Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:11 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Nintendo Direct Sept 13, 2018

Apparently they had a Nintendo Direct yesterday, dropped a bunch of announcements

A few things include (not all of them)
-3DS stuff I don't care about
-Switch online details (meh, but much cheaper than PS/Xbox. cloud saves, NES content, some other stuff...I didn't really pay attention to this portion much)
-The World Ends With You Switch stuff
-Xeno Chronicles 2 new DLC story
-That space shooter game has more starfox characters in it
-Mario Tennis DLC
-New Super Mario Bros U deluxe
-FF Crystal Chronicles, FF world Maxima, FF IX pocket edition, Chocobo's dungeon, FF7, 9, X HD, X-2 HD, XII Zodiac Age coming to switch.
-Yoshi's Crafted World (full name for the new Yoshi game)
-Animal Crossing in 2019
-Isabelle from Animal crossing is a new Smash Char.
-Switch Smash bundle

FF and Animal Crossing info are kind of the megaton announcements in this one.
I think theres enough Switch content now that has my interest to seriously consider picking one up. Likely next year though when all the releases are projected to come out.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2018, 04:49 PM   #2
ragewars_sc
Radeon Southern Islands

ragewars_sc is still being judged by the masses

Luigi Mansion is looking nice Online is looking bad and cloud saves wont work for every game(no splatoon 2 or Pokemon support) Nes games are nice BUT... for 40 $ more in ps4 i get ps3 and ps4 and Vita games... There is no value there, no new servers... Nintendo at his worst imo.
For me is sad to see them with such a bad and expensive system and good for nothing services when their games are soo good!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 06:12 PM   #3
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird sings

Sucks you have to now pay for a crappy online experience from Nintendo, feels like nothing but a money grab to me.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 17, 2018, 09:59 AM   #4
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Sucks you have to now pay for a crappy online experience from Nintendo, feels like nothing but a money grab to me.
Hmm, I don't think I could call it a money grab. First, isn't it only $20 a year? That's pretty cheap compared to the competition. And they need to maintain quality of it and that costs money. We've seen what happens when online services on console are free. Terrible support and lack of security.

That said, its obvious Nintendo are just behind the times as far as online gaming. I don't think the Japanese market is really that into it and it shows. Going to have to give them another generation or two before they get up to snuff I think.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:02 AM   #5
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Hmm, I don't think I could call it a money grab. First, isn't it only $20 a year? That's pretty cheap compared to the competition. And they need to maintain quality of it and that costs money.
Quality is garbage.

I dont particularly play nintendo games online so I wont be buying in. I dont buy into PSN or Xbox Live either for that matter.

Nothing that interesting in this direct for me but I do like their style of giving game news via direct.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:21 AM   #6
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

$20 is too much for a service that offers less than what sony offered for free last gen.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:36 AM   #7
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Well, you're kidding yourself if you think any console online service is going to be free nowadays. Even with low quality right now $20 a year is pretty damn cheap.

And what else did Sony offer with the PS3 at launch of their online service besides online multiplayer?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:16 AM   #8
Nascar24

Nascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Hmm, I don't think I could call it a money grab. First, isn't it only $20 a year? That's pretty cheap compared to the competition. And they need to maintain quality of it and that costs money. We've seen what happens when online services on console are free. Terrible support and lack of security.

That said, its obvious Nintendo are just behind the times as far as online gaming. I don't think the Japanese market is really that into it and it shows. Going to have to give them another generation or two before they get up to snuff I think.
I just don’t see much value in it, they really are not offering much value for that $20. You get free games and a robust online experience on the other 2.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:26 AM   #9
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
I just don’t see much value in it, they really are not offering much value for that $20. You get free games and a robust online experience on the other 2.
I know most people here wont care, but they are making available 20 NES games and online MP support for the 2 player games at launch with more coming. Honestly the ability to play NES games online seems pretty damn cool to me, but I am retro focused which is not popular at this particular forum obviously. But retro gaming has been exploding in popularity over the past few years and there definitely is some appeal to it, FWIW.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:33 AM   #10
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

You get free games with the switch online too from what I heard.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ni.../1100-6458799/

Quote:
Nintendo will offer subscribers to the Switch online service access to a selection of NES games as part of its "NES - Nintendo Switch Online" program. At launch, the lineup will consist of 20 titles, although the company says that more games will be added to the library "regularly."
Only half of the titles in the initial lineup have revealed thus far, but they consist of some of Nintendo's best-known NES games, including Super Mario Bros. 3, The Legend of Zelda, Balloon Fight, and Dr. Mario. The remaining 10 titles will be announced "in the future." The full list of confirmed NES games includes:
  • Balloon Fight
  • Donkey Kong
  • Dr. Mario
  • Ice Climber
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Mario Bros.
  • Soccer
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Tennis

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:27 PM   #11
Nascar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
You get free games with the switch online too from what I heard.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ni.../1100-6458799/

[/list]
Most games they are giving everyone already has in one form or another, Your not getting current gen games.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 01:17 PM   #12
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

Why would they give away current gen games for $20 a year? It's a bonus perk, not a discount plan.

Old Sep 17, 2018, 01:42 PM   #13
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Most games they are giving everyone already has in one form or another, Your not getting current gen games.
Actually, think of all the kids these days that never played the NES. They will be exposed to some great classic games.

Also consider the implemented online features, multiplayer online and possibly score leaderboards, etc. Fun stuff that we never had before an any official capacity with NES games!

I'm not trying to say its for everyone. Hell I might not even be that interested since I'm mainly a purist, but you can't deny it will be great for a lot of people, especially younger gamers. To a lot of them it could be their first time playing these games.

Bottom line, like with anything else just because it doesn't interest you does not mean its totally worthless for everyone.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 07:06 PM   #14
Nascar24

Quote:
Actually, think of all the kids these days that never played the NES. They will be exposed to some great classic games.

Also consider the implemented online features, multiplayer online and possibly score leaderboards, etc. Fun stuff that we never had before an any official capacity with NES games!

I'm not trying to say its for everyone. Hell I might not even be that interested since I'm mainly a purist, but you can't deny it will be great for a lot of people, especially younger gamers. To a lot of them it could be their first time playing these games.

Bottom line, like with anything else just because it doesn't interest you does not mean its totally worthless for everyone.
I suppose, although I will probably end up getting it for the few times I play Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2 online, I suppose maybe I could still get my fill on my still connected Wii U for free though.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:20 PM   #15
Athena
Radeon Southern Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Thinking of getting each of the families a switch for a Christmas gift this year. That or a Rift kit. The Switch seems the better way to go as it is more accessible. But the Rift has the advantage of being more weird.

Anyway any Deals from Big N hitting this Christmas? I am a Xbox PS4 guy I know nothing of Nintendo.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 02:51 PM   #16
Nascar24

Ended up buying in on Nintendo Online as I figured I would, probably will be nice for some who want to play the old Nintendo NES games on the go and the interface to the games is kind of nice, called up NES Donkey Kong and it seems to look better then playing it on the SNES Classic I have.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 02:59 PM   #17
Nascar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
Why would they give away current gen games for $20 a year? It's a bonus perk, not a discount plan.
It would be more of a rental like PS4 and X1X goes. the games they give for free are only good as long as your a subscriber. It doesn't have to be totally current games, Just something newer then the 16 bit era.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 07:17 AM   #18
koralis
Radeon 5850

Quote:
It would be more of a rental like PS4 and X1X goes. the games they give for free are only good as long as your a subscriber. It doesn't have to be totally current games, Just something newer then the 16 bit era.

Then they'd be charging more like $8-$12 per month, rather than $20/year.

$20/year just lets them keep the lights on for the service. It's not really a money-maker. it's designed to facilitate other sales by being a nice ecosystem.

Personally, I'd rather have a low price and use the savings toward the games I actually want.