Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:55 PM   #1021
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
When they make the game available only on EA's service, which is not even a tenth as popular as Steam, all of those Steam users that exclusively use Steam will not have access to the game what-so-ever unless they adopt the Origin service or search elsewhere for the game.
Actually it seems they'll make it available everywhere except Steam which presents the question; what isn't Valve telling the users?

You know what fun thing here is? I can buy Battlefield 3 from my grocery store when it comes out while buying spaghetti - on top of that it'll be cheaper than on Steam and I'll have a nice box to remember me what I've bought next to the others on the shelf.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:00 PM   #1022
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
Actually it seems they'll make it available everywhere except Steam which presents the question; what isn't Valve telling the users?

You know what fun thing here is? I can buy Battlefield 3 from my grocery store when it comes out while buying spaghetti - on top of that it'll be cheaper than on Steam and I'll have a nice box to remember me what I've bought next to the others on the shelf.
Nothing. Its probably that EA doesnt want to give any money to steam for having it on their platform. EA is fcking greedy. It probably cost them less to have it on any other retailer. Id think that they would figure if they have it on every other digital site, it will make up for not having it on steam and save them money paying steam. I think they know millions of people will buy it on steam and they will lose more money than they would like to there.

Oh, and about the box thing. I used to like getting boxes and stuff as well... then I moved 4-5 times and all those boxes went in the trash as I felt I had no need for them. Then I lost some of the cd keys in the process and the games were rendered unusable at that point. Digital services fix that for me. I just like how steam keeps all your games ready and cdkeys archived with them, that way when you want to play... no problems to be had just download and go.

Last edited by logical : Jul 18, 2011 at 03:02 PM.
logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:00 PM   #1023
mcrobrewer
Radeon R520

mcrobrewer is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
The only people are cutting themselves out would be EA. EA needs customers, the customers dont need EA.

Although, I do agree with your last statement. If the game is good enough people will go out of their way to get it and play it regardless of where they have to get it from.

I think EA should just put it on Steam... Steam has a huge user base and people will buy it on steam before they go anywhere else digitally(usually). I for one am holding out til a month before release to pre order in hopes that it will come to steam. If not I am going to have to go with amazon digital service.
Customers need EA if they want BF3....

Again since I do not know the terms of dealing with Steam... it would be hard for me to "tell" EA what they should do.

Perhaps EA feels they don't need Steam. ya know?
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:04 PM   #1024
mcrobrewer
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post

Exactly my point.... who knows what the terms of steam are? Perhaps they are the greedy ones.

It is funny.... how people jump to conclusions.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:08 PM   #1025
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrobrewer View Post
Customers need EA if they want BF3....

Again since I do not know the terms of dealing with Steam... it would be hard for me to "tell" EA what they should do.

Perhaps EA feels they don't need Steam. ya know?
True, if customers want BF3. But, not everyone plays FPS and we dont need their game to survive. EA, as a company, needs us more than we need them.

Yeah, its really hard to comment on EAs situation not knowing the terms for being on Steam behind the scenes. I really dont think its not a monetary thing though, its more that they want to get some people to flow to origin. Id probably do the same as well. Id put my heavy hitter games on my platform and make people come to me...EA wants origin to be a major competitor of Steam one day. EA wants to take over everything.

Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:04 PM   #1026
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrobrewer View Post
Exactly my point.... who knows what the terms of steam are? Perhaps they are the greedy ones.

It is funny.... how people jump to conclusions.
If steam were the greedy ones, then a lot of the indie games on steam would not be able to survive.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:25 PM   #1027
stormy13
Radeon R600

stormy13 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
Battlefield 3 not being on Steam, if true, is going to be the one thing that absolutely kills it when it comes to really defeating Modern Warfare 3, I'm afraid. When you cut out a userbase that enormous, you're just asking for trouble.
Don't think so. Look back at BFBC2, there were far more that bought the game either retail or from some other DD than Steam. That can easily be seen by comparing the numbers playing shown here,

http://bfbcs.com/pc

which as of right now is just over 27,000. Looking at Steams stats page,

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

it peaked at just over 11,000 in the past hour with just over 9000 playing right now through Steam. So 18,000 playing that aren't running the game through Steam.

Somehow that sort of makes your doom and gloom about not being on Steam killing BF3 not likely to happen.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:47 PM   #1028
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

SD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Don't think so. Look back at BFBC2, there were far more that bought the game either retail or from some other DD than Steam. That can easily be seen by comparing the numbers playing shown here,

it peaked at just over 11,000 in the past hour with just over 9000 playing right now through Steam. So 18,000 playing that aren't running the game through Steam.

Somehow that sort of makes your doom and gloom about not being on Steam killing BF3 not likely to happen.
You should take a marketing class some time. 11/27 = about 40% of your market you are telling to go piss themselves. What sane company does that?
SD-[Inc] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:32 PM   #1029
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Meh steam big deal, people are suckers and steam has them by the balls on their terms, they have created an army of steam fanbois. I remember a time when everyone used to piss and moan when a game could only be bought and played with steam online.. plus all of its bugs etc.

Steam is good but I dont think most normal people will care where they get BF3.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:47 PM   #1030
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Looks like Gamestop are trying to reduce Steam's market share. EA probably agreed to this for special deals. Strange how just because Steam was one of the first and grew it now is the big threat. Clearly Steam is a good tool for developers and gamers with many publishers also loving it. Not everybody that was going to buy it on Steam will buy it elsewhere, it may reduce Steam market share slightly but probably just less sales on the PC.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:04 PM   #1031
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

CyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post

1/3 of the population playing the game from steam is still a darn lot though you have to admit, especially compared to everything else, thats a rather big chunk
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:54 PM   #1032
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanBlues View Post
1/3 of the population playing the game from steam is still a darn lot though you have to admit, especially compared to everything else, thats a rather big chunk
Yer it is a fair chunk, but think of it this way, its now going to be 100% on origin
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:04 PM   #1033
xNaquada
/u/xnaquada

xNaquada is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by demowhc View Post
Yer it is a fair chunk, but think of it this way, its now going to be 100% on origin
No, thats quite a elementary way of looking at the data. The argument here is more advanced. For example:

Would you rather have
100% of 1million
or
60% of 3million

Dont forget this is EA's big AAA game this year thats gonna have 125million$ of advertising ALONE. I dont think finding ways to loose ANY percentage of a consumer base is a profitable idea, especially considering its competitor is a direct competitor.... not many people will probably buy both MW3 and BF3, for many (of course not all) its one or the other.
xNaquada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:07 AM   #1034
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Just to put it out there. Pre-order this game from www.cdkeyshere.com for 27$ like a boss on crack pipe.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:17 AM   #1035
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNaquada View Post
No, thats quite a elementary way of looking at the data. The argument here is more advanced. For example:

Would you rather have
100% of 1million
or
60% of 3million

Dont forget this is EA's big AAA game this year thats gonna have 125million$ of advertising ALONE. I dont think finding ways to loose ANY percentage of a consumer base is a profitable idea, especially considering its competitor is a direct competitor.... not many people will probably buy both MW3 and BF3, for many (of course not all) its one or the other.
Yes but EA are concerned about having 100% control over their product and no doubt they will be expanding on the (probable) success of BF3 with future installments, aswell as bad company and other EA series etc. They know it will hurt sales a little but are looking at the broader picture imo. BF3 will still sell like crazy.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:48 AM   #1036
Roxen
Drunk sexy prick

Roxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] View Post
11/27 = about 40% of your market you are telling to go piss themselves. What sane company does that?
Are you saying that anyone who purchased BFBC2 on steam would not have purchased it elsewhere if it wasn't available on steam?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:07 AM   #1037
demo
space cadet

Have to say my first impressions of origin are good, I scratched the crap out of my MoH disc and felt like reinstalling it, origin downloaded it in 7 minutes I've never had these speeds from steam. But that is the extent of my origin usage so far, it may prove to be terrible..
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:58 AM   #1038
phexus
Radeon Evergreen

phexus is still being judged by the masses

Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:06 PM   #1039
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

kind of funny, and he does an alright impersonation of the dude too.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:42 PM   #1040
mcrobrewer
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] View Post
You should take a marketing class some time. 11/27 = about 40% of your market you are telling to go piss themselves. What sane company does that?

EA is not saying that at all. If EA produces the product people want to buy... people will buy it.

I suspect many publishers will be looking at how the EA service works, and seeing if they can go that route as well.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:47 PM   #1041
gramboh
Casual gamer

gramboh is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxen View Post
Are you saying that anyone who purchased BFBC2 on steam would not have purchased it elsewhere if it wasn't available on steam?
BC2 was my first Battlefield game, and I probably wouldn't have purchased it if it wasn't on Steam for two reasons:

1) My friends, with whom I play most MP games, tipped me off to it on Steam and we all pre-ordered, without the "community" aspect of my friends list on Steam, I would probably have just kept playing TF2 since I was never into BF (played a few hours of 1942 at a LAN cafe years ago).
2) It was easy to make an impulse purchase on Steam (4-pack pre-order, click mouse a few times).

If BF3 isn't on Steam I will not be pre-ordering, and will wait for reviews/few months of patches before considering buying retail. I think EA is making a strategic mistake by trying to ignore a 30+ Million user install base on the "leading" platform for BF3.

It would be like a band not releasing a major album on iTunes.
1x Seagate 7200.11 1TB SATA2 + 1x Hitatchi 5K3000 3TB SATA3 (plus another two of same for offline eSATA backup)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer w/ Klipsch Promedia 4.1 and Sennheiser HD570
Antec P182B - Corsair 520HX PSU

Windows 7 Professional x64
3DMark Vantage: 22045 / 3DMark11: 4314

Netbook: Asus 1015PN (Atom 1.5GHz, 2GB DDR3, 250GB HDD, NVidia ION2, 10in LCD, Windows 7 Starter)
Now Playing - Battlefield 3, Super Meat Boy, The Witcher 2, SHIFT 2 Unleashed, Jamestown, DOTA 2, Team Fortress 2
gramboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:28 PM   #1042
pradvan
Sla

pradvan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
It would be like a band not releasing a major album on iTunes.
This.

End of argument.
pradvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:43 PM   #1043
Ninja6.
Banned

Ninja6. is still being judged by the masses

Is it just me that uses Steam to buy everything apart from new releases?

Their pricing structure on new releases is terrible. You can save an easy £10 just by buying from Amazon.

BF3 not being on Steam is hardly going to decimate sales. It is stupid to say that sales won't go down, but if EA reckons they're going to get more money if more people buy from places they get a bigger cut from, more power to them.

Because let's face it, only very few people will not buy this game because it's not on Steam, vs. the amount of people that will buy this game whether it's on Steam or not, but would favour the Steam option.

And remember, all of the people saying they won't buy BF3 if it's not on Steam, probably said they wouldn't buy MW:2 because it doesn't have dedicated servers as well
Ninja6. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:06 PM   #1044
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Steam pricing outside of sales is absolutely crap.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:09 PM   #1045
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
since you buy steam keys from other websites, you don't have to deal with that, right?
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:14 PM   #1046
KAC
That postcount though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
since you buy steam keys from other websites, you don't have to deal with that, right?
Yes, but there are some games on steam that are not available elsewhere and hence, I also have to wait it out to purchase.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 04:13 PM   #1047
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
True.

If I buy it, ill be buying it from a online retailer or at a shop in town, can probably save £10 doing it that way, as Steam prices are nearly always a joke.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:01 PM   #1048
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Same here, steam is simply way too expensive on release days.
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:10 PM   #1049
logical
What is my purpose?

Seems true for anywhere other than the US. They are the same price as any other retail store in the US.

Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:46 PM   #1050
Auric
Bananad

Auric is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Just to put it out there. Pre-order this game from www.cdkeyshere.com for 27$ like a boss on crack pipe.
But the full version (very special edition) is $40 for download vs $50 shipped elsewhere. Savings, yes. Worth it? Meh.