Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:16 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Personally this doesn't affect me wanting to see it and I will still see it. Looks like its mainly supposed to be focused on Armstrong, not the mission in general. This is reportedly a statement from Armstrong's sons about the flag planting being left out, and I'll just go with that as the explanation:

https://deadline.com/2018/08/first-m...se-1202455597/

Its just a movie after all and creative freedom is fine with me even in a biopic.
Quote:
And actually, since my initial post I've thought more about it. I don't think there's any political message being made (or avoided) here at all. Its just the world we live in now that so many people view everything politically, and that's the real issue going on.
Agreed on all counts.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:30 PM   #32
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
4 - US flags
4 - USA's
4 - United States
and more on the capsule and lander
Photos like that remind me of all the NASA photos I had lining my room. Back in the day, you could write a letter to NASA and they would send you a packet of photos.

When I was a youngster, I wanted to me an astronaut. I was lined up for Space Camp, but chickened out. I had never been that far from home, for that long, without family. I probably would have never made it to be a full fledged astronaut given the odds, but it would have been awesome to try.

I will say my favorite Disney ride is Mission Space.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:37 PM   #33
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Photos like that remind me of all the NASA photos I had lining my room. Back in the day, you could write a letter to NASA and they would send you a packet of photos.

When I was a youngster, I wanted to me an astronaut. I was lined up for Space Camp, but chickened out. I had never been that far from home, for that long, without family. I probably would have never made it to be a full fledged astronaut given the odds, but it would have been awesome to try.

I will say my favorite Disney ride is Mission Space.
Do you remember the movie for Space Camp? It had Lea Thompson in it I think.

Man, when I saw that movie I wanted to go to Space Camp so bad. Of course no way my parents were sending me.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:40 PM   #34
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Yep, I do remember that movie. It had Kate Capshaw in it as well (always had a thing for her back in the day).
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:43 PM   #35
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If anyone needs to get over something here, it looks like it's you.
Quote:
The director Damien Chazelle said the film shows the flag on the moon but there's no actual scene of them in the act of planting the flag. Honestly given the premise of the film, being more about Armstrong himself than the actual mission, I think having that scene would have been redundant and unnecessary. We all know they planted the flag. The film even supposedly shows the flag there at some point, so its in there.

Yet still this is what everyone's so up in arms about. Who are the snowflakes?
Meteor is right. The movie is about Armstrong and his career, US flags are everywhere. Let's not make an issue where there is none.

yoz
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:53 PM   #36
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Yep, I do remember that movie. It had Kate Capshaw in it as well (always had a thing for her back in the day).
Ahh yes, coming back to me now. I want to rewatch that movie, see how it holds up. Wondering if my son might like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Let's not make an issue where there is none.
Its funny because that's the stigma of the liberal side. Supposedly its always only them that get all emotional and make a big deal of things. Here's a perfect example of how it happens on both sides. The far left and right don't seem to see how similar they really are to each other.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2018, 01:01 PM   #37
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Its funny because that's the stigma of the liberal side. Supposedly its always only them that get all emotional and make a big deal of things. Here's a perfect example of how it happens on both sides. The far left and right don't seem to see how similar they really are to each other.
This whole argument about the flag is just silly. This movie is about Armstrong's career and we see the USA and stars and stripes everywhere.

yoz
Old Sep 5, 2018, 01:10 PM   #38
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Funny to see all the drama in this thread. Patriotism is a funny drug....

FWIW, what concerns me is that the trailers seem to show a lot more personal tension than is historically accurate. Neil Armstrong was extremely cool under pressure and faced crises with steely focus. Apollo 13 added a lot of drama that never existed in reality and I'm worried that First Man will follow the same path, trying to make the film more exciting for the audience. The momentous task they accomplished by landing on the Moon is more than exciting enough. Still going to see it, however, as I am a huge fan of the Apollo era.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 01:13 PM   #39
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
Funny to see all the drama in this thread.

FWIW, what concerns me is that the trailers seem to show a lot more personal tension than is historically accurate. Neil Armstrong was extremely cool under pressure and faced crises with steely focus. Apollo 13 added a lot of drama that never existed in reality and I'm worried that First Man will follow the same path. Still going to see it, however, as I am a huge fan of the Apollo era.
There was lots of drama for Armstrong as he almost died twice, once in Gemini and the other piloting the LEM trainer in which he had to bail out.

Not to mention, of course, that he manually had to land the LEM on the moon as the on board computer overloaded and was sending them into a filed of boulders.

yoz
Old Sep 5, 2018, 01:47 PM   #40
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Has it been confirmed that it was "removed" from the movie so as to not offend anyone?

Has it been confirmed that it was "removed" from the movie so as to sell more tickets abroad?

If we can all construct a strawman to rail against, then **** it, why the hell did they not show the ****ing saucer on the other side of the moon? Why did they not show the hand shake between the leader of the lizard people and Neil? Why isn't that on there? I'm just asking questions....

Don't you all have some Nikes to burn?

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2018, 01:56 PM   #41
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
There was lots of drama for Armstrong as he almost died twice, once in Gemini and the other piloting the LEM trainer in which he had to bail out.

Not to mention, of course, that he manually had to land the LEM on the moon as the on board computer overloaded and was sending them into a filed of boulders.
True, but steely Neil faced it all very calmly and professionally. He went right back to work after bailing out from the LLRV. What I'm talking about is adding unnecessary interpersonal drama to spice up the film.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 02:20 PM   #42
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
True, but steely Neil faced it all very calmly and professionally. He went right back to work after bailing out from the LLRV. What I'm talking about is adding unnecessary interpersonal drama to spice up the film.
Agreed on both counts.

yoz
Old Sep 5, 2018, 02:23 PM   #43
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Additional drama in Hollywood is a fact that's doubtful to change. While no doubt historically inaccurate it has never stopped them before and I'm safe to say will never stop. Action and drama sells tickets and that's what Hollywood is all about. Otherwise it would be a reenactment in a documentary.
Sad thing is most people never know the difference.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2018, 02:37 PM   #44
huskylord
Individual 2

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I'm surprised they wouldn't just include it and then cut it/edit for specific international audiences.

Seems a silly omission to me.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 02:47 PM   #45
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay20016 View Post
I can't afford to burn clothing that fit. It's like burning cash. I'm not that offended. He can kneel in my yard in he wants as long as he mows when he gets done. No that was not racist I'll let anyone mow my yard regardless of color. I don't care if they are plaid.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 02:47 PM   #46
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytprice View Post
Additional drama in Hollywood is a fact that's doubtful to change. While no doubt historically inaccurate it has never stopped them before and I'm safe to say will never stop. Action and drama sells tickets and that's what Hollywood is all about. Otherwise it would be a reenactment in a documentary.
Sad thing is most people never know the difference.
Neil Armstrong was a central figure in one of the most exciting chapters in human history thus far. There's so much interesting and amazing stuff in the actual story of Apollo that additional fictional embellishments only detract from the momentous scale of what was actually accomplished.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 02:49 PM   #47
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Has it been confirmed that it was "removed" from the movie so as to not offend anyone?

Has it been confirmed that it was "removed" from the movie so as to sell more tickets abroad?

If we can all construct a strawman to rail against, then **** it, why the hell did they not show the ****ing saucer on the other side of the moon? Why did they not show the hand shake between the leader of the lizard people and Neil? Why isn't that on there? I'm just asking questions....

This personal for you much?

From interviews with the director and Gosling where they brought this up and talked about it while promoting their movie

The flag bit was never filmed because several reasons. They felt the landing was an human accomplishment and not a US one. They also felt Armstrong represented a human historical hero of courage and not just a US one. And yes they wanted to sell tickets in China a worried the flag part would have been one step to far making the movie unrelatable to world viewers and the movie already had plenty of good old American heroism and imagery.

But feelings and facts about Armstrong and the moon landing seem to be at odds in their statements to people that know the real history.

For some historical change for social justice or for money is not cool. (or like me I think it is just plain silliness to mess with something that is so very cool start with)
Old Sep 5, 2018, 02:52 PM   #48
kytprice
Autism Awareness

Quote:
Neil Armstrong was a central figure in one of the most exciting chapters in human history thus far. There's so much interesting and amazing stuff in the actual story of Apollo that additional fictional embellishments only detract from the momentous scale of what was actually accomplished.
Oh I agree wholeheartedly. It's just I think the general moviegoers expect a certain Hollywood feel. I can't think of a single historically accurate movie that didn't fall flat on its face at the box office. Maybe I'm forgetting some.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 02:59 PM   #49
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytprice View Post
Oh I agree wholeheartedly. It's just I think the general moviegoers expect a certain Hollywood feel. I can't think of a single historically accurate movie that didn't fall flat on its face at the box office. Maybe I'm forgetting some.
Dude are you saying ID4 was not historically accurate?

And here I thought for sure we blasted alien butts back to space with a virus from a Macbook pro!!!

Maybe it was a MS Surface?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 04:25 PM   #50
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:

nope stopped buying nike a long time ago

http://mallenbaker.net/article/clear...gard-to-leader
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2018, 08:23 PM   #51
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

Wait a minute.... weren't the Russians the first to land a man on the Moon?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 09:54 PM   #52
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

"HERE MEN FROM THE PLANET EARTH
FIRST SET FOOT UPON THE MOON
JULY 1969, A.D.
WE CAME IN PEACE FOR ALL MANKIND"

/s/ Armstrong, Collins, Aldrin, and Nixon
Old Sep 6, 2018, 07:28 AM   #53
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post
"HERE MEN FROM THE PLANET EARTH
FIRST SET FOOT UPON THE MOON
JULY 1969, A.D.
WE CAME IN PEACE FOR ALL MANKIND"

No no no, the quote was:

"'MURIKA!"

Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:22 AM   #54
acroig
Master Troll

We did it (USA) but we came "for all mankind."

yoz
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:14 AM   #55
General Lee
High-tech Redneck

General Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Meteor is right. The movie is about Armstrong and his career, US flags are everywhere. Let's not make an issue where there is none.
I wasn't making an issue of it. Again, I merely stated a fact regarding marketing. How someone can still miss that after I implicitly point that out, I have no idea.

Quote:
The right tend to be big on their patriotism and actual rights. There's a difference between that and screaming about phantom menaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
All I am envisioning right now is the General Lee car with no paint, Cheetos stuffed into the gas tank, and coming out the tail pipe, in a huge pool of Jello :p
General Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:25 AM   #56
huskylord
Individual 2

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Perfectly said comrade.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:30 PM   #57
GTwannabe
Radeon Evergreen

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
No no no, the quote was:

"'MURIKA!"

Actually, yes. There was absolutely zero scientific reason to physically send a man to the moon. Everything could have been done with unmanned probes. We sent men to the moon because we could.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:38 PM   #58
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
I wasn't making an issue of it. Again, I merely stated a fact regarding marketing. How someone can still miss that after I implicitly point that out, I have no idea.
You stated a "fact" without a link to back it up. Please do so.

yoz
Old Sep 6, 2018, 02:02 PM   #59
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

It is to bad all this distraction this movie looks like it is going to be good and it is about a wondrous moment in America's and human history.

I am going to see this on the big 4k HDR screen with rumble seats with my dad who was a kid at heart when this all went down. When I played the trailer for him he was teared up from when Neal's wife told him to go tell the kids you might not be coming home.

This was huge. My dad still can feel the fear when sputnik made the news being in space and we had no answer. The USSR was winning, the cold war was dawning and nuclear winter was on everyone's biggest fear list.

We did not just need heroes like Buz and Neal for America, and the free world, we had to have them.

The movie shows the flag on the moon they are not re-writing history or any silly stuff like that. They just missed out on what I think could have been yet an super cool scene. But I am not the Director, I am sue he did just fine.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:10 AM   #60
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

Apollo 18? Apollo 17 was the final lunar mission in 1972. Apollo 18 - 20 were planned but never happened because the program was cancelled.

https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetar...llo_18_20.html