Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Mar 15, 2019, 04:57 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Default NEON NOIR: Real-Time Ray Traced Reflections - Achieved With CRYENGINE

Neon Noir is based on an advanced version of CRYENGINE's Total Illumination showcasing real-time ray tracing. The demo shown below is running on an AMD Vega 56 and demonstrates how real-time mesh ray-traced reflections and refractions can deliver highly realistic visuals for games. This feature is expected to be available to developers using CRYENGINE in 2019. The demo was created on a bespoke version of CRYENGINE 5.5 and the experimental ray tracing feature is both API and hardware agnostic. This means that it will run on AMD and NVIDIA GPUs. Crytek will optimize the technology to benefit both the current generation of graphics cards and supported APIs like Vulkan and DX12.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2019, 07:23 PM   #2
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

That looks nice. I didn't see any partial reflections/partial transparency that we see in the windows in Battlefield 5, though. Or the reflection deformations we saw in the curves of cars. Still limited in what can be done in software. Very clean though, reminds me of the clean reflections in Unreal 1998.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2019, 09:36 AM   #3
saumilsingh
Radeon Northern Islands

saumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete stranger

Hmm, that looked more impressive than Metro Exodus RTX which just looks like beefed up AO.
saumilsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:22 PM   #4
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumilsingh View Post
Hmm, that looked more impressive than Metro Exodus RTX which just looks like beefed up AO.
Let's make sure we know what we're talking about as RT lighting (Exodus) is not the same as RT reflections (BFV, CryEngine).

yoz
Old Mar 16, 2019, 01:30 PM   #5
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Looks tight.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2019, 05:02 PM   #6
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

So we are saying we dont need a special Nvidia engineered chip for ray tracing
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2019, 05:58 PM   #7
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Let's make sure we know what we're talking about as RT lighting (Exodus) is not the same as RT reflections (BFV, CryEngine).
So, I guess you missed it where cryEngine is doing both which is why they call it total illumination. RT lighting is how it bounces off of other surfaces, which is what metro and the cryengine are doing.

https://www.cryengine.com/news/cryte...for-cryengine#

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/0...s-ray-tracing/

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Mar 16, 2019 at 06:06 PM.
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2019, 08:34 PM   #8
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
So, I guess you missed it where cryEngine is doing both which is why they call it total illumination. RT lighting is how it bounces off of other surfaces, which is what metro and the cryengine are doing.

https://www.cryengine.com/news/cryte...for-cryengine#

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/0...s-ray-tracing/
So if you're gonna cite a source, make sure you understand it first. There is no global illumination in that reflection video. There is no reference anywhere that the lights themselves are ray traced for illumination other than reflections. Not to mention you can see with your own eyes there's no ray traced global illumination from any source. The video title mentioning reflections only is also a dead giveaway in itself. Total illumination is just the name of the package, which gives the devs choices how they want to use it.

Also, this isn't anywhere near on the same level as ray traced reflections in Battlefield 5. This solution showcases good accurate approximated reflections but it can't do the partials/translucency on windows or the deformations seen on car surfaces in Battlefield 5. But, what do you expect for a software solution? Still better than nothing.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:33 PM   #9
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
So if you're gonna cite a source, make sure you understand it first. There is no global illumination in that reflection video. There is no reference anywhere that the lights themselves are ray traced for illumination other than reflections. Not to mention you can see with your own eyes there's no ray traced global illumination from any source. The video title mentioning reflections only is also a dead giveaway in itself. Total illumination is just the name of the package, which gives the devs choices how they want to use it.

Also, this isn't anywhere near on the same level as ray traced reflections in Battlefield 5. This solution showcases good accurate approximated reflections but it can't do the partials/translucency on windows or the deformations seen on car surfaces in Battlefield 5. But, what do you expect for a software solution? Still better than nothing.
Once again, you jump in to make a personal attack for no reason and an incorrect attack at that. If you actually read the CryEngine article and then watched the video again, you should realize there is ray tracing on light sources in that video. It is not just reflections (hint, look up light refractions) The light source ray tracing may no be to the extent as BFV, Metro, or what you believe there should be, but you are still wrong in saying there is not ray tracing off of any light source, because you are dead wrong!

Nobody said it was perfect, nor did anyone compare it to BFV or Metro! That part of your comment had nothing to do with anything said here. And the only reason you brought it up, is just to make yourself sound Superior and to try and start crap and try and create an argument as usual, and frankly, I am tired of it.

~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Mar 17, 2019 at 12:06 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:54 PM   #10
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

You two need a ****ing room. We are so tired of your bullshit in every single thread.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:08 AM   #11
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Quote:
Once again, you jump in to make a personal attack on me for no reason and you are incorrect in your attack. If you actually read the CryEngine article and then watched the video again, you should realize there is ray tracing on light sources in that video. It is not just reflections but also refractions.

Nobody said it was perfect, nor did anyone compare it to BFV or Metro! You are making comments that had nothing to do with my comment just to try and start crap and start up another argument as usual and frankly, I am tired of your damn bs.. So BACK OFF! As I am in no mood for your crap anymore.
#1: Please cite the personal attack.

#2: "you should realize there is ray tracing on light sources in that video. It is not just reflections but also refractions."

This is filled with misinformation and misunderstandings.You're describing the same way ray tracing effects work in Battlefield 5, which involves no kind of ray traced global illumination but of course uses light sources for ray tracing, how else would they be reflected?

In this video, is the environment uniformly lit from any source? Are shadows uniformly cast from any source? Like from a moon? No, and you can clearly see there's no such effect in place.

But instead of going off on that rant like that in end, how about accepting the fact there is no ray traced global illumination in this video? This demo was meant to show off reflections. This is why many people get frustrated when debating with you, you never accept being wrong.

Last edited by Exposed : Mar 17, 2019 at 12:25 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:15 AM   #12
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
You two need a ****ing room. We are so tired of your bullshit in every single thread.
Nope.. I will just leave Rage3D.. because I am tired of posting and constantly getting attacked by him, and expected to just lie down and take it.. so have a good life people.. I am done.. Exposed.. you win, you got what you wanted..

Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:21 AM   #13
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Bro, it's clearly obvious we disagree but why is it so hard for you to admit you misunderstood something? You quoted acroig and mistakenly corrected him about global illumination. There's no ray traced global illumination in that video. Yes the CryEngine package supports both, but this demo only showed reflections, not global illumination. If you wanna see how CryEngine does global illumination, there's many out there.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 01:35 AM   #14
Bitey
Radeon Northern Islands

Bitey is still being judged by the masses

Makes rtx look like a real lemon
Bitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2019, 02:34 AM   #15
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Watching the video a few times, now that I think about it, this could be done without actual raytracing. In fact I think I could do this in the original unreal engine and have it look convincing to an extent. Since there is no raytraced lighting in this scene, I am actually confident you could pull this off in that old engine due to the cheeseball method they used for reflections. You could also achieve this in the source engine. Though I am not sure of the performance implications, and if raytracing would actually be the faster solution.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2019, 04:41 AM   #16
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Nice reflections but I don't see any light bouncing in that demo, it could be there but it's not evident.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:29 AM   #17
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Nope.. I will just leave Rage3D.. because I am tired of posting and constantly getting attacked by him, and expected to just lie down and take it.. so have a good life people.. I am done.. Exposed.. you win, you got what you wanted..
I'd rather you didn't leave, we're just having a disagreement, nobody is attacking you.

yoz
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:47 PM   #18
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
You can put him on ignore.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 03:07 PM   #19
Argoon1981
Radeon Northern Islands

Argoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post
You can put him on ignore.
Exactly.
Creative SB Audigy 4
W10 64bits

My modeling portfolio
Argoon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2019, 09:58 AM   #20
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019, 01:33 AM   #21
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound