Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Sep 14, 2017, 01:13 PM   #661
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
jimjobob
Radeon Sea Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
We'll see more 3rd party support for switch now that it looks like a success. We'll see if 3rd party games sell though... since they haven't traditionally on the gamecube, Wii, or WiiU.

I think the portability of the device is very compelling though, even for hardcore gamers. I expect Doom to do very well on Switch.
My issue is that some of the multi platform games on it cost more. Fate for example can be found for $20 on Vita, $30-40 on PS4 and $60 on Switch.
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2017, 02:01 PM   #662
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjobob View Post
My issue is that some of the multi platform games on it cost more. Fate for example can be found for $20 on Vita, $30-40 on PS4 and $60 on Switch.
Is that because they're releasing old games as if they were new (like Doom), or is it because those little cartridges cost more to manufacture? Or just Nintendo's traditional high-royalty requirements?

deskt0p: 3.5ghz fx6300 - Radeon 6850 - 8 gigs memory

lapt0p: HP ENVY dv7-7212nr - 3.4 GHz/2.4 GHz core i7 - 8 gigs ram - geforce 650m

Just finished: Portal 2, Quantum Conundrum, Sonic Generations
Currently playing: Crysis1, UT2k4, Remake Quake

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2017, 03:19 PM   #663
Mangler
***ERN DAY PRESIDENTIAL

Mangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Eh, if its the only way to play a great game what's the problem?

If getting heavy back into retro gaming lately has proved anything to me its that visuals mean very little, and fun gameplay is everything.
The problem is that I don't like handhelds, especially ones with an extremely low quality tn panel with a resolution that is far too low for the size of the screen thanks to the whole glasses free 3d thing.

I also never found the thing particularly pleasant to hold, I get cramps from it.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 14, 2017, 03:43 PM   #664
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMeteor_of_War exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMeteor_of_War exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMeteor_of_War exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMeteor_of_War exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMeteor_of_War exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMeteor_of_War exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMeteor_of_War exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMeteor_of_War exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMeteor_of_War exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMeteor_of_War exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
The problem is that I don't like handhelds, especially ones with an extremely low quality tn panel with a resolution that is far too low for the size of the screen thanks to the whole glasses free 3d thing.

I also never found the thing particularly pleasant to hold, I get cramps from it.
I guess I can't argue, I'm not a fan of handheld gaming either.

Go play AM2R on PC instead. Its awesome.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:15 PM   #665
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Took my switch on a plane today. Have to admit playing Mario kart on a flight is pretty awesome. Starting to really like the switch.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:02 AM   #666
lviz
On my way

lviz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Took my switch on a plane today. Have to admit playing Mario kart on a flight is pretty awesome. Starting to really like the switch.
I played Zelda during two flights a couple of weeks ago. Switch makes travelling quite a lot more pleasant than I expected. Come to think of it, I've only used my PS4 a couple of times since late May. I already packed other consoles to boxes due to non-use in the summer. The PS4 only earns its place in the living room due to multimedia capabilities now.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 08:15 AM   #667
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

mynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lviz View Post
I played Zelda during two flights a couple of weeks ago. Switch makes travelling quite a lot more pleasant than I expected. Come to think of it, I've only used my PS4 a couple of times since late May. I already packed other consoles to boxes due to non-use in the summer. The PS4 only earns its place in the living room due to multimedia capabilities now.
I played mine on a long ride to houston , and then back after the flood. i love how fast it charges, or even stays charged well. Played zelda , and then 1-2 switch games in a van full of kids is quite the experience.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 08:16 AM   #668
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I wanted to bring my Switch when we visited the northeast a few months ago, but couldn't because we had a house-sitter, and they wanted to use it
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:53 AM   #669
Mangler
***ERN DAY PRESIDENTIAL

Mangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMangler kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Hmm, seems like buying a SD card for additional storage isn't going to be optional in the future going by more or less all upcoming AAA releasing requiring a 5GB+ data pack download.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 02:05 PM   #670
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber
Folding@home

Quote:
Hmm, seems like buying a SD card for additional storage isn't going to be optional in the future going by more or less all upcoming AAA releasing requiring a 5GB+ data pack download.
That's why I bought a 256GB SD card
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:36 AM   #671
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

mynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

same here. from the get go.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 05:21 PM   #672
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach is not someone to be trifled withSasquach is not someone to be trifled withSasquach is not someone to be trifled withSasquach is not someone to be trifled withSasquach is not someone to be trifled withSasquach is not someone to be trifled withSasquach is not someone to be trifled withSasquach is not someone to be trifled with

Nintendo Switch is next gen?

Is current gen enough?
Doom seems to think so.

Aside from the whole off-screen vs direct capture quality which is skewing the image quality, there is some obvious differences in textures, and lower polygon counts. But otherwise it looks like the Console that I imagined Nintendo to have, something that has *enough* power to run some of the multiplats vs the PS4/Xbone, and not with a last gen vs next gen disadvantage.

Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Samsung Syncmaster 205BW (21" widescreen) on AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Logitech Z-5300 THX 5.1 surround and Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2017, 05:45 PM   #673
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Doom at 30 fps? No thank you!

lapt0p: HP ENVY dv7-7212nr - 3.4 GHz/2.4 GHz core i7 - 8 gigs ram - geforce 650m

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM   #674
Mangler
***ERN DAY PRESIDENTIAL

A portable doom 2016 is still pretty neat.
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #675
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Subscriber

Quote:
A portable doom 2016 is still pretty neat.
Yeah, neat would be the word. Hopefully they sell enough copies to actually spend more money to bring games to the switch that are way more optimized.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM   #676
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Yeah, neat would be the word. Hopefully they sell enough copies to actually spend more money to bring games to the switch that are way more optimized.
It's prolly as optimized as it can get on the platform!

Don't get me wrong, it's amazing they're able to do it at all, and if I had no other way to play the game I'd prolly go for it on Switch.

But for me, the 60fps is a really critical feature. If I can choose any other platform for Doom at 60fps, I'll take that instead of the Switch version. For this game in particular, the 60fps is more important to me than the portability.

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850