Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Feb 15, 2005, 02:46 PM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muerte_X
Man, some of guys can be real punks, I simply post my car, and out everyone comes with hp/L, and pushrods suck? WTF?

Wtf does it matter if you have 100hp/L. only to have 1.6L, the car is still slow. And only one of those has more hp as mine (350btw stock, not 325, yes they're underrated. and the later models make closer to 370-380hp) and none even come close to same hp as the Ls7.

Comparing modded engines is pointless, you can easily get more than 500whp out of an Ls1 simply by adding a turbo at only 9psi (for you people that like to think omg 20psi makes tons of power). That's 625hp at the crank (at least, if not more, accounting for drivetrain loss). OMG that's 109hp/L wtf, V8's can't make that much power?!?!, add a cam (rev easily to 7000+rpms) some bolt ons, the motor makes even more.

Let's say you put my take my 5.7L ls1 vs oh, i dunno, a Twin turbo 3.0L DOHC (like in a 3000gt or 300zx) making 320hp. Tell me this, is it really more efficient if the engine is physically larger, and much heavier? For example, you can put a 5.7L LS1 into a miata and maintain 50/50 weight distribution simply by adding some fuel to the gas tank. You can't even fit a 3.0L dohc into them, not to mention how much more the engine weighs. The LS2 weighs less than the LS1 at 6.0L and in turn the LS7 weighs even less (phsyical size being pretty much the same, as it's still a small block)

FYI, the 5.7L DOHC engine made for the corvette by Lotus. made 400hp and 385tq, less than the C5 Z06 makes at 405hp and 400tq. Ahother FYI, OHC motors have been around as long as pushrod motors, they're just as "old technology" as the pushrod design is. So I'm not sure what you mean by them being "old"

The reason the japanese use such small motors there is that their insurance is based upon the size of the engine, so they make small engines with good hp output, it's simply matter of economy.

And yes, bigger is better, in terms of HP. Bigger displacement will always be able to make more power. Period.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just lots of misinformation and ignorance going on here.
Well said. I know a lot of folks keep screaming 'get back on topic' - but I don't think you hijacked this thread. It seems to be a good spot to discuss such matters - along with posting pics of our vehicles. You brought up some very valid points.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 02:47 PM   #182
Stingray
Banned

Stingray is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludacris

love the cookie-cutters, though i prefer mine.

a blast to drive
Mmmm 944... my kind of car. I love old sports cars, that´s why I´d probably like to own the new (retro-look) Ford Mustang.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 02:49 PM   #183
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchWRX
Depends what you like I guess, I think the 350z looks feminine - I much prefer the angry look of a 4 door STi or EVO, but thats just my preference.
Hell, I think most cars look feminine - that's why I drive a truck. J/K

<curio puts his truck in 4 wheel drive, drives over switch's wrx>
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 15, 2005, 02:50 PM   #184
RevolutioniZed
Banned

RevolutioniZed is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Depends what you like I guess, I think the 350z looks feminine - I much prefer the angry look of a 4 door STi or EVO, but thats just my preference.

No, your right the 350Z isn't "slow" but for the money it is -- on a track day I killed a 350Z with my then STOCK WRX. I just find most people driving driving 350Zs are men going through a middle crisis -- bald old dudes trying to race me at stoplights.

I guess for the $$ you cant beat the Evo/STi considering their performance. But with a couple mods, the 350Z can really eat things up. My freind has a turbocharged 350z and that thing is QUICK. We've never raced a STi, but we did smoke some guy in a Evo on the highway. For looks, I donno. The STi comes with a bunch of aftermarket parts that make it look cool, but under all that, its just a WRX ( exterior ) IMO, a stock 350z looks a ton better than a stock WRX ( not STi ) With some exterior parts, the 350Z looks BADASS. See below:

RevolutioniZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 02:51 PM   #185
Stingray
Banned

Stingray is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanCN47
I guess for the $$ you cant beat the Evo/STi considering their performance. But with a couple mods, the 350Z can really eat things up. My freind has a turbocharged 350z and that thing is QUICK. We've never raced a STi, but we did smoke some guy in a Evo on the highway. For looks, I donno. The STi comes with a bunch of aftermarket parts that make it look cool, but under all that, its just a WRX ( exterior ) IMO, a stock 350z looks a ton better than a stock WRX ( not STi ) With some exterior parts, the 350Z looks BADASS. See below:

tru.dat
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 02:56 PM   #186
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM
A 1.6l 4 cylinder putting out 160hp? thats 100hp/liter

Versus a 500hp 7 liter? Yeah... real efficiant use of displacement there. (71hp/liter)

Or if you want to get real extreme, RX-7, 250hp, 1.3liter, 192hp/liter...

WRX STi, 300hp, 2.5 liter... 120hp/liter.

Or a little differant, Stage 2 WRX... 310 chp, 2.0 liter... 155hp/liter

And back to V8's
1981 Ferrari 208 GTS, 2.9l V8, 240hp... 82hp/liter... that's still a better hp/displacement ratio

2001 BMW M5 394 Horsepower, 4.9 liter... 79hp/liter, still better.

And for really bad...
latest Camero SS... 5.7 liter, 325hp 57hp/liter

Lets see now... American car manufacturers still working with old mindsets, creating engines that really arent much differant from their former engines, whereas europe and japan sqeeze out every little bit of power they possibly can... Typical american mentality, Bigger is better, when in many cases, it is, but comparitivly, not so much better... And when size is close, the "lets make it bigger and rely on only that" fails.

I'm not saying american V8's are bad persay, But they are old, and US car manufacturers need to rethink what they are doing with their large displacement engines.
I've got a 600cc H.O. ski-doo snowmobile that has about 118 horsepower. By your standards, I guess its engine is better and more efficient then any Ferrari, BMW, WRX or Corvette out there.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 02:58 PM   #187
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
That's wicked.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:07 PM   #188
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio
QFT
I challange you to find ANY car thats comparable in performance to the new Z06 for 60k....
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:08 PM   #189
Rippthrough
Nothing wrong with 4-pot!

Rippthrough is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I've got a 600cc H.O. ski-doo snowmobile that has about 118 horsepower. By your standards, I guess its engine is better and more efficient then any Ferrari, BMW, WRX or Corvette out there.
I've got a 6cc rotary kicking out 8.5bhp.
Do I win?
Rippthrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:10 PM   #190
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippthrough
Do I win?
I dunno - I need to find the specs of my lawnmower.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:11 PM   #191
Rippthrough

About 46cc with 3.5bhp....

My little rotary gets:

1417bhp/L

Sweet.

external crank rotaries on nitro-methanol = the way forward.

I'll have a 2L one for my car please....

Last edited by Rippthrough : Feb 15, 2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:11 PM   #192
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
I challange you to find ANY car thats comparable in performance to the new Z06 for 60k....
You challange me? I wasn't the one that was making the comparisons.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:14 PM   #193
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
About 46cc with 3.5bhp....

My little rotary gets:

1417bhp/L
That's one wicked little engine.

My grandfather has a bunch of horses - that's 1 horse power/horse.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:15 PM   #194
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Do I win?
definatly

Quote:
Well theres a reason it looks like a WRX... BECAUSE IT IS. It's called the WRX STi... Not the "STi"

I'm so tired of hearing people say "I want an STi" or "look at that STi"

Which STi are you talking about... The Forester STi? Legacy? WRX?

STi is to the WRX what Z06 is to the Corvette... Or SS to the Camaro, or Cobra to the Mustang... It's still a Corvette Z06, it's Still a Camaro SS, it's Still a Mustang Cobra...

People always just drop the surname like it's nothing. That just really gets on my nerves
Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:17 PM   #195
Rippthrough

Nah, it's a Scooby.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:22 PM   #196
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

Quote:
Nah, it's a Scooby.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:29 PM   #197
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
I see your pimp 3fitty and raise you a gun metal STi.

Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:31 PM   #198
Rippthrough

My new alloys are that exact colour
Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:51 PM   #199
shockwave
canucklehead

shockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

my teggy

thumbs up to unattentive drivers

shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 03:53 PM   #200
Rippthrough

A bit of T-cut and that'll buff out.....
Old Feb 15, 2005, 04:06 PM   #201
RevolutioniZed
Banned

Quote:
definatly

Well theres a reason it looks like a WRX... BECAUSE IT IS. It's called the WRX STi... Not the "STi"

I'm so tired of hearing people say "I want an STi" or "look at that STi"

Which STi are you talking about... The Forester STi? Legacy? WRX?

STi is to the WRX what Z06 is to the Corvette... Or SS to the Camaro, or Cobra to the Mustang... It's still a Corvette Z06, it's Still a Camaro SS, it's Still a Mustang Cobra...

People always just drop the surname like it's nothing. That just really gets on my nerves

I know its a WRX I dont feel like spelling out every word when I type. I could call the Evo an Evolution VIII, but whats the point? People know what i'm talking about.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 04:12 PM   #202
shockwave
canucklehead

shockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
A bit of T-cut and that'll buff out.....

now all i need is a buffer
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 04:13 PM   #203
RevolutioniZed
Banned

Quote:
I see your pimp 3fitty and raise you a gun metal STi.

Vs.

Old Feb 15, 2005, 04:28 PM   #204
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

"Look" pretty but can they do this (right click save target as)?
Old Feb 15, 2005, 04:35 PM   #205
Kr0n0s
Mad Modder

Kr0n0s is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I dunno - a 428 7.0L LS7 corvette engine at 500bhp getting 16 to 22mpg doesn't sound too inefficient to me.

Funny, chev did not have a 428, perhaps your thinkgin of one of these

this is my fathers 67 427/435 tri-power vette. It has not moved in over 15 years. anyone in the market
Kr0n0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 04:44 PM   #206
RevolutioniZed
Banned

Quote:
"Look" pretty but can they do this (right click save target as)?
Maybe not the offroad stuff, but any RWD car can have a fun time doing spin outs. The wet roads helped A LOT...
Old Feb 15, 2005, 04:53 PM   #207
The Luggage
Life is Good

The Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Rage
For the unbeliever, it's actually a 3.2-litre, 240 horse V-6. Not too shabby. http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/golf_r32.asp
Actually, it varies from site to site, but not much: http://www.allcars.org/car.html?id=26

Too bad they made it look like your average economy car, because this thing actually kicks ass.

Anyway, http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/nissan_350z.asp
care to race?

Preying on Volkswagens and ricers has become a hobby of mine.
The same engine in the Audi TT is rated at 250HP, not sure why it is rated less in the .:R. That being said, it is pretty likely that it is underrated. Volkswagen claims a 0-60 of 6.4s, but several people have found 5.8s-6.0s more accurate, I've also seen a 1/4 mile time of 13.9s (stock).

By the way: Calling it a Golf is like calling an STi an Imprezza. Technically true, but the truth of the matter is completely different. It would be more acurate to say that it is an Audi TT 3.2 with a modified Golf body.
The Luggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 05:04 PM   #208
brandon_k_w
Blu-ray will win.

brandon_k_w is still being judged by the masses

Some shots I took with my phone while at the grocery store

brandon_k_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 05:06 PM   #209
Twinke Masta
King of Blues

Twinke Masta is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_k_w
Some shots I took with my phone while at the grocery store

how much was that 89,000?
Old Feb 15, 2005, 05:07 PM   #210
brandon_k_w
Blu-ray will win.

brandon_k_w is still being judged by the masses

Their close to 95k-100k new, bought mine used.
brandon_k_w is offline   Reply With Quote