Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:21 AM   #6121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
Really wasn't in the mood to race so I got back behind him and he downshifted and started taking off,

but I reeled him in easily. Must not have had much done to it.
lol didnt feel like racing but I reeled him in guys

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2019, 07:35 PM   #6122
DigitalDemon
Flaccid Flexor

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Just some casual pedal modulation
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2019, 07:49 PM   #6123
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
lol didnt feel like racing but I reeled him in guys
When someone takes off in front of you first you can't help but see how your car stacks up.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 29, 2019, 07:38 AM   #6124
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Put the snow tires on last night. Woke up to 1/2inch of snow in the grass.
The cold is back.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 08:05 PM   #6125
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Ordered new headunit, amp, compact self-powered sub, and Focal speakers for the Subaru.

I am having the worst time trying to get the headunit wired up. Crutchfield really dropped the ball. Recommended a Metra harness that doesn't fill everything I need. I have a lot of wiring that I'm going to have to splice. My main issue right now is getting the parking brake sensor. I've found the origin of the lead, but it doesn't make sense to have to run the wiring from the driver kick panel at the fusebox. Since the headunit has no reading on the parking brake being activated, it's locking me out of Bluetooth and not allowing me to pair a device.

I'm having a fit with this thing. At a minimum, the headunit powers up and the speakers are functioning. Just gotta keep grinding it out tomorrow.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 08:18 AM   #6126
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Ordered new headunit, amp, compact self-powered sub, and Focal speakers for the Subaru.

I am having the worst time trying to get the headunit wired up. Crutchfield really dropped the ball. Recommended a Metra harness that doesn't fill everything I need. I have a lot of wiring that I'm going to have to splice. My main issue right now is getting the parking brake sensor. I've found the origin of the lead, but it doesn't make sense to have to run the wiring from the driver kick panel at the fusebox. Since the headunit has no reading on the parking brake being activated, it's locking me out of Bluetooth and not allowing me to pair a device.

I'm having a fit with this thing. At a minimum, the headunit powers up and the speakers are functioning. Just gotta keep grinding it out tomorrow.
If the head unit is just looking for power for the Bluetooth lockout, couldn't you just loop it into the ignition controlled power wire already going to the head unit?
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 08:36 AM   #6127
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I have the ignition power wire and battery power wire connected already. Headunit powers on when key is turned to ACC and when the motor is running. Bluetooth is locked out in both scenarios though. I suppose I could splice the parking brake sensor wire into something else .. that might work .. need to look at the wiring diagram again.

I think it needs to have that parking brake sensor wired up. That's my bet as of right now. Should have that done today and we'll see if that fixes it.

It gets dark at 1630 which is irritating as **** when you're trying to work on stuff
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Last edited by Nunz : Nov 8, 2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 09:14 AM   #6128
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I have the ignition power wire and battery power wire connected already. Headunit powers on when key is turned to ACC and when the motor is running. Bluetooth is locked out in both scenarios though. I suppose I could splice the parking brake sensor wire into something else .. that might work .. need to look at the wiring diagram again.

I think it needs to have that parking brake sensor wired up. That's my bet as of right now. Should have that done today and we'll see if that fixes it.

It gets dark at 1630 which is irritating as **** when you're trying to work on stuff
I'm saying, can you not splice that Bluetooth wire into the ignition power wire? I'm assuming it's only looking for 12V. The parking light sensor would likely only be sending 12V.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 09:46 AM   #6129
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Sorry I read your post right after waking up. Brain wasn't turned on yet. That could work, I'm going to try that when I get back out there.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 11:48 AM   #6130
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I took the JVC circa '98 head unit out of my car, dismantled it, removed the disc drive, and repaired a bunch of solder joints. *hugs his Hakko desoldering gun*

It no longer power cycles randomly, the radio picks up much better, and the sound is much fuller. Not bad for free fixing.

Had an alternator fail, fixed that and the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm decided to leak fuel onto the wrong side... Sigh... Aeromotive parts aren't cheap and that one held up for a month.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:24 PM   #6131
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Left it out in the rain, because it's too big to fit in my damn garage.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2019, 06:53 PM   #6132
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Called to get an update and found out my service advisor no longer works there. Really the only consistent thing when I take my truck in is that the service advisor quits or is fired.

Still have no idea what's going on, I got patched through to an unidentified voicemail, left a message, haven't heard back.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 07:16 PM   #6133
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Sell.That.****.

I finished the headunit, amp, and full Focal 4 woofer+tweeters. What an absolute PITA - I will never do car stereo again It's just not worth the time it takes.

I still have to put in the sub, but that should be pretty easy as the wiring for the sub will be RCA. Just a matter of running the wires from the passenger seat to the headunit. I also have to install the parking brake bypass, as Subaru, in their infinite genius, do not have a parking brake sensor wire running through the harnesses in the center console area. I have no idea how the stock radio knew when I was parked or not, but it did, and the parking brake sensor is not present in any of the harnesses that I have access to.

I tried tricking it by grounding the cable, but aftermarket headunit makers have gotten smart - the headunit now checks for a 12V and then a ground, so if you just ground it, it won't unlock. I bought this bypass thing that I'll use T-Taps to wire in to the already finished connections.

After that, I am done for a while. I spent all 3 days off (Tues-Thurs) busting my ass on this thing.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 09:15 PM   #6134
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

That sounds like a gigantic pain in the ass. The after market radio I put in the BRZ was a breeze. Just grounded the parking brake wire to the radio bracket and it worked perfectly for 3 years. I wish I could suffer through the same problems as you to get an aftermarket unit in the car. But I can't...too many vehicle systems tied into the proprietary infotainment system. New cars are annoying.

Good luck man.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:03 AM   #6135
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Dang, this thread has had over 1 million views.

Found out tonight the Colorado is on Consumer Reports top 10 list of least reliable vehicles. Not sure if they're listed in order but it sure seems to be at the top of the list.

The 10 least-reliable cars of 2020
Chevrolet Colorado
Chevrolet Camaro
Jeep Wrangler
Alfa Romeo Giulia
Volkswagen Atlas
Volkswagen Tiguan
Acura MDX
Tesla Model X
Chrysler Pacifica
Chevrolet Traverse

Last edited by Elysian : Nov 16, 2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:18 PM   #6136
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Asked for a buyback via the Twitter agent that's handling my case. Not sure if I have to go a different way or if they can escalate it, they've done alright at handling my current case...
Old Nov 17, 2019, 02:49 PM   #6137
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

First VW dealer I took my Golf R to had no idea how the Haldex system worked. Their tech had no clue how to troubleshoot the system beyond what their computer told him. I tried to discuss it with the tech, but he just didn't get it. So I picked the car up the next day. Second dealer closed too early, couldn't offer loaners, and wasn't open on weekends.

So I pulled the Haldex pump myself yesterday and cleaned the screens on the pump inlet and replaced the seals. Also drained all the fluid out and replaced with fresh fluid. Primed the pump a few times and then took it for a drive. Used launch control twice and it worked flawlessly. AWD is back in action. Problem solved.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 09:35 AM   #6138
Elysian
SCAATSJW

And now, called this morning to try to get a buyback initiated, only to find out the service manager who I've worked with twice in the past, who helped me when I first bought my truck in Feb 2018 and then was so helpful last time I brought it in, no longer works there. This dealer is trash.

Put in a complaint with the BBB to try to jumpstart the buyback process. Have no faith the voicemail I left this morning will be followed up on.

Last edited by Elysian : Nov 18, 2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:18 PM   #6139
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
And now, called this morning to try to get a buyback initiated, only to find out the service manager who I've worked with twice in the past, who helped me when I first bought my truck in Feb 2018 and then was so helpful last time I brought it in, no longer works there. This dealer is trash.

Put in a complaint with the BBB to try to jumpstart the buyback process. Have no faith the voicemail I left this morning will be followed up on.
Man, that really stinks. I am sorry to hear that things have come to this point with the truck.

Is there a state or federal agency that could help you move things along with the buyback process?
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2019, 06:27 PM   #6140
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Sitting at the dealer waiting for a manager, since no one here will return a damned call.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 03:46 PM   #6141
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I have my truck back. They did fix the hard downshift issue and the issue of it kicking the rear end out on certain turns. They reset the trans computer and had it relearn the shifts.

I've had this truck since 90mi, and it's always exhibited this behavior, so only thing I can think is it "learned" this stuff in the 90mi before I got it.

I'm starting the process to have it bought back, and filled out the paperwork for the BBB today. While doing that I had to calculate how long it's been at the dealer. Came out to 78 days, which is 12.2% of the total time I've owned it, all warranty repair.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 03:52 PM   #6142
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2019, 04:23 PM   #6143
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post

Have my eye on Audi S3's...
Old Nov 22, 2019, 06:45 PM   #6144
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I have my truck back. They did fix the hard downshift issue and the issue of it kicking the rear end out on certain turns. They reset the trans computer and had it relearn the shifts.

I've had this truck since 90mi, and it's always exhibited this behavior, so only thing I can think is it "learned" this stuff in the 90mi before I got it.

I'm starting the process to have it bought back, and filled out the paperwork for the BBB today. While doing that I had to calculate how long it's been at the dealer. Came out to 78 days, which is 12.2% of the total time I've owned it, all warranty repair.
Is the paperwork just a formality, or is there still a chance that the dealer could refuse to buy the truck back?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 07:10 PM   #6145
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
Is the paperwork just a formality, or is there still a chance that the dealer could refuse to buy the truck back?
Definitely a chance of that. Texas lemon laws work against me here because they always gave me a loaner, but there's no harm in trying. 78 days without my truck is excessive.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 08:56 PM   #6146
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Quote:
Definitely a chance of that. Texas lemon laws work against me here because they always gave me a loaner, but there's no harm in trying. 78 days without my truck is excessive.
Yeah, that's just ridiculous. You are not getting what you have paid for, and they have wasted a whole lot of your time.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 05:36 PM   #6147
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Had been considering buying a new Camaro. But, after seeing it on your list and knowing your problems I think I'll just hold off on that. Maybe test drive a Mustang.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2019, 01:05 PM   #6148
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytprice View Post
Had been considering buying a new Camaro. But, after seeing it on your list and knowing your problems I think I'll just hold off on that. Maybe test drive a Mustang.
Do it. I was looking at a neon-ish (don't know the exact color) SS 1LE a couple weeks ago and then talked myself out of it.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2019, 08:55 PM   #6149
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I want to make fun of the midlife crisis mobile discussion above but I won't...

I drove the Swift, it pulls with vigour again, but I desperately need a wheel alignment. It wants the back end to swing around constantly... Drifting a FWD car feels wrong...

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2019, 05:03 PM   #6150
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
I want to make fun of the midlife crisis mobile discussion above but I won't...

I drove the Swift, it pulls with vigour again, but I desperately need a wheel alignment. It wants the back end to swing around constantly... Drifting a FWD car feels wrong...
It's not a midlife crisis. I'm not out trying to pick up chicks the age of my son. I'm very happily married. I've pretty much owned Nova's, Camaro's, GTO's my whole life until family cars became a requirement. Now even at 56 my love of cars hasn't changed. I have a S.S. Impala with over 320 horsepower. But it's FWD so I'm not satisfied. If you want to call that a midlife crisis go with it.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote