Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old May 31, 2019, 12:47 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Default How much HP do you consider fast?

How much?

Everyone who posts here seems to be in the above 300 seems to be fast. Typically what do you guys consider not an econo box.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019, 12:49 PM   #2
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

300+ is decent. 400+ is fast. 500+ is all I can take.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019, 12:56 PM   #3
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

That's what your mom said but the lie detector test determined that was a lie.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 31, 2019, 12:58 PM   #4
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

Depends on the car and use.
My cars for around town driving:
~200HP in Accord hybrid feels too slow
~200HP in Z4 feels fast enough
Old May 31, 2019, 12:59 PM   #5
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I guess its relative to what you consider fast period.

I have a Scion IM, manual transmission, 137hp N/A. Its not fast, but it feels light and peppy in everyday situations. It struggles with uphills and I need to downshift at least twice to get the RPM's to at least 3000 because that's when it actually feels like its got some pulling power. By comparison I used to have a Honda fit, 130hp N/A but with a CVT. Also peppy in everyday situations but it felt like it always struggled to get up to speed (even flooring it), most likely its due to the CVT transmission (CVT's tend to sap any semblance of fun out of an engine). Shifting it to S (sport mode) didn't really help all that much. Power builds, but it theres no 'pull' feeling.

I also have a BMW X1, automatic, turbocharged 225hp. It feels a bit heavier, but its got a ton more power. Flooring it really pulls (theres huge turbo lag in eco mode, not so much in sport), and gets me up to speed quick.

I honestly don't need anymore power than either of those. By any metric they're not fast, but its fast enough for me. I'd say the Scion is peppy, the BMW is quick, but neither are fast.

Anymore power is just overkill, but i'd welcome the overkill with open arms.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense

Last edited by Sasquach : May 31, 2019 at 01:06 PM.
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019, 01:00 PM   #6
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Not an eco box? 200whp with short gearing.

Fast for street use? Meh I’d say around 400. Depends though .. weight of the vehicle matters a lot.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019, 01:16 PM   #7
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Depends on the weight
Old May 31, 2019, 01:26 PM   #8
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

400hp is what I consider fast, in anything weighing 3500lbs or less. A better number would be anything that's capable of running the 1/4 mile in the 12's, and 3500lbs/400hp would do it.

Do I think it's fast enough? No.
Old May 31, 2019, 01:34 PM   #9
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

You can't look at hp numbers, it's only part of the picture.

A car that is basically just a shell that weighs 1800lbs is going to feel VERY fast with just 200hp.

An 8 or 10 speed automatic transmission car that is 350hp is going to accelerate ALOT quicker than a manual transmission car with the same engine. In the most cases the difference is 1 second and several mph higher traps in the quarter mile.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019, 01:37 PM   #10
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

As others stated, HP isn't the factor really, 0-60 or 1/4 mile times tell more.

You get use to a cars quickness real....quick.

My RS7 no longer feels crazy quick to me any more. Not sure a car can ever feel quick enough.

Top fuel dragster maybe? Bit hard to daily however.
Old May 31, 2019, 02:21 PM   #11
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

When you say "fast", are you referring to acceleration or top speed?

Different factors influence those...
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019, 02:30 PM   #12
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

whatever a 2011 corolla has.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019, 02:46 PM   #13
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

In my Expedition, I'd guess probably about 900HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.
wabbitslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019, 03:28 PM   #14
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

According to Car and Driver magazine. My SS has 303hp does 0 to 60 in 5.6 seconds with a top speed of 154mph.
For now that's enough for me.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019, 03:33 PM   #15
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
When you say "fast", are you referring to acceleration or top speed?

Different factors influence those...
Just whatever everyones perception is. Im very well aware the answer is different for everyone. Im also aware a lot of people wouldnt be able to answer it correctly never driven in cars with higher HP numbers.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019, 03:54 PM   #16
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
How much?

Everyone who posts here seems to be in the above 300 seems to be fast. Typically what do you guys consider not an econo box.
Horsepower doesn't really tell you anything. Power to weight ratio is more important, unless you're trying to go above ~150...

edit: However, my truck has 308hp stock, and it's pretty darned quick for a truck.

Last edited by Elysian : May 31, 2019 at 04:19 PM.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019, 03:56 PM   #17
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Horsepower doesn't really tell you anything. Power to weight ratio is more important, unless you're trying to go above ~150...
Rage3d approved horsepower is 500 minimum.
Old May 31, 2019, 04:18 PM   #18
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Rage3d approved horsepower is 500 minimum.
Well yeah

My V8 E30 is gonna be underpowered at only 400
Old May 31, 2019, 05:51 PM   #19
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Well yeah

My V8 E30 is gonna be underpowered at only 400
I've only got 187

I care less about horses every year I get older, these days I want agility and handling over everything else. And typically the roads I like to enjoy for fun are twisty and bendy so I don't really need that high speed and stay there that horsepower gives.

Enough torque to get out of the corner is all I care about. Gear ratio and for an auto shift mapping is more important to me; how long the engine stays in the power band before the auto upshifts.
Old May 31, 2019, 06:53 PM   #20
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Whatever the car equivalent of 92 hp pushing 560 lbs including the rider is equal to.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019, 07:02 PM   #21
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCI Blue View Post
Whatever the car equivalent of 92 hp pushing 560 lbs including the rider is equal to.
That's about like a C6 ZO6 Corvette with 500hp and 3100lbs. Not bad.
Old May 31, 2019, 07:17 PM   #22
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

My RX-7 has 360RWHP and I guess it's fast enough for a weekend car, I'm quite used to it though.

My GTI has 310HP and that's also fast enough for a daily in my opinion. Both cars weigh less than 3000lbs.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2019, 08:46 AM   #23
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
My RX-7 has 360RWHP and I guess it's fast enough for a weekend car, I'm quite used to it though.

My GTI has 310HP and that's also fast enough for a daily in my opinion. Both cars weigh less than 3000lbs.
Pretty sure Mk7 GTI's are over 3000 (that's the one you have right?). My Mk4 Golf TDI was 3100.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 09:15 AM   #24
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I had 2900 in my head from some thing I read awhile back, seems it is more like 3000 to 3100. Either way, still plenty fast now and the way they should be from factory.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:38 PM   #25
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

Just took my wife for a back roads "sporty" ride in the Z4. It did not have the desired high HP affect on her.

If I had more HP I'd be more in the dog house.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 02:52 PM   #26
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Talking street cars only, given the weight most street cars roll off the line, I would say 300hp and above. I'm not counting the rare lightweight sports cars that sometimes appear.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 03:44 PM   #27
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Old Jun 7, 2019, 08:08 PM   #28
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

The Corolla engine in a Lotus if quite fast.

A large V8 in an Expedition is quite slow.
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2019, 09:17 AM   #29
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
The Corolla engine in a Lotus if quite fast.

A large V8 in an Expedition is quite slow.
But if you put that V8 in that lotus...…..
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:27 AM   #30
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
But if you put that V8 in that lotus...…..
Without some significant changes, that would be totally undriveable. You can still find the video of the ForceFed Lotus Elise that was created a few years after the Elise was released. It was around 400hp and the driver couldn't keep any traction when stepping on the throttle. I do know someone who built a high HP Lotus and it was super expensive.

However, the Toyota engine in the Elise/Exige is quite fast and the cars are able to use it without substantial changes.