Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 14, 2017, 09:55 AM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
Wireless charging is awesome. Just make certain you don't go "too" cheap, and get fast charge capable ones. Makes a huge difference.

Also, I love how apple is using OLED, but not making use of it for Always On Display. I was really curious to see what apple would do with it, and maybe even push always on a bit further. But nope, saving that for next year.
I'm thinking maybe they don't develop that yet so they can bring it online next year when all the phones they release have an OLED screen. Seems half-baked, but Apple is the company that doesn't like having too many variants of their OS...
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:07 AM   #122
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Is there a significant battery hit to the always on thing? Im not too familiar with the tech. If so thats probably why they dont use it.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:10 AM   #123
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Is there a significant battery hit to the always on thing? Im not too familiar with the tech. If so thats probably why they dont use it.
Not really, it basically just lights up the pixels it needs, nothing else.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:15 AM   #124
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Not really, it basically just lights up the pixels it needs, nothing else.
I guess you probably hit the nail on the head with differentiating iOS too much. I think Apple likes to add new hardware things to their new phones but iOS must stay one cohesive thing from phone to phone. They will probably do something with it if ever when all phones in their current lineup can do it.

Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:31 PM   #125
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Good-freaking-god.

Poor Samsung and Qualcomm. They just can't hang with Apple's chips.

Last edited by Razeus : Sep 14, 2017 at 12:42 PM.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2017, 01:09 PM   #126
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Whoa! Why is Apple's chips so much ahead? Does Apple's have a higher R&D budget than Qualcomm and Samsung?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2017, 01:46 PM   #127
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
Whoa! Why is Apple's chips so much ahead? Does Apple's have a higher R&D budget than Qualcomm and Samsung?
Apple seems to have acquired all the best engineers. Even when they leave, they go to Tesla and Intel. That's what I've been seeing anyway.

Qualcomm too busy collecting free money to invest in their chips since they have patents on lock.

Apple single core performance is crazy.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 01:52 PM   #128
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Here are the newly-revealed iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus battery sizes:

iPhone 8: 1821 mAh
iPhone 7: 1960 mAh
iPhone 6s: 1715 mAh
iPhone 6: 1810 mAh

iPhone 8 Plus: 2675 mAh
iPhone 7 Plus: 2900 mAh
iPhone 6s Plus: 2750 mAh
iPhone 6 Plus: 2915 mAh
Old Sep 14, 2017, 02:39 PM   #129
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Looks like they tested it alot on Asians.

Any of them could have unlocked each other's the phone if not.
uh
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2017, 02:51 PM   #130
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Here are the newly-revealed iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus battery sizes:

iPhone 8: 1821 mAh
iPhone 7: 1960 mAh
iPhone 6s: 1715 mAh
iPhone 6: 1810 mAh

iPhone 8 Plus: 2675 mAh
iPhone 7 Plus: 2900 mAh
iPhone 6s Plus: 2750 mAh
iPhone 6 Plus: 2915 mAh
Their scores, and their battery life, speak to one incredibly optimized OS.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2017, 04:02 PM   #131
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
Wireless charging is awesome. Just make certain you don't go "too" cheap, and get fast charge capable ones. Makes a huge difference.

Also, I love how apple is using OLED, but not making use of it for Always On Display. I was really curious to see what apple would do with it, and maybe even push always on a bit further. But nope, saving that for next year.
I have to admit, I still don't know what the big deal is about wireless charging.

You still have to put it in a certain place, connected by wire, to charge the phone. I really don't see the difference. At least with good old-fashioned wire, I can have the charging happen in all types of strange positions.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 06:32 PM   #132
Cyko
Rusty Pirate

Cyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
At least with good old-fashioned wire, I can have the charging happen in all types of strange positions.
Seriously.

I hate it when my phone won't charge in ye old snow angel position...

Alpha
| Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2017, 02:10 PM   #133
Elysian
SCAATSJW

https://all3dp.com/iphone-x-mean-3d-scanning/

Something interesting to think about with the X.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 09:47 PM   #134
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Good-freaking-god.

Poor Samsung and Qualcomm. They just can't hang with Apple's chips.
It's going to be a fast phone but IOS is so simplistic that it doesn't even matter. I've been using a 7 plus as a daily for the past year. Honestly, can't tell the difference between the 6s plus I went from to that in usage. Having gone back to a note 8 for my main phone I know it's single core is crap compared to the 7 plus but I can't actually tell the difference and the note 8 is running a lot more crap. I don't know if that dreaded samsung lag will come after a few months as I have noticed that in the past and a reset fixed it. The processor in iphones is fast enough but it doesn't mean anything when that processing power just equals 1 sec faster loading games. Software that doesn't take advantage of hardware is pointless.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:02 PM   #135
logical
What is my purpose?

Plenty of games take advantage of it.

Old Sep 18, 2017, 08:23 AM   #136
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Plenty of games take advantage of it.
Unless your loading a heavy intensive game constantly, it doesn't really matter. I will be interested in seeing the speed lap runs when the X comes out. I have a feeling it will be pretty dead even with the note or loose. Reason I say this is the iphone at 3gb of ram reloads apps quite often. So far on the note 8 I've noticed it wont reload untill after 25 or so apps. That's not possible on the s8 or any other android phone I've used to date aside from the one plus 5 or whatever it's called. The 6gb is coming in really handy.

Old Sep 18, 2017, 08:53 AM   #137
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Unless your loading a heavy intensive game constantly, it doesn't really matter. I will be interested in seeing the speed lap runs when the X comes out. I have a feeling it will be pretty dead even with the note or loose. Reason I say this is the iphone at 3gb of ram reloads apps quite often. So far on the note 8 I've noticed it wont reload untill after 25 or so apps. That's not possible on the s8 or any other android phone I've used to date aside from the one plus 5 or whatever it's called. The 6gb is coming in really handy.
The iP7+ did lose a speed lap/loading test to a recent android(cant remember which one) but it took a whole year and the next generation of Android phones to beat it. No doubt it will take the crown again and with the new cpu it will probably be until next iPhone before it is beaten again. iP8+ should be out this week and we will see how it fairs since it has basically the same specs as the iPX.

Old Sep 18, 2017, 09:27 AM   #138
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
The iP7+ did lose a speed lap/loading test to a recent android(cant remember which one) but it took a whole year and the next generation of Android phones to beat it. No doubt it will take the crown again and with the new cpu it will probably be until next iPhone before it is beaten again. iP8+ should be out this week and we will see how it fairs since it has basically the same specs as the iPX.
It didn't loose because it was slower, it lost because it was busy reloading apps since apple refuses to go past 3gb of ram. The x is no different it still has 3gb of ram. Reloading apps faster isn't going to change that run by much which is what my point was.

We've come to a point that unless you like rendering videos on your phone or your phone is your personal gaming machine that these processor speeds increases have become a bit unnecessary. None of these heavy intensive tasks are imo what a phone is for. For web browsing, instagraming, tweeting, youtube etc what most people use their phones for the difference is close to none as long as software is running well. I am all for a faster iphone, however they need to add features to ios on iphones to take advantage of that untapped processing power that isn't just games. Having used the i7 plus as my daily main phone for a year since the note 7 fiasco I can summarize it as: the phone works 95% of the time as it should. Aside from some minor rare hickups it just works. Now, if I can have a phone that does more than just works on the basics and doesn't have weird issues then it's a better phone. For people who just want a phone to do basic things with then yeah an iphone just works but if that's the case you don't need to be spending 1k on a phone either.

Last edited by nycdarkness : Sep 18, 2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 09:37 AM   #139
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
It didn't loose because it was slower, it lost because it was busy reloading apps since apple refuses to go past 3gb of ram. The x is no different it still has 3gb of ram. Reloading apps faster isn't going to change that run by much which is what my point was.
Also finding the 6GB on my Note8 to be extremely useful.
I haven't encountered a single hiccup yet, and every form of interaction with the phone has been ridiculously fluid thus far.

I actually received a notification from the device 2 days ago that it has been a week since I last rebooted, but couldn't have cared less -- the feeling of smoothness and fluidity has thus far exceeded any device I've used to date, iOS, Android, Windows, or otherwise.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:08 AM   #140
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:

We've come to a point that unless you like rendering videos on your phone or your phone is your personal gaming machine that these processor speeds increases have become a bit unnecessary. None of these heavy intensive tasks are imo what a phone is for. For web browsing, instagraming, tweeting, youtube etc what most people use their phones for the difference is close to none as long as software is running well. I am all for a faster iphone, however they need to add features to ios on iphones to take advantage of that untapped processing power that isn't just games. Having used the i7 plus as my daily main phone for a year since the note 7 fiasco I can summarize it as: the phone works 95% of the time as it should. Aside from some minor rare hickups it just works. Now, if I can have a phone that does more than just works on the basics and doesn't have weird issues then it's a better phone. For people who just want a phone to do basic things with then yeah an iphone just works but if that's the case you don't need to be spending 1k on a phone either.
Depends on which speed test youre talking about. The one I watched the iPhone lost not because it had to reload apps but because its animations are like 2-3 slower than android animations on the particular phone it lost to(I really have to remember what video it was) The iPhone would feel a ton faster if its animations were sped up but apple refuses to do that. Back in the day when I was jailbreaking the first tweak added was always the one to speed up animations.

Apple hasnt need to move to more ram yet because iOS is so damn optimized. They only move when they absolutely need to... they hold off as long as people for that profit margin. If Apple did have a 6gb ram phone it would probably completely trash any android phone even more than it does now.

Another thing to take note is that 32bit apps will not be supported with iOS 11 so its going to be a 64bit environment which will give it a little bit more of a speed bump as well.

As far as using the power of a new processor.. thats true of any phone. Samsungs Note 8 has what 8 cores? What on their phone is making use of an octacore? Legit question. Any app that is on an android phone is bound to be on the App store and most likely vice versa(minus exclusive stuff like imovie) What has any company added that would make use of these more powerful processors in phones?

Its all part of the pissing contest that sells phones. Tag lines like "the most powerful phone" or "the most of X" sell phones.

Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:19 AM   #141
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Depends on which speed test youre talking about. The one I watched the iPhone lost not because it had to reload apps but because its animations are like 2-3 slower than android animations on the particular phone it lost to(I really have to remember what video it was) The iPhone would feel a ton faster if its animations were sped up but apple refuses to do that. Back in the day when I was jailbreaking the first tweak added was always the one to speed up animations.

Apple hasnt need to move to more ram yet because iOS is so damn optimized. They only move when they absolutely need to... they hold off as long as people for that profit margin. If Apple did have a 6gb ram phone it would probably completely trash any android phone even more than it does now.

Another thing to take note is that 32bit apps will not be supported with iOS 11 so its going to be a 64bit environment which will give it a little bit more of a speed bump as well.

As far as using the power of a new processor.. thats true of any phone. Samsungs Note 8 has what 8 cores? What on their phone is making use of an octacore? Legit question. Any app that is on an android phone is bound to be on the App store and most likely vice versa(minus exclusive stuff like imovie) What has any company added that would make use of these more powerful processors in phones?

Its all part of the pissing contest that sells phones. Tag lines like "the most powerful phone" or "the most of X" sell phones.
I disagree on the ram part for iphones. 3gb is not enough. I get reloading quite often when switching around. Usually this isn't a big deal, what bothers me is sometimes I have no easy way of moving information from one app to another so I use app switcher to see the info I need to move to the other app (apple get the dual apps on THE PHONES ALREADY) and I find the app has already reloaded and just see the APP icon. That is my biggest gripe about the iphone.

Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:31 AM   #142
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I disagree on the ram part for iphones. 3gb is not enough. I get reloading quite often when switching around. Usually this isn't a big deal, what bothers me is sometimes I have no easy way of moving information from one app to another so I use app switcher to see the info I need to move to the other app (apple get the dual apps on THE PHONES ALREADY) and I find the app has already reloaded and just see the APP icon. That is my biggest gripe about the iphone.
I'm not sure if that's really ram related or excessive power management. I have that happen on really lightweight apps too, things that definitely don't take up a lot of ram.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 08:52 AM   #143
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyko View Post
Seriously.

I hate it when my phone won't charge in ye old snow angel position...

I'm serious. A simple plug and cable is much more convenient and saves a ton of space since you don't have to make room for the Qi charger.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 09:05 AM   #144
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I'm serious. A simple plug and cable is much more convenient and saves a ton of space since you don't have to make room for the Qi charger.
I'm with you man. It seems silly, an expensive, unnecessary "convenience."
Old Sep 19, 2017, 09:23 AM   #145
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I'm with you man. It seems silly, an expensive, unnecessary "convenience."
Ya, it's one less thing to carry. I can charge my phone anywhere with a simple cable.

But I guess the point of a Qi charger is to have it home on your nightstand, not carrying it around. I suppose having on of those chargers built into your car would be a benefit though.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 09:24 AM   #146
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Old Sep 19, 2017, 09:53 AM   #147
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I never bothered with any performance benchmark. All flagship smartphones circa 2014 above were fast enough to run any apps without any problems. I mean, you won't encode videos while playing games on phones isn't it? My old Snapdragon 801 runs everything fine, emulators and whatnot.
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:13 AM   #148
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

It's impressive how much computation power Apple cram in the phone but it just that, a phone. Does it change the way you use it? When will the AR stuff take off?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:39 AM   #149
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsee View Post
I never bothered with any performance benchmark. All flagship smartphones circa 2014 above were fast enough to run any apps without any problems. I mean, you won't encode videos while playing games on phones isn't it? My old Snapdragon 801 runs everything fine, emulators and whatnot.
well it depends what you use it for

Its like saying whats the point with a 1080ti when I can surf the web with a igpu

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:01 AM   #150
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Since you guys are smarter than me at this, how fast can these chips get before they run so hot it's not feasible anymore?

I don't think I'm asking the question right, but it's obvious it can't be cooled with a fan, so there has to be a point that increases speed is no longer a benefit.