Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Dec 15, 2001, 04:56 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Coyote
Radeon R520

Coyote is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs down Radeon 8500DV = no hardware compression?

--------------
UPDATE: Okay, maybe I read that wrong. I stand corrected. It can render MPEG1&2 but all compression is done by your CPU. So doesn't that mean the card doesn't capture directly to MPEG? It first captures in uncompressed format, then your CPU has to convert it to MPEG? The old Radeon captured/converted to MPEG2 on-the-fly.
--------------
I just read Tom's review of the 8500DV. He says the card doesn't have hardware rendering of MPEG1&2! Ouch! This card's features are really stripped compared to the old AIW and Radeon VIVO. Anyone who's into capturing/rendering video will need hardware compression to get the job done fast. What was ATI thinking?

Last edited by Coyote : Dec 15, 2001 at 06:16 PM.
Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2001, 05:06 PM   #2
EnDlEsS
No one lives forever.

EnDlEsS is still being judged by the masses

It is because those movie player software company does not produce a patch fro the DV yet...

Also don't believe everything from TOM, some of his reviews are BS~~!
EnDlEsS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2001, 05:17 PM   #3
PreservedSwine
When's dinner?

PreservedSwine is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
This card can render videos in MPEG 1&2 formats, as well as in a proprietary ATI format. Data compression is performed entirely by the CPU. Hardware compression is not available with this card. According to ATI, a 5 GB hard drive can record up to 5 hours of MPEG1 video (1600 MBit/s) or 3 hours of MPEG2 video (3800 MBits/s).
Quote:
With Ulead VideoStudio 5 in the package, ATI gives their card the added value of complete video editing capabilities. This software can also operate DV cameras that are connected by FireWire. After a short time of learning how to use the software, you'll find that it is very easy to use.

MPEG-2 videos created with this software can be used for video CDs for playback on your home DVD player (of course you would need the appropriate CDR software for that). A user's manual and tutorials can be found on the CD.
What are you talking about?
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government—lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

Last edited by PreservedSwine : Dec 15, 2001 at 05:20 PM.
PreservedSwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 15, 2001, 05:31 PM   #4
Tuna_Boy
Radeon R300

Tuna_Boy is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Ouch! Radeon 8500DV = no hardware MPEG2 render

Quote:
Originally posted by Coyote
I just read Tom's review of the 8500DV. He says the card doesn't have hardware rendering of MPEG1&2! Ouch! This card's features are really stripped compared to the old AIW and Radeon VIVO. Anyone who's into capturing/rendering video will need hardware compression to get the job done fast. What was ATI thinking?
Anyone who's into capturing/rendering won't rely on a AIW/graphics card. They will buy a real capture/edit card. Example...
My DVStorm cost $1300 yet doesn't do hardware Mpeg. To get hardware mpeg in realtime on the DVStorm I'd need to pay $360 for the daughter card. I'm not complaining.
What I am saying is the AIW/ 8500DV is aimed at the casual user who wants to capture/edit video as a hobby.
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Dual 21" Sony G500 FD Trinitrons
2 Maxtor 200gb 7,200 rpm SATA in Raid 0 -400gb-
Canopus DV Storm-2
Hercules Game Theatre XP
Pioneer A06 DVD-+R/RW
Plextor 48X CDR

Last edited by Tuna_Boy : Dec 15, 2001 at 05:34 PM.
Tuna_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2001, 07:05 PM   #5
Jagermeister
Absolved in Absinthe

Jagermeister is still being judged by the masses

The original Radeon did not have hardware MPEG capture. Both the Radeon (AIW / VIVO) and the Radeon 8500DV use the same rage theatre chip for capture...

Athlon XP 1900+ / 512 MB Corsair XMS PC 2700 RAM / AIW Radeon 8500 128MB/ MSI KT3 Ultra-ARU Motherboard / SB Audigy Platinum / Toshiba SDM-1502 DVD 16x / Creative 8432E CDRW / WD 60GB 7200RPM & Maxtor 15GB 7200RPM / D Link DFE 538 NIC / Windows XP PRO
Jagermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2001, 07:06 PM   #6
billyhansome
Radeon Arctic Islands

billyhansome is still being judged by the masses

THat's why I went with the TV tuner/R8500 combo
Have a clever mind.
Master the basics.
billyhansome is offline   Reply With Quote