Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Operating Systems
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Operating Systems Discussion topics on operating systems including all iterations of Windows, Linux, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

Old Aug 10, 2009, 02:20 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

Default Win 7 RTM and Office 2007 and IE8

Well just when I think all is going well, having tried multiple media, Office 2007 (specifically Outlook) has issues. after install and the initial setup which goes without a hitch, after a reboot I have to run a repair just to be able to open Outlook.

I have tried a 2 retail CD's and a Technet Download. Bad media is not the problem here and appears to be a problem perusing the issue boards as well. I just wouldn't have thunk Office would have an issue so I never bothered to look and it worked great in the RC. This issue has happened on the multiple machines I have tested with and is not machine specific.

Installing Office 2007 basically takes a nice stable Win7 build and puts it in the crapper really fast.

Also a major annoyance so far is the random launching of the IE8 initial setup screen. Seems about every few browser opens I have to redo the feature selections. It does this on every machine I have tested on and is not machine specific.

Oh well back to testing. Anyone else having these issues?

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 04:20 AM   #2
javiermq
Radeon Volcanic Islands

javiermq is still being judged by the masses

Thats the problem with installing office 2k7, not only on win7 but all windows versions. office2k7 installs too much additional crappy programs that cannot be uninstalled unless office2k7 itself is uninstalled too. I noticed that, and just quit using 2k7, and went for openoffice instead. Much better.
02:55 Mackey-IW
No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

Steam's Logic on currency: $1 =€1
The euro is just a european version of the dollar! ITS TEH SAME THING!!
javiermq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 05:52 AM   #3
oasked
Stuck in the mud

oasked is still being judged by the masses

Are you installing the Service packs?

I have no problems at all running Office 2007 on Windows 7 64-bit RC.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:59 AM   #4
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasked View Post
Are you installing the Service packs?

I have no problems at all running Office 2007 on Windows 7 64-bit RC.
All updates installed and it worked fine in the RC for me but the RTM is a different story.

Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:03 AM   #5
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by javiermq View Post
Thats the problem with installing office 2k7, not only on win7 but all windows versions. office2k7 installs too much additional crappy programs that cannot be uninstalled unless office2k7 itself is uninstalled too. I noticed that, and just quit using 2k7, and went for openoffice instead. Much better.
Open Office may work but is not much better by any means and I have not had a problem with Office 2007 until now and has always worked flawlessly.

Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:54 AM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I've not had any problems with Office 07 and Win 7 RC; done 5 installs so far. However my install media has the Office 07 SP2 included (extract the msp's from the SP exe and place in the Updates folder in the ISO).

I have seen the random IE8 welcome screen pop up on one of my Win 7 installs, it was after I had a failed windows update; I was installing software at the same time as installing updates, getting in a hurry trying to do both at the same time.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:22 AM   #7
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
I've not had any problems with Office 07 and Win 7 RC; done 5 installs so far. However my install media has the Office 07 SP2 included (extract the msp's from the SP exe and place in the Updates folder in the ISO).

I have seen the random IE8 welcome screen pop up on one of my Win 7 installs, it was after I had a failed windows update; I was installing software at the same time as installing updates, getting in a hurry trying to do both at the same time.
I never had an issue with the RC as 2007 worked perfectly with it and this is purely with the RTM. I'll try the integrating of SP2 to the image and see if that helps. Currently, I have installed and updated to current before I even opened an application which is how I have always done it.

Very odd I never would have thought office would have been an issue.

Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:35 AM   #8
javiermq
Radeon Volcanic Islands

javiermq is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabran View Post
Open Office may work but is not much better by any means and I have not had a problem with Office 2007 until now and has always worked flawlessly.
By much better I meant Open Office doesnt install all the bloat of additional programs office 2k7 does, and which i dont use and just take up HD space.
02:55 Mackey-IW
No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

Steam's Logic on currency: $1 =€1
The euro is just a european version of the dollar! ITS TEH SAME THING!!
javiermq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:43 AM   #9
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Well the culprit was Outlook 2007 and appears to have issues with 7 right now from the many tech boards and technet.

I have a ticket opened with MS for the issue but without Outlook installed it is as happy as can be.

Until then it's windows live mail which is not horrible and functions as it should.

I'm still perturbed it made it past QC.. I don't have a glamorous environment by any means and is as basic as it can get so how it made it through is unacceptable.

Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:53 PM   #10
-=Antimatter=-
Radeon Sea Islands

-=Antimatter=- is still being judged by the masses

No issues with 2k7 Enterprise and RTM x64 here. Very odd that you're having major issues. Don't they have an image on Technet with SP2 integrated, or am I remembering wrong?
-=Antimatter=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:15 PM   #11
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Antimatter=- View Post
No issues with 2k7 Enterprise and RTM x64 here. Very odd that you're having major issues. Don't they have an image on Technet with SP2 integrated, or am I remembering wrong?
I got my 2007 pro image from technet and it's SP1 integrated not SP2. I have tried Retail, OEM and technet , all produce the same issue.

This was after a fresh install of Win7 x64 and nothing but office 2007 pro installed with all Microsoft updates applied. so there was no 3rd party conflicts that could have happened.

MS was able to reproduce the issue so I know I'm not crazy I'll wait and see what they have to say. At least I don't have to pay for the support

The rest of the office 2007 suite works perfectly, I just can't use outlook for the time being until I get a fix.

Other than this it has been smooth sailing so far.

Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:15 PM   #12
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by javiermq View Post
By much better I meant Open Office doesnt install all the bloat of additional programs office 2k7 does, and which i dont use and just take up HD space.
Umm.. Custom Install...

Select the app(s) you want, and set the rest for install when "needed".

Silly newbs, only ever using "typical" for a reason to hate... Oh and Open Office comes with "tool bars" and lots of unneccesary apps as well if you don't unselect them.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:49 PM   #13
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabran View Post
MS was able to reproduce the issue so I know I'm not crazy I'll wait and see what they have to say. At least I don't have to pay for the support
Let us know!
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 06:33 PM   #14
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Let us know!
I will pass it on when I hear back. Hopefully it doesn't take horribly long.