Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old May 20, 2019, 06:02 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Burping car question

When I am burping the air out of the coolant in my car, most articles say to set the heater to Max. What they aren't clear on is whether I should turn the heater on or just leave it set at the hot setting. One article suggested I shouldn't turn the heater on but just leave it set at hot.

Thoughts?

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 06:49 PM   #2
Quickstrike
Verification Required.

Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
When I am burping the air out of the coolant in my car, most articles say to set the heater to Max. What they aren't clear on is whether I should turn the heater on or just leave it set at the hot setting. One article suggested I shouldn't turn the heater on but just leave it set at hot.

Thoughts?

Heat Temp set to MAX. Fan Setting set to MAX.

You'll know you have it clear of air pockets when the coolant temp gauge is in the middle [normal operating position] and the air vents start pumping out hot air.

Main PC : Intel Core i7 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS P8P67 Pro, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866-DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost, Sound Blaster Zx, Klipsch 5.1 Ultras, Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD, 8TB Seagate Archive, 6TB WD Black, 4TB HGST, 3.0TB Seagate x 2, 1.5TB Seagate x 2, Corsair AX850W PSU, Cooler Master HAF 932, 21" NEC [email protected]

HTPC : Intel Core i5 3570K, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, Asus Maximus V Gene, 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600-DDR3, ASUS 5850 Direct CU, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750W, Silverstone SG09B.

Virtual Server : Intel Core2Quad Q6600, Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme, Gigabyte P35-DS3R, 16GB OCZ DDR2, eVGA 8800GTX, 74GB Raptor, 500GB Seagate x 4, Intel Ethernet port x 4, Silverstone TJ06.
Quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 07:11 PM   #3
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstrike View Post
Heat Temp set to MAX. Fan Setting set to MAX.

You'll know you have it clear of air pockets when the coolant temp gauge is in the middle [normal operating position] and the air vents start pumping out hot air.

Air vents are pumping out heat just fine, the problem is a sloshing sound I am hearing in the dash when turning and accelerating.

Car only has an overflow reservoir to access. It's a Pontiac G6. Didn't notice any bubbles coming up Hough, and the coolant level is normal.

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 20, 2019, 08:30 PM   #4
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

A/C drain stopped up?
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 09:13 PM   #5
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytprice View Post
A/C drain stopped up?
Possible, hard to check in this car. Could that sound happen when starting the car too? I often hear fluid sloshing around when I first start.

Old May 21, 2019, 12:02 AM   #6
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Possible, hard to check in this car. Could that sound happen when starting the car too? I often hear fluid sloshing around when I first start.
Not sure. But I've had that happen to several GM cars over the years. One sign is the passenger floor will likely be wet. Usually finding the drain hose under the car isn't hard.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2019, 12:11 AM   #7
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytprice View Post
Not sure. But I've had that happen to several GM cars over the years. One sign is the passenger floor will likely be wet. Usually finding the drain hose under the car isn't hard.
I don't think it's wet. There is definitely air in the system, but getting it out is tricky since all I have to access is the overflow. This all probably happened when my brother in law replaced my radiator (after he broke it with a car jack slip). I think I saw in a youtube vid that I'd have to loosen some nuts around the engine to bleed it out, but other comments are saying I have to actually remove the hose and that just loosening the nut won't do anything...ugh. GM's are such pains in the ass to work on.

Last edited by xCLAVEx : May 21, 2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old May 21, 2019, 08:21 AM   #8
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Had to do this recently on my G6 after replacing the water pump. The brass nut on the bleed valve near the water pump sheared off when trying to loosen it. The threads had corroded over the two years since I replaced the thermostat and had no problem opening it back then.

Some things to try:
- jack the one side of the car up so the overflow tank is the highest point by a good margin and the air bubbles can work themselves out
- squeeze the hoses going to the rad a whole bunch of times
- just let the car cool and sit overnight and trapped air bubbles may be able to get out
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Corsair H50 | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Corsair MP510 480GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2019, 09:44 AM   #9
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
Had to do this recently on my G6 after replacing the water pump. The brass nut on the bleed valve near the water pump sheared off when trying to loosen it. The threads had corroded over the two years since I replaced the thermostat and had no problem opening it back then.

Some things to try:
- jack the one side of the car up so the overflow tank is the highest point by a good margin and the air bubbles can work themselves out
- squeeze the hoses going to the rad a whole bunch of times
- just let the car cool and sit overnight and trapped air bubbles may be able to get out

Let it sit and cool overnight with the cap on or off the overflow?

Old May 21, 2019, 09:52 AM   #10
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Usually you put the cap on, but just loosely (so you don't get any external contaminants).

+1 on squeezing the coolant lines to push air out.
Mahjik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 11:51 AM   #11
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
The brass nut on the bleed valve near the water pump sheared off when trying to loosen it. The threads had corroded over the two years since I replaced the thermostat and had no problem opening it back then.
I'm actually afraid to try to loosen the nut on my own then. I've read that finding a replacement nut for it is very difficult, if that gets wrecked I won't be able to use the car!

The car is not overheating right now and the heater blows hot air once the engine warms up (not that I need it in south east Texas during the summer) but that sloshing noise is driving me crazy.

Old May 22, 2019, 01:34 PM   #12
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Quote:
I'm actually afraid to try to loosen the nut on my own then. I've read that finding a replacement nut for it is very difficult, if that gets wrecked I won't be able to use the car!
Luckily the one on mine is corroded tight so it never turned before the top sheared off. I was using a small 1/4" ratchet with socket too. Broke off super easy
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Corsair H50 | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Corsair MP510 480GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is online now   Reply With Quote