Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:56 AM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I understand. You are near the end then. I am now doing day 1.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2020, 03:07 PM   #212
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

SD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I understand. You are near the end then. I am now doing day 1.
I thought so too. But they are not rushing things in the end. I don’t mind at all because they are ramping up the tensions, changing environments, and making it harder as you go. It’s a lot of fun. Plus messing with the timelines is makes things more emotional because you know some of the endings for some of the characters you are starting to really like. Hope it keeps going ...
SD-[Inc] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:52 PM   #213
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I am about 20 hours in and destroying Scars.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 27, 2020, 12:51 AM   #214
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

SD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I am about 20 hours in and destroying Scars.
There is actually a lot more to go from where you are at.

I finished it tonight. Here is my attempt at a spoiler free review. I am still processing the ending. It definitely seemed like the right way to end. It was a true ending but still left room for a sequel. It's essentially a story of hate and revenge. It tries to show how hard it is to let go and what it takes to realize the destructive path you are on. And it tells it from multiple perspectives. Pretty heavy stuff actually. The final scene between Joel and Ellie was classic. Very ambitious attempt at pushing the level of story telling up a notch. I'd give them credit for the pacing and the way they showed the bonds and emotions that formed throughout the game from each of the characters involved. You want to root both for and against the main characters at any given moment in the game.

As far as gameplay goes it is 100% classic The Last of Us gameplay. But ratcheted up to a whole new level of challenge, variety, and choices. There is far more opportunities to explore and collect materials than in the first game. The upgrades and skills are fun and varied. The weapon upgrades are pretty standard stuff. But the upgrade workbench is a work of art where you actually watch the character use tools to physically modify the weapons based on the upgrade you chose. Really cool. The enemies are tough. The humans in Seattle are run by two main factions. One very militarized the other run by religious zealots. Fighting each is a totally different and fun experience. The infected are all of the same from the original game. But there is at least 3 new enemy types that are scary as crap.

To summarize my thoughts, if you liked the first game don't let all the SJW-phobic stuff make you skip this one. You can just bite your bigot lips and push through those parts of the game. It is a super minor part of an overall excellent experience. It isn't really that important to the story line so Naughty Dog could have skipped it. But, they chose to make the story more inclusive. If that makes you mad maybe you should be looking for bigger problems in life to tackle anyway(IMO). The game is far from perfect though. The 10/10 reviews are exaggerations. Enemy AI is good but not that good. Once you start to learn their tricks it is easy to mow them down. Traversing the environment can be a little inconsistent. Sometimes you can jump a six foot fence. Sometimes a 3 foot one is insurmountable. They do sort of tease endings multiple times. I was invested enough that I really wanted to see how it ended. So, it may have even been a tad too long for me. Overall I'd give it a 9/10 for a very ambition story. 10/10 for building such amazing environments, and 9/10 for gameplay. So probably like a 9.4 overall.

Last edited by SD-[Inc] : Jun 27, 2020 at 01:40 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 01:21 AM   #215
KAC
That postcount though...

Damn man. Now I will try to finish it pronto.

Abby looks like a jacked up dude and also likes to take it up the ass lol. That scene was weird. I was like first they made me feel dirty by showing teenage lesbians, now I gotta watch dudes getting it on.

Last edited by KAC : Jun 27, 2020 at 08:10 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 11:25 AM   #216
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] View Post
~~There is actually a lot more to go from where you are at.

I finished it tonight. Here is my attempt at a spoiler free review.~~~
That's plenty good enough for me. I'm grabbing it in a month or so, thanks for the short but thoughtful review.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 01:55 PM   #217
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

Quote:
Damn man. Now I will try to finish it pronto.

Abby looks like a jacked up dude and also likes to take it up the ass lol. That scene was weird. I was like first they made me feel dirty by showing teenage lesbians, now I gotta watch dudes getting it on.
By the end I really liked that character. Her story is just as tragic as Ellie. Her anger drove her to be the perfect soldier. That’s how she buffed up. In the end she becomes very vulnerable. A big part of the story is how she goes from macho buff girl to a more sympathetic character. She is literally physically torn down by the end. You’ll see as you play. You are getting closer to what you think is a possible ending. But it is not. The game goes on much longer. I will only say that the story cannot end until both characters have fully resolved their anger.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 12:04 AM   #218
KAC
That postcount though...

Not reading your spoiler yet.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 01:08 AM   #219
KAC
That postcount though...

I will say one thing though. Screw the hospital.

Second time I visit and second time my heart is racing like a maniac. Maybe it is 0 light in my room and the 65 inch screen weighing on me. Maybe it is the sound that is set to extremely low and the only sounds I hear are thumps or clicker shrieks. Or maybe it is because I feel my air conditioning is acting up (even though it is working fine) and I am sweaty or just because even with full supplies I never quite feel comfortable taking on the darkness.

But **** the hospital levels. They drive me mad. This reminds me of the scares I had in the first game as well. No other game in history has done this to me. Like ever! Worst is my wife changes direction in her sleep just at the time that a stalker jumps at me. I am so tense that I have to pause the game lol.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 11:02 AM   #220
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

Quote:
I will say one thing though. Screw the hospital.

Second time I visit and second time my heart is racing like a maniac. Maybe it is 0 light in my room and the 65 inch screen weighing on me. Maybe it is the sound that is set to extremely low and the only sounds I hear are thumps or clicker shrieks. Or maybe it is because I feel my air conditioning is acting up (even though it is working fine) and I am sweaty or just because even with full supplies I never quite feel comfortable taking on the darkness.

But **** the hospital levels. They drive me mad. This reminds me of the scares I had in the first game as well. No other game in history has done this to me. Like ever! Worst is my wife changes direction in her sleep just at the time that a stalker jumps at me. I am so tense that I have to pause the game lol.
I knew that was going to mess you up. The ER scenes were possibly the scariest in the game.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 11:04 AM   #221
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

Quote:
Not reading your spoiler yet.
It wasn't too spoilerish. But I agree. Wait until you are done and see if you agree with it then.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 01:55 PM   #222
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

11hrs in and so far, this one is on equal footing with the first.
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2020, 08:30 PM   #223
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Just finished it.

- Graphics - Hell of swan song graphically for the PS4
- Game-play - Was just an improved version of the last game so
- Story - Ouch. It's a harsh story, can't really say more than that without spoiling. But... FFS Ellie! That last part was like c'mon the **** on already

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2020, 05:23 AM   #224
KAC
That postcount though...

Screw you gays. I need to finish this ASAP before someone spoils it for me. I am trying to dodge sniper bullets.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 11:41 AM   #225
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

This video shows a lot of the really cool little details that were added to the game (some gameplay spoilers, no story spoilers):

Old Jun 30, 2020, 12:54 AM   #226
KAC
That postcount though...

Finished it. Amazing game. Could have done away with the lesbians crap to be honest. 9.5/10.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 01:19 AM   #227
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

Quote:
Finished it. Amazing game. Could have done away with the lesbians crap to be honest. 9.5/10.
Awesome! Ghost of Tsushima is next for me.

I was tempted to play a little New Game+ until then. One cool feature they added to New Game+ is a custom difficulty setting. I am such a sloppy player I couldn't have survived on the higher difficulty because of the limited resources. In New Game+ you can set independent difficulty levels for the following settings:
  1. Player - damage you take and checkpoint frequency
  2. Enemies - accuracy and complexity of enemy moves
  3. Allies - effectiveness of allies
  4. Stealth - set enemy awareness and alerting
  5. Resources - varies the amount resources you find

One of my complaints was with the AI. But that probably was due to my lower difficulty setting. It's tempting to play around a little with making stealth and enemies more difficult and keep the resources flowing. It may make for a fun experience.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 03:27 AM   #228
KAC
That postcount though...

I already put it up for sale.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 10:48 AM   #229
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2020, 06:10 PM   #230
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Could have done away with the lesbians crap to be honest.
why? i'm all for things that trigger both sjws and anti-sjws.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 01:35 AM   #231
KAC
That postcount though...

I thought it was needlessly forced. It could have been a story about friendship, or a story about love between male and female etc.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 08:31 AM   #232
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Why would a story about a gay relationship be forced but a straight relationship wouldn't? I don't get the difference.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2020, 08:42 AM   #233
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Why would a story about a gay relationship be forced but a straight relationship wouldn't? I don't get the difference.
The difference is entrenched in the beliefs of the player.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2020, 08:43 AM   #234
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
The difference is entrenched in the beliefs of the player.

I do understand what KAC is talking about though. Whatever the preference, gratuitous is gratuitous and usually pretty shallow, If it flows naturally within the story, then it's just overall story quality I'm concerned with.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 11:13 AM   #235
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Whatever the preference
Yeah, but KAC explicitly mentioned "or a story about love between male and female" so to him the presence of the relationship in the story was not gratuitous, just the sexual orientation of the one's in said relationship.

Had he expressed that he felt any romantic relationship at all in the story would be forced, that would have been totally different and fit more with what you're saying.

Hey, whatever. I don't care about his beliefs he can feel whatever he wants as long as he's not trying to change anyone. But the fact is there's nothing more forced about gay relations in a story than straight, if that's what the characters are. One could just as well say the opposite of straight characters in a relationship.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 11:14 AM   #236
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Yeah, but KAC explicitly mentioned "or a story about love between male and female" so to him the presence of the relationship in the story was not gratuitous, just the sexual orientation of the one's in said relationship.

Had he expressed that he felt any romantic relationship at all in the story would be forced, that would have been totally different and fit more with what you're saying.
KAC is only into gay men, apparently. Lesbians make him itchy.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2020, 11:58 AM   #237
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:

Hey, whatever. I don't care about his beliefs he can feel whatever he wants as long as he's not trying to change anyone. But the fact is there's nothing more forced about gay relations in a story than straight, if that's what the characters are. One could just as well say the opposite of straight characters in a relationship.
It just isn't important enough to me to get heavily vested in a conversation about it lol. Just gave my opinion and that's all.

For anything else you'll have to talk KACkles into coming out of the closet
Old Jul 2, 2020, 02:08 PM   #238
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:

I do understand what KAC is talking about though. Whatever the preference, gratuitous is gratuitous and usually pretty shallow, If it flows naturally within the story, then it's just overall story quality I'm concerned with.
So are you saying that the lesbian stuff in the game was gratuitous or not?

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2020, 02:19 PM   #239
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
It just isn't important enough to me to get heavily vested in a conversation about it lol. Just gave my opinion and that's all.

For anything else you'll have to talk KACkles into coming out of the closet
Its all good man. I don't blame you, these debates never go anywhere productive.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 02:38 PM   #240
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Its all good man. I don't blame you, these debates never go anywhere productive.
I personally think it's going to be a great game for me - I'm not generally bothered by these things unless it's non stop and needless.

I'm looking forward to playing, especially now that it seems all that crap that "leaked" before really had nothing to it.