Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Jan 12, 2019, 08:32 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Well it's certainly a FAR cry from the FT1, which is a major shame.

It looks like the designers did a "jack of all styles, master of none" with this car. It visually has no sole or character IMO.

Kia Stinger looks better.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 02:44 PM   #32
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The Supra, and LC are the same platform. I approve of this thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2019, 03:52 PM   #33
Android1
Radeon Tahiti PRO2

Android1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete stranger

I think that the side profile is all right, but the front and back ends are terribly ugly.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 12, 2019, 08:22 PM   #34
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
I think that the side profile is all right, but the front and back ends are terribly ugly.
Thoughts are the same

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2019, 09:12 AM   #35
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

This thing only has 335hp, that's pretty disappointing. 15hp more than the previous Supra, same HP as a V6 Camaro, and nearly 50HP less than the Z4 that shares the same chassis and engine...
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2019, 09:15 AM   #36
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yeah, but chassis and suspension have become a lot better with time. Theoretically this thing should handle way better.
Quote:
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Old Jan 14, 2019, 09:15 AM   #37
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

What I've seen so far, I'm not overly impressed. I'm not saying it's terrible, but just not something to make me consider getting rid of my F-Type for... However, I'm reserving full judgement for when I can see one in person. Sometimes, cars can give a better impression in person than in photos (or vice versa).
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2019, 09:16 AM   #38
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
Yeah, but chassis and suspension have become a lot better with time. Theoretically this thing should handle way better.
Yeah, because it's a BMW.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 09:23 AM   #39
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
...However, I'm reserving full judgement for when I can see one in person. Sometimes, cars can give a better impression in person than in photos (or vice versa).
Me too.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 09:24 AM   #40
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
The Supra, and LC are the same platform. I approve of this thing.
Supra and the new BMW Z4 share a platform (This thing is a BMW underneath)

LC is Toyota's own separate in-house platform, nothing to do with BMW.

Im having a hard time with the proportions. It looks squashed and off in some angles. The FT1 was long and had a long wheelbase with the wheels pushed to the corners. The proportions look right and it looked marvelous.
The Supra is shorter and the wheelbase is shorter. The design is similar and modified from the FT1, but it doesn't look like it was made to fit that shorter length and wheelbase, so it looks a little weird to me.

Plus no manual....
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:37 AM   #41
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

As far as I understand, the platform is Toyota's, and various parts are BMW's (including the engine, steering wheel, etc).

Quick Googling doesn't seem to find a good enough source to confirm this.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:44 AM   #42
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
As far as I understand, the platform is Toyota's, and various parts are BMW's (including the engine, steering wheel, etc).

Quick Googling doesn't seem to find a good enough source to confirm this.
It's a Z4 with a different skin. That's been confirmed all over the place, including Jalopnik this morning.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:08 PM   #43
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:17 PM   #44
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Looks like the evolution of a late 90's Supra to me.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:23 PM   #45
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:34 PM   #46
AllexxisF1
I'm Back.

AllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

That is one nice looking car. That rear end is gorgeous and I like how its an evolution of the design from the 90's.

Supra's have always been a beast.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:45 PM   #47
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 View Post
That is one nice looking car. That rear end is gorgeous and I like how its an evolution of the design from the 90's.

Supra's have always been a beast.
What part of this car is a beast? Is the BMW motor going to handle an obscene amount of horsepower like the 2JZ-GTE? Otherwise, it only gained like 15hp since the 90's.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:51 PM   #48
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Is the BMW motor going to handle an obscene amount of horsepower like the 2JZ-GTE?
We are well past those days... 600lb engines built to withstand anything are no longer the norm.. 250-300lb engines are the new norm which are built for fuel economy.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 01:06 PM   #49
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I like the look but yeah, nothing impressive about the power numbers or beastly about it. Now that I’ve seen the numbers I’m much less excited to see it on the street and try to get one to take me off a roll.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2019, 01:07 PM   #50
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
We are well past those days... 600lb engines built to withstand anything are no longer the norm.. 250-300lb engines are the new norm which are built for fuel economy.
Well....that's not entirely true (engines being overbuilt). The current Mustang GT (S550) is a good example of that. I get a little nervous going up against any new v8 Mustang at the 1/2 mile, since all they have to do for serious power is strap on a big ol' turbo and matching fuel system. Easy 600rwhp (700+ motor) and it'll handle it all day long.

But, I seriously doubt that's the case with the Supra. Which is what the previous model was known for.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 01:09 PM   #51
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with this. If you want tons of HP go buy a Demon or a ZR1.

I like the BMW interior and the Supra looks. I'd like to test drive one and see how it feels.

How much is this supposed to sell for?

yoz
Old Jan 14, 2019, 01:30 PM   #52
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Well....that's not entirely true (engines being overbuilt). The current Mustang GT (S550) is a good example of that. I get a little nervous going up against any new v8 Mustang at the 1/2 mile, since all they have to do for serious power is strap on a big ol' turbo and matching fuel system. Easy 600rwhp (700+ motor) and it'll handle it all day long.

But, I seriously doubt that's the case with the Supra. Which is what the previous model was known for.
Probably would need to venture in the dark corners of the web in BMW forums to see how the most elitist snob mobiles holy motors can handle power.

Quote:
How much is this supposed to sell for?

apparently it starts at just under 50k
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2019, 02:19 PM   #53
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Looks like the evolution of a late 90's Supra to me.
If you take every feature and exaggerate it to a rather obscene amount maybe... It's like a funhouse mirror version of the 90s Supra.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 02:39 PM   #54
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
apparently it starts at just under 50k
Wow, seems too high a price to me.

yoz
Old Jan 14, 2019, 02:39 PM   #55
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
If you take every feature and exaggerate it to a rather obscene amount maybe... It's like a funhouse mirror version of the 90s Supra.
You what they say about beauty and the eye of the beholder....

yoz
Old Jan 14, 2019, 02:41 PM   #56
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
That's more the outlier than the norm. Big 5-liter V8 motors are more of the anomaly these days as companies go for better emissions and gas mileage than the norm. Smaller motors with smaller turbos/superchargers is the new direction. Not saying it has to be liked.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 02:50 PM   #57
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
That's more the outlier than the norm. Big 5-liter V8 motors are more of the anomaly these days as companies go for better emissions and gas mileage than the norm. Smaller motors with smaller turbos/superchargers is the new direction. Not saying it has to be liked.
Ah, we were going at it from two different angles. I was just saying, in general, there are a few motors out there that are incredibly overbuilt even being lightweight aluminum power plants. Just depends on whether or not they used completely forged internals for the rotating assembly from the start. Which is what they did on Mark 4 Supra, the 03/04 Cobra, S550 Mustang, etc. There may be a bunch of others (likely) over the years (and maybe modern too) that weren't V8, but that's outside my realm so I can't rattle them off he top of my head.

My motor is still stock 10.5:1 compression, stock cubed, aluminum block, but with all forged rotating assembly. Good for 800-900rwhp. The aluminum blocks can still handle incredible power, but a lot of people going mega boost for well over 1000rwhp builds generally start with an iron LSX block for the thicker cylinder walls/strength and lower compression.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 03:37 PM   #58
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
My motor is still stock 10.5:1 compression, stock cubed, aluminum block, but with all forged rotating assembly. Good for 800-900rwhp. The aluminum blocks can still handle incredible power, but a lot of people going mega boost for well over 1000rwhp builds generally start with an iron LSX block for the thicker cylinder walls/strength and lower compression.
Manufacturers are looking to do better than 11-12 mpg around the city.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 03:55 PM   #59
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Agreed but I'm seeing OC's point though. The die hard Supra crown may not go for this. Same was to what happened with the RX-8 compared to the RX-7.

yoz
Old Jan 14, 2019, 04:03 PM   #60
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
You originally implied that the motors aren't as strong any more because they are light 300lb aluminum blocks now instead of heavy cast iron 600lb blocks, caused by attempts to meet better MPG requirements.

I responded by saying the aluminum block can still be incredibly strong despite having thinner cylinder walls as long as the rotating assembly has the needed forged parts. I'm simply comparing block A to block B. There's no argument because we are talking about two different things, apparently.

Also, as an aside, my car still gets 19mpg city and 27mpg highway with the supercharger and a blower cam. Befor the blower cam, it was 20/28 compared to 20/29 from factory. Forged internals, forced induction, and fuel system don't do whole lot to affect MPG (when not under heavy throttle load). It only does that when people start adding cams, e85, etc.