Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old May 4, 2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Default question about these jiffy brake, quick lube places...

it seems that there is a lot of shady things going on with these companies. Heck even the big time dealerships are pulling scams...what's the benefit of doing this? Sure they make a quick buck...and then they will never see that person use their services again -if they are smart enough.
I would think that a return customers would be easier to sell things to over and over again. I would also imagine that it's tougher to get new customers, then to sell to existing customers who are happy with your service.
Old May 4, 2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne3d View Post
it seems that there is a lot of shady things going on with these companies. Heck even the big time dealerships are pulling scams...what's the benefit of doing this? Sure they make a quick buck...and then they will never see that person use their services again -if they are smart enough.

I would think that a return customers would be easier to sell things to over and over again. I would also imagine that it's tougher to get new customers, then to sell to existing customers who are happy with your service.
Step 1.

See audience to profile

Step 2.

Scam if profitable and likelihood of getting caught is low

Step 3.

Rinse and repeat.

The allure of a quick buck and crappy service is not the norm in my opinion, but you have to be somewhat knowledgeable and if you go to dealerships, treat the service manager you work with well and you'll be surprised at the treatment you get back
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

here's is somebody getting scammed by a mercedes dealership.

Must be nice to be a high-end dealership...you know that the customer has a lot of pocket change, might as well take as much as they can get out of them.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 4, 2012, 10:21 PM   #4
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Most people don't know anything about cars, that's just the way shops operate in general. Finding an honest shop is incredibly tough these days. Hell the place I always go to get exhaust work done told my mom it'd be $2500 to replace her blown out catalytic converters in her Lexus. We've now done it for $700 in parts.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:22 AM   #5
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

wow. That guy did a great job to defend his wallet.

+1!
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 08:50 PM   #6
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Where's CP to defend service technicians
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer H276HL | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 10:56 PM   #7
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne3d View Post
here's is somebody getting scammed by a mercedes dealership.

Must be nice to be a high-end dealership...you know that the customer has a lot of pocket change, might as well take as much as they can get out of them.
I have not watched the video, but the value of the service is what you are willing to pay for it. If fraud is going on that is a different story. Luckily I have a friend who is a mechanic, so whenever my car needed immediate work where i could not fix it myself, I'd call him up to see if they were scamming me with what they offered. Both times I ran into the situation the price was always within reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 07:41 AM   #8
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
Can't in the term of quicklube/quick service places. There are far too many dishonest ones out there.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
They aren't all bad.

I have gone in several times and asked for work to be done and they have refused as it was not needed or done some other work for free that alleviated whatever concern I had.

Again, YMMV but the 2 dealerships I frequent (and have gone to for the past 5-7 years, respectively) have been very on the level and done right by me
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 09:08 AM   #10
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Can't in the term of quicklube/quick service places. There are far too many dishonest ones out there.
It was partially a joke, and partially me being bitter about some work I had done recently at a shop and some stuff they told me that wound up being far from the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
They aren't all bad.

I have gone in several times and asked for work to be done and they have refused as it was not needed or done some other work for free that alleviated whatever concern I had.

Again, YMMV but the 2 dealerships I frequent (and have gone to for the past 5-7 years, respectively) have been very on the level and done right by me
They aren't all bad, but the Jiffy lube in my town is notorious for ****ing up REALLY bad (they've stripped oil drain plugs, forgot to put oil in, put in the completely incorrect oil type/weight, etc.). Most of the dealers by me are pretty good with the exception of Toyota (who forged my mom's name on some loan documents, and then at one point failed my dad's inspection because he didn't use Toyota brake pads) and the Ford dealer's service department is suspect too.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer H276HL | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Old May 7, 2012, 09:20 AM   #11
gamefoo21
Radeon HD5670 1GB

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The Ford dealership here is shisterly, had a 4 wheel alignment done, a month later had to replace front struts, and I have camber bolts. Go in, they don't touch the rear end, and they charged me for a 4 wheel alignment, said they can't do '2 wheel' alignments...

**** em, I don't go there anymore.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 09:24 AM   #12
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
The Ford dealership here is shisterly, had a 4 wheel alignment done, a month later had to replace front struts, and I have camber bolts. Go in, they don't touch the rear end, and they charged me for a 4 wheel alignment, said they can't do '2 wheel' alignments...

**** em, I don't go there anymore.
The Ford dealer down the block from me has a great sales team (Some of the nicest, most intelligent sales people I've ever dealt with), great parts department, but their technicians aren't always the brightest. The Aviator had some work done there that it wound up having to go back in for numerous times. Finally wound up going to a dealer 2 towns over that does great work and we've never looked back.

Quote: