Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Nov 22, 2017, 01:00 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default After 3 years decided to buy a new smartphone

My current phone is the Motorola Moto X (2nd Generation), has Android 5.0 on it.

The phone I am planning to buy this one from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/LG-G6-Unlocke.../dp/B075TZQRHN

LG G6 - 32 GB - Unlocked - Platinum - Prime Exclusive - with Lockscreen Offers & Ads

I am waiting through Amazon's Black Friday sale to see if it gets cheaper.

The camera looks like it is pretty darn good for the price. Looks like it will do a lot better in low light vs my Moto X.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2017, 02:13 AM   #2
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

What about Oneplus 5T?
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2017, 06:29 AM   #3
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Blackberry Keyone: Keyboard or GTFO!
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 22, 2017, 07:04 AM   #4
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Blackberry Keyone: Keyboard or GTFO!
yuck, no. On screen keyboard is perfectly fine. Also it cost way to much for what the phone has. The Moto X (4th Generation) is better than that and costs $200 less
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 07:08 AM   #5
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post
What about Oneplus 5T?
Never heard of them. Also costs more than what I want to pay. Plus it isn't supported by Jedi Challenges. Plus it has it's own version of an OS (though still based on Android), but I don't want to be stuck with potential incompatibilities.
Quote:
Old Nov 22, 2017, 07:24 AM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

What about Essential Phone? Only $450 at Best Buy (I think) unlocked, 128gb. I love mine.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2017, 07:57 AM   #7
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
What about Essential Phone? Only $450 at Best Buy (I think) unlocked, 128gb. I love mine.
Is the charging port on the center bottom?
I wonder if it will work with Jedi Challenges?
The Essential Phone is also $450 on Amazon.
Quote:
Old Nov 22, 2017, 08:47 AM   #8
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Get the Essential Phone for $450 or the Pixel 2 for $650.

I wouldn't even consider other Android phones.

Brand new models are shipping with old versions of Android (ie not Oreo) for christ sake. Android's whole ecosystem is just a mess.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2017, 09:19 AM   #9
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Get the Essential Phone for $450 or the Pixel 2 for $650.

I wouldn't even consider other Android phones.

Brand new models are shipping with old versions of Android (ie not Oreo) for christ sake. Android's whole ecosystem is just a mess.
This. If you don't upgrade often, buy a Pixel 2. 3 years of software and security updates direct from Google.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2017, 09:58 AM   #10
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Pixel 2 is too expensive.
I am reading that the camera for The Essential phone is terrible in low light, where as the LG G6 is showing to be great
Lg g6 is getting the Android Oreo update soon.
Quote:
Old Nov 22, 2017, 01:29 PM   #11
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
Pixel 2 is too expensive.
I am reading that the camera for The Essential phone is terrible in low light, where as the LG G6 is showing to be great
Lg g6 is getting the Android Oreo update soon.
Here's some lower light pictures:

I haven't taken too many pictures with it, but I don't think it's that awful. G6 looks okay and it's water proof, just throwing another option out.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 05:29 PM   #12
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Thank you for pointing out a different option.

So I have found out that the LG G6 does have an 128GB version for $450 from Amazon.

The 128GB was very tempting with The Essential Phone.
So now it comes down to this on which phone I am going to pay $450 for.

LG G6, slower CPU/GPU but with better Camera and Camera features
vs
The Essential Phone with faster CPU/GPU but with lower quality camera and less camera features.

I am guessing the CPU/GPU on the LG G6 will still be plenty to play any Android game, right?
Quote:
Old Nov 22, 2017, 06:38 PM   #13
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Have you held both phones? The Essential Phone is small, much smaller than you'd expect for the screen size. I did a quick CAD mockup for the length x width compared to the G6 (inside rectangle is Essential Phone).

the Essential is ever so slightly thinner.

Snapdragon 821 isn't bad, even outperforms 835 in floating point operations, but it's not going to be as good on battery as the 835.

Another way the Essential is better is that it's Gorilla Glass 5 on the front, the LG is only Gorilla Glass 3, and the Essential has a nearly indestructible ceramic back, while the LG has Gorilla Glass 5 (no idea why they put the 5 on the back but not the front).

I am a bit biased though, my wife's G4 had the infamous boot loop issue, and was really not a well built phone. Just not a big fan of LG. Essential is also vanilla Android, which is a plus in my opinion, and Oreo beta is already out. The LG does have a slightly bigger battery, but likely offset by the Snapdragon 835 and slightly lower res panel (~550ppi vs 506ppi).
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:59 AM   #14
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Those are pretty good prices. Canada getting ripped again.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/09/01/e...-phone-review/

Quote:
In addition to selling the device for $290 on a two-year Premium Plus plan and $490 on a regular two-year plan, the carrier is selling the phone unlocked for $1,050 off-contract.

Read more at MobileSyrup.com: Essential Phone Review: No one said hardware was easy

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2017, 03:44 PM   #15
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Lockscreen ads sounds like ****. I'd just buy an Xperia Z5. It's cheaper and no ads, and my Xperia Z3 has been nothing but solid.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2017, 07:48 PM   #16
Eisberg
Brrrrr

So I got the LG G6+ Amazon Prime edition 128gb

The lock screen offers and the ads on the home screen that you can swipe away won't bother me at all, especially for a $350 savings.

The Essential Phone was a real contender for me, and what pushed me over the edge in choosing the LG G6+ was:

Better camera and Camera features
The IP68 rating that will allow to me to take pictures even under water and in the rain.

The Essential phone has the better CPU/GPU and Gorilla Glass 5 on the front (Gorilla Glass 3 on front of LG G6+), and that was very enticing. But in the end LG G6+ won out, but only by a little.
Quote:
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:55 AM   #17
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I wonder if you can root it to get rid of the ads?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:00 AM   #18
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Lockscreen ads sounds like ****. I'd just buy an Xperia Z5. It's cheaper and no ads, and my Xperia Z3 has been nothing but solid.
Wow they force ads on you on top of having a premium price? Ya G6 is a much better deal then.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:01 PM   #19
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Wow they force ads on you on top of having a premium price? Ya G6 is a much better deal then.
Getting an $800 phone for $450 ($350 savings) and all I have to see is an offer on the lock screen, and an offer on home screen that I can swipe away, really is an excellent deal. Those offers will not bother me at all.
Quote:
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:39 PM   #20
Eisberg
Brrrrr

I got my LG G6+ yesterday. Played around with it for a little bit and loving it so far. I like that I can have 2 apps running at the same time, each taking half of the screen. The pictures are excellent especially at low light.
The lock screen offers are not bothersome at all. There is a widget that shows up on one of the home screens with an offer that I can move around, which I moved i to a page all by itself
Quote:

Last edited by Eisberg : Nov 26, 2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 08:25 AM   #21
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

A Cyber Monday deal has the Essential phone for $399.

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Wor...3f002ea66694a1
Old Nov 27, 2017, 08:34 AM   #22
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:

Wow, I wish I waited!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 08:50 AM   #23
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

I'd be all over that if I weren't trading in my iphone and watch for it.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 08:54 AM   #24
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Wow, I wish I waited!
Buy it and return the other one. I really wish this at the same camera processing as the Pixel 2. I can't find any info if Google is going to release it to others.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:10 AM   #25
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I got my LG G6+ yesterday. Played around with it for a little bit and loving it so far. I like that I can have 2 apps running at the same time, each taking half of the screen. The pictures are excellent especially at low light.
The lock screen offers are not bothersome at all. There is a widget that shows up on one of the home screens with an offer that I can move around, which I moved i to a page all by itself
So its all new phones have these ads now?

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:35 PM   #26
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
So its all new phones have these ads now?

No, about a dozen phones from Amazon, which are available only through Amazon have these ads. On one hand they have ads, on the other hand you're getting decent pieces of hardware for a couple hundred bucks off for having Amazon ads. If money is an issue and a nice phone is desired it makes a lot of sense.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:26 PM   #27
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Oh ok I thought it was US thing that would make its way up here at some point.

Amazon no big surprise I suppose. Pretty soon I bet they'll not just subsidize but give out hw for free like alexa units to get ads in our homes.

Depending on the deal I might go for it. Phones with top end mobile soc's are crazy priced now.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:51 AM   #28
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCI Blue View Post
No, about a dozen phones from Amazon, which are available only through Amazon have these ads. On one hand they have ads, on the other hand you're getting decent pieces of hardware for a couple hundred bucks off for having Amazon ads. If money is an issue and a nice phone is desired it makes a lot of sense.
Yeah, that is correct. I am guessing they did this because the Amazon Fire Phone did not do so well and they quit making Fire Phones, so this was the next best option, subsidize unlocked phones and put ads on the Lock screen and a moveable Widget on the home screen.

Here are the current phones that Amazon is subsidizing
https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Exclusi...de=14613304011
Quote:
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:56 AM   #29
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:

And they ran out during the sale and are not taking orders at that price and shipped when they get more in.

Actually it is rather curious that they don't even show when they expect to get more in stock.
Quote:
Old Nov 28, 2017, 08:58 AM   #30
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
And they ran out during the sale and are not taking orders at that price and shipped when they get more in.

Actually it is rather curious that they don't even show when they expect to get more in stock.
Almost all the Bestbuys in my area sold out too, and no info on when more are incoming.