature length videos on our phones) just because speakerphone talking would be better.

Quote:
My point was it's all software. There's no hardware limitation.
If you think like that then you're part of the reason why it took this long to add stereo video recording to iPhones.
Doesnt matter if its software or hardware. If its not enabled out of the box it doesnt matter. The average consumer isnt going to pick a samsung phone and have the rep say "btw if you want stereo speakers the phone has the capability but if you want to use it then you have to root it and figure out how to make it work on your own"

Part of the problem isnt me... might be samsung for having the hardware there but not enabling it?

Old Sep 18, 2018, 02:54 PM   #51
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Google Maps Arrives on CarPlay with Latest iPhone App Update for iOS 12
https://wccftech.com/google-maps-arr...te-for-ios-12/

now if you didn't have to unplug and plug back in 10 times a day with carplay
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2018, 03:31 PM   #52
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
I should have clarified it's the OS I was referring to. The physical changes were way overdue. Little things like linking apps that are commonly used in multi tasking and creating an icon for that, among others would be nice...

On the XR, my wife's 6s (trusty little beast) is starting to fail and I may grab that XR for her.
Just get the 8, cheaper, nice upgrade from the 6s, and does everything you need and more...

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:30 PM   #53
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Btw I did end up picking up an Watch. This one.

It is possibly the cheapest watch you can buy that doesn't come across as the cheapest watch you can buy.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:43 PM   #54
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
Btw I did end up picking up an Watch. This one.

It is possibly the cheapest watch you can buy that doesn't come across as the cheapest watch you can buy.
How do you like it? Is it actually useful?

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Nov 18, 2018, 07:15 PM   #55
KAC
That postcount though...

I am only using it as a watch. It is actually useful. Receiving messages and other crap on it is icing.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 07:30 AM   #56
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

How often do you have to charge it?
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2018, 08:20 AM   #57
KAC
That postcount though...

Once every 2 days.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 08:40 AM   #58
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
How often do you have to charge it?
From a few reviews, I've seen it last 2 to 5days. You should still charge it at the end of the day to avoid battery anxiety. You won't have to think about it if you make it a routine.

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Nov 19, 2018, 09:02 AM   #59
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Once every 2 days.
That's not bad, but I'm spoiled by 4-5 days on my Ionic.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote