Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News » Submit News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Submit News Use this forum to submit News items to Rage3D. Acceptable News items you post in here will be moved into the main "News" forum or one of the appropriate news sub-forum categories, where it will appear on Rage3D.

Old Jul 23, 2016, 02:23 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default AMD mulls a CPU+GPU super-chip in a server reboot

Lisa Su commenting on an earnings call Thursday: http://www.pcworld.com/article/30991...er-reboot.html
Quote:
Su's comment was in response to a question on whether AMD would ultimately combine its Zen CPU with a GPU based on the upcoming Vega architecture into one big chip for enterprise servers and supercomputing.

"Obviously, it'll come in time," Su said. "It's an area where combining the two technologies makes a lot of sense."
I am thinking more inline with a CPU + GPU up to 2x each on an interposer using HBM memory vice a single big chip. Maybe if Zen is successful and AMD shows a fair profit will that come about. The two would make a lot of sense for HPC systems.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2016, 04:00 PM   #2
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog knows why the caged bird singsSubCog knows why the caged bird singsSubCog knows why the caged bird singsSubCog knows why the caged bird singsSubCog knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
Lisa Su commenting on an earnings call Thursday: http://www.pcworld.com/article/30991...er-reboot.html

I am thinking more inline with a CPU + GPU up to 2x each on an interposer using HBM memory vice a single big chip. Maybe if Zen is successful and AMD shows a fair profit will that come about. The two would make a lot of sense for HPC systems.
I worked at a startup a couple years back that was focused on some real high-power computing for big-data analytics, and we were using multi-titan setups that really blew away anything in the cpu arena. It's really not a bad idea at all, for servers that really have to crunch a ton of data.

deskt0p: 3.5ghz fx6300 - Radeon 6850 - 8 gigs memory

lapt0p: HP ENVY dv7-7212nr - 3.4 GHz/2.4 GHz core i7 - 8 gigs ram - geforce 650m

Just finished: Portal 2, Quantum Conundrum, Sonic Generations
Currently playing: Crysis1, UT2k4, Remake Quake

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850