Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

Old Nov 2, 2014, 04:43 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Anybody got an OLED tv?

I want to get a new TV to replace my 2006 projection HDTV that died. I was hoping it would last though middle of next year so prices of OLED would drop. Was wanting somewhere around a 60". I'm a bit hesitant on the curved TV thing they are apparently pushing with OLEDs at this time.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX case
Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2014, 08:06 PM   #2
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

grab a plasma before they're gone forever
Old Nov 3, 2014, 05:43 AM   #3
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by night View Post
But, I don't want a plasma. Apart from the old Sony projection HDTV, I have 3 Samsung LCDs. I want an OLED but would settle for another LCD if I had to. I don't want to buy a dying technology.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 3, 2014, 07:16 AM   #4
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Panasonic killed its plasmas because it's saying its LCDs can beat them now. They put some experimental LCD panel up against their flagship (the ZT series at that time). It wasn't fully there yet, but things seem to be improving on the LCD front too.

Btw, I've watched some stuff on the LG 55" AMOLED, and got the chance to compare it with a "regular" Samsung 4K TV (I'd need to look up the model name again). I am going against all reviews here, but I definitely preferred the 4K screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:

Last edited by metroidfox : Nov 3, 2014 at 07:22 AM.
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:18 AM   #5
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
But, I don't want a plasma. Apart from the old Sony projection HDTV, I have 3 Samsung LCDs. I want an OLED but would settle for another LCD if I had to. I don't want to buy a dying technology.
If you want to be as future proofed as possible, there's no way around it - you'll have to spend the money on an OLED. But keep in mind that all you'll get for it is a picture that's just barely better than the plasmas that are going away. If I was you I'd save my money and wait for OLED prices to be reasonable. Or just buy a plasma and be happy that you have one of the best pictures available for 1/3rd of the price.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 01:36 PM   #6
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
But, I don't want a plasma... I don't want to buy a dying technology.
What does it matter that its a dieing technology? Its not the same as buying Betamax over VHS or something.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
If you want to be as future proofed as possible, there's no way around it - you'll have to spend the money on an OLED. But keep in mind that all you'll get for it is a picture that's just barely better than the plasmas that are going away. If I was you I'd save my money and wait for OLED prices to be reasonable. Or just buy a plasma and be happy that you have one of the best pictures available for 1/3rd of the price.
I'm in the market for a new set soon and plasma is what I'll be looking at. I need a new gaming monitor.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2014, 02:22 PM   #8
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwood View Post
I'm in the market for a new set soon and plasma is what I'll be looking at. I need a new gaming monitor.
Don't get plasma to use primarily as a gaming display. LCD is better for that.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 03:28 PM   #9
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
check out displaylag.com and you will see Sony is the best for low input lag. They tested a 55" LG OLED at 55ms. I have a Panasonic plasma VT25 for movies and a Sony KDL-55W900A for console gaming. Happy with both.

guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2014, 04:14 PM   #10
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Woah...I didn't realize TV's had that kind of input lag! I can play fps just fine on my 50" Plasma....but my reflexes aren't that good either.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 04:28 PM   #11
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Yes, but

Quote:
I was hoping it would last though middle of next year so prices of OLED would drop. Was wanting somewhere around a 60".

= $700 60" plasma. You can't beat that price for size any other way. Especially for anything that could be considered temp. Plasma's are going away now and this your last chance to own a piece of history
Old Nov 3, 2014, 04:39 PM   #12
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Don't get plasma to use primarily as a gaming display. LCD is better for that.
Seriously? Is it a matter of input lag or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
check out displaylag.com and you will see Sony is the best for low input lag. They tested a 55" LG OLED at 55ms. I have a Panasonic plasma VT25 for movies and a Sony KDL-55W900A for console gaming. Happy with both.
Awesome - I will do that, thank you
Old Nov 3, 2014, 05:33 PM   #13
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

I use 55" lg plasma for my console and htpc, and even tho its great for the most part its image retension and txt legibility kind of annoys me at times. Not sure if the txt thing is a plasma issue or just txt at 1080 on 55", but i swear txt on other similar sizes appear to be a tad crisper.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2014, 06:14 PM   #14
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Turn sharpness to zero and run the cleartype wizard as default probably doesn't match your pixel layout.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2014, 07:19 PM   #15
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Love my 65" Panny plasma. Sad to see they're not going to make them anymore. It's two years old now, so hopefully by the time it dies, OLED will be cheap enough to get a 70-80" screen to replace it.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2014, 09:10 PM   #16
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Seriously? Is it a matter of input lag or something?
Input lag, and also image retention and burn in is more likely with gaming due to static huds in some games.

That said, they are OK for occasional gaming if you're also going to mix up its use with full screen motion video content as well. But I wouldn't use them primarily for gaming, personally.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 06:13 AM   #17
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

4K is looking like a waste to me at this time. I really don't want to spend a ton on a TV as I did that before and now I want it hauled away. TV tech changes to fast to make a big investment to get the latest/greatest. So, I may go with an LCD or Plasma and 1080p for now and go 4k/OLED several years from now.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Old Nov 4, 2014, 07:26 AM   #18
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
What does it matter that its a dieing technology? Its not the same as buying Betamax over VHS or something.
You geezer.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2014, 08:34 AM   #19
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
4K is looking like a waste to me at this time. I really don't want to spend a ton on a TV as I did that before and now I want it hauled away. TV tech changes to fast to make a big investment to get the latest/greatest. So, I may go with an LCD or Plasma and 1080p for now and go 4k/OLED several years from now.
Good decision. 4K for TV being relevant is still a ways away. Plus by then the tech will be better, and cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
You geezer.
Well think about it. Even if plasma isn't around anymore, it will still work fine as a TV for many years to come.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 09:16 AM   #20
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by night View Post
Yup, I have a Samsung 3D Plasma, that I will have until it never works again.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2014, 03:51 PM   #21
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

I went to Best Buy today to look at the TVs. Finally got to see an OLED. It looked like crap because of lousy Transformers DVD in there. Half the other TVs weren't on or were stuck on something so you couldn't even see the picture very well. The couple 4ks that were on that had 4k content did look nice. Standing in a retail store is about the only time you'd be that close to a TV though.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Old Nov 4, 2014, 03:53 PM   #22
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
I went to Best Buy today to look at the TVs. Finally got to see an OLED. It looked like crap because of lousy Transformers DVD in there. Half the other TVs weren't on or were stuck on something so you couldn't even see the picture very well. The couple 4ks that were on that had 4k content did look nice. Standing in a retail store is about the only time you'd be that close to a TV though.
You can't really accurately compare TVs on a showroom floor anyways, due to not knowing if they've all been correctly set up and calibrated. Plus, the lighting will always be different than your living room (I partly blame this fact for why the plasma industry died out, as LED always looks much brighter in the stores).

I suggest you read reputable trusted reviews and get into discussions with owners at the AVS Forum instead.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 04:36 PM   #23
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Well think about it. Even if plasma isn't around anymore, it will still work fine as a TV for many years to come.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just breaking your balls for remembering the betamax.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2014, 04:41 PM   #24
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

AMOLED has screen burn ins issues as well, although tiny my FiiO E17 screen has "USB" etched onto itself when powered at 30% alpha. Nasty.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 05:37 PM   #25
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

Not sure what to make of the curved display. I'd guess passing feature and you won't see any in a couple of years.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Old Nov 4, 2014, 06:06 PM   #26
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just breaking your balls for remembering the betamax.
Ha. Our family's first video player was a Betamax player. I still remember my dad being so pissed when the VHS format beat it out.

Yeah I'm getting old.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 07:14 AM   #27
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Input lag, and also image retention and burn in is more likely with gaming due to static huds in some games.

That said, they are OK for occasional gaming if you're also going to mix up its use with full screen motion video content as well. But I wouldn't use them primarily for gaming, personally.
Thanks man - mostly monitor and gaming duties, so I'll pass on the plasma then.
Quote:
Ha. Our family's first video player was a Betamax player. I still remember my dad being so pissed when the VHS format beat it out.

Yeah I'm getting old.
My first video player was a betamax.

sigh.....
Old Nov 5, 2014, 08:39 AM   #28
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Thanks man - mostly monitor and gaming duties, so I'll pass on the plasma then.
Are you looking to just get a really big screen as a monitor? Will it be at a desk, or living room setup?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 08:43 AM   #29
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

It's kind of hard for me to not buy top of the line when I'm buying a new TV. Yes, the one I want hauled away today cost my $7000 which now looks like a huge waste of money. But, after seeing the picture quality of 4k, seems hard not to go to that tech since you know all will be moving to that at some point. OLED is still a bit too new and I'm up in the air about curved.

This TV is to go in the living room to replace a 70" which is about 15' from the couch. My replacement would have a smaller footprint since the 70" is a projection which would push the TV a couple more feet back to the corner which would make the TV even farther from the viewer.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:48 PM   #30
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Are you looking to just get a really big screen as a monitor? Will it be at a desk, or living room setup?
Man cave

It will be on/ or mounted over my desk. When gaming/watching TV kicked back in my lounge my face would be about 7-8' away. My 23" would handle browsing and the like...