Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Nov 25, 2007, 01:07 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Dreven
Rage3D Veteran

Dreven is still being judged by the masses

Default Mass Effect Disk Compression & 360 disk size

Mass Effect sounds so big, I was curious about it's disk usage.

http://www.ausgamers.com.au/features/html/2563673

Quote:
AusGamers: Were there any concerns over disk size? Other developers have complained about a lack of space on the 360 disks – was that a problem for Mass Effect and if so, was anything pulled from the game because of the issue?

Chris Priestly: Not at all. We didn’t have any issues whatsoever and everything that was intended to make it into the game did. The compression technology we used did a great job and to be honest, we didn’t really see a need to think about two disks or anything like that
-Why would you use "compression technology" if you had enough room on the disk without compressing (security?)?
-I've seen an unusual amount of talk about disk read errors. Compression related?
-When I hear 'compression' I think 'longer load times'. True?
-I know that some PS3 games are allowed to instal pieces of themselves on the HD so they run and load faster. Has this been done with the 360?
-How many PC games have gone over one DVD? I can't think of one.

I can't stop thinking and reading about this stupid game. I'm going to have to hope no one has bought it for me yet and remove it from my Christmas list and go buy it today.
Dreven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 01:38 PM   #2
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

you always use compression. Images are compressed (including JPEGs, GIFs, pretty much everything except BMP and RAW files). Virtually any movie you watch is compressed, including standard DVD's (which use mpeg2). Both bluray and HD-DVD rely heavily on very sophisticated compression techniques.

Without compression, you could hardly fit an xbox1 game onto a 50gig bluray drive (well, that's an exaggeration). You remember the old sega saturn games that had full motion video, and 5 minutes of super-low-quality video takes up half the cd? That's what uncompressed video is.

Anyways, there's certainly devs that are pushing compression technology further than before, but its all relative, y'know?

Plus, compression also helps load times, as the data can be pulled off the disk in a compressed form. There is an issue of decompression, but on the xbox360 this is typically done on the fly, by dedicating more cpu power (remember there's 3 cores) to decompression.

Think of it less as a dirty trick that developers are using to downplay the limitations of the 360, and more as a matter of simple efficiency.

In terms of PS3 harddrive usage, that's a bit different than the 360. Since every PS3 has a harddrive, alot of games demand it. Some games temporarily cache level data while you're playing in order to speed up loading times (a technique which was widely used in xbox1 games, and many 360 games will do it too if a harddrive is present... if you don't have a harddrive, you may have longer load times), but there's also cases of PS3 games actually installing permanent data on the harddrive. Of course, xbox360 games also use permanent harddrive space for save games, game patches, downloadable content, and in the case of xboxlive arcade games. M$ just announced that they'll have downloadable backwards compatible xbox1 games as well, which will really eat your harddrive.

As for PC games, there's lots of 'em that go over 1 dvd. They're shipped on one dvd, of course, but once again we're talking about compression. Often times, you'll install an 8 gig game from a 4.5 gig dvd, y'know? The difference between that and the 360 is that the 360 is decompressing the data on the fly, as opposed to the PC which decompresses it onto your harddrive while you install.

I've heard that UT3 is actually shipping on 2 dvd's though. Unreal Tournament tends to be bigger than your typical game though.

Disk read errors probably don't have much to do with compression. The data is not decompressed until its read off of the disk (the dvd drive doesn't decompress the data and then send it to the xbox360). I suppose they could have come up with some new compression technique that sacrifices data verification (data is stored on a disk in such a way that it can be verified, and small errors can be corrected for), but that would be stupid. If mass effect has more read errors than other games, it's more likely that the disks were cheaply made.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580

Last edited by SubCog : Nov 25, 2007 at 01:52 PM.
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 01:54 PM   #3
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Load times are pretty fast, Medieval 2 total war comes on 2 DVD's. This isn't the first game to use compression many games before it (pretty much all) use compression.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 25, 2007, 02:42 PM   #4
dark_preacher
Radeon Arctic Islands

Location: United States i'm no hero. never was. never will be.
dark_preacher is still being judged by the masses

the biggest negative about the game is the texture pop. it's as bad as halo 2.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Maze
Bazinga!

Maze is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_preacher View Post
the framedrops are worse
Old Nov 25, 2007, 04:44 PM   #6
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazeWing View Post
the framedrops are worse
Can't really say i've had any, except in a few cutscenes. I agree with the texture streaming though, it's really bad and it's always hapening. Good thing it's a good game though

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Old Nov 25, 2007, 05:28 PM   #7
Sh26
Rage3D Veteran

Sh26 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Can't really say i've had any, except in a few cutscenes. I agree with the texture streaming though, it's really bad and it's always hapening. Good thing it's a good game though
Really??? I found this problem to be minor like in GOW. Fps problems occur often but nothing terrible. Game does not struggle along it is more like a hiccup. Most often happens when the game is loading or streaming information. Sometimes in bad areas like in fire fights. Clears up quick but still annoying

I am not that far in the story part of game so maybe further off areas have more issues later on. Still amazed at what they pulled off in this game

(Poor driver support/Poor service) 8-10months before new driver releases
Sh26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:34 PM   #8
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh26 View Post
Really??? I found this problem to be minor like in GOW. Fps problems occur often but nothing terrible. Game does not struggle along it is more like a hiccup. Most often happens when the game is loading or streaming information. Sometimes in bad areas like in fire fights. Clears up quick but still annoying

I am not that far in the story part of game so maybe further off areas have more issues later on. Still amazed at what they pulled off in this game
Yeah once everything is loaded it looks great, the character detail is amazing (primarily the aliens) Wrex is one amazing looking character. The use of depth of field in some of the cutscenes make the game look incredible.

Like i have said before i'd prefer a PC version, but as it is it's a great game and even surpasses the mighty KOTOR IMO. Hell it even has the voice actor from KOTOR who voices Carth Onasi. (he does Kaiden in Mass Effect)

Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:36 PM   #9
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

I'd rather have texture streaming then inhumanely long load times.
Adanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:44 PM   #10
Dreven
Rage3D Veteran

Dreven is still being judged by the masses

Anyone remember what they did to GoW? They have vsync going most of the time, but in the area's with the worst FPS drops it auto turns off - then back on again. I was impressed with the concept of this at the time.

I suppose you could do the same thing by turning off anti-aliasing in an area or mass combat sequence for a short amount of time.

The creative problem solving part of programming is the best part of enjoying programing IMHO.

James Bond N64 - those guys were cool. They downright abused the N64.
Dreven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 07:28 PM   #11
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreven View Post
Nope. CPU power is abundant on the 360 and PS3, disc read speed is not (especially on the PS3). It's likely faster to read a compressed file off the disc and decompress it than it is to read an uncompressed file. For this reason I expect even PS3 games use compressed data in addition to duplicating data across the disc.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 07:52 PM   #12
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

It'd be nice if they took advantage of users' hard drives to lessen the texture pop-in. Me thinks they should release a patch or something.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair MP510 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 09:46 PM   #13
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
It'd be nice if they took advantage of users' hard drives to lessen the texture pop-in. Me thinks they should release a patch or something.

it's a rule Microsoft has, no hard drive reliance for games.
Adanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 09:49 PM   #14
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

I know it's a rule, but that shouldn't stop them from letting people who do have hard drives (likely the vast majority of 360 owners) get a better experience.

As it is now every 360 owner is on an even keel with this game. Non-HDD owners aren't going to get a worse experience if they release some kind of hard drive texture caching patch, they're just not going to be able to take advantage of any enhancements.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair MP510 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead

Last edited by DeathKnight : Nov 25, 2007 at 09:54 PM.
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 09:51 PM   #15
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Jamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanu View Post
They've started back pedaling on that rule in recent months.
Jamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:44 PM   #16
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanu View Post
lots of xbox360 games utilize the harddrive to speed up load times. They just have to make sure that gamers with no harddrive can play it too, even if its with longer load times.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:56 PM   #17
Faceless Rebel
Rage3D Veteran

Faceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFaceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
lots of xbox360 games utilize the harddrive to speed up load times. They just have to make sure that gamers with no harddrive can play it too, even if its with longer load times.
Yeah, the 360 can use HDD caching just like the original Xbox, each 360 HDD has 4x600MB partitions set aside for games to use for caching. The problem with ME is that it started design and programming 2 years before 360 actually was released, and at that time MS specified that games could only load from the DVD. It wasn't until later that MS allowed HDD caching. Oblivion for example caches to the HDD and it loads much faster on 360's which have the HDD than 360's which don't. Bioware designed the entire game to load from the disc, and now for whatever reason they couldn't or wouldn't go back to add HDD caching into the game. Which is really lame, but Bioware games going back to KOTOR have always been known for stupidly long loadtimes so maybe they thought they needed to continue the tradition with ME?
Faceless Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:13 AM   #18
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post
Yeah, the 360 can use HDD caching just like the original Xbox, each 360 HDD has 4x600MB partitions set aside for games to use for caching. The problem with ME is that it started design and programming 2 years before 360 actually was released, and at that time MS specified that games could only load from the DVD. It wasn't until later that MS allowed HDD caching. Oblivion for example caches to the HDD and it loads much faster on 360's which have the HDD than 360's which don't. Bioware designed the entire game to load from the disc, and now for whatever reason they couldn't or wouldn't go back to add HDD caching into the game. Which is really lame, but Bioware games going back to KOTOR have always been known for stupidly long loadtimes so maybe they thought they needed to continue the tradition with ME?
I played KOTOR, KOTOR2 and Jade Empire on my XBox 1 and suffered from the painfully slow as turtles in jello load times as well as the random disc read errors.

After I played KOTOR2 on my PC late in 2005 I started to see no reason to have suffered through those load times/dirty disc errors and went on to try out old KOTOR 1 and later JAde Empire and thanks to the mod community:

Some really nice optional story extention side quests in KOTOR 1 that provide neat challenges and more people to sink my saber into.

And a group of mods working to try to restore the cut content from KOTOR 2

And Jade Empire having superior graphics on PC and I just see no reason to buy Mass Effect for consoles knowing its coming to PCs and it will be far superior both in graphics and gameplay experience.

On a side note my rig with its moldy old Athlon XP 3200+ cpu, 1.5GB ram and GeForce 6800GT toaster of a PC handles Oblivion in high quality with butter smooth gameplay so I have adopted a personal rule that I will be patient when it comes to games that run on both consoles and PCs and more than likely get the PC version to avoid hassles and enjoy future mods.

"Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
If anything there's just still too many guilible people in the fanbase willing to accept this garbage star wars disney/Kennedy edition."

Helghast... till the end of days!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxcT6LEVzk Disney Star Wars SUCKS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V
Akumajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:19 AM   #19
neight
Radeon R420

neight is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumajo View Post
On a side note my rig with its moldy old Athlon XP 3200+ cpu, 1.5GB ram and GeForce 6800GT toaster of a PC handles Oblivion in high quality with butter smooth gameplay
Uhh... are you sure about that? I have a similar system and Oblivion chugs. What's smooth to you? 15-20fps? At what resolution?
neight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 03:56 AM   #20
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by neight View Post
Uhh... are you sure about that? I have a similar system and Oblivion chugs. What's smooth to you? 15-20fps? At what resolution?
Yes, really, I am very sure about that enough to tell you that Oblivion runs butter smooth at 1024x768 with Anisotropic Filtering enabled in High Quality.

Whats really funny is that I ran the game early last year and it ran so great that I felt confident in not purchasing a console for the game specially after having played it extensively and then playing it at a couple of friends homes who own XBox 360s.

Nvidia's drivers have since then improved performance and image quality according to the release notes and Bethesda has released patches that also have improved the game that when I reinstalled it after getting Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles after having reformatted my PC (I only use WinXP for games)

Care to tell me the details of what your similar rig is?

"Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
If anything there's just still too many guilible people in the fanbase willing to accept this garbage star wars disney/Kennedy edition."

Helghast... till the end of days!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxcT6LEVzk Disney Star Wars SUCKS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V
Akumajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 09:48 AM   #21
Weaser
Nvidia 7950 GTX Go Laptop

Weaser is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreven View Post
Mass Effect sounds so big, I was curious about it's disk usage.

http://www.ausgamers.com.au/features/html/2563673

-Why would you use "compression technology" if you had enough room on the disk without compressing (security?)?
-I've seen an unusual amount of talk about disk read errors. Compression related?
-I know that some PS3 games are allowed to instal pieces of themselves on the HD so they run and load faster. Has this been done with the 360?
-How many PC games have gone over one DVD? I can't think of one.

I can't stop thinking and reading about this stupid game. I'm going to have to hope no one has bought it for me yet and remove it from my Christmas list and go buy it today.
Errr.. ME doesn't have long load times at all.. In fact, very short load times. As for disc read errors.. probably just bad discs. Mines fine.
Weaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:06 AM   #22
GravY
Rage3D Spammer

GravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_preacher View Post
I dont find the texture pop that bad at all, its on background stuff usually and not where your eye is focused.. the pop also doesn't stand out and say HERE I AM IM POPPING either..

I dont find it an issue at all..
"Yes, but God has the right to get away with anything. Shoot animals, make ugly women, allow the existence of religious nuts, and watch liederhosen-wearing midget poodle-licking pornography. God's a sick bastard." - OzzieBloke

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
GravY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:15 AM   #23
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravY View Post
I dont find the texture pop that bad at all, its on background stuff usually and not where your eye is focused.. the pop also doesn't stand out and say HERE I AM IM POPPING either..

I dont find it an issue at all..
I've seen it obvious area's the characters textures popping up (sometimes taking 5 secs to load), and when you go into a new area the whole area is ugly textures and can take a while to load.

Also though it's only happened twice i've had some props in the Feros level (broken vehicles) which never loaded the better texture untill i went into the next area and suddenly they where high res again .

Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:17 AM   #24
GravY
Rage3D Spammer

GravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I'll have to see, im only a few hours in.. so far i've not seen anything bad..
"Yes, but God has the right to get away with anything. Shoot animals, make ugly women, allow the existence of religious nuts, and watch liederhosen-wearing midget poodle-licking pornography. God's a sick bastard." - OzzieBloke

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
GravY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:25 AM   #25
tranCendenZ
Radeon Northern Islands

tranCendenZ is still being judged by the masses

Dreven, you seem to be forgetting one vital thing: graphic memory.

The XBOX 360 has 512mb of memory shared between system and graphics. The PS3 has 256mb of graphics and 256mb of system.

Now, if all the same quality/resolution textures seen in Mass Effect were uncompressed the result would be disasterous performance as there would not be enough graphics memory to keep them loaded in memory at once.

That is the main problem with Blu-Ray/larger sized discs. Even though they can hold more data, the systems themselves (i.e. 360/PS3) are very limited in the amount of data they can hold in memory - on top of that they both only have 128-bit memory buses (360 somewhat alleviated by edram) which exacerbates the problem.

In short, uncompressed textures would result in lesser quality/lower resolution textures because the devs wouldn't be able to fit as much textures in memory at once, or horrible performance because the systems wouldn't have enough memory to keep them from continuously swapping.
tranCendenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:22 AM   #26
Weaser
Nvidia 7950 GTX Go Laptop

Weaser is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranCendenZ View Post
Dreven, you seem to be forgetting one vital thing: graphic memory.

The XBOX 360 has 512mb of memory shared between system and graphics. The PS3 has 256mb of graphics and 256mb of system.

Now, if all the same quality/resolution textures seen in Mass Effect were uncompressed the result would be disasterous performance as there would not be enough graphics memory to keep them loaded in memory at once.

That is the main problem with Blu-Ray/larger sized discs. Even though they can hold more data, the systems themselves (i.e. 360/PS3) are very limited in the amount of data they can hold in memory - on top of that they both only have 128-bit memory buses (360 somewhat alleviated by edram) which exacerbates the problem.

In short, uncompressed textures would result in lesser quality/lower resolution textures because the devs wouldn't be able to fit as much textures in memory at once, or horrible performance because the systems wouldn't have enough memory to keep them from continuously swapping.
which is probably why on some 360 games you see similar hitching to that of some pc games on graphic intensive games. Inoticed that also in COD4 on the PC.. you have to turn around in a circle a few times to get all the data loaded into the video card's ram and it stutters and spurts just like a peice of junk car until you do that.
Weaser is offline   Reply With Quote