Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:24 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
TheMonkeyBoyz
Banned

TheMonkeyBoyz is still being judged by the masses

Default New Interview with Catalyst Maker at Nordic - pretty solid interview

Here it is:

http://www.nordichardware.com/interv.../ATi_Catalyst/

Very nice interview.

Here are a couple of things that caught my eye:

Quote:
[NH] TFT-monitors are gaining popularity, even among gamers. Will there be an option to FORCE the monitor not to scale the image to panel size, that is to bypass the internal scaling mechanism in the TFT-monitor?

[ATi] When a mode is requested by a user we look at the EDID data and if the monitor reports the mode, we drive it using the EDID information.

If the requested mode is non-native, and it is reported in EDID, it means the panel scales the image on those modes. We give higher priority to panel scaling. This means if HW scaling is turned off through our control panel, we still use panel scaling if available. I am assuming that you are requesting a new option to not use panel scaling or graphic ASIC scaling. This however will lead to borders and it does not look good if you have low mode centered on a big resolution panel.
This is a major bummer. Many of the gamers out there who might move to TFT's would
like to have those borders and have the image centered in the middle of the screen so
that the actual/true number of pixels is represented and there is no pixelation. At the
very least, they'd like the option to toggle between them. Not giving this option is lame...

Quote:
[NH] How do you prioritize what games/applications should get the most attention? Do you simply go by sales figures, the graveness of the problems or perhaps some other preferences?

[ATi] CATALYST CREW is key in assisting in this process. We usually go by the number of reports a certain bug has. For anyone that does not know, CATALYST CREW is a key component for driver feedback. . It is a web-based form that lets users enter problem reports (or even feature suggestions). We read each and every one of those reports and run them through a database that spits out reports of problem reports per application. That way we can easily isolate the most pressing issues our users are facing, and take the steps to resolving them. Below is a link to it and I suggest everyone use it.

http://apps.ati.com/driverfeedback/
This is just odd. I remember when there was the issue with the Catalyst 3.8's
and the "Turbo Flicker" issue, which many of us experienced, though only a few monitors
who were already weak got damaged, CM said that nobody had submitted any reports
about the problem to them. But I am aware of DOZENS of people who did. That's pretty
frustrating to have him yet again ask us to contribute to the Cat Crew program in public
like this when the last time we did and had a big issue ATI just totally went into denial.

Still, I am hopeful that in the future this will not be repeated...

Quote:
[NH] Are there still hardware features left that aren't supported/exposed in current drivers? If so could you give us any hints of what they might be?

[ATi] No not really. Everything that we plan on releasing has been exposed very early with CATALYST drivers. Of course if we find something new that hasn't been thought of as of yet, we would investigate. New features will be software based rather than hardware based.

[NH] In very general terms, how long does it take to maximize driver performance? Is there for an example still substantial performance to squeeze out of the R3x0 architecture?

[ATi] This depends on whether it's an existing game or a new one. In my opinion there is no simple answer but I would say anywhere between 1-6 months. For the R3x0 there could be some performance boosts but of course we won't release them if they impact image quality in any way.
Sounds like the current crop of hardware is pretty well utilized by the drivers. That
is very cool in a way, but don't expect huge increases in performance. But if they keep the
focus on Stability and Compatibility, we should continue to get good results.

Just wanted to share - I would think reading the whole interview would be worthwhile.

I'm pretty impressed with the questions and the answers, especially the Linux stuff.
Good job by all involved in this one, I think. Keep up the good work, fella's!

Last edited by TheMonkeyBoyz : Mar 22, 2004 at 12:32 PM.
TheMonkeyBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 01:51 PM   #2
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Moved, you should know better than to post in the cat support forum
Old Mar 22, 2004, 02:18 PM   #3
TheMonkeyBoyz
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by spyre
Moved, you should know better than to post in the cat support forum
It was not an intentional slight. I thought since Catalyst Maker deals with
tech support type stuff, it went there. He talked about the Cat Crew thing.

Please - lighten up. I meant no disrespect, no malice - it was just a goof
on my part by putting it in the wrong forum. Ok?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 22, 2004, 03:20 PM   #4
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMonkeyBoyz
It was not an intentional slight. I thought since Catalyst Maker deals with
tech support type stuff, it went there. He talked about the Cat Crew thing.

Please - lighten up. I meant no disrespect, no malice - it was just a goof
on my part by putting it in the wrong forum. Ok?
Example of the type of post to be kept to a PM?

Great interview...hopefully Linux drivers are released sometime soon.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 03:45 PM   #5
TheMonkeyBoyz
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MrEMan4k
Example of the type of post to be kept to a PM?
Point taken - sorry.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 03:54 PM   #6
Hanners
Zetsubou Sensei

Hanners is still being judged by the masses

This question caught my eye:

[NH] An option for WMV acceleration has been seen in some OEM driver sets. Is this feature fully implemented in the official Catalyst sets yet?

[ATi] Really, I didn't know that. It shouldn't be there. We have hardware acceleration for Windows Media Video coming, but we need Microsoft to provide an update to Windows first. Our code is complete in the control panel option, but the deblocking code is not functional yet, due to the Microsoft dependency. Unfortunately we didn't get all the dependencies we needed, so as of this time it’s just a hidden checkbox which does nothing.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 08:05 PM   #7
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Span mode

Wish someone had asked about span mode and 3D glass support, altough not supporting expanded taskbar leaves me less than hopefull Can't have everything I guess...

A note of interest perhaps - It may only be my laptop, and I might be misunderstanding completely, but being powered by a M9 the LCD will scale at default. I can still opt to disable scaling if I want to through the ATi control panel. Game will then run at native 1400x1050 resolution rendered in say 1024x768 not scaled.
kboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 08:08 PM   #8
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Use ultramon if you want an expanded taskbar on the 2nd monitor, I use it all the time its great
Old Mar 22, 2004, 08:51 PM   #9
Gamefreak
Radeon R600

Gamefreak is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanners
This question caught my eye:

[NH] An option for WMV acceleration has been seen in some OEM driver sets. Is this feature fully implemented in the official Catalyst sets yet?

[ATi] Really, I didn't know that. It shouldn't be there. We have hardware acceleration for Windows Media Video coming, but we need Microsoft to provide an update to Windows first. Our code is complete in the control panel option, but the deblocking code is not functional yet, due to the Microsoft dependency. Unfortunately we didn't get all the dependencies we needed, so as of this time it’s just a hidden checkbox which does nothing.
Me too!!!

The latest WMP9 is version 3133 in WinXP SP2 RC1; I wonder what they are still waiting for?
Gamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 09:26 PM   #10
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

yeah sometimes if the CP goes wonky or something it will show up but its not supposed to be their

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:12 PM   #11
drumphil
Radeon Volcanic Islands

drumphil can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydrumphil can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

my favourite quote :

"3Dmark – Perfect example of the messenger that got shot "

12Bass: re: 9/11 nano-thermite conspiracy theory "Nanotermites... turns out it was a spelling error. Also explains the lack of explosions before the collapse."
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:43 PM   #12
scottweil4nd
Radeon Sea Islands

scottweil4nd is still being judged by the masses

R42x – You wont be disappointed
Old Mar 22, 2004, 11:53 PM   #13
logen1869F
Banned

logen1869F is still being judged by the masses

great read, skipped thro most of the Linux stuff.

but im waiting for the interview that talk’s about r42x in detail

PS: is cat maker back in rage3d from his self imposed exil?
logen1869F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 03:26 AM   #14
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Very good and candid interview. Cat Maker is straight forward and I think he does well in representing ATI. Now should I buy a R420? ?

Reason, I need to upgrade my second machine, what would be better then to just stick in my G9700 Pro into it .
noko is offline   Reply With Quote